daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 25th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #2821
mavn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
we were talking about recent behaviour of our fans this time you've turned to talking about vocal support(stick to the point at hand dude) well we are a little disillusioned with our teamat the moment as you can expect overpriced and overpaid muppets the only two players who showed balls were Beckham(as usual) and Crouch.(fans were gobsmacked as we all were nearly every england player who played that night were booed on the pitch today while playing for there respective clubs)
What I said was about you claiming you'd be World Champion if it was for you fans...

But please, can we rest these arguments and all. Around me I hear a lot of jokes like "the police over there will be happy England didn't qualify" and similar remarks. Personally, I don't really agree with those. But when I use them as a possible "image problem" I'M getting crucified. It apparently is a fairly sensitive matter for you guys...

So I'm not going to discuss it any more. I'll always be offending someone, and others fail to see that I'm not necessarily speaking my own oppinion.
mavn no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #2822
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Some food for thought from the AFC president...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/footba...e=footballNews

Asia to unite behind Australia World Cup bid
Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:36am GMT
By Julian Linden

(Reuters) - The whole of Asia could join forces to support Australia's bid to stage the 2018 World Cup ahead of a European rival, AFC President Mohamed Bin Hammam said on Monday.

Bin Hammam said that after successfully staging the 2002 World Cup, Asia deserved to host the 2018 finals but their only chance of beating their European rivals was with a united bid.

"As a confederation, we have to go in with one bid, we can't have two or three...we just couldn't afford that," Bin Hammam, who is in Sydney for Wednesday's AFC Player of the Year Award ceremony, told reporters.

"We would have to come to a stage where we have to decide which one has the best chance and advise the other bidders to withdraw for the benefit of the other.

"If we have one bid, all Asia can go and fight for that candidate but if there are two or more bids it will be very difficult."

Bin Hammam said he had no preferences as to which country Asia should support but said Australia, which is the only Asian country to have publicly declared their interest in staging the event, was a worthy candidate.

"Australia would be a very good venue for the World Cup, I think everyone would like to play in Australia," Bin Hammam said.

"I would not hesitate at all to invite other countries to support a bid from Australia.

"I think we do have a chance if we have one candidate and I would be happy with one bid from Australia.

"At this stage, there is nobody else. We've heard (rumours) about China, I'd be happy if China (was to bid) but we've heard nothing official."

Although the decision on who will host the 2018 World Cup is not due until 2011 and the bidding process will remain open until 2009, several countries have already indicated they plan to bid after FIFA announced they were scrapping their continental rotation policy.

England, Belgium and Netherlands, Mexico and the U.S. have all joined Australia in expressing their interest.

"Our position hasn't changed. It's our intention to prepare a bid but there's a lot of work to be done first," Geoff Parmenter, Football Federation of Australia's Head of Marketing, Communication and Strategy, told Reuters.

(Editing by Martin Petty)
NavyBlue no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #2823
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue View Post
Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:36am GMT
By Julian Linden

(Reuters) - The whole of Asia could join forces to support Australia's bid to stage the 2018 World Cup ahead of a European rival, AFC President Mohamed Bin Hammam said on Monday.

Bin Hammam said that after successfully staging the 2002 World Cup, Asia deserved to host the 2018 finals but their only chance of beating their European rivals was with a united bid.

"As a confederation, we have to go in with one bid, we can't have two or three...we just couldn't afford that," Bin Hammam, who is in Sydney for Wednesday's AFC Player of the Year Award ceremony, told reporters.

"We would have to come to a stage where we have to decide which one has the best chance and advise the other bidders to withdraw for the benefit of the other.

"If we have one bid, all Asia can go and fight for that candidate but if there are two or more bids it will be very difficult."

Bin Hammam said he had no preferences as to which country Asia should support but said Australia, which is the only Asian country to have publicly declared their interest in staging the event, was a worthy candidate.

"Australia would be a very good venue for the World Cup, I think everyone would like to play in Australia," Bin Hammam said.

"I would not hesitate at all to invite other countries to support a bid from Australia.

"I think we do have a chance if we have one candidate and I would be happy with one bid from Australia.

"At this stage, there is nobody else. We've heard (rumours) about China, I'd be happy if China (was to bid) but we've heard nothing official."

Although the decision on who will host the 2018 World Cup is not due until 2011 and the bidding process will remain open until 2009, several countries have already indicated they plan to bid after FIFA announced they were scrapping their continental rotation policy.

England, Belgium and Netherlands, Mexico and the U.S. have all joined Australia in expressing their interest.

"Our position hasn't changed. It's our intention to prepare a bid but there's a lot of work to be done first," Geoff Parmenter, Football Federation of Australia's Head of Marketing, Communication and Strategy, told Reuters.

(Editing by Martin Petty)
Classic grandstanding. If it comes down to three Asian bids - one from Australia, one from China, and one from - say - a rebuilt all-American Iraq... Does anyone think that the Asian Federation would select Australia as it's unified bid?

Still, food for thought.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #2824
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
What I said was about you claiming you'd be World Champion if it was for you fans...

But please, can we rest these arguments and all. Around me I hear a lot of jokes like "the police over there will be happy England didn't qualify" and similar remarks. Personally, I don't really agree with those. But when I use them as a possible "image problem" I'M getting crucified. It apparently is a fairly sensitive matter for you guys...

So I'm not going to discuss it any more. I'll always be offending someone, and others fail to see that I'm not necessarily speaking my own oppinion.
yeah we get jokes abot belguim and luxembourg not qualifying to.
marrio415 no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #2825
Avens

The reason people may 'crucify' you for suggesting we (as English football fans) have an image problem is because it is now a completely outdated and incorrect image. In England we've done more to combat hooliganism than in any other country and to great success. The problems we suffer from 'football fans' are minimal compared to many countries.

Liverpool FC
Avens no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #2826
RobH

Likes (Received): 10322

Well said.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #2827
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Here Here.
marrio415 no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #2828
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avens View Post
The reason people may 'crucify' you for suggesting we (as English football fans) have an image problem is because it is now a completely outdated and incorrect image. In England we've done more to combat hooliganism than in any other country and to great success. The problems we suffer from 'football fans' are minimal compared to many countries.

That "now completely outdated and incorrect image" is still a mainstream image among many europeans. Again, for the hundreth time:

"I DON'T AGREE WITH THAT IMAGE" I'm just stating what I hear and see around me.

Do people even read before they reply?????
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #2829
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Classic grandstanding. If it comes down to three Asian bids - one from Australia, one from China, and one from - say - a rebuilt all-American Iraq... Does anyone think that the Asian Federation would select Australia as it's unified bid?

Still, food for thought.
Lol
Come on Benjuk, surely that was a joke?
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #2830
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post

Still, food for thought.
The headline may have been a bit misleading and I thought about not including it, because the main message in the president's comments is that the AFC will look to support only one bid, as opposed to the Europeans who will be fighting for support amongst each other.

ATM only Australia has expressed interest from the AFC but surely there will be a couple more by 2011.
NavyBlue no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #2831
kwigibo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
The headline may have been a bit misleading and I thought about not including it, because the main message in the president's comments is that the AFC will look to support only one bid, as opposed to the Europeans who will be fighting for support amongst each other.

ATM only Australia has expressed interest from the AFC but surely there will be a couple more by 2011.
If the Beijing Olympics do not impress (and issues like pollution have come up again and again), Australia may become Asia's best hope.
kwigibo no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #2832
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 172

An interesting article appeared on the Belgian football news website voetbalkrant.com. I'll try to make a quick translation.

Courtois: "France and Spain support World Cup in Benelux"

France and Spain will support the Belgian-Dutch plans to organize the World Cup in 2018, told project leader Alain Courtois to the newspaper "Het Laatste Nieuws". Courtois was in South Africa last weekend to attend the World Cup draw and to make connections with 2018 in mind.

source: voetbalkrant.com

"And we succeeded in that, we made good contacts", says Courtois. "Countries such as Spain and France have agreed to support our candidature. It looks like it will be a competition between England and us. In any case it is clear that we are considered a worthy candidate by everyone over here. On December 20th we'll launch the Dutch-Belgian candidature at the Egmont Palace (reception building of the ministry of foreign affairs) in the presence of Guy Verhofstadt (the resigning prime minister)."

I think Courtois is forgetting that many countries from outside Europe also want to take part in the bidding process...

Another article from Belgian news website vrtnieuws.net (translated with Babelfish, with some corrections):
THE fifa wants shortlist for WC 2018 Monday 11/26/07 - world football association fifa complained that only Brazil was candidate for the WC in 2014, but the opposite is taking place now. The candidatures for the WC in 2018 are streaming in. Beside Belgium and the Netherlands approximately 8 other countries want the organisation. (Belga) for Olympic games this a familiar problem and therefore Fifa-president Sepp Blatter seeks a solution in their working method. THE fifa predominates, just like IOC, to have a committee make a harsh selection, to choose between three or four candidates in the end. "if there are indeed so many candidates for the WK 2018, then we must follow the example of the IOC", Blatter say. "then we continue only with the countries which can us give the correct guarantees." THE fifa has time to change its selection procedure till 2011, when the decision for 2018 is taken.

Last edited by Chimaera; November 27th, 2007 at 11:39 AM.
Chimaera no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #2833
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4639

Quote:
It's why I said that Europe must be united to support the best European bid because Europe can't let WC2018 going away after 2010 and 2014 ones.
So, let's support toghether WC ENGLAND 2018
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer está en línea ahora  
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #2834
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Lol
Come on Benjuk, surely that was a joke?
Yes and no. I can't see an end to the trouble in Iraq, but sooner or later things will settle down and US influence will win the war (they'll get the Iraqis with 'culture', you'll have kids with Eminem t-shirts eating at McDonalds before going to watch the Baghdad Bulls in action at the Bank of America Stadium, etc. 2018 way too soon, but 2026 or 2030, I really wouldn't be surprised.

In all seriousness - I wouldn't bet against the United Arab Emirates building ten new stadiums, with new cities to match, hotel accomodation, monorails, etc., in order to host in 2018.

Hearing the news about Canada, USA, Mexico, Spain/Portugal, Holland/Belgium, China, etc., etc., I'm more optimistic of Australia's chances of taking advantage of split votes everywhere else and nabbing the finals... It'd be right grand, that would.

Still think it'll be England though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
An interesting article appeared on the Belgian football news website voetbalkrant.com. I'll try to make a quick translation.

Courtois: "France and Spain support World Cup in Benelux"

France and Spain will support the Belgian-Dutch plans to organize the World Cup in 2018, told project leader Alain Courtois to the newspaper "Het Laatste Nieuws". Courtois was in South Africa last weekend to attend the World Cup draw and to make connections with 2018 in mind.

source: voetbalkrant.com

"And we succeeded in that, we made good contacts", says Courtois. "Countries such as Spain and France have agreed to support our candidature. It looks like it will be a competition between England and us. In any case it is clear that we are considered a worthy candidate by everyone over here. On December 20th we'll launch the Dutch-Belgian candidature at the Egmont Palace (reception building of the ministry of foreign affairs) in the presence of Guy Verhofstadt (the resigning prime minister)."

I think Courtois is forgetting that many countries from outside Europe also want to take part in the bidding process...

Another article from Belgian news website vrtnieuws.net (translated with Babelfish, with some corrections):
THE fifa wants shortlist for WC 2018 Monday 11/26/07 - world football association fifa complained that only Brazil was candidate for the WC in 2014, but the opposite is taking place now. The candidatures for the WC in 2018 are streaming in. Beside Belgium and the Netherlands approximately 8 other countries want the organisation. (Belga) for Olympic games this a familiar problem and therefore Fifa-president Sepp Blatter seeks a solution in their working method. THE fifa predominates, just like IOC, to have a committee make a harsh selection, to choose between three or four candidates in the end. "if there are indeed so many candidates for the WK 2018, then we must follow the example of the IOC", Blatter say. "then we continue only with the countries which can us give the correct guarantees." THE fifa has time to change its selection procedure till 2011, when the decision for 2018 is taken.
Interesting that Spain and Portugal have now announced plans to put in a joint bid for 2018 - that would suggest that the above feature is already out of date.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #2835
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

SPAIN & PORTUGAL TO LAUNCH RIVAL 2018 BID

Here is the link to this article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai.../sfnwcp127.xml

If this joint bid is the case then these countries would get the South American votes!
Kobo no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #2836
LandOfGreenGinger

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post

Here is the link to this article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai.../sfnwcp127.xml

If this joint bid is the case then these countries would get the South American votes!
Don't like the idea of Spain and Portugal bidding together. Spain are fully capable of bidding by themselves, why dilute the tournament by including Portugal? Maybe England should have a joint bid with Italy to follow the pattern here, as they seem the only country in Europe currently not interested in playing a part in hosting the games.
LandOfGreenGinger no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #2837
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

This is silly, Spain doesn't need Portugal for a successful bid. In the case of Belgium and Netherlands it's understandable because they're both small countries; Spain is large enough to host it on their own!

At this rate, half the countries in Europe will be involved in some bid for 2018! I rather like the idea of staging a primary election in Europe. This would make sure that the best bid from Europe is put forward for 2018, and it makes sure that Europe isn't hopelesly devided! If Asia unites behind a China or Australia bid, and Europe has 3 or 4 competing bids, I'd put my money on Asia for 2018!

And what's up with the large fonts??? We're not blind
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #2838
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandOfGreenGinger View Post
Don't like the idea of Spain and Portugal bidding together. Spain are fully capable of bidding by themselves, why dilute the tournament by including Portugal? Maybe England should have a joint bid with Italy to follow the pattern here, as they seem the only country in Europe currently not interested in playing a part in hosting the games.
Yes I agree Spain could quite easily do it on its own and that bid would be very strong. There are so many countries now which might consider a bid:
U.S.A, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Japan, China, Russia, Greece (according to wikipedia), Benelux, Portugal & Spain and England. If Fifa narrow this down to 5 like the IOC does when they have lots of bidders, then IMO it could be: Australia, China, Benelux, England and U.S.A. However Russia or Spain & Portugal could replace the States, I only put them in because of the revenue they could make which Fifa would like.

Europe though could shoot it's self in the foot here by putting in so many bids, and thus losing lots of votes. The markets of both China and U.S.A would appeal a great deal to Fifa especially China. China shall become the Super Power of the world at some point, as the 21st Century belongs to Asia and Fifa are very aware of these.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #2839
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
The markets of both China and U.S.A would appeal a great deal to Fifa especially China. China shall become the Super Power of the world at some point, as the 21st Century belongs to Asia and Fifa are very aware of these.
Regarding this issue: it has been stated numerous times in this thread that Australia is in the 'wrong' timezone to host a world cup. I don't think this is totaly true. Australia is very convienetly located regarding the timezones of for example China, Japan and South Korea, which are important markets for Fifa.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #2840
aCidMinD81
Tres huevos

Likes (Received): 37

As I've read in the Spanish newspapers, the bid Spain-Portugal has been launched by the president of the Portuguese Football Association and the Spanish one doesn't support that bid. Spain wants to launch its own bid.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup