daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 1st, 2007, 01:26 PM   #2901
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
Well most people have taken a rather hateful attitude to Bristol thinking of it as some small hamlet or something, when it is one of England's Core Cities, and arguably the most beautiful of the larger cities, yet it has got nothing but snubs from those who glorify far grimmer, far uglier cities.
I think a lot of the snubs about Bristol were based on the city not needing a large stadium... However, City's recent revival has probably made the new stadium a considerably higher priority - it's amazing to think that they have a decent shot at playing in the Premiership next year. With the amount of emphasis that is on the Prem, it's not unreasonable that a club like City, in a city the size of Bristol, could quite easilly fill out a 30k stadium.

A while back I had a good look at Bristol with regard to needing a new stadium and, whilst I don't know the historical value of the land, I thought that the parkland just to the north of he existing Ashton Gate would be an ideal location for a new stadium. Failing that, a little further north on the other side of the motorway - but I'm not sure if that's greenbelt land or something.
Benjuk no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2007, 03:06 PM   #2902
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

It would be great to have Bristol or Oxford staging World Cup games. They are just the kind of cities that the UK needs to show off in 2018, rather than Middlesborough or Sunderland in my opinion
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM   #2903
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

I agree. How about you put that superb photo of Bristol and the Balloons directly onto here, it is too good to be wasted on a link people might not click on.
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #2904
Schmeek

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
I think a lot of the snubs about Bristol were based on the city not needing a large stadium... However, City's recent revival has probably made the new stadium a considerably higher priority - it's amazing to think that they have a decent shot at playing in the Premiership next year. With the amount of emphasis that is on the Prem, it's not unreasonable that a club like City, in a city the size of Bristol, could quite easilly fill out a 30k stadium.

A while back I had a good look at Bristol with regard to needing a new stadium and, whilst I don't know the historical value of the land, I thought that the parkland just to the north of he existing Ashton Gate would be an ideal location for a new stadium. Failing that, a little further north on the other side of the motorway - but I'm not sure if that's greenbelt land or something.
I know I am biased but I do feel that Bristol is largely a 'forgotten city' within the uk. It is constantly overlooked by the northern monkeys who spend most of their time(on these forums anyway)squabbling over whose city is better, and who are of the belief that nothing exists below Birmingham except London.
Ahem..just thought i'd get that off my chest!

Benjuk, although I was mildly insulted by your referring to Ashton Gate as 'a hole' (it's a great little stadium!!), you have clearly done some research which is commendable. The parkland to the north is Ashton park. I too looked into this, but it is a beautiful, very well used bit of greenery and also just a tad too small for a new stadium. Not sure what other bit of land you refer to - to the north west(across the trunk rd)is Ashton court estate, land belonging to the mansion. This could never be bought, and the land is on a steep slope.

Oh, and that shot of the bridge with the balloons was taken about 300yards from Ashton Gate. And about 600 from the new stadium site(well we think anyway!). It's easy to imagine a tv helicopter flying over with shots of the city and bridge and stadium in the build up to kick off for Brazil v. Scotland!!
Schmeek no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #2905
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
I know I am biased but I do feel that Bristol is largely a 'forgotten city' within the uk. It is constantly overlooked by the northern monkeys speaking as a northern monkey I take exception to that - most of the north is a hole, certainly the North-East, where I come from, and large parts of the North-West, etc. who spend most of their time(on these forums anyway)squabbling over whose city is better, and who are of the belief that nothing exists below Birmingham except London. Ahem..just thought i'd get that off my chest!

Benjuk, although I was mildly insulted by your referring to Ashton Gate as 'a hole' (it's a great little stadium!!) like the vast majority of stadiums that have failed to move with the times, it's pretty rough - although like any ground, if it's "yours" it will always be great: Roker Park, Sunderland, for example was a dump when compared to the Stadium of Light, but you'd struggle to find too many Sunderland fans who actually 'like' the SoL more than Roker, you have clearly done some research which is commendable. when talk of a 2018 bid first came up, the issue of a South West stadium was raised and I couldn't imagine anywhere other than Bristol being suitable... As for research - Google Earth is all I used. Cut and paste some images from that, added a 40k stadium from elsewhere (pic taken from same 'altitude' to check scale, it would fit nicely, but very little car-parking The parkland to the north is Ashton park. I too looked into this, but it is a beautiful, very well used bit of greenery and also just a tad too small for a new stadium. Not sure what other bit of land you refer to - to the north west(across the trunk rd)is Ashton court estate, land belonging to the mansion. This could never be bought, and the land is on a steep slope didn't know that. Stadium on a steep slope would be a laugh though, I'm sure I've seen one elsewhere, stand on one side that appears (from outside) to be single tier, on other side a huge tripple tier, but from inside both identicle.

Oh, and that shot of the bridge with the balloons was taken about 300yards from Ashton Gate. And about 600 from the new stadium site(well we think anyway!). It's easy to imagine a tv helicopter flying over with shots of the city and bridge and stadium in the build up to kick off for Brazil v. Scotland!!
I can imagine the helicopter shots, I'm not sure I can imagine Scotland in the finals though.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2906
Schmeek

Well I wouldn't be so sure. They have a bright future one would think.
Ok, Brazil v Australia. Better?
Schmeek no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #2907
Schmeek

Oh, and with regards Ashton Gate - have you been there to be able to form an proper opinion? Yes we all love 'our' ground, and yes it is starting to show it's age(especially the away end). But I don't see how anyone can deny that it's fairly attractive and compact, and of a decent size.
Schmeek no está en línea  
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #2908
Benjuk

Quote:
Well I wouldn't be so sure. They have a bright future one would think.
Ok, Brazil v Australia. Better?
At the moment I'd say Australia aren't looking that hot for 2018. But I'm not an Aussie, so it doesn't bother me overly. Go for Brazil vs USA (they'll continue to qualify so long as the likes of Honduras and Jamaica are unable to out qualify them).

Quote:
Oh, and with regards Ashton Gate - have you been there to be able to form an proper opinion? Yes we all love 'our' ground, and yes it is starting to show it's age(especially the away end). But I don't see how anyone can deny that it's fairly attractive and compact, and of a decent size.
Aye, been there twice. Around '89 when we (Sunderland) scored in the 1st minute and won 1-0, and again in '98 or '99 when we scored in the 90th and won 1-0. You'll be sick of the sight of me!!

I'm not having a pop at your stadium, it's just had it's time - like many grounds around the country not enough has been done to keep it up to date.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #2909
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
I agree. How about you put that superb photo of Bristol and the Balloons directly onto here
Well don't mind if I do!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the city of Bristol!

...in England!

And I still can't believe that people would rather have a World Cup game in Sunderland and Middlesborough than think about building a new 40,000+ seater stadium in Bristol...
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #2910
*England*
Who Dares Wins

Likes (Received): 0

are the people in them balloons escaping Bristol?
*England* no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #2911
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin007 View Post
And I still can't believe that people would rather have a World Cup game in Sunderland and Middlesborough than think about building a new 40,000+ seater stadium in Bristol...
Has anyone seriously suggested Boro, though?

Sunderland has only been mentioned because there is already a 48000 seater stadium in place, which is regularly filled to close that capacity, and if a reasonably successful team was assembled would require more seating.

Personally, I'd love to see a new stadium in Bristol - especially if it helped an England bid. I just like to see new stadiums, actually, no matter where they are.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 8th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #2912
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Middlesborough will always be an option, as there is room for expanding a 35,000 seater ground that is already in place. But neither this ground of the one in Sunderland are regularly filled close to capacity so expanding would be silly.

I'd love to see a new stadium near Oxford, as it's a beautiful city that World Cup tourists would love, but I can't see it happening. Bristol has much more chance of getting a new stadium for the tournament.
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #2913
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin007 View Post
Middlesborough will always be an option, as there is room for expanding a 35,000 seater ground that is already in place. But neither this ground of the one in Sunderland are regularly filled close to capacity so expanding would be silly.

I'd love to see a new stadium near Oxford, as it's a beautiful city that World Cup tourists would love, but I can't see it happening. Bristol has much more chance of getting a new stadium for the tournament.
Boro's average crowd is around 25k in a 35k stadium, barely filled the place when they were going well.

Sunderland's average crowd this season is over 42k in a 48k stadium, despite playing pretty poorly. They had a 47k attendance last season for a CCC game. I assure you, if the club has any measure of success they'll fill the place out just like Newcastle do up the road.

Oxford got a new stadium about 5 or 6 years ago, it's small and empty.

Bristol is the logical city for a new stadium - I honestly believe that if they got into the EPL they'd 'discover' a lot of new supporters - even if it were only when locals attended to watch the 'stars' from Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #2914
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

I think Bristol suffers from what many of the other smaller core cities do, the two team syndrome, whilst Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham can happily expect two teams from their cities to be in the Premiership, it is often better for the smaller core cities to only have one team, like Newcastle United and until recently Leeds United, which had sustained performance (until the meltdown of Leeds), whereas Sheffield, Nottingham and Bristol have two teams that divide the support, the stadium revenues and the money that goes into the football cities, allowing far smaller cities to get regular Premiership slots.
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #2915
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
At the moment I'd say Australia aren't looking that hot for 2018. But I'm not an Aussie, so it doesn't bother me overly. Go for Brazil vs USA (they'll continue to qualify so long as the likes of Honduras and Jamaica are unable to out qualify them).
We all know that the US are only there for one reason and its definitly not a on-field one.

How CONCACAF gets 3.5 places is a complete joke.
Old December 10th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #2916
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
We all know that the US are only there for one reason and its definitly not a on-field one.

How CONCACAF gets 3.5 places is a complete joke.
Agreed.

And nice to see the new avatar. A quality choice and not what I expected.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #2917
nazor
Perth

Likes (Received): 635

Quote:
Agreed.

And nice to see the new avatar. A quality choice and not what I expected.
its unlucky he cant change the name

i dont see a problem with us hosting this event at all....
nazor no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #2918
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazor View Post
its unlucky he cant change the name

i dont see a problem with us hosting this event at all....
Don't get me started again.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #2919
Gherkin
actual gherkin

I've updated some Spanish stadia on the first page. I'll add some possible Netherlands and Belgium stadia to the list soon, as they are likely to bid for the tournament

Has anyone got better aerial pics of the MCG that I can replace that tiny pic I'm using at the moment?
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #2920
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

World Cups in developing countries are wasteful and stupid even if spending on all 10 stadia is less than the cost of Wembley.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Columni...236055,00.html
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup