daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #261
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
ExSydney, is that stadiumWA actually going to be built?
What about Subiaco? Thats what, about 50k? AAMI stadium is about 52k.

I dont think stadiums are an issue. Stadiums can always be upgraded, seating reconfigured to bring the fans closer to the pitch, stadiums built. The issue is the world cup clashing with the other codes in my opinion.
The only code that has a problem is AFL and especially in Melbourne.As mentioned previously,the AFL dont own the MCG.If the World Cup was in Oz,then maybe the AFL might keep Telstra Dome to itself.

As for the NRL,there are numerous NRL standard venues across Sydney(SCG,Parramatta Stadium,Concord etc) and Brisbane(GABBA,ANZ) that can cater the local Rugby League teams for a couple of months.

Saying that,the AFL and NRL have moved their season ahead 1 month for the Sydney Olympics,so they are willing to adjust if they have too

As for StadiumWA,there is obviously a demand for a large stadium to cater for both AFL,Rugby and Football codes.Thats pic is a proposal,but I can see it happening.
As for AAMI,i know it holds 55,000 and is an all seater,but do you really think its up to the standard of others?To me,its not a suitable football venue.The MCG gets away with it because of its size.Adelaide would probably require a permanant rectangular stadium seating roughly 25,000 and upgradable with temporary stands to 40,000 for a WC.
ExSydney no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #262
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Shifting the topic a little have the Brazilians come up with any redevolpment plans yet? I remember seeing 2-3 renders for new stadium awhile ago but nothing in terms of capacities.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #263
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess
I believe the "rules" are....

10+ 40,000 capacity
Two stadiums in only 1 city
70,000+ capacity for final
Either 50,000+ or 60,000+ for semi's
i just had a look at the excellent austadiums.com and from what i can tell right now these are the stadiums australia could use for a possible world cup bid:

1) mcg (100,00, melbourne): acceptable, but it's an oval so it's not very well configured for football.
2) telstra stadium (83,500, sydney): acceptable, despite large spaces behind each goal.
3) telstra dome (56,347, melbourne): acceptable, but again an oval.
4) suncorp stadium (52,500, brisbane): perfect configuration. definately in.
5) AAMI stadium (51,515, adelaide): again, another oval.
6) subiaco oval (42,922, perth): and another oval.

rejected venues:
- queensland sports and athletics centre (48,400, brisbane): melbourne's already hosting two venues, brisbane's already hosting one, and on top of that it's an athletics venue - hardly ideal.
- gabba (42,000, brisbane): as above, and it's yet another oval.
- sydney cricket ground (44,000, sydney): as above.
- aussie stadium (42,000, sydney): as above, although it's configuration is good.

so it looks to me as though australia currently has six venues to put forward for a possible world cup bid, although having said that four of these are poorly-configured ovals.

agreed? or have i missed stuff out, etc?

oh yeah, and what's the deal with a possible clash between AFL, etc and the timing of the world cup (june-july)?
Noostairz no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #264
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Quote:
Originally Posted by edennewstairs
iagreed? or have i missed stuff out, etc?

yepp..Telstra Dome have retractable seating
Also,Why leave Aussie Stadium out?..Ive never heard of this 2 stadium for only 1 city rule...technically,Telstra Stadium is not in Sydney,its in the city of Auburn.Aussie Stadium is in Sydney.
Aussie Stadium is in,in my books.

Last edited by ExSydney; April 14th, 2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #265
Noostairz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney
yepp..Telstra Dome have retractable seating
Also,Why leave Aussie Stadium out?..Ive never heard of this 2 stadium for only 1 city rule...technically,Telstra Stadium is not in Sydney,its in the city of Auburn.Aussie Stadium is in Sydney.
Aussie Stadium is in,in my books.
cheers...

likely venues:
1) mcg (100,00, melbourne): acceptable, but it's an oval so it's not very well configured for football.
2) telstra stadium (83,500, "west sydney"): acceptable, despite large spaces behind each goal.
3) telstra dome (56,347, melbourne): acceptable, although issues exist regarding the performance of the retractable seating in an otherwise oval venue.
4) suncorp stadium (52,500, brisbane): perfect configuration. definately in.
5) AAMI stadium (51,515, adelaide): again, another oval.
6) subiaco oval (42,922, perth): and another oval.
7) aussie stadium (42,000, sydney): good configuration, although a possible conflict exists regarding telstra stadium's exact location (is it in sydney as well, or is it in "west sydney"? )

rejected venues:
- queensland sports and athletics centre (48,400, brisbane): melbourne's already hosting two venues, brisbane's already hosting one, and on top of that it's an athletics venue - hardly ideal.
- gabba (42,000, brisbane): as above, and it's yet another oval.
- sydney cricket ground (44,000, sydney): as above.

remaining issues:
- still need a few more 40,000+ stadiums in alternative locations.
- a perceived over-reliance on cricket grounds, as opposed to purpose-built stadia.
- possible conflict of sports seasons.
- possible domestic disinterest, unsold tickets, etc.

------------------------------------

for the record i'm not criticising, just trying to figure out how it'd work. trust me, i wouldn't mind australia hosting 2014 - that'd mean one less competing candidate for a possible england 2018 bid!

Last edited by Noostairz; April 15th, 2006 at 05:00 AM.
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #266
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Quote:
Originally Posted by edennewstairs
cheers..

7) aussie stadium (42,000, sydney-ish): good configuration, will have to be marketed as an out-of-sydney stadium though!

Actually,other way round....Telstra Stadium is west of Sydney,Aussie Stadium is the Sydney venue!
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #267
MoreOrLess

I don't think you can rule out a few stadiums being built on the back of the world cup, pretty much every stadium at the last two world cups and euro 2004 was purpose built afterall.
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #268
Noostairz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney
Actually,other way round....Telstra Stadium is west of Sydney,Aussie Stadium is the Sydney venue!
amended!
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #269
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Note that the MCG's dimensions are already quite unusual for an Aussie Rules ground or a cricket ground for that matter because it's extremely wide - the boundary rope goes in a long way for cricket matches. Other oval grounds are more like ovals rather than a circle - a lot more like an athletics stadium.

The AFL season goes from March to September though it is possible for the AFL to schedule rounds without using the MCG (like they are now). If Telstra Dome is also in use, then we have a major problem with scheduling - and matches would be played at neutral grounds in clubless cities or the season would have to be rescheduled.

For the record, the Melbourne Cricket Club owns the MCG and they are quite restrictive about it (hence the often empty Members' Reserve) - they didn't allow the MCG to be used for the 1956 Olympics until the government threatened to never pay for redevelopments of the MCG. People also say that it was their political influence that halved the capacity of Waverley Park to 75,000 and its eventual demise.

EDIT: The Telstra Dome's retractable seats have been only ever used once, where it was found to be a waste of money (but that might have been because Rugby League in Melbourne has almost zero popularity) and the mechanism has fallen into disrepair. Maybe they'll fix it for the World Cup though.
invincible no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #270
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Why not just hold the World Cup either between Oct/Nov or Feb/Mar?

The world's soccer comps can surely have ONE lousy year in their ENTIRE existance where they do things slighty differently. Besides the players won't be completely buggered after an entire season if they went for the Oct/Nov option.

The other possibility is during the winter break in Europe over January/Feb. The English have been talking about doing it for a while now.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #271
Iain1974

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder
If Australia were to bid for the World Cup then I'd recommend not requesting that FIFA shift the tournament by 4-5 months and rearrange hundreds of domestic leagues to take into account the seasonal differences down under.

Besides, it'll go to Brazil for 2014 anyway.
Iain1974 no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #272
Rev
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Shifting when the WC is held would be difficult for anyone to achieve. The big clubs already are hesitant to releasing thier big name players. Now try getting them to shift thier seasons around, and thier would be mayhem.

ExSydney, about AAMI, if it would be used, it would most definately be upgraded.
About the oval issue. Couldnt that be resolved by placing temporary seating to create a rectangular playing pitch in the middle of thr ground, and in the process increasing capacity? Surely for example, AAMI's capacity could top 60k in such an event.

However, Id love to see a new purpose built stadium here.
Rev no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #273
Noostairz

Quote:

The world's soccer comps can surely have ONE lousy year in their ENTIRE existance where they do things slighty differently. Besides the players won't be completely buggered after an entire season if they went for the Oct/Nov option.

The other possibility is during the winter break in Europe over January/Feb. The English have been talking about doing it for a while now.
whether you like it or not the timing of the world cup is non-negotiable. any bid based on altering its timing would have about as much chance of success as ronaldinho would with the ladies if he wasn't absolutely minted.

isn't that right, ronny?

thought so.

Last edited by Noostairz; April 14th, 2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #274
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Last time I see, no country was FIFA World Cup 2014 host. So, I can't understand why some people say that FIFA would take the organization from Brazil. They just may not give it to them, and if that happens there's only one to blame: Brazil.
Aka no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #275
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:

It's hilarious. Just because Australia wants to do it in Oct/Nov of Feb/Mar, the rest of the world needs to change their competitions and schedules?
Martuh no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #276
MoreOrLess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Shifting when the WC is held would be difficult for anyone to achieve. The big clubs already are hesitant to releasing thier big name players. Now try getting them to shift thier seasons around, and thier would be mayhem.

ExSydney, about AAMI, if it would be used, it would most definately be upgraded.
About the oval issue. Couldnt that be resolved by placing temporary seating to create a rectangular playing pitch in the middle of thr ground, and in the process increasing capacity? Surely for example, AAMI's capacity could top 60k in such an event.

However, Id love to see a new purpose built stadium here.
As I said I think one of the big issues would be how the WC would advance soccer in Australia and building some decent sized venues rather than just using cricket/AFL ovals would surely help that.
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #277
deambulante

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulga
the hole thing is so nonsense, since when argentina and chile has more condition to host a world cup than Brazil? 80% of argentina population lives in buenos Aires, and Chile is a country with 15 milhon people who doesn´t care about football. i mean it would be a one city world cup?
Blatter was just trying to shake Brazil up, they have been totally asleep at the wheel thinking that since all of South America including Argentina gave their support to Brazil, the only thing left was for FIFA to announce it and everything would be done by magic. Brazil has given not even a sketch of what they would do should they host the world cup. Blatter is letting Brazil know that this time around procrastination may cost them dearly.

I don't want to sound beligerant or insulting, but after what I have read here it's more than obvious most here don't know where Argentina is located on the map, let alone it's cities, economics, or culture.

For the record 80% of Argentina's population does not live in one city. Whoever said this absurd figure doesn't know what solar system they inhabit~!

If by any reason Brazil screws their bid, then it would probably go to North America, but probably not Mexico. Argentina is with Brazil all the way for 2014, but should the fumble their shot, they can forget about support next time around because then Argentina will go all out for it's own bid.
deambulante no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #278
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Am i reading this right, do the aussies want to change the world cup schedule and hold it another time in the year? The cheek of those aussies!!

BTW wots the weather lik in oz during June July.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #279
sydney_lad
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd
Am i reading this right, do the aussies want to change the world cup schedule and hold it another time in the year? The cheek of those aussies!!

Most of the Aussies posting in this thread have no ******* idea what they're talking about. Don't worry.

The sheer idiocy of some of the posts is doing my ******* head in

Quote:
BTW wots the weather lik in oz during June July.
Depends what part of the country.

The southern states get pretty bloody cold, around Sydney it's not too bad and as you go up northern NSW and Queensland it's pretty bloody nice.

I assume Perth would be pretty nice too.
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:09 AM   #280
XCRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancred
Have there not been a few threads of late showing the new stadiums of Brazil being built?

If it is taken from Brazil, my money would be on Mexico, then the USA.
Not likely, being that Mexico has already hosted it twice. I would say it's between Austrailia and USA if South America doesn't get it. Australia has never hosted it before, but it would be way WAY easier for the USA to host it. So it could go either way.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup