daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old November 20th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #2761
mavn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 180
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
That's simply not true. I read marrio415's post and cringed at some of his reasons for England deserving the world cup (i.e. "Don't forget we invented the bloody game and that alone should mean we get it").

I hope thast was meant as tongue in cheek (if it was, fair enough ) marrio415 because that sort of sentiment doesn't win anyone over!

Manv, it may be the case that your transport is better than ours, but I doubt ours is that much worse that it'll make any difference to voting members' intentions in four years time.

I think England and China are probably the two early favourites, but a lot can happen in four years. It'll be a great race though!
I never wanted to suggest that you wouldn't get it because of it, merely that it's something in wich you are (slightly) behind on some of the other bids. You are ahead on others.
mavn no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #2762
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,764
Likes (Received): 10311

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
And England criticized France that "Stade de France" would be too old and outdated by 2012. You dangled all kinds of fantastic stadium designs in front of the electing committee. Now that you got it, you managed to come up with the worst olympic stadium (relatvie to it's time) ever... Even in 2012, the Stade the France will be way more beautifull. Let alone 2013...

And this stunt should pretty much stops any English criticism were a country to make a WC bid which incorporates 1 or 2 temporary extensions because they can't sustain all those stadiums. You managed to come up with a temporary design when you only have to build 1 (so to peak) stadium...
I'm sorry, but you've lost some credibilty with that argument; there was no stunt whatsoever. The IOC were perfectly aware, even if you weren't, that those designs were conceptual and London 2012 was not elected because of some pretty drawings. The IOC were also perfectly aware, even if you weren't, that London's stadium would have 55,000 temporary seats.

The reason the Stade de France was worse than London's stadium (and the reason it's still worse than the new stadium) is that it wasn't designed solely with athletics in mind. The IOC recognised that and that's why the IOC went for London over Paris. That and the great Olympic park we're putting together in East London.

We put forward a stadium designed for the sport it will be hosting. And nothing has changed in that respect apart from the fact that in 2005 that was only a promise but now it's a reality if not on the ground, but in detailed plans and designs.

Like our Olympic bid, the stadiums in an England 2018 bid will be designed for the sport we're bidding for. This puts us at an advantage over bids from China, Australia and the US.

Holland/Belgium will probably be the only bid that can also say they don't have running tracks and that's great for them. And of course it is sensible, if you can't sustain the capacities, to go for temporary seating, I've no problem with that. But they must be aware they'll be going up against countries where that won't be necessary. Whether that will put them at a disadvantage, I can't say.

So, firstly, this isn't the place to discuss London 2012 but if you're going to use it as an example at least get your facts right. And secondly, I agree that it would be a bit hypocritical of English people to criticise temporary seating and as I've said I don't have a problem with it. BUT I don't chose the winner of 2018, FIFA do and they may think differently, who knows.

Last edited by RobH; November 20th, 2007 at 04:32 PM.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 20th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #2763
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I'm sorry, but you've lost some credibilty with that argument; there was no stunt whatsoever. The IOC were perfectly aware, even if you weren't, that those designs were conceptual and London 2012 was not elected because of some pretty drawings. The IOC were also perfectly aware, even if you weren't, that London's stadium would have 55,000 temporary seats.

While there was no stunt Rob, I do believe that the fantastic renders produced played a key role in the bid as a whole and in the Singapore presentation. Sochi and London produced excellent visions of their Olympic Stadiums(whether a final design or not) and this would have gained them some votes. Don't get me wrong, the majority of the votes were for other reasons but "pretty drawings" did help to the vision across to IOC members. To say that IOC members were all perfectly aware that the stadium was a concept and not a design is idealistic.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #2764
mavn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 180
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I'm sorry, but you've lost some credibilty with that argument; there was no stunt whatsoever. The IOC were perfectly aware, even if you weren't, that those designs were conceptual and London 2012 was not elected because of some pretty drawings. The IOC were also perfectly aware, even if you weren't, that London's stadium would have 55,000 temporary seats.

The reason the Stade de France was worse than London's stadium (and the reason it's still worse than the new stadium) is that it wasn't designed solely with athletics in mind. The IOC recognised that and that's why the IOC went for London over Paris. That and the great Olympic park we're putting together in East London.

We put forward a stadium designed for the sport it will be hosting. And nothing has changed in that respect apart from the fact that in 2005 that was only a promise but now it's a reality if not on the ground, but in detailed plans and designs.

Like our Olympic bid, the stadiums in an England 2018 bid will be built for the sport we're bidding for. This puts us at an advantage over bids from China, Australia and the US.

Holland/Belgium will probably be the only bid that can also say they don't have running tracks and that's great for them. And of course it is sensible, if you can't sustain the capacities, to go for temporary seating, I've no problem with that. But they must be aware they'll be going up against countries where that won't be necessary. Whether that will put them at a disadvantage, I can't say.

So, firstly, this isn't the place to discuss London 2012 but if you're going to use it as an example at least get your facts right. And secondly, I agree that it would be a bit hypocritical of English people to criticise temporary seating and as I've said I don't have a problem with it. BUT I don't chose the winner of 2018, FIFA do and they may think differently, who knows.
Ok, I never really followed the race for 2012 very closely I didn't now that the temporary design was known. All I got was that england criticized the French stadium and the French criticized London transportation. And from that (not fully informed) standpoint the current Olympic stadium design doesn't look very nice...

A thing that surprises me though is that you say that the IOC wants the Olympic stadium to be an athletics stadium. I thought it was just supposed to be the center of the Olympics. Apart from Athletics it will host the ceremonies, football final (in most recent events, London will be Wembley I guess). Athletics is just (a big) part of the things it will host. I'm really surprised that the wonderful multi functional design of Stade de France would be held against them... Especially because the purposely build London stadium will lose 2/3 of its seats after the event. I think all athletics stadiums should be designed like the Paris one. It makes it a perfect Athletics stadium as well as a great stadium for other events. But this is another discussion for another topic...

As for temporary seating, it won't be necessary for Holland. Kerkrade is the only city that has apparently said the want to use such a construction to be hosts. That won't happen tough as we'll have at least 6 to 7 WC qualified stadiums in Holland of which probably only 5 or 6 will be used by 2018. For Belgium it probably won't be necessary either although it will be a tighter fit for them. And there will probably be no athletics stadiums in the bid. Maybe the Brussels one will be (it currently doesn't look like it will) And, but it's a long shot, Amsterdam/Almere might have one.

I'm pretty sure Amsterdam doesn't want to miss out on the final after they did in Euro 2000. That left some serious scars. And the new Feyenoord Stadium looks like it will be bigger (70000+) than the Amsterdam Arena extension (65000) will be. The government has officially announced an investigation into a bid for the 2028 Olympics and the stadium could be build by 2018. It would probably be in between the cities of Amsterdam and Almere (it had 50 inhabitants in 1975, 190000 at the moment and will have close to 400000 in 2030) The cities are very close neighbors and in a few decades will probably be totally connected with a big recreational area (olympic park?) in between. It could be presented as an Amsterdam Olympics and either an Almere or 2nd Amsterdam WC stadium. This is all very hypothetical, but there will be a serious race between Amsterdam and Rotterdam as to who will have the biggest stadium and who will get the final. I guess this can only have an overall positive effect on the eventual capacities of the big stadiums and therefor the bid as a whole.
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #2765
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
Ok, I never really followed the race for 2012 very closely I didn't now that the temporary design was known. All I got was that england criticized the French stadium and the French criticized London transportation. And from that (not fully informed) standpoint the current Olympic stadium design doesn't look very nice...

A thing that surprises me though is that you say that the IOC wants the Olympic stadium to be an athletics stadium. I thought it was just supposed to be the center of the Olympics. Apart from Athletics it will host the ceremonies, football final (in most recent events, London will be Wembley I guess). Athletics is just (a big) part of the things it will host. I'm really surprised that the wonderful multi functional design of Stade de France would be held against them... Especially because the purposely build London stadium will lose 2/3 of its seats after the event. I think all athletics stadiums should be designed like the Paris one. It makes it a perfect Athletics stadium as well as a great stadium for other events. But this is another discussion for another topic...

As for temporary seating, it won't be necessary for Holland. Kerkrade is the only city that has apparently said the want to use such a construction to be hosts. That won't happen tough as we'll have at least 6 to 7 WC qualified stadiums in Holland of which probably only 5 or 6 will be used by 2018. For Belgium it probably won't be necessary either although it will be a tighter fit for them. And there will probably be no athletics stadiums in the bid. Maybe the Brussels one will be (it currently doesn't look like it will) And, but it's a long shot, Amsterdam/Almere might have one.

I'm pretty sure Amsterdam doesn't want to miss out on the final after they did in Euro 2000. That left some serious scars. And the new Feyenoord Stadium looks like it will be bigger (70000+) than the Amsterdam Arena extension (65000) will be. The government has officially announced an investigation into a bid for the 2028 Olympics and the stadium could be build by 2018. It would probably be in between the cities of Amsterdam and Almere (it had 50 inhabitants in 1975, 190000 at the moment and will have close to 400000 in 2030) The cities are very close neighbors and in a few decades will probably be totally connected with a big recreational area (olympic park?) in between. It could be presented as an Amsterdam Olympics and either an Almere or 2nd Amsterdam WC stadium. This is all very hypothetical, but there will be a serious race between Amsterdam and Rotterdam as to who will have the biggest stadium and who will get the final. I guess this can only have an overall positive effect on the eventual capacities of the big stadiums and therefor the bid as a whole.
Is a thread open for all stadium projects in the Netherlands or for the Netherlands possible 2018 bid in particular?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #2766
Joop20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 610
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Is a thread open for all stadium projects in the Netherlands or for the Netherlands possible 2018 bid in particular?
Yeppers!

Dutch stadium developments: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=310978

Benelux WC2018 bid: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=547368
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:28 AM   #2767
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!
 
Jack Rabbit Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Empire
Posts: 6,607
Likes (Received): 6296

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
When fans want to come to the worldcup we can offer them (to get into the country) 2 High speed rail links, several normal speed rail links, Numerous motorways, and Airports that are better connected to several city centers. To get into England you have 1 High speed rail link, 1 normal speed rail link, no motorways and bigger Airports which are less connected to their own city centre than the Dutch are to several. You can't really argue with that can you? The facts speak for themselves
That's great...fans will be able to see the football world cup hosted mainly in minimum capacity athletic stadiums with running tracks around the pitches....but they'll be able to get there quick!! FIFA are more concerned about stadiums, stadiums capacity, suitability for football…realistic stadiums, not a list of fantasy stadiums, etc etc. Sure, infrastructure plays a large part of a bid, but when you consider South Africa and Brazil are the next two hosts, given their infrastructure problems (particularly Brazil) I seriously doubt a few slow trains and a bit of rush hour traffic is going to derail England’s bid (get it…derail, cus of the trains and…the…) ….and besides, part of the whole reason for bidding for a WC is so you can have an excuse to improve your country’s infrastructure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
On the Hooligan part, I think English reputation in international football speaks for itself... Not wanting to disregard problems with other countries, but when next summer the English will make problems again, it could have a negative impact on your bid. Like the riots in Italy have had for the Italian bid for Euro 2012. We have our share of club rivalry hooliganism in Holland, but I think we can be pretty sure that it won't happen with the "Orange" fans.
A history lesson: The world (Europe) looked on smugly (with some justification) back in the 80's at the rampant hooliganism in Britain; and at the dawn of the 90's the football world took their eyes away from England's shores, rather content in the knowledge that they had superior fans and safety procedures, that they could hold this fact against England for many years to come. Meanwhile, back in England, at the start of the 90's, while no-one was watching, England said "we need to stop this sh*t right now!" and (unusually for the country perhaps) very successful schemes, initiatives and laws were implemented quickly and efficiently to stop the problem....all-seated stadiums, anti-racism/hooliganism fan clubs, severe actions against rowdy fans...and the Premiership was born, and before Europe knew what was happening England's league had become one of (if not THE) safest in the world, attracting the best talent and becoming the most watched league on the planet; no fences needed inside the stadiums, no riot police, little or no racism, fans of the national team travelling in even greater quantities with even fewer bad incidents (ratio of fans to fan incidents is staggeringly low)...and soon the rest of Europe's smugness evaporated when evidence of their own failings (Spain-racism; Italy-corruption, bribes, murder; Holland itself has had it’s share of domestic and ‘Orange’ violence, etc etc) became apparent and people started to look at the English model of how to combat these problems.

But alas, some poor fools living in the past with a grudge against the country, brought the issue up as a pathetically weak and hypocritical point of criticism for an England 2018 WC bid, only to be shot down magnificently when England did indeed win the bid and staged a phenomenal tournament....here endeth the lesson. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
The funny thing here, is that most of the English seem to think they have a god given right to get the WC in 2018
It's funny how ironic this statement is. In trying to assert your view that "the English think they have a god given right to get the WC in 2018" you are in fact making yourself look foolish. Shall I tell you what's funny? What's funny is that I've heard a million people like you who spout this crap about all English people thinking the WC should automatically be held in their country...wow, I bow down to your in-depth generalised knowledge of what most English people think! Like RobH has said, I rather cringed at marrio415's comment, but of course you leapt on that: "ah ha, I knew all English people thought that" ....I can assure you, just to clear your delusions, it is not the case, a few certainly, but not all. I've heard many claim Uruguay should be host for 2030...because they have a 'God given right'??? I heard many people say Athens should host the 2000 Olympics because it would be symbolic and appropriate.....there are many examples of countries wanting to host an event because they feel they should get it, and why is England's reasoning any different? They did invent the sport that we see today; doesn't that entitle the people there to have a desire, affixation and maybe even a sense of ownership with the football WC that is unlike any other country in the world?

No-one, even people like mario415, is suggesting the tournament be given to England on the basis of it being the 'homeland' of the sport, there are numerous and plentiful reasons to give England the WC apart from that, like stadiums, infrastructure, history, fan support etc etc, but it is still one of the personal factors that can be considered with regards to the bid.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora  
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:02 AM   #2768
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

I really don't think access to England or London for that matter is a problem. Masses of people enter and leave the country on a daily basis and move between cities with ease.
The Benelux bid needs to find what unique about its bid and what it can offer FIFA, because it won't win by comparing its stadia and transport system to that of England.

Whats unique about the benelux bid? what can you offer that other countries cannot?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:29 AM   #2769
rob_right
In the brig
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 上海 Shanghai
Posts: 819
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn
The funny thing here, is that most of the English seem to think they have a god given right to get the WC in 2018
I agree with you mavn, living in England myself there is indeed a blind arrogance from a large number of English people that they do indeed think they are best in the world...I guess many still think the British Empire still exists!

The tabloid newspapers in the UK effectively have more power than the government and are very good at stirring up this nationalistic ignorance, especially amongst those with little education. Witness the current hysteria about the England football manager if we don't qualify for Euro 2008 - qualification is seen as a god given right - none of them will admit that we simply aren't good enough!

The London 2012 Olympics are another great example - the London press continually spout all this nonsense that hypes London as the greatest city in the world blah blah. The IOC somewhat suprisingly have swallowed it, but I think it is now becoming alarmingly obvious that in terms of deliverability the city really is seriously lacking. Bear in mind London was awarded the 2005 World Athletics Championships and failed to deliver, so already has a track record of failure! Credibility in UK sport was only restored by the Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games and the Birmingham 2003 World Indoor Athletics Championships, two completely different cities with a completely different attitude and an independent track record of deliverability. London is simply filled with people that are arrogant and complacent, to such an extent that they no longer feel they have anything to prove to the world. Hence they will serve up the expensive half-baked crap we are seeing in the form of the Logo, the Olympic stadium and the aquatics centre!

I would love the World Cup 2018 to come to England but unfortunately the people promoting the idea are the arrogant and incompetent members of the FA which fit into the same category as those described above. The UK does have many attributes that could win a bid on merit, but my fear is the same arrogance will take over and we could end up delivering somthing sub standard and at obscene cost. Only if we can prove to FIFA that our World Cup 2018 bid can be delivered to a higher standard than London 2012 should we be considered eligible to host it.

Last edited by rob_right; November 21st, 2007 at 01:44 AM.
rob_right no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:41 AM   #2770
mavn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 180
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim View Post
That's great...fans will be able to see the football world cup hosted mainly in minimum capacity athletic stadiums with running tracks around the pitches....but they'll be able to get there quick!! FIFA are more concerned about stadiums, stadiums capacity, suitability for football…realistic stadiums, not a list of fantasy stadiums, etc etc. Sure, infrastructure plays a large part of a bid, but when you consider South Africa and Brazil are the next two hosts, given their infrastructure problems (particularly Brazil) I seriously doubt a few slow trains and a bit of rush hour traffic is going to derail England’s bid (get it…derail, cus of the trains and…the…) ….and besides, part of the whole reason for bidding for a WC is so you can have an excuse to improve your country’s infrastructure!


A history lesson: The world (Europe) looked on smugly (with some justification) back in the 80's at the rampant hooliganism in Britain; and at the dawn of the 90's the football world took their eyes away from England's shores, rather content in the knowledge that they had superior fans and safety procedures, that they could hold this fact against England for many years to come. Meanwhile, back in England, at the start of the 90's, while no-one was watching, England said "we need to stop this sh*t right now!" and (unusually for the country perhaps) very successful schemes, initiatives and laws were implemented quickly and efficiently to stop the problem....all-seated stadiums, anti-racism/hooliganism fan clubs, severe actions against rowdy fans...and the Premiership was born, and before Europe knew what was happening England's league had become one of (if not THE) safest in the world, attracting the best talent and becoming the most watched league on the planet; no fences needed inside the stadiums, no riot police, little or no racism, fans of the national team travelling in even greater quantities with even fewer bad incidents (ratio of fans to fan incidents is staggeringly low)...and soon the rest of Europe's smugness evaporated when evidence of their own failings (Spain-racism; Italy-corruption, bribes, murder; Holland itself has had it’s share of domestic and ‘Orange’ violence, etc etc) became apparent and people started to look at the English model of how to combat these problems.

But alas, some poor fools living in the past with a grudge against the country, brought the issue up as a pathetically weak and hypocritical point of criticism for an England 2018 WC bid, only to be shot down magnificently when England did indeed win the bid and staged a phenomenal tournament....here endeth the lesson. 


It's funny how ironic this statement is. In trying to assert your view that "the English think they have a god given right to get the WC in 2018" you are in fact making yourself look foolish. Shall I tell you what's funny? What's funny is that I've heard a million people like you who spout this crap about all English people thinking the WC should automatically be held in their country...wow, I bow down to your in-depth generalised knowledge of what most English people think! Like RobH has said, I rather cringed at marrio415's comment, but of course you leapt on that: "ah ha, I knew all English people thought that" ....I can assure you, just to clear your delusions, it is not the case, a few certainly, but not all. I've heard many claim Uruguay should be host for 2030...because they have a 'God given right'??? I heard many people say Athens should host the 2000 Olympics because it would be symbolic and appropriate.....there are many examples of countries wanting to host an event because they feel they should get it, and why is England's reasoning any different? They did invent the sport that we see today; doesn't that entitle the people there to have a desire, affixation and maybe even a sense of ownership with the football WC that is unlike any other country in the world?

No-one, even people like mario415, is suggesting the tournament be given to England on the basis of it being the 'homeland' of the sport, there are numerous and plentiful reasons to give England the WC apart from that, like stadiums, infrastructure, history, fan support etc etc, but it is still one of the personal factors that can be considered with regards to the bid.
Just the first paragraph of your post alone is so full of uninformed complete and utter nonsense, that I don't really feel the need to respond... Why educate yourself about someone's bid if you can be ignorant...???

Just a few things.

- Our bid includes NO athletics stadium. All pure football stadiums.
- The list of stadiums isn't fantasy. They'll be build whether or not we'll get the WC.
- Not all stadiums will be minimum capacity. They will beat FIFA's requirements with ease. You think we're some kind of footballing development country??? Our average League attendance is similar to France and Italy. Would you treat a bid from them with such disrespect?

I mean, did you even bother to do the least bid of research on other Bids??? Your ignorance is unmeasured...

Capacity wise our bid will be behind the English (but pretty similar for instance to what Germany offered last year). On stadium facilities though, you'll have nothing on us. And still, Do you really think Fifa cares that much about 5000-10000 seats more or less in a stadium??? Sure it's part of a bid but there are other parts of a bid just as, if not more, important. Like I said, The Fifa has minimum capacities regulation. When you can fulfill those, you can bid. And we'll exceed them with ease.....

- I never claimed England would not get it because of the public transportation system, just that it's something in wich you are behind on what we can offer.

The reactions that this sole argument has provoked in this topic pretty much shows the complete lack of respect from (some) of the English toward other bids. There are 60 pages of English people criticizing other bids, and only bragging about big stadiums (of which half needs to be build or expanded as well...) but when somebody finds something on which the English bid is lacking in comparison to another bid, All hell breaks lose and I'm accused of hating the English...

But hey, keep up this arrogance, I'm sure it will help you get the WC...

Last edited by mavn; November 21st, 2007 at 01:57 AM.
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:48 AM   #2771
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,764
Likes (Received): 10311

Quote:
The tabloid newspapers in the UK effectively have more power than the government and are very good at stirring up this nationalistic ignorance, especially amongst those with little education. Witness the current hysteria about the England football manager if we don't qualify for Euro 2008 - qualification is seen as a god given right - none of them will admit that we simply aren't good enough!
That's about the only sensible thing you've written on these forums since you arrived. Well done!

Saying that, it does seem as if we might get lucky! Here's hoping!

Quote:
The London 2012 Olympics are another great example - the London press continually spout all this nonsense that hypes London as the greatest city in the world blah blah. The IOC somewhat suprisingly have swallowed it.

The tabloid press are completely negative about the Olympics; they have been from the start. Anything they can jump on that's even minor is blown out of all proportion. I don't know what world you live in but it's certainly not England.

If the tabloid press had their way, we wouldn't have an Olympics in 2012

Quote:
London is simply filled with people that are arrogant and complacent, to such an extent that they no longer feel they have anything to prove to the world.
OMG, more shit coming from the brummie who thinks he's an expert on everything and everyone and who does his best to stereotype London in every post he writes in this forum! You are nothing but a troll as far as I'm concerned.

Any more bollocks you want to serve up on this forum before you're laughed out of the door? That just proves to me you really are filled with bitterness and your views on London, the Olympics etc. are based on nothing but hatred for anything and everything south of the Watford Gap. You're a joke with no worthwhile opinions, and an oxymoronic (emphasis on the last three syllables) username as far as I'm concerned.

Please people, when reading his posts on London 2012 in other threads, bear what he's just said (and the general tone of his posts) in mind as it explains a hell of a lot.

Last edited by RobH; November 21st, 2007 at 02:07 AM.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:33 AM   #2772
dennol
...
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Eindhoven
Posts: 2,540
Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
The Benelux bid needs to find what unique about its bid and what it can offer FIFA, because it won't win by comparing its stadia and transport system to that of England.

Whats unique about the benelux bid? what can you offer that other countries cannot?
Legal weed, hashies, psychedelic drugs and prostitution.


Seriously if the Benelux gets the World Cup it would just be a sign that smaller countries can also host it if they join forces. The bid itself doesn't have to be exceptional. Also I would like to mention that IMO most Dutch stadiums are pretty well designed, but unfortunately too small for international football nowadays. Football is pretty much the only serious sport here so our stadiums are designed for it: no running tracks, stands close to the pitch and good acoustics. But we do need to make/build them bigger and maybe add some fancy architecture to win souls...
dennol no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 03:44 AM   #2773
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennol View Post
Legal weed, hashies, psychedelic drugs and prostitution.


Seriously if the Benelux gets the World Cup it would just be a sign that smaller countries can also host it if they join forces. The bid itself doesn't have to be exceptional. Also I would like to mention that IMO most Dutch stadiums are pretty well designed, but unfortunately too small for international football nowadays. Football is pretty much the only serious sport here so our stadiums are designed for it: no running tracks, stands close to the pitch and good acoustics. But we do need to make/build them bigger and maybe add some fancy architecture to win souls...
bids are won by lobbying and wooing. since FIFA have only 25 or so voting members focus on them...stadium contracts, free weed, free prozzies.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:16 AM   #2774
mavn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 180
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
bids are won by lobbying and wooing. since FIFA have only 25 or so voting members focus on them...stadium contracts, free weed, free prozzies.
If we would have an organized program for free prostitutes for all fans without a ticket the hooligan problem would be pretty much solved and all eastern European and Asian fans would feel right at home "Free bl*wj*bs at all public toilets" And I'm sure we can come up with a nice treat for all the female fans as well

And, it's too bad our biggest and most luxurious wh*r*house Yab-Yum will be closing. We could offer a free WC-pass to all Fifa delegate members. The final voting would be a formality
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 08:43 AM   #2775
djwizard84
Registered User
 
djwizard84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: mx
Posts: 109
Likes (Received): 3

it's gonna be BENELUX for 2018 World Cup...

even if i'm mexican, but inside FIFA.. they are on the top of mind. everybody is talking about BENELUX!!!

my bet goes with them...
djwizard84 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 10:51 AM   #2776
Benjuk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 920
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
If we would have an organized program for free prostitutes for all fans without a ticket the hooligan problem would be pretty much solved and all eastern European and Asian fans would feel right at home "Free bl*wj*bs at all public toilets" And I'm sure we can come up with a nice treat for all the female fans as well

And, it's too bad our biggest and most luxurious wh*r*house Yab-Yum will be closing. We could offer a free WC-pass to all Fifa delegate members. The final voting would be a formality

The kinds of idiots who enjoy running riot and fighting, etc., probably wouldn't know what to do if contronted by an attractive woman offering sexual favours... They'd probably punch her in the teeth and go looking for another beer.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:00 AM   #2777
Lostboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,028
Likes (Received): 19

Witness the current hysteria about the England football manager if we don't qualify for Euro 2008 - qualification is seen as a god given right - none of them will admit that we simply aren't good enough!

No, a lot of people see the England team haven't been good enough but given that they are one of the major football nations in a large European Country, qualification may not be a right but it is surely a reasonable expectation, something the Spanish, French, Italians and Germans would certainly have, why should we be less ambitious?
__________________
The Scottish people have a moral duty to vote SNP in May.
Lostboy no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 03:39 PM   #2778
Quintana
Registered Abuser
 
Quintana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 美好的码头
Posts: 4,316
Likes (Received): 1157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
The kinds of idiots who enjoy running riot and fighting, etc., probably wouldn't know what to do if contronted by an attractive woman offering sexual favours... They'd probably punch her in the teeth and go looking for another beer.
One of the reasons why the English "fans" weren't causing problems in The Netherlands as opposed to Belgium during Euro 2000 was apparently because they were simply to stoned.
Quintana no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM   #2779
marrio415
Registered User
 
marrio415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mansfield and Oxford UK
Posts: 835
Likes (Received): 22

[QUOTE=RobH;16595616]That's simply not true. I read marrio415's post and cringed at some of his reasons for England deserving the world cup (i.e. "Don't forget we invented the bloody game and that alone should mean we get it").

I hope thast was meant as tongue in cheek (if it was, fair enough ) marrio415 because that sort of sentiment doesn't win anyone over!

QUOTE]

of course it is but i do get wound so easy at the brit bashing when people clerly haven't been to the uk or england for that matter and germany 2006 our fans were well behaved it was the polish that were the trouble
marrio415 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:40 PM   #2780
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,764
Likes (Received): 10311

Fair enough. For the number of fans we had in Germany there were very few incidents. Same for Portugal. It bores me when people bring up the hooliganism issue as well because it really isn't an issue (or if it is, it's a small one now).
RobH está en línea ahora  


Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu