daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 25th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #3101
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Yep, that's definitely our best shot at hosting it IMO.
Option 1 or Option 2... I'd say they are both good ideas.
Benjuk no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #3102
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
Sure Canada is new territory for the FIFA, but so is Australia basically. And Australia is in the same timezone as Asia, which is FIFA's largest new territory!
Canada is really a long way from ever hosting a World Cup. There stadium infrastructure really sucks (you guys have great arenas though), and Canada has only one team in the MLS, come on!
Um, yes and no. Canada's stadium infrastructure does suck, but I wouldn't discount Canada without researching the facts. Canada represents a larger market than Australia. Canada is about 50% larger and there's a massive population within driving distance of all major Canadian cities. Asia is huge, but they can't exactly hop in their Honda and drive to Sydney.

Canada recently hosted the U-20 WC and smashed the attendance record previously held by Mexico. FIFA was very impressed and has been encouraging Canada to consider a future FIFA bid.

You are right that Canada would need better stadiums, but in most other areas, Canada is arguably much closer to being able to host than Australia is. If we had better stadiums, we're very much ready to host it now. This might be hard to fathom to a foreigner, but not to someone familiar with this country.

There are 9 cities over 750,000 people here. I believe FIFA requires 8 venues. There are only 5 Australian cities of any considerable size. Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane would have to 'double' up. Australia could do it, and deserves a WC, but it's rather fool hardy not to recognize that there are other markets that offer good alternatives. Canada is just one of many.

Last edited by isaidso; February 25th, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #3103
timmy- brissy
Don't Stare!

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Um, yes and no. Canada's stadium infrastructure does suck, but I wouldn't discount Canada without researching the facts. Canada represents a larger market than Australia. Canada is about 50% larger and there's a massive population within driving distance of all major Canadian cities. Asia is huge, but they can't exactly hop in their Honda and drive to Sydney.

Canada recently hosted the U-20 WC and smashed the attendance record previously held by Mexico. FIFA was very impressed and has been encouraging Canada to consider a future FIFA bid.

You are right that Canada would need better stadiums, but in most other areas, Canada is arguably much closer to being able to host than Australia is. If we had better stadiums, we're very much ready to host it now. This might be hard to fathom to a foreigner, but not to someone familiar with this country.

There are 9 cities over 750,000 people here. I believe FIFA requires 8 venues. There are only 5 Australian cities of any considerable size. Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane would have to 'double' up. Australia could do it, and deserves a WC, but it's rather fool hardy not to recognize that there are other markets that offer good alternatives. Canada is just one of many.
Im sorry but the rate australia is growing is way more quicker than Canada and surely that means cities like Gold coast, Newcastle and maybe Wollongong maybe big enough to have big stadiums and there population maybe just under a million there but if i would vote australia or canada it would be australia because there market is growing rapidly.Now on skysports there showing matches from australia.But who knows all im saying is australia's population could be two million in population beheind canada and with so much press of australia in the uk its likely that australia will have bigger cities.And now people are starting to watch football from australia.I no my friends watched the australian football final and enjoyed it.And even now players in the championship and primiership are starting to consider moving to australia.Plus they've had players like juninho paulista and dwight york play for them.
timmy- brissy no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #3104
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

I know pretty much about both countries, and I'm sure both would be a great host. Fact is that stadiums are the very basis of a WC bid though, and I can't see Canada building 8 to 10 40,000+ stadiums in the next 10 years really, there just isn't the demand for it.

It's true that Canada's population is larger, but Australia has enough cities to host the olympics. There are Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide ofcoruse, but Newcastle, Gold Coast, Canberra, and Townsville for example also have the potential to be included in a bid. What's more important is that all these cities have at least 1 team in a national league, be it AFL, Rugby League, or the A-League.

In Canada, there generally is a lack of top-league teams in the large cities, when you exclude NHL. I don't get why Canada has to team up with the USA for everything in sports. Surely you could expand your Canadian Football League beyond the 8 teams that it has now, and surely Canada can sustain a professional football league on its own with a population of 33 million? Compare it to Australia, which has succesful AFL, Rugby League, and Football competitions, and has 4 teams in the Super 14 rugby union competition...
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #3105
Joop20

Some of you are forgetting that China and Australia probably won't be bidding both, the AFC apperantly have stated that they want to have only one bid from their confederation (of which Australia is a member as well). So it won't be China vs. Australia, one of them will be selected by the AFC, if China decides to bid at all.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #3106
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
The big question regarding a joint bid is who would miss out of the extra spot at the finals? Australia and New Zealand would both have to get host spots - which means that another Federation would have to lose a spot. Asia would begrudge losing an auto spot to Oceania, which could lead them to voting against Australia/New Zealand, or against Blatter himself at the Presidential election - and Blatter won't allow that to happen. The other Oceanic nations would object to losing their 'half' spot, and could vote against Australia/New Zealand. It's a political minefield.

For the record, wasn't intended to be in any way condescending toward New Zealand, the comments were aimed square at The Age... Which also suggested that the MCG, TelstraDome AND the new 'Bubbledome' could be used as venues in an Aussie bid... 3 in 1 city, nice thinking boys.
I actually think the Kiwi's would not expect an automatic entry into the finals. I believe they would simply be pleased to have the football World on their doorstop, and all the rich trappings that would bring. Remember, the All Whites lost to Vanuatu only a couple of years ago. Who knows what scores they could suffer in the finals, and the NZFA know that.

Now if the joint bid had both Asia and the Oceanic federations and Blatter backing it, they could hold a strong hand.
KiwiBrit no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #3107
Benjuk

Quote:
Some of you are forgetting that China and Australia probably won't be bidding both, the AFC apperantly have stated that they want to have only one bid from their confederation (of which Australia is a member as well). So it won't be China vs. Australia, one of them will be selected by the AFC, if China decides to bid at all.
The Asian federation would back what they considered to be the strongest bid - so Australia still has to put together a better bid than China in order to get the finals.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #3108
Benjuk

Quote:
Australia could do it, and deserves a WC, but it's rather fool hardy not to recognize that there are other markets that offer good alternatives. Canada is just one of many.
Nobody 'deserves' a world cup.

There are probably about 30 countries around the world who have as much claim to host the finals as Australia - and 20 of them have never hosted it before.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #3109
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
I know pretty much about both countries, and I'm sure both would be a great host. Fact is that stadiums are the very basis of a WC bid though, and I can't see Canada building 8 to 10 40,000+ stadiums in the next 10 years really, there just isn't the demand for it.

It's true that Canada's population is larger, but Australia has enough cities to host the olympics. There are Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide ofcoruse, but Newcastle, Gold Coast, Canberra, and Townsville for example also have the potential to be included in a bid. What's more important is that all these cities have at least 1 team in a national league, be it AFL, Rugby League, or the A-League.

In Canada, there generally is a lack of top-league teams in the large cities, when you exclude NHL. I don't get why Canada has to team up with the USA for everything in sports. Surely you could expand your Canadian Football League beyond the 8 teams that it has now, and surely Canada can sustain a professional football league on its own with a population of 33 million? Compare it to Australia, which has succesful AFL, Rugby League, and Football competitions, and has 4 teams in the Super 14 rugby union competition...
You are quite right to stress the importance of stadia. It is Canada's largest obstacle to a WC bid by far. With all due respect, Canada wouldn't have to build as many stadia as you suggest:

BC Place Stadium, Vancouver, 60,000 reno required
Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton, 60,217
McMahon Stadium, Calgary, 35,000, reno and expansion required
BMO Field, Toronto, 20,000, expansion required
Olympic Stadium, Montreal, 59,000, reno required

Winnipeg will probably get a 40,000 stadium in the next 2 years. Soccer specific stadiums are being built in Vancouver and Montreal. Hamilton and Quebec City are already looking into building stadium, while 30,000 + stadium already exist in Ottawa and Regina. Toronto's Skydome has 54,000 seats, but probably not suitable. As you can see, much work would need to be done on this front, but Canada is hardly starting from scratch here.

As far as having enough cities, the Olympics only require one capable city, a WC requires 8, I believe. Australia could pull it off, but outside Australia's big 5 cities, the choices aren't good. Gold Coast yes, but Townsville or Canberra? Beautiful, but they simply don't have an adequate population base.

The argument about Canada not having it's own domestic league is a huge source of contention, not just in soccer, but all sports. It has more to do with the economics of pro sport on this continent rather than as a guage of popular support. Sport on this continent is determined by television revenue. The US with 10X the population will win that argument over Canada every single time. The result has always been the stunting of growth in Canadian leagues in favour of franchises in wealthier US leagues. A national disaster, but the lack of Canadian based teams should not be used as a determinant of support for particular sports. Canada is a very unique case in the western world in this respect. We live next to a super power. There are some major drawbacks to that. This is one of them.

I guarantee you, if Canada was an island thousands of miles from the USA, the CFL would have 20 teams, and domestic leagues in all sports rather than accepting the 1 or 2 franchises that Americans deem we're entitled to.

Benjuk:

Point taken. I agree.

Last edited by isaidso; February 26th, 2008 at 08:53 AM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #3110
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy- brissy View Post
Im sorry but the rate australia is growing is way more quicker than Canada. Now on skysports there showing matches from australia. But who knows all im saying is australia's population could be two million in population beheind canada and with so much press of australia in the uk its likely that australia will have bigger cities.And now people are starting to watch football from australia.I no my friends watched the australian football final and enjoyed it.And even now players in the championship and primiership are starting to consider moving to australia.Plus they've had players like juninho paulista and dwight york play for them.
With all due respect to your wonderful country, Australia won't catch Canada in population in your life time... even if you live to 100. Australia may be growing quickly, but so is Canada. The Greater Toronto region alone absorbs more immigrants each year than any city in the western world: about 125,000. That's almost as much as all of Australia. Australia took in 131,000 in 2006.

Australia's rapid ascension is great, but keep in mind that you live in the Australian-UK cultural sphere. People from these 2 countries follow what goes on in Australia and the UK. In other parts of the world, we don't. I have zero idea who Juninho Paulista or Dwight York are. You can't guage Australian cultural influence around the world, till you travel beyond that UK-Australia bubble. We are all guilty of this. North Americans live in our own bubble too. Do you know who Steve Nash is? Probably not. See what I mean?

I hope you get the WC, just realize that there's stiff competition out there from many many capable nations.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #3111
Joop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
The Asian federation would back what they considered to be the strongest bid - so Australia still has to put together a better bid than China in order to get the finals.
Yeap, that's what i meant actually, they'll be bidding against eachother to become the AFC's nomination, but not in the final stage of the 2018 bidding.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #3112
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
With all due respect to your wonderful country, Australia won't catch Canada in population in your life time... even if you live to 100. Australia may be growing quickly, but so is Canada. The Greater Toronto region alone absorbs more immigrants each year than any city in the western world: about 125,000. That's almost as much as all of Australia. Australia took in 131,000 in 2006.

Australia's rapid ascension is great, but keep in mind that you live in the Australian-UK cultural sphere. People from these 2 countries follow what goes on in Australia and the UK. In other parts of the world, we don't. I have zero idea who Juninho Paulista or Dwight York are. You can't guage Australian cultural influence around the world, till you travel beyond that UK-Australia bubble. We are all guilty of this. North Americans live in our own bubble too. Do you know who Steve Nash is? Probably not. See what I mean?

I hope you get the WC, just realize that there's stiff competition out there from many many capable nations.
Timmy is from the UK mate. Also, Juninho Paulista & Dwight Yorke are VERY well known around the world. In Australia, we don't live in a bubble at all. In fact, i'd say we pretty much have our fingers on the pulse in world events. It's mainly North America that lives in a bubble. (Especially USA)

P.S. I know who Steve Nash is.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #3113
timmy- brissy
Don't Stare!

Quote:

You are totally correct on the theory but if oyu1 actually knew the players i could tell Dwight york played for Manchester United and Juninho Paulistam plaqyed for brazil and Middlesborough and Athletic Madrid and we are talking about football the most popular sport in the world steve nash.But anyway im guessing steve nash is plays for NBA and international team of canada and maybe captian but its just a guess.
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #3114
GTown
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Steve nash is a canadian of English and welsh heritage who is a basketball player..am i right
GTown no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #3115
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Timmy is from the UK mate. Also, Juninho Paulista & Dwight Yorke are VERY well known around the world. In Australia, we don't live in a bubble at all. In fact, i'd say we pretty much have our fingers on the pulse in world events. It's mainly North America that lives in a bubble. (Especially USA)

P.S. I know who Steve Nash is.
Ah, I assumed Brissy meant Brisbane. Thanks for the info on Paulista and Yorke. As far as living in a bubble. Everyone on earth lives in a bubble in some respects. We all get a decent splattering of what goes on in the world, but you only have to travel from one region of the world to another to realize that we all live in 'cultural spheres' of influence.

It's rather naive to think that it is just North Americans that live in a bubble. Do you think South Americans or Chinese people keep up with cricket and Coronation Street? No, they don't. We all share certain things, but many cultural phenomenons do not transcend boundaries. Soccer is an exception to the rule. That's one area where Canadians and Americans really do live in a bubble.

For instance, you could easily have gotten through the entire 90's in North America without ever having heard of David Beckham or Kylie Minogue. I had to go to the UK in 2000 to realize who they were and that they were famous. People know who Beckham is now, but Kylie is still abit of a stretch.

We hear more about Mexico or Russia than we do about Australia. It's not that nothing happens there, it's simply that Australia isn't on our radar. I'm sure Canada isn't on the radar in Australia for the same reasons. We don't play cricket, rugby, or netball, and there's simply a massive cultural disconnect. Australians have a connection with Brits, we have ours with Americans.

I'm surprised you know who Steve Nash is, but I'm sure the point isn't lost on you. What's popular in the UK and Australia often doesn't translate beyond your borders. What's popular here often doesn't either. That is what a bubble is. It's simply arrogant for anyone in Canada, the US, Australia, or the UK to infer that what is relevant in our own respective countries is what the rest of the world is paying attention to. This argument is in response to a post that suggested it was.

Any way, back to the thread. Australia will get the WC eventually. There's just a lot more competition than people on this thread seem to acknowledge. There are many many nations besides the anglo-tunnel vision (USA, Canada, UK, Australia) we're all guilty of perpetuating.

Timmy-brissy:

very very good guess. Yes, he's our best basketball player, and 2 time NBA MVP. I doubt you could name another 20 Canadian sports stars though. That's more of what I am getting at. Our cultural reference points are different. To a Brit, New Zealander, or South African, Australia is a logical reference point. To an American, Russian, or Chinese person, Canada makes more sense. Awarding a WC will play on many of the same perceptions. It has to do with geography and cultural ties.

Last edited by isaidso; February 26th, 2008 at 12:38 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #3116
Benjuk

Quote:
I doubt you could name another 20 Canadian sports stars though. That's more of what I am getting at. Our cultural reference points are different. To a Brit, New Zealander, or South African, Australia is a logical reference point. To an American, Russian, or Chinese person, Canada makes more sense. Awarding a WC will play on many of the same perceptions.
I thought the whole point was that, in football terms, Aussies have attracted (formerly) world class players - whilst Canadians have attracted... Danny Dichio.

The average Canadian, it would appear, can not identify Juninho - a world cup winner with Brazil and a former player with a few huge clubs (and Middlesbro), or Dwight Yorke - former Aston Villa and Man Utd, a world cup player at 34, still in the English Premiership at 36 - which shows a distinct lack of interest in football... Again, I think this was the original point - in footballing terms, Australia is culturally ahead of Canada.

As for Steve Nash - when there's a Basketball World Cup, no doubt Canada will be ahead of Australia in the bidding.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #3117
isaidso
the new republic

I understand your point, but cultural ties don't seem to be as huge a factor as one might think. It's financial/physical support for an event that often trumps cultural support. Purists are going to be ticked off, but the reality in Canada/USA is that a WC gets massive support mainly because it is the WC, not because it is soccer. Same goes for the Olympics.

If it's not gridiron (US or Canadian Football), basketball, ice-hockey, or baseball + perhaps golf or auto racing, it just doesn't register. We still get awarded events because they are massively supported. If cultural interest trumped financial/physical support we'd never get the Olympics, but we get awarded them all the time.

Soccer fans probably rolled their eyes when the USA was awarded the WC, but those games were a huge success. Same would happen if they came to Canada. Canada will probably get awarded a WC despite the cultural disconnect because they would be a huge success here, and the sport is booming due to huge immigration from everywhere.

Soccer surpassed hockey in participation by Canadian adults for the first time ever last year. We still have a traditional disinterest in sporting news from beyond North America that is all. Australia is more internationalist in it's view of sports. We simply aren't. It's not our history. We've never looked beyond our borders in this one area. Our own sports have always been all-consuming.

Basketball? Well that may be our own sport, but there is no reason Australia should stand behind Canada in bidding for the Basketball World Championship. We've got the NBA anyway. Basketball may be culturally ours, but sport should be shared with all who want to host it. A cultural pecking order doesn't put a sport's interests first. A case in point: The 72nd Ice Hockey World Championships are going to be hosted by Canada for the first time in history in 2008. That's a shocker isn't it?

Last edited by isaidso; February 26th, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #3118
PrinzPaulEugen

Likes (Received): 1

Here's the reason Australia wont get it:

Largesse

We stand on our own laurels. An Australian FIFA world cup would be the best ever, just like the 2000 Olympics and the 2003 Rugby World Cup. Australia loves sport for sport - not money. Our problem is that we aren't inherently corrupt and/or willing to pay the hundreds of millions worth of bribes to secure such an event. Up against China and Russia???? No hope.
PrinzPaulEugen no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #3119
timmy- brissy
Don't Stare!

PrinzPaulEugen is that david Carney in your pick.
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #3120
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6300

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinzPaulEugen View Post
Here's the reason Australia wont get it:

Largesse

We stand on our own laurels. An Australian FIFA world cup would be the best ever, just like the 2000 Olympics and the 2003 Rugby World Cup. Australia loves sport for sport - not money. Our problem is that we aren't inherently corrupt and/or willing to pay the hundreds of millions worth of bribes to secure such an event. Up against China and Russia???? No hope.
That's also why you lost to Italy in WC 2006, you were just out there playing football, expecting the match to be decided on merit, you weren't experienced enough to know that when an Italian player enters the opposition penalty area he's better at diving then an Olympic swimmer!

Canada, unfortunately, will not be getting a football WC for quite some years i think, we just don't have the neccessary stadium infastructure or fan base to really put forward a serious bid that would challenge the likes of England/China/Spain/USA or even Russia. Hopefully with a Canadian team now in the MLS it might be the start of a growth for the sport, but it will still take a fair few years if it does happen, the 'soccer' WC is probably the most difficult tournament to host; it is unlike anything else, so for countries like Canada and Australia to say "well we hosted a hockey tournament last year which went very well"....it's not the same. Though I dare say that if the Canadian government ever did set it's mind to it they could come up with the money to fund a new generation of stadiums that could be used for soccer/american football...capacities might not be the greatest but it could still be an option if ever FIFA needed a backup plan.

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup