daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #3141
Vermeer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder View Post
Russia is a 'closed state'. Meaning tourists cannot just jump in a car in Berlin or Paris and drive up to Moscow.

There is that much red tape that it is just not worth the effort.

Parts of Russia is geographically in Europe, but their attitudes are backwards and insular.

The World Cup should only be staged in free states. We don't want to be like the IOC and reward these despotic anarchic states.
You can’t have followed the news the last 15 years. Russia is as far as I know open and you can travel wherever you want. It’s even much richer than the Old Empire (read England). Most of us West-Europeans will have problem to accept UK as Europe. You are the American’s “hangarounds” and have nothing in common with the European culture.
Vermeer no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #3142
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

"Closed state" is a wrong term to use , nowaday you can almost go any where in the world ,depending on your bank account ,for example Cuba has always been a "closed state" but their Tourism Industry has never been better than now so maybe they should host the World cup too , enough of all of the Countries mentioned above you guys are just very greedy and it shows
skyboi no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #3143
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Sure you can 'visit' Russia. But to obtain a visa practically everyone has to get this 'invitation'. Which is just beaureacratic red tape and is used by people just to screw money out of tourists.

It would be better if Russia just asked 50 US/GBP/Euros for a visa which entitles you to stay for 3 months.

Problem is because Russia is so suspicious of foreigners that it is impossible to get a simple system there. But I guess it suits certain types that they keep things the way they are.

I am afraid Russia has no chance of hosting anything more than a FIFA womens trophy in the short term until it becomes more westernized and liberal. When the two English clubs supporters have all kinds of problems getting in there for the UCL final it will prove how much trouble it is to get there by comparison with the west.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #3144
BobDaBuilder

Malcom Dunn, 47, mortgage broker, went to Moscow to watch England last October and hopes to return for the Champions League final.

'I think a lot of people are in for a shock about how things are in Moscow. It took me almost a month to get my visa for the England game, which cost £95. Then the costs of things in Moscow - a beer is £10 in a hotel bar, and a meal, even of steak and chips, will be a minimum £50 - are absolutely astronomical.

'Getting around is nigh-on impossible. The metro is cheap but it's difficult to follow because everything is in Russian. We didn't feel safe travelling on it. We were also told not to display flags or team colours or have meetings of more than four people because that's classed as almost a political rally and you ran the risk of being arrested.

'It's crazy to have the Champions League final in Moscow. Fans will need to be at the stadium three or four hours early just to get through the security.'

Why is UEFA staging big matches in Russia has to be asked. Stick to the western countries.
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #3145
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

What does any of this have to do with Australia and their (lack of) capability to host a World Cup!

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #3146
BobDaBuilder

^

Someone brought up the prospect of Russia hosting it and I just wanted to nip that in the bud straight away. Incidently I will be in Russia next year for a while, so we will see just how free and prosperous they have become.

2018 will be between USA, England, Oz and China.

China should not get it either, simply because the place is a despotic closed state.

I would be more than happy with USA or England. England probably deserves it in all honesty, but it would be great if we could get it down here in Oz one day soon.

Now they have Susan Boyle.
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #3147
Samacado

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Russia is a 'closed state'. Meaning tourists cannot just jump in a car in Berlin or Paris and drive up to Moscow.

There is that much red tape that it is just not worth the effort.

Parts of Russia is geographically in Europe, but their attitudes are backwards and insular.

The World Cup should only be staged in free states. We don't want to be like the IOC and reward these despotic anarchic states.

So the US with its VISA resitrictions, fingerprint, 4 hour waiting when coming to the country is an "open state'?

I think your pic of Russia has been frozen some 20 years ago.
Samacado no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #3148
aCidMinD81
Tres huevos

Likes (Received): 37

FIFA president Sepp Blatter wants Spain to bid for 2018 World Cup

"I have good memories of the 1982 World Cup in Spain," Blatter told a visiting party of 50 soccer officials from Spain led by Angel Maria Villar, a vice-president of FIFA.

"I have heard that you might have some interest in hosting another World Cup," Blatter said Monday. "I encourage the Spanish FA to present a bid and the next occasion when this would be possible is for 2018."

South Africa will be the first African nation to host the tournament in 2010, and Brazil has been awarded the 2014 World Cup.

The English Football Association has set aside 18.9 million euros (C$29.5 million) for its bid to host the 2018 tournament. Other likely candidates include Canada, the United States, Mexico, Belgium and Netherlands as a joint bid, Russia, China, Japan and Australia.

FIFA votes on the host nation in 2011.

Link
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #3149
poxuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Malcom Dunn, 47, mortgage broker, went to Moscow to watch England last October and hopes to return for the Champions League final.

'I think a lot of people are in for a shock about how things are in Moscow. It took me almost a month to get my visa for the England game, which cost £95. Then the costs of things in Moscow - a beer is £10 in a hotel bar, and a meal, even of steak and chips, will be a minimum £50 - are absolutely astronomical.

'Getting around is nigh-on impossible. The metro is cheap but it's difficult to follow because everything is in Russian. We didn't feel safe travelling on it. We were also told not to display flags or team colours or have meetings of more than four people because that's classed as almost a political rally and you ran the risk of being arrested.

'It's crazy to have the Champions League final in Moscow. Fans will need to be at the stadium three or four hours early just to get through the security.'

Why is UEFA staging big matches in Russia has to be asked. Stick to the western countries.
wtf? I think this Malcom Dunn simply lies Steak and chips - maximum 1-1,5$, beer - 1$.
In the street it is possible to go absolutely free and with the big groups with flags, nobody will arrest you! And I agree that pic of Russia of many fool people has been frozen some 20 years ago.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #3150
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 550

There is no way Spain should get it again before England does
BeestonLad no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #3151
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

W/C, Olypmpic... are big Business ,that's where the money comes in for the Organizers and Corporations , as well as promoting their Country in the world stage, so it's no surprised people will do whatever it takes to disgrace other who's got the Game or want to compete with them for the right to host , to me they are all equally Deceptive no more or less , so it's better not to listen to any wild speculations because they will all die down after the games are over
skyboi no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #3152
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCidMinD81 View Post
FIFA president Sepp Blatter wants Spain to bid for 2018 World Cup

"I have good memories of the 1982 World Cup in Spain," Blatter told a visiting party of 50 soccer officials from Spain led by Angel Maria Villar, a vice-president of FIFA.

"I have heard that you might have some interest in hosting another World Cup," Blatter said Monday. "I encourage the Spanish FA to present a bid and the next occasion when this would be possible is for 2018."

South Africa will be the first African nation to host the tournament in 2010, and Brazil has been awarded the 2014 World Cup.

The English Football Association has set aside 18.9 million euros (C$29.5 million) for its bid to host the 2018 tournament. Other likely candidates include Canada, the United States, Mexico, Belgium and Netherlands as a joint bid, Russia, China, Japan and Australia.

FIFA votes on the host nation in 2011.

Link
Sepp Blatter says exactly what his audience wants to hear... Now there's a new story.

I still say the only realistic options are England, USA and China... Mexico's had it twice (both since England last had it), Canada, lovely country, but I'd imagine they'd struggle with venues, Japan had 1/2 a tournament in 2002, and I'd imagine that a lot of UEFA nations would vote against a joint Belgium/Netherlands bid as it would reduce the number of spots available for qualification by one (I can think of at least a dozen nations more likely to qualify than Belgium, and at least 2 dozen who would be jealous of Belgium getting a 'free' path to the finals). And for my little Aussie, too much to overcome at this point (stature of the game, venues, distance, etc) - it's only 3 years til the vote, only 10 years til the finals, and we're still piddling around with an 8 team comp (only 7 in Oz) and average crowds of around 10k. Give it time to grow so we can do it properly. 2022, maybe 2026.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #3153
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Here are two little articles about English and Spanish 2018 bids:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...h.worldcup2018
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/7491286
Kobo no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #3154
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxuy View Post
wtf? I think this Malcom Dunn simply lies Steak and chips - maximum 1-1,5$, beer - 1$.
In the street it is possible to go absolutely free and with the big groups with flags, nobody will arrest you! And I agree that pic of Russia of many fool people has been frozen some 20 years ago.
Don't worry about Bob, he tends to talk crap.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #3155
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Sepp Blatter says exactly what his audience wants to hear... Now there's a new story.

I still say the only realistic options are England, USA and China... Mexico's had it twice (both since England last had it), Canada, lovely country, but I'd imagine they'd struggle with venues, Japan had 1/2 a tournament in 2002, and I'd imagine that a lot of UEFA nations would vote against a joint Belgium/Netherlands bid as it would reduce the number of spots available for qualification by one (I can think of at least a dozen nations more likely to qualify than Belgium, and at least 2 dozen who would be jealous of Belgium getting a 'free' path to the finals). And for my little Aussie, too much to overcome at this point (stature of the game, venues, distance, etc) - it's only 3 years til the vote, only 10 years til the finals, and we're still piddling around with an 8 team comp (only 7 in Oz) and average crowds of around 10k. Give it time to grow so we can do it properly. 2022, maybe 2026.
Average crowds are around 14,500, '09/'10 season will be 10 teams. I think it won't be long after that & the league will be 12 teams. But i agree with what you're saying otherwise.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #3156
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

Australia will get the World Cup with this to be soon. You see we are the leaders in putting on world events. As Juan Antonio Samaranch said at the closing Ceremony of the Sydney 200 Games " You have put on the best Olympic Games ever!- crow goes mad". We the heard the same remark when Melbourne hosted the 2006 Commonwealth Games " You have staged the best Commonwealth Games ever- crowd goes nuts!". You see we areleaders, Atehns had a lot of bad press and 30 years to pay off Olympic Debt, Beijing is already screwed and from what I hear from town planner friends in London, its going to manin for 2012.

Melbourne alone is building a world class Soccer Stadium, if you go to OZSCRAPER and click VIC down the bottom you will see a topic called" rectangluar stadium", that will be done by the end of next year. We are in preperation for the World Cup as it may seem. We have a booming A League with many International Players playing for our teams, and Famous Greek team alone cant remember what one is going to have their international base at our new stadium in Melbourne. Now...

Add with the boom in Brisbane and Perth, along with tourists and migrants flociking to Australia and our excellent reputation, me thinks we will get in verty soon.

I would also like to comment on how some readers belive Australia isnt on the world radar in North America. What a load of shit, many Australian travel and do student exchange, not to mention the amount who are taking over Hollywood and as for the Kylie Minogue comment, she was just there 2 weeks ago on Danicng with the Stars!. People know where we are and often aspire to be like us, just speak to American backpackers whop dont want people to know they are from the US, and the refuse to say they are Canadian as they belive Canada is backwards.

In essence we will host the games and we will host the best games aswell!

Cheers.
melbstud no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #3157
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Oz will not get the WC for another 2 rounds. Reason? Simply that the next 2 are already Southern hemisphere tournaments. So, a 3rd one in a row won't happen. It'll probably be UK 2018, and then probably USA 2022. And then by 2026, that'll probably be between Oz, China and Russia.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #3158
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 550

lol an arrogant aussie theres a suprise. Although in this instance there is nothing to be cocky about, Australia wont be capable of hosting the best ever world cup for a long time yet
BeestonLad no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:43 AM   #3159
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeestonLad View Post
lol an arrogant aussie theres a suprise. Although in this instance there is nothing to be cocky about, Australia wont be capable of hosting the best ever world cup for a long time yet
Settle down! Don't be so stereotypical. There are just as many arrogant english people as there are aussies.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:45 AM   #3160
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Blatter need to make his mind up again.That second story the guy is hilarious
marrio415 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup