daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 1st, 2008, 07:16 AM   #3161
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

AUSTRALIA will get it, if not the one before it.
melbstud no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:12 PM   #3162
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbstud View Post
Oh you mean the one that has already been awarded to Brazil?
BeestonLad no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM   #3163
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

What a ****. This is why football should be left to the Europeans, Africans and South Americans.

Why are Spain going to waste money bidding aswell. How stupid are the top dogs?
Flogging Molly no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:39 PM   #3164
Vermeer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBrit View Post
I actually think the Kiwi's would not expect an automatic entry into the finals. I believe they would simply be pleased to have the football World on their doorstop, and all the rich trappings that would bring. Remember, the All Whites lost to Vanuatu only a couple of years ago. Who knows what scores they could suffer in the finals, and the NZFA know that.

Now if the joint bid had both Asia and the Oceanic federations and Blatter backing it, they could hold a strong hand.

A joint bid between Australia and New Zeeland will in distance be the same as a joint bid between England and Morocco.
Vermeer no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:57 PM   #3165
Vermeer

Quote:
Australia will get the World Cup with this to be soon. You see we are the leaders in putting on world events. As Juan Antonio Samaranch said at the closing Ceremony of the Sydney 200 Games " You have put on the best Olympic Games ever!- crow goes mad". We the heard the same remark when Melbourne hosted the 2006 Commonwealth Games " You have staged the best Commonwealth Games ever- crowd goes nuts!". You see we areleaders, Atehns had a lot of bad press and 30 years to pay off Olympic Debt, Beijing is already screwed and from what I hear from town planner friends in London, its going to manin for 2012.

Melbourne alone is building a world class Soccer Stadium, if you go to OZSCRAPER and click VIC down the bottom you will see a topic called" rectangluar stadium", that will be done by the end of next year. We are in preperation for the World Cup as it may seem. We have a booming A League with many International Players playing for our teams, and Famous Greek team alone cant remember what one is going to have their international base at our new stadium in Melbourne. Now...

Add with the boom in Brisbane and Perth, along with tourists and migrants flociking to Australia and our excellent reputation, me thinks we will get in verty soon.

I would also like to comment on how some readers belive Australia isnt on the world radar in North America. What a load of shit, many Australian travel and do student exchange, not to mention the amount who are taking over Hollywood and as for the Kylie Minogue comment, she was just there 2 weeks ago on Danicng with the Stars!. People know where we are and often aspire to be like us, just speak to American backpackers whop dont want people to know they are from the US, and the refuse to say they are Canadian as they belive Canada is backwards.

In essence we will host the games and we will host the best games aswell!

Cheers.
Must be fantastic to live in a perfect country. If there are anything you are not best at, please tell me.
Vermeer no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:37 PM   #3166
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

Korea and Japan jointly bid and won as well...

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM   #3167
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogging Molly View Post
What a ****. This is why football should be left to the Europeans, Africans and South Americans.

What do you mean by why are Spain going to waste money bidding as well? Spain have a very good change of getting the WC2018 if they would come up with a bid.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:44 PM   #3168
CrazyMac
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

Sepp Blatter is prick. The only reason he wants Spain to bid is because he hates the English and in paticular the English newspapers...and the thought of England hosting the World cup is unbearable...**** him.

Its Englands turn. One world cup in 60 years for the country that invented the game is a ******* disgrace and just shows the level of jealousy and hatred of all things English in FIFA and UEFA.
CrazyMac no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:58 PM   #3169
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

Well, to be fair we only bid once in that time as far as I know....that's hardly FIFA's fault now is it? That said, Blatter is a bit of an idiot.
RobH no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:10 PM   #3170
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Blatters a ****, and so are UEFA and FIFA. The confirmation for more was when they told referees before the world cup to crack down on Peter Crouch and penalise him every time. It still happens to this day. How can an organisation deliberately single out a player for refs to give fouls against at every opportunity. That screams cheating before a balls even been kicked.

And Spain dont stand a chance of winning 2018. For a start if they won it ahead of England, FIFA will lose all crediability with the worlds leading footballing nation. Something knowbody wants to do in whatever they do.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:16 AM   #3171
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5605

Quote:
And Spain dont stand a chance of winning 2018. For a start if they won it ahead of England, FIFA will lose all crediability with the worlds leading footballing nation. Something knowbody wants to do in whatever they do.
Well that sounds to me as if England is bidding, they should get it. I am sorry but I do not think it works that way. I am not a big fan of UEFA and FIFA either, but it is in their best interest to have as many countries bidding to host the WC-2018. Blatter is doing just that.

On points England has a good chance to win the WC-2018 bid. The stadium infrastructure is very good and will improve over the next years to come. And since 1966 they did not bid and subsequently did not host another WC anymore. Compared to Germany which hosted 1974 and 2006, that strengthens the England chances. England will need to play their cards right in order to win, I am sure they can win. Personally I will like it very much if England would win, but it is not a certainty.

Because do not rule out Spain. Also they hosted only once in 1982. In their favor counts that their stadium infrastructure is equally good as Englands, also many new big stadiums are being built, renovated and expanded (i.e. Zaragoza, Bilbao, Sevilla, Valencia, Barcelona, Madrid). And Spain has lots of Hotel capacity and have invested heavily on a terrific infrastructure. Big improvements in roads, high speed rail and airports (definately much more than England has done) are big assets. And the good weather in Spain, the sunny pictures that will appeal to the public, are also plus points for Spain.

The Belgium-Netherlands WC-2018 bid is to me an outsider at best. But if the large countries can not agree on who is going to host, they might just run away with it. The strongest point in their bid is the EURO-2000 tournament which they co-hosted very well, and the central position and easy reachability of the stadiums since both countries are very close to or even neighbouring to Germany, France and Great Britain. The stadiums will not be the largest venues (though Brussels and Antwerp plan new large stadiums in Belgium and the Netherlands will expand the Amsterdam ArenA to about 70.000 seats and Rotterdam will build for sure (after than more than 80 years) a new Feyenoord stadium which will seat a minimum of 75.000 spectators!). Since that stadium is the one I very frequently visit, I know that with or without WC-2018, it is going to be build!
EPA001 no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:54 AM   #3172
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0m View Post
Korea and Japan jointly bid and won as well...
No they didn't. Korea bid and won, then the bid started to unravel so FIFA allowed Japan to join in and dig Korea out of trouble. It caused a massive organisational headache with the Asian Federation wanting all of their qualification spots PLUS an extra host spot for Japan. Also caused headaches over who would get the hosting rights for the final.

This is why FIFA have said that joint bids will only be allowed if it's one organising committee and counted as one nation. If there is a joint bid, it'll be interesting to see which country gets to qualify automatically and which will have to earn their place...

Quote:
I'm assuming you mean that if Brazil's preparations aren't up to standard Australia can step in to save the day? Not going to happen. Australia may be able to build the required stadiums if they have a 4 or 5 year warning (as would be the case if they won the 2018 bid), but no way could they do it in a year (which is about how long they'd have in the event of a collapsed attempt by the selected host). If Brazil were to fail, the finals would most likely be moved to the USA.

As for a 2018 bid... As has been said countless times before - it will go to Europe, UEFA won't allow themselves to be outbid. The world cup has NEVER been played outside Europe when the Europeans were eligible to host it. It used to alternate between Europe and the Americas, in 2002 Asia took the place of the Americas, and despite Blatter's wishes (and promises) Germany beat South Africa for 2006 - FIFA had to change the rules for 2010 and 2014 in order to make sure the finals went to Africa and South America. The new rules have been brought in specifically to allow Europe to host every 3rd finals and give the rest of the world 2 tournaments to fight over... So, 2018 Europe, 2022 - Australia/USA/China/etc.

Last edited by Benjuk; May 2nd, 2008 at 04:02 AM.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:15 AM   #3173
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
Well that sounds to me as if England is bidding, they should get it. I am sorry but I do not think it works that way. I am not a big fan of UEFA and FIFA either, but it is in their best interest to have as many countries bidding to host the WC-2018. Blatter is doing just that.

On points England has a good chance to win the WC-2018 bid. The stadium infrastructure is very good and will improve over the next years to come. And since 1966 they did not bid and subsequently did not host another WC anymore. Compared to Germany which hosted 1974 and 2006, that strengthens the England chances.
England made a terrible bid for 2006, got it all wrong assuming that 40 years since 1966, tradition and 'New Wembley' would be enough. Ironically, New Wembley wouldn't have been ready in time for FIFA anyway.

As it stands, in order to host the finals you need 13 of the FIFA Exec votes.

9 votes come from Europe. Assuming a unified bid is put in from each federation, and England gets the Euro vote, that will be 9 votes in the bag for England.

3 votes come from CONCACEF - Jack Warner has already said he'll back England. He may be a money grabbing tosspot, but Warner rarely changes direction no matter how much pressure is put on him. He controls CONCACEF - so that's 3 votes for the English bid. One more needed.

For the 2006 finals, Europe and South America did a deal in order to squeeze Oceania out of an automatic qualification spot - Europe sided with South America who effectively got 1/2 a spot back (ultimately Uruguay lost to Australia so Oceania got the place anyway), in return South America arranged its WC qualifiers in 2 game blocks to cause minimal disruption to Euro clubs with top South American players... It's reasonable to assume that Europe and South America will be able to come to some kind of arrangement for the 2018 bid (especially as South America can not bid for the finals themselves).

In the event that Belgium/Netherlands, or Spain, gets the Euro bid, the South American voting would be the same (or even stronger with the Spanish connection), and that Africa could be swayed with the promise of European backing for an African 2022 bid.

In short, it's hard to imagine Europe not getting the tournament.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:19 AM   #3174
*England*
Who Dares Wins

the english papers wont help our bid, during the big run up to the votes they're bound to start dishing some dirt on blatter and warner, i just hope they keep quiet til we win the bid.
*England* no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:02 PM   #3175
GTown
BANNED

nearly all that post was complete bollocks
GTown no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:58 PM   #3176
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

But the english papers will be the first people to celebrate...
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #3177
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

The English could learn a thing or two about humility. This whole sense of entitlement is really annoying. It's worse than when Canada pulls this shit in reference to hockey. Football is the world's game and England is just part of it. You're not owed anything. If Spain puts together a nice bid, they should not be hindered by the fact that the game was not created within their borders.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #3178
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The English could learn a thing or two about humility. This whole sense of entitlement is really annoying. It's worse than when Canada pulls this shit in reference to hockey. Football is the world's game and England is just part of it. You're not owed anything. If Spain puts together a nice bid, they should not be hindered by the fact that the game was not created within their borders.
I agree, the sense of entitlement some other England 2018 supporters show here is annoying. There are plenty of advantages we have over other bids and I'd even suggest we're early favourites but nothing's set in stone and nor should it be; lack of competition is exactly what has caused FIFA problems for 2014 so a fierce bidding contest for 2018 is exactly what's needed.

I think most England 2018 supporters are more realistic though Krudmonk, especially after what happened with our 2006 bid so I resent your use of "The English" as if everyone has that attitude.
RobH no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #3179
petersc75

While I would love England to get the 2018 World Cup and I think the fact we have only held the competition once before is in our favour I still believe a fair bidding competition should be held. We should make a strong bid and try to win on merit rather than just demanding that its somehow our turn and if we lose then we should have the dignity to lose with grace and wish whatever country does get given the Cup good luck.
petersc75 no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #3180
Flogging Molly
BANNED

I dont think anyone here quite understands politics. England wont lose its second bid in 20 years to allow another European nation to host 2 world cups in a time span twice as short as Englands wait. The Football Association is to large to upset as is England footballing credentials as a whole. The amount of foreign investment, commercial deals is something FIFA cant turn down. England is the only other nation that can compete with Germany in football finances from a public point of view. England cannot lose.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup