daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM   #2781
mavn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
of course it is but i do get wound so easy at the brit bashing when people clerly haven't been to the uk or england for that matter and germany 2006 our fans were well behaved it was the polish that were the trouble
Again, Australia and the Benelux are being critized with all kind of arguments that are based on misinformation and pure arrogance fueled patronizing.

You seem to know they don't need the stadiums. You seem to think they'll all have running tracks around them. You seem to know all kind of things that are simply false.

But when somebody pouints out 1 or 2 points thight might be lacking or could be a small problem in comparison to other bids, it's regarded as "Brit bashing" and "you hate England". Come on guys, grow up.

And for your information. I've been to England (London, Birmingham and a few other cities) several times in the last 15 years, and, well, I got to where I wanted to go, but it stopped me from ever being critical towards our public transport services. off course, I'm sure you'll manage fine if you would get the WC, but our system is better and way more punctual. All facts back this statement wether you like it or not...

When it comes to hooliganism, I fully agree that the English have behaved very well during the last events, but in the eyes of the general public in Europe, I think you're still percieved as a dangerous nation when it comes to violence around stadiums. (only with the national team, You're clubs have pretty much wiped that image away) You surely must understand that a certain image isn't cleared in a day. It will take time. And since I hate any violence, I hope all will be well and it won't be an issue. But IF anything happends at Euro 2008 for instance, it COULD have a negative effect. At least more than on the Netherlands for instance (pretty inconceavable seeing our track record around the national team in the last 20 years) simply because of your history.

So, again, I don't hate you! In fact, I've enjoyed all my visits to your country very much. You can be a bit arrogant at times, but so are we. Just ask the Belgians
mavn no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM   #2782
RobH

Likes (Received): 10312

Quote:
You surely must understand that a certain image isn't cleared in a day
Not a day no, but isn't six years enough? A decade by the time 2011 rolls around.

Luckily it's not the general public on the continent who'll be voting on this though!
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:01 AM   #2783
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1157

Surely countries that can't even qualify for the Euro's shouldn't be hosting World Cups.
Quintana no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:03 AM   #2784
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintana View Post
Surely countries that can't even qualify for the Euro's shouldn't be hosting World Cups.
south africa's national team can't even play football. no i dont think it matters.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:28 AM   #2785
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintana View Post
Damn, You beat me to it. I guess the argument that Belgium wouldn't desirve a wildcard will be pretty much silenced by this.

Austrian and Swiss entrepreneurs will be happy though. Insurance fees will probably be halved after tonights result.

But, although you would probably have gone home after the first round if you had qualified (damn you looked poor tonight... ) , An English team should always be at a EC or WC.
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:44 AM   #2786
RobH

Quote:
Insurance fees will probably be halved after tonights result.
Ha, bloody ha!

Quote:
I doubt England will ever sink far enough that the inclusion of an English team will look strange amongst the other teams in the tournament. I mean, if FIFA are prepared to give Korea and Japan an automatic spot each and UEFA are prepared to give Austria and Switzerland automatic spots....

Nah, we'll win the 2010 world cup and then it'll all be fine. You'll see

RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:01 AM   #2787
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
Damn, You beat me to it. I guess the argument that Belgium wouldn't desirve a wildcard will be pretty much silenced by this.

Austrian and Swiss entrepreneurs will be happy though. Insurance fees will probably be halved after tonights result.
But, although you would probably have gone home after the first round if you had qualified (damn you looked poor tonight... ) , An English team should always be at a EC or WC.
As England are famed for taking huge numbers with them - most of whom require hotel accomodation, food, drinks, etc., many of whom are willing to pay way over-the-top prices for tickets to 'entrepeneurs', and the vast majority of whom behave well, I would think that Austrian and Swiss businesses will be gutted that England failed to qualify.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:50 AM   #2788
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
As England are famed for taking huge numbers with them - most of whom require hotel accomodation, food, drinks, etc., many of whom are willing to pay way over-the-top prices for tickets to 'entrepeneurs', and the vast majority of whom behave well, I would think that Austrian and Swiss businesses will be gutted that England failed to qualify.
Russia bring people too. Way less (but way more rich) , but a lot of them non the less. Other countries will bring loads of fans too, and they will have to pay over-the-top prices for all things as well. The English not being there won't have that big an impact.

I merely stated it because (like I said in previous posts) football programs i saw last night showed exactly wat I said. Off course it was meant tongue-in-cheek, but there might be more truth in at than you think.

"The police at Euro 2008 will be happy because chances on violence will be a lot less now that the English aren't going"

Unlike the English seem to think, this is still an issue. Call it ingnorant, but they're still regarded as a nation that brings a lot of violence. Whether it's true or not is sort of irrelevant. You'll have to start to try and change that image because it could hurt you. Well, not at Euro 2008 that is.
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM   #2789
RobH

Quote:
Call it ingnorant, but they're still regarded as a nation that brings a lot of violence
I will call it ignorant. Mind bogglingly ignorant in fact and there's no excuse for such ignorance given the time and money that's been spent in our country trying to get rid of this problem.

Quote:
You'll have to start to try and change that image because it could hurt you.
Start to change that image? Because we've obviously been sitting on our arses for the last 15 years doing nothing to prevent the problem! I'm sorry but that sentence comes across as thoughtless and does a great disservice to all those who have, not only started to get rid of this image, but have almost totally irradicated hooligans from English football.

Mavn, that image has been irrelevent for six years! Is that not long enough for you: I know the pace of life is more relaxed over in Holland but come on! What else can we do? How long do we have to wait before you'll consign what is history to history? The authorities have done everything possible to irradicate this problem investing a huge amount of money and time. They have pretty much got rid of the travelling hooligan element; and yet you dimiss this effort by saying "oh yeh, but your image still isn't very good". WTF?!

Well, if our image still isn't very good that's tough and that's really your problem, not ours because there's not much more we can do that hasn't already been done. It's reality that counts not "image" and I'm fed up with this argument coming up every time England is discussed on various forums on the internet.

I'm sorry for the tone of this post, but as I've said, it angers me that some people regard this as an issue still.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM   #2790
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

The Belgians are better at starting race wars than us, I believe should they host we would see race riots erupt across their cities, Belgians are well known for their racism. I certainly would not mind losing to the Dutch (whether that is the Netherlands or the Greater Netherlands including Flanders) but never to the Belgians, the Dutch would do well to stay away from Belgians and those who sympathise with their kind as for the Belgians you race hate monsters should stick to the Unicycle tour of Wallonia or whatever World Sport you are leaders in.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 02:20 PM   #2791
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

So will TV fees. You are one ignorant, hateful, dirty little man who has no place on this forum.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:16 PM   #2792
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

belgium/the netherlands 2018 WC ok! but have Luxembourg host??
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:26 PM   #2793
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post

So will TV fees. You are one ignorant, hateful, dirty little man who has no place on this forum.
Damn, you can't even see a teasing joke when it's right in front of your eyes...

Please educate me on what ignorant, hateful and being dirty have to with it tough... But hey, somebody made a joke about England. Let's hang him...
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:31 PM   #2794
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
The Belgians are better at starting race wars than us, I believe should they host we would see race riots erupt across their cities, Belgians are well known for their racism. I certainly would not mind losing to the Dutch (whether that is the Netherlands or the Greater Netherlands including Flanders) but never to the Belgians, the Dutch would do well to stay away from Belgians and those who sympathise with their kind as for the Belgians you race hate monsters should stick to the Unicycle tour of Wallonia or whatever World Sport you are leaders in.
Are you on crack again?
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:36 PM   #2795
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I will call it ignorant. Mind bogglingly ignorant in fact and there's no excuse for such ignorance given the time and money that's been spent in our country trying to get rid of this problem.

Start to change that image? Because we've obviously been sitting on our arses for the last 15 years doing nothing to prevent the problem! I'm sorry but that sentence comes across as thoughtless and does a great disservice to all those who have, not only started to get rid of this image, but have almost totally irradicated hooligans from English football.

Mavn, that image has been irrelevent for six years! Is that not long enough for you: I know the pace of life is more relaxed over in Holland but come on! What else can we do? How long do we have to wait before you'll consign what is history to history? The authorities have done everything possible to irradicate this problem investing a huge amount of money and time. They have pretty much got rid of the travelling hooligan element; and yet you dimiss this effort by saying "oh yeh, but your image still isn't very good". WTF?!

Well, if our image still isn't very good that's tough and that's really your problem, not ours because there's not much more we can do that hasn't already been done. It's reality that counts not "image" and I'm fed up with this argument coming up every time England is discussed on various forums on the internet.

I'm sorry for the tone of this post, but as I've said, it angers me that some people regard this as an issue still.
I was just trying to tell you what I hear around me, read on forums and see on TV. Don't shoot the messenger...

I personally fully agree on what you're saying . Maybe the fact that you travel with so many still fears the cities and nations that you visit?

BTW, these fears are solely around your national team. With regards to violence around domestic league matches (and European matches of those teams) your applauded for the efforts you made all around the continent. In Holland for instance, your laws on this are regarded is the perfect solution for the (relatively small) problems that we have with the matter. The legislation that is prepared will be like a carbon copy of yours.
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM   #2796
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Damn, you can't even see a teasing joke when it's right in front of your eyes...

Please educate me on what ignorant, hateful and being dirty have to with it tough... But hey, somebody made a joke about England. Let's hang him...
He was just talking to himself.
Chimaera no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM   #2797
RobH

Quote:
I was just trying to tell you what I hear around me, read on forums and see on TV. Don't shoot the messenger...

I personally fully agree on what you're saying . Maybe the fact that you travel with so many still fears the cities and nations that you visit?

BTW, these fears are solely around your national team. With regards to violence around domestic league matches (and European matches of those teams) your applauded for the efforts you made all around the continent. In Holland for instance, your laws on this are regarded is the perfect solution for the (relatively small) problems that we have with the matter. The legislation that is prepared will be like a carbon copy of yours.
Sorry. I wasn't so much having a go at you as the things you were telling me. The thing is England do travel in huge numbers, maybe that does make people fearful but it oughtn't.

Anyway, regardless of the ignorance amonst some people on the continent, they're not the people who decide 2018 so that should in no way effect our bid for 2018:

"Forget marketing, forget promotion. The target audience is not the world.

"The executive committee of Fifa is 24 men, one of whom is Sepp Blatter. And these 24 men award the World Cup."

These are the words of the special advisor to FIFA president Sepp Blatter, Peter Hargitay who, along with Markus Siegler, Fifa's former director of communications is now working for England 2018.

FA hires big hitters for 2018 bid

RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM   #2798
mavn

BTW,

I know the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants were to blame for the state of last nights pitch, but the way it looked, it wasn't a nice commercial for a world cup of great football...

It also shows that current stadiums that are being build are a disaster to the quality of pitches. Steep tiers, enclosing roofs. This really is a problem you see in a lot of the new stadiums around Europe. Old Wembley had a name for having a pitch of fantastic quality. Unfortunately, I don't think new Wembley will be able to sustain that legacy.
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:16 PM   #2799
RobH

I don't know. The new German stadiums for the 2006 world cup haven't had those sorts of problems as far as I'm aware.

Arsenal's Emirates has a great pitch and that is a fairly similar stadium to Wembley in many ways.

I'm sure whatever it is it's fixable, even if it does mean a completely new pitch and undersoil.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:52 PM   #2800
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I don't know. The new German stadiums for the 2006 world cup haven't had those sorts of problems as far as I'm aware.

Arsenal's Emirates has a great pitch and that is a fairly similar stadium to Wembley in many ways.

I'm sure whatever it is it's fixable, even if it does mean a completely new pitch and undersoil.
We've had this problem at th Amsterdam Arena since it opened. It has become better but it's far from ideal. And to a certain extend even at Eindhovens Philips Stadium. When they added the top corners, they made a construction that could be "opened" so wind could come through it. It didnt work that well as the state of the pitch most of the time is mediocre at best.

I believe the Allianz Arena is having similar problems.
A pitch needs sunshine, rain and wind to grow. And especially the lack of wind and sun (we're not on the equator) are a problem.
mavn no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup