daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 14th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #3201
high_flyer

Likes (Received): 16

I think a big factor of how our bid will be judged will be how successful the Olympics in 2012 go
high_flyer no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #3202
Gran Kanarya
Gran Kanarya

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebie View Post
It will go to Asia.

Too much money, power and the way they will see it as its been 16 years since it was last in asia.

They will demand it and get it.....With the likely winner China
not in 2018 but there's a big chance China will get the world cup in 2022 if they make a bid
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #3203
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
And what country could possibly provide that other than the USA or a China willing to spend untold billions? Nah, FIFA may have some weird ideas at times but that's not going to happen Ben!
Never doubt the decision makers at FIFA. They will do whatever they want to do to get what they want... As you say, only the US and China could do 8 x 60k at the moment, so just supposing FIFA wanted to ensure world cup finals in the US in 2018 and China in 2022, what better way to 'cook the books'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
I don't think a minimum 60K capacity would be a problem personally, Wembley, the Emirates and Old Trafford already have it, Liverpool and Newcastle seem very likey to have it, Sunderland and Villa could likey achieve it with redevolpment and you've got alot of teams who may well be in a position where they're after a stadium that size anyway(Sheffield Weds, Leeds, Everton). With a bit of goverment cash I think you could see alot happen very quickly.
Not a problem in theory - but requiring a lot of money to be spent. I can't see the government being too keen to plough money into the game in England as the main beneficiaries would be the very clubs that make an absolute fortune from the game as it is. This is not like South Africa or Brazil, where the nations stand to gain enormously from a World Cup so it makes sense for the government to chip in... As for the venues - Newcastle have some huge infrastructure problems stopping them expanding (for the Gallowgate End to go back further would require the relocation of an underground train station AND the re-routing of a very street), for the Milburn Stand to expand an entire street of protected buildings would have to mysteriously burn down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogging Molly View Post
Umm since when did Blatter single out Spain? or Is that because you are spanish? Blatter will be in a mental asylum come 2018 anyway!
He said it when he was in Spain... He'll say the same positive things about the prospective Australian bid in a couple of weeks when he's here for the FIFA annual conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
They have not yet. But Sepp Blattler urged them to do so, so they just might do this. That is debated in this thread now. And personally I think a possible bid by the Spanish FA would be a serious competitor to the English bid. Both stand a good chance of getting the tournament although I would be (just a bit) happier if England were to get to host the WC-2018.
Blatter wants more bidders because the more realistic bids there are, the more money there will be flying around in bids to demonstrate to FIFA officials which is the best bid. He must have been devastated that no one bid against Brazil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebie View Post
It will go to Asia.

Too much money, power and the way they will see it as its been 16 years since it was last in asia.

If it's about money and power, there's virtually no way that Europe will miss out in 2018.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #3204
Marutokung!

Likes (Received): 15

I think it go to south america.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #3205
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marutokung! View Post
I think it go to south america.
R u crazy? 2014 is already slated for South America. So unless you know something the rest of us don't,....
rover3 no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #3206
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

After the crowd violence in Manchester you have to wonder if the authorities are capable of controlling large crowds in England. The cops there seem too soft and incapable to laying down the law.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #3207
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Oh my good lord! What an absolute joke. Our policing is valued acorss the whole continent off football. We train officers from every nation for christ sake on how to control crowd violence. Maybe you should view domestic troubles in countries such as Spain, Italy and co. Thats like The Britain off the 70's. Not off today!
Flogging Molly no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #3208
RobH

Likes (Received): 10322

No country in Europe has as good a record at policing football matches as England. Tell me what the police should have done since you're such an expert and then maybe we can discuss England 2018 properly.

According to your logic Spain oughtn't bid either as their police have a nasty habit of beating people up for no reason.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #3209
aCidMinD81
Tres huevos

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
According to your logic Spain oughtn't bid either as their police have a nasty habit of beating people up for no reason.
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #3210
Republica
BUND

its true.

And the italian police (in rome at least) are friends with the 'ultras' (ie. hooligans).
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #3211
*England*
Who Dares Wins

Quote:
It will go to Asia.

*England* no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #3212
Dasher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_flyer View Post
I think a big factor of how our bid will be judged will be how successful the Olympics in 2012 go
Given the host country for 2018 will be announced in 2011, I think the success or otherwise of the Olympic Games will play little part in the decision process.

As an Australian I would love to see us get it in 2018, but I think that's a little unrealistic. But we'll still try nonetheless.

I think 2022 is more realistic for us, although it will be tough to convince The AFC to allow us to be the sole bid from Asia for a second successive bid when China is waiting in the wings.

The best thing, from an Australian point of view, would be a disastrous Olympic Games this year in Beijing. Not that I wish that upon them, but I wouldn't be too upset if it were to happen.
Dasher39 no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #3213
Vermeer

Quote:
No country in Europe has as good a record at policing football matches as England. Tell me what the police should have done since you're such an expert and then maybe we can discuss England 2018 properly.

Only Brits has anything positive to say about British Police. No police in Europe has a worse record when it comes to crowd control. When it comes to violence the record is even worse (I know a Brazilian family that would agree with me), not to mention corruption and getting innocent people convicted.
Vermeer no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #3214
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 551

Im sure there are many more Brazilian families that have lost loved ones due to the Brazilian police, they are gang themselves
BeestonLad no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #3215
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermeer View Post
Only Brits has anything positive to say about British Police. No police in Europe has a worse record when it comes to crowd control. When it comes to violence the record is even worse (I know a Brazilian family that would agree with me), not to mention corruption and getting innocent people convicted.
Sarcasm does suit people when they are obviously ignorant little shits.

Quote:
Hundreds, possibly thousands of people are shot by police every year in Brazil, a BBC investigation has found.

The authorities say it is mainly criminals caught in military-style raids on drug gangs but according to a former senior official, new evidence suggests that many of the shootings are cold-blooded executions conducted by the police.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4463010.stm

Oh and one from just last month

Quote:
Brazil police search for drug lord after slum raid kills 11
The Associated PressPublished: April 26, 2008

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil: Police combed the alleyways of a Rio de Janeiro slum on Saturday in search of an alleged gang leader who escaped a raid that killed 11 people, including a 70-year-old woman.

Friday night's bloody operation failed to turn up the suspected head of the drug trade in the City of God shantytown, a man known as Tota, said a policeman who gave his name only as Sgt. Freitas in accordance with police policy.

"He's in hiding," Freitas said. "But we're there and looking for him.

Police said 10 of those killed on Friday were alleged drug gang members. Seventy-year-old bystander Jocelia Afonso was killed by a stray bullet, and two other elderly residents were wounded in the crossfire, Freitas said.

The day the Respected British Force does something like this remind me yes?

Quote:
RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (Reuters) - At least 30 people have been killed in a Rio de Janeiro suburb by gunmen the state security chief says he believes were rogue police officers -- the worst death squad massacre in the violence-torn Brazilian city in more than a decade.

Innocent men, women and children were randomly killed in the shooting spree on Thursday night in Baixada Fluminense in Rio’s rough north side.

The victims included a civil servant drinking in a bar, a young boy playing pinball, a cook on his way home from work and a transvestite prostitute, morgue officials said.

Marcelo Itagiba, Rio’s Public Security Secretary, said rogue police likely carried out the massacre as a reprisal for the arrests earlier on Thursday of officers suspected of a separate double murder. The arrests were part of a crackdown on death squads formed by rogue police officers to carry out criminal acts and other criminal activity by police.
When it comes to crowd trouble, no police have a better record, and no country has better restrictions. We created hooliganism. We've learnt to control it. Everyoine is second fiddle when it comes to stopping it. The reason why I'LL REITERATE. British police train others, not the other way round.

Last edited by Flogging Molly; May 16th, 2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #3216
Flogging Molly
BANNED

And just one more. I wonder what this family said? Huh ... a ******* training exercise and they are still to stupid to realise

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/13-year-...king_situation
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #3217
Vermeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogging Molly View Post
Sarcasm does suit people when they are obviously ignorant little shits.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4463010.stm

Oh and one from just last month

The day the Respected British Force does something like this remind me yes?

When it comes to crowd trouble, no police have a better record, and no country has better restrictions. We created hooliganism. We've learnt to control it. Everyoine is second fiddle when it comes to stopping it. The reason why I'LL REITERATE. British police train others, not the other way round.
Rule Britannia and the Old Empire are dead. The Queen is a joke and if it hadnít been for you licking the ass of the Americans you would have been the loneliest country in the world. Stop bragging about a great country that doesnít exist and try to be realistic. There are no reason whatsoever why England should be given the World Cup on a silver plate.
Vermeer no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #3218
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Nobody's bragging. What they are defending though are your obviously damn right ridiculous views on cultural aspects of this world and have got blinkers on when it comes to the UK.

What people were trying to defend was the suggestion England should'nt host the world cup because an unprecendented amount of supporters from Scotland caused a bit of trouble in manchester. British laws have been adapted more then anyones to restrict potential crowd violence and the police are pretty respected across the footballing world. Your nationalistic prejudices are obviously from a deranged young person who has nothing but desperate jealousy. Grow up.
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #3219
Weebie

Likes (Received): 5

UK have little chance.

They maybe alright now but by the time 2018 coems around most of the venues will be ageing and out of date.

Like I said the AFC will win it. Asia and Arabs ahev too much influence now maybe even more than UEFA. (Just look at how easy they are able to court undeserving world cup places for the confederation)

The only thing they haev against them is a poor tv time zone to Europe but not The Americas
Weebie no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #3220
Weebie

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermeer View Post
Rule Britannia and the Old Empire are dead. The Queen is a joke and if it hadnít been for you licking the ass of the Americans you would have been the loneliest country in the world. Stop bragging about a great country that doesnít exist and try to be realistic. There are no reason whatsoever why England should be given the World Cup on a silver plate.
I agree.

There is nothing Great about the UK. Except for posessing the worlds greatest city the rest of Britain is poor..economical depressed and in my honest opinion 2nd world.

Britain was great....World War 1 f**ked it and World War 2 made sure it would never recover. Now Britain resembles a country that relys on low wages immigration and a financial centre that is run by Aussies and Kiwis.

The Future is Asia and anyone who has there head outside of Euro Football is well aware that China will announce there intention to bid for the 2018 WC within 3 months after the Olympics.
Weebie no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup