daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 15th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #281
XCRunner

Likes (Received): 0

Most of this just seems like an empty threat from Blatter anyways, to keep them from getting complacent. I don't think they would really act on it, unless worse came to worse. But all of this seems really unlikely.

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #282
Iggui
Tercermundista de corazón

Likes (Received): 1237

This is a pointless thread. I've read several articles and not once has Australia been mentioned. Blatter's quote about moving the world cup from South America is as follows: "No soy un profeta. Pero, si no están dadas las condiciones, el Mundial se trasladará probablemente a la parte Norte de las Américas", pronosticó. ("I am not a prophet. But, if the conditions are not right, the World Cup will move, probably to the Northern part of the Americas" he predicted.") Note there is no mention of Australia, nor does he even specify the USA or Mexico.

Australia can, and eventually probably will, host a World Cup sometime in the distant future (12-20yrs down the road). But don't get your hopes up for this one. Canada has a better chance of hosting this than Australia.

Mexico has the best soccer infrastructure in Latin America and it wouldn't take much more than a few cans of paint for them to host another world cup. The same can't be said of Brazil, whose stadiums are in need of a major upgrade.

Chile and Argentina have already declared their support for Brazil's candidacy. There is some interest in both countries in hosting it, but the will is not there in the upper decision making circles, both in their football associations as well as political circles. That said, I think both countries could realistically host the world cup should Brazil's candidacy falter.

This whole things is merely designed to get Brazil moving. They have been very complacent about their hosting the 2014 World Cup and this could cause them some problems.
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #283
Iggui
Tercermundista de corazón

Likes (Received): 1237

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRunner
Not likely, being that Mexico has already hosted it twice. I would say it's between Austrailia and USA if South America doesn't get it. Australia has never hosted it before, but it would be way WAY easier for the USA to host it. So it could go either way.
No, it could not go either way. Australia is not on the radar for 2014. I would not put it past FIFA to hand Mexico another world cup (after all, they received the 1986 World Cup because Colombia wasn't up to it). The USA I think would be the most likely choice (think of all the $$$$$) but Canada may have a small chance too.

In any case, it would be inconceivable for FIFA not to give the 2014 World Cup to Brazil, no matter how badly prepared they may be in the end. Brazil is Brazil and when it comes to getting the world cup no ammount of ill preparation will cause FIFA to award it to someone else. Only Brazil could get away with this. I think they'll be ready.
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #284
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggui
This is a pointless thread. I've read several articles and not once has Australia been mentioned. Blatter's quote about moving the world cup from South America is as follows: "No soy un profeta. Pero, si no están dadas las condiciones, el Mundial se trasladará probablemente a la parte Norte de las Américas", pronosticó. ("I am not a prophet. But, if the conditions are not right, the World Cup will move, probably to the Northern part of the Americas" he predicted.") Note there is no mention of Australia, nor does he even specify the USA or Mexico.

Australia can, and eventually probably will, host a World Cup sometime in the distant future (12-20yrs down the road). But don't get your hopes up for this one. Canada has a better chance of hosting this than Australia.

Mexico has the best soccer infrastructure in Latin America and it wouldn't take much more than a few cans of paint for them to host another world cup. The same can't be said of Brazil, whose stadiums are in need of a major upgrade.

Chile and Argentina have already declared their support for Brazil's candidacy. There is some interest in both countries in hosting it, but the will is not there in the upper decision making circles, both in their football associations as well as political circles. That said, I think both countries could realistically host the world cup should Brazil's candidacy falter.

This whole things is merely designed to get Brazil moving. They have been very complacent about their hosting the 2014 World Cup and this could cause them some problems.
Canada isn't better either, USA hosted it already 12 years ago, Mexico hosted it twice already. Canada's the only other American option but needs fierce renovation and expansion.
Martuh no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #285
Martuh
×××

Canada:

Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton - 60.217
BC Place - Vancouver - 59.841
Rogers Centre - Toronto - 53.000

With expansion:
McMahon - Calgary - 37.317
Canad Inns - Winnipeg - 29.503
Ivor Winne - Hamilton - 29.183
Frank Clair - Ottawa - 28.826
Taylor - Regina - 27.332
Molson - Montrèal - 25.000
PEPS - Quebec City - 18.500

That would make ten.
Martuh no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #286
Martuh
×××

Mexico

Azteca - Mexico City - 114.465
Olimpico Universitario - Mexico City - 72.449
La Corregidora - Queretaro - 50.000
Cuahutehmoc - Puebla - 42.649
Universitario - Monterrey - 45.000
Luis Pirata Fuente - Veracruz - 43.154
Jalisco - Guadalajara - 63.163

With expansion:
Tecnologico - Monterry - 38.622 (but mexico city already has 2 stadiums)
Corona - Torreón - 25.500
3 de Marzo - Guadalajara - 30.000 (but mexico city already has 2 stadiums)
Morelos - Morelia - 38.384
NEZA 86 - Nezahualcoyotl - 37.075
Nou Camp - León - 33.943
Universitario - Toluca - 32.000
León Chavez - Irapuato - 30.712
Miguel Hidalgo - Pachuca - 30.000
Manuel Reyna - Tuxtla Gutierrez - 25.000

Should do it.
Martuh no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #287
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney_lad
Depends what part of the country.

The southern states get pretty bloody cold, around Sydney it's not too bad and as you go up northern NSW and Queensland it's pretty bloody nice.

I assume Perth would be pretty nice too.
if that is the case y not keep the world cup at this time, y do some aussies want to change the time it is played?
Old April 15th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #288
pompeyfan

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by edennewstairs
it means nothing that the vast majority of australia's stadiums are oval!?

watching football with an athletics track around it is bad enough - watching a world cup game in a cricket ground would like watching table tennis at wimbledon!

the odd athletics stadium as a world cup venue is tolerated, the majority of venues being cricket grounds would be intolerable.
There is a thing called temporary seating

Keep up with my latest projects here
pompeyfan no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #289
sydney_lad
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd
if that is the case y not keep the world cup at this time, y do some aussies want to change the time it is played?
Don't worry mate, the only people who said it should be changed is 2 idiots on this forum.
Old April 15th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #290
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

You know if it won't be in Oz I'd be more than happy if Canada got the World Cup and NOT the USA or Mexico.

Nothing against Yanks or Mexicans but you guys have already had the World Cup. Its someone elses turn.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2006, 04:59 AM   #291
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexfan2
There is a thing called temporary seating
and there is also a thing called THE world cup, and THE world cup cannot be played in a bunch of cricket grounds with half-arsed temporary seating wheeled-in to improve appalling views, particularly when countless other countries could provide all the necessary purpose-built grounds at a minutes' notice.

you just don't get it. this isn't about australia - this is about football.
Noostairz no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #292
Noostairz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder
You know if it won't be in Oz I'd be more than happy if Canada got the World Cup and NOT the USA or Mexico.

Nothing against Yanks or Mexicans but you guys have already had the World Cup. Its someone elses turn.
it is not necessarily someone elses turn. it is the potential turn of any country that can meet all the necessary prerequisites. if that country is a new host, fantastic, if not, it's irrelevant that they've hosted the thing before. the most important thing is that they can host it to the standards demanded by fifa and the international footballing community (and rightly so).

Last edited by Noostairz; April 15th, 2006 at 05:14 AM.
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:12 AM   #293
victory

Canada will not host one.

Canada would only have 2 or 3 suitable venues.

most of thier stadiums are either undercover (domed) or outdoors with astroturf. And Canada are never likely to qualify on thier own for a WC, I suspect that after Sth Africa, FIFA will at least expect the host to have a chance of qualifying for WC's (SA are absolutely hopeless),
victory no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #294
BobDaBuilder

SA is a pretty decent side in their defense, they are almost as good as Australia and we utterly flogged England in London and got over Uruguay. The problem is that Africa is incredibly difficult to qualify through. Only the best team from a particular ground qualifies, unlike the European system where the top 2 or 3 get through.

You can bet your life that the USA WOULD NOT qualify through Africa. It is very inhospitable and the opposition down there is very, very tough.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #295
Noostairz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder

SA is a pretty decent side in their defense, they are almost as good as Australia and we utterly flogged England in London and got over Uruguay. The problem is that Africa is incredibly difficult to qualify through. Only the best team from a particular ground qualifies, unlike the European system where the top 2 or 3 get through.

You can bet your life that the USA WOULD NOT qualify through Africa. It is very inhospitable and the opposition down there is very, very tough.
you don't know anything about football, please stop pretending to - you're embarassing yourself.
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #296
sydney_lad
Registered Abuser

Quote:
you don't know anything about football, please stop pretending to - you're embarassing yourself.
I told ya, didnt i.

Unfortunately, there are too many people down here that have been so ignorant for so long and know nothing about the game. That's changing though.

Fortunately, there are also alot of people down here who love the beautiful game and are very knowledgable.

You'll find 'em in such sites as the one in my signature.

The guys on here are just plain embarresing
Old April 15th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #297
pompeyfan

Quote:
and there is also a thing called THE world cup, and THE world cup cannot be played in a bunch of cricket grounds with half-arsed temporary seating wheeled-in to improve appalling views, particularly when countless other countries could provide all the necessary purpose-built grounds at a minutes' notice.

So you are saying this about THE Olympics too, which have temporary seating as well

Old April 15th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #298
Philip Cronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulga
to take an event of that size from the only country that had ben in every world cup since the first one, where it is a really important event. what do you think it wouldbe the reaction in Brazil if Fifa took the world cup from Brazil in the year the team makes 100 years.
They shouldn't have an automatic right to it. At the moment their stadiums are dreadful.
Philip Cronin no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #299
pompeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Cronin
They shouldn't have an automatic right to it. At the moment their stadiums are dreadful.
Brazil's stadiums are like 50 years old

Old April 15th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #300
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:

What I don't understand is wtf does it matter what shape the stadiums are when most likely they'll be filled with Aussies anyway and people like yourself (along with billions of others) will be watching the tournament from home. How will a non rectangular stadium affect your TV viewing experience???

NavyBlue no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup