daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 16th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #3221
larsul
Proximamente CASAHUS.COM

Likes (Received): 90

Olympics has nothing to do with the world cup.. If you get the world cup you get it, period. If not, somebody else will..
SnapChat: larsul60
Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/larsul60
larsul no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #3222
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Weebie! Is that short for Itellectually superior being?
Flogging Molly no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #3223
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebie View Post
UK have little chance.

They maybe alright now but by the time 2018 coems around most of the venues will be ageing and out of date.
If you are seriously supposing that the forces behind England's bid are not planning to do any improvements or new facilities, then you're ignorant of the facts. None of the nations planning a bid will do so based on just their existing facilities and infrastructure. Try to keep it real, please.

Quote:
Like I said the AFC will win it. Asia and Arabs ahev too much influence now maybe even more than UEFA. (Just look at how easy they are able to court undeserving world cup places for the confederation)
Even with those new places, which had more to do with global population changes than undue politics, UEFA and Conmebol rule the roost. And barring truly impressive finishing efforts by South Africa and Brazil, FIFA will avoid using the World Cup as a tool for new development in under-served communities, and they've already nixed the idea that it needs to be rotated around the globe evenly. Thus, taking into account the factors behind a bid (diversity of metros, established infrastructure, local fan support, etc) that pretty much limits the next AFC bid to China or Australia. That being the case, it will take political pressure to suggest either of those bids will surpass the logistics from any of the UEFA bids already on the table. China may have some big stadiums, but not every community is tourist friendly, many of the structures are older and cavernous all-sport facilities, poor infrastructure, etc. Put all that together and, as of right now, it would, IMO, take underhanded dealings to suggest either of those bids would provide the better arrangement than what I expect from England, Spain or the Benelux contingent. This isn't to say those bids won't be solid, but they won't be better for the nature of the event. World Cup is far different from a single, localized Olympic games.

Quote:
The only thing they haev against them is a poor tv time zone to Europe but not The Americas
Uh, for the World Cup in Japan/Korea I was having to get up at 2 and 5 AM. Asia start times are not the most conducive to US viewership, save on the west coast.

Quote:
The Future is Asia and anyone who has there head outside of Euro Football is well aware that China will announce there intention to bid for the 2018 WC within 3 months after the Olympics.
Good for them. Any chance they'll improve their record with human rights by 2018? How about improving health care and the economies for average workers? It's one thing to keep some 100k tourists pacified and under control (the way the state government wants) when everything is confined to essentially metro Beijing. It's wholly different when you have 30,000 drunken fans each from Germany, Netherlands, Brazil and elsewhere traipsing across the nation from venue to venue.

I'm not saying they can't bid or won't get it, but it's far from a slam dunk just because Asia is densely populated.
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #3224
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsul View Post
... If you get the world cup you get it, period. If not, somebody else will..
Truly, such wisdom can only be achieved through beer!
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #3225
richieboy

Likes (Received): 0

Hopefully England will get it.Our country invented the game and gave it to the rest of the world to loveWe have magnificent stadiums and wonderful cities..it will be magnificent! In my opinion it would be a travesty if a non-football country like australia gets it..football is derided there and belittled by 90% of the population..it doesnt deserve it..it has no history or tradition of football.
richieboy no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #3226
RobH

Likes (Received): 10311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermeer View Post
Only Brits has anything positive to say about British Police. No police in Europe has a worse record when it comes to crowd control. When it comes to violence the record is even worse (I know a Brazilian family that would agree with me), not to mention corruption and getting innocent people convicted.
That's why the Italians want to adopt the "British model" for crowd control at football matches is it?

As for the rest of your rant, pfffft. Nothing to do with England 2018 and not backed up by facts...hardly worth responding to really.

Quote:
I agree.

There is nothing Great about the UK.
Quote:
Rule Britannia and the Old Empire are dead. The Queen is a joke and if it hadn’t been for you licking the ass of the Americans you would have been the loneliest country in the world. Stop bragging about a great country that doesn’t exist and try to be realistic. There are no reason whatsoever why England should be given the World Cup on a silver plate.
Quote:
UK have little chance. ( <my response)

They maybe alright now but by the time 2018 coems around most of the venues will be ageing and out of date.
Oh, the trolls are out in force tonight. If it wasn't so pathetic I'd be laughing.

To the ignoramous who questioned our stadium infrastructure, and to those who think the UK (by that I assume they mean England) has little chance I respond with this:

image hosted on flickr

RobH está en línea ahora  
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #3227
Flogging Molly
BANNED

and I'll reply with

When the Chinese travel with quarter of a million fans maybe they deserve a world cup.

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #3228
MOTA

Likes (Received): 0

Portugal and Spain together. Iberic Cup!
MOTA no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #3229
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTA View Post
If they would pull that together it would be a serious thread for an England bid.
They could do the same ofcourse by making it a UK bid.
But Portugal and Spain together would make a spectacular bid.
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #3230
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

The violence from after the UEFA Cup final proved yet again in the UK that fans there simply cannot be trusted.

What is wrong with people over there? Supposedly they are 'adults' and they behave like psychopaths. Why don't they join the armed forces or play contact sports if they want to fight. I guarentee most of those fans one on one would be gutless ******s in fights.

No chance the World Cup should be entrusted to Britain.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #3231
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder View Post
The violence from after the UEFA Cup final proved yet again in the UK that fans there simply cannot be trusted.

What is wrong with people over there? Supposedly they are 'adults' and they behave like psychopaths. Why don't they join the armed forces or play contact sports if they want to fight. I guarentee most of those fans one on one would be gutless ******s in fights.

Jesus christ? Are you an ignorant twit aswell?

Yeh One set of riots in a couple of seasons. Real bad. Suppose this trumps all the racist cards Spain play and all the murders Italians commit. ******* dick. This really pisses me off. If you travel in the numbers the British do, a SMALL minority are bound to be a little aggresive. However. Its pales in comparison to what it use to be. If you were around in the 70's you probably would've been met with a shot gun or a machete in the terraces. Now its a bottle of coke and a 8 year old kid. Ohhh scary.
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #3232
Flogging Molly
BANNED

From March this year

Quote:
Attack images heighten concern over fan violence in Spain
Mar 25, 11:50 am EDT

March 25 (Reuters) - Film of an Atletico Madrid fan being kicked and beaten with a stick by Sevilla supporters before last Saturday’s league match has heightened concern about the level of violence in Spanish football.

The images, taken on a mobile phone and published on the Internet before being aired on television, show the fan being attacked as he lay bleeding on the ground outside Sevilla’s Sanchez Pizjuan stadium.

Spanish media reported that a Sevilla fan was also attacked and stabbed in the leg before the match, which Atletico won 2-1, though local police said they had no knowledge of the incident.

“They are deplorable incidents that have no place in football and should not be allowed to be repeated,” Atletico defender Pablo Ibanez told a news conference on Tuesday.

Violence at Spanish football has increased in recent seasons with clashes between rival fans and the police and the throwing of objects onto the pitch becoming regular occurrences.

Earlier this month, Athletic Bilbao goalkeeper Armando had to have six stitches for a cut on his face after being hit by a bottle thrown from the stands by a Real Betis fan.

Betis were fined 9,000 euros ($14,020) and ordered to close their stadium for two matches, although they have made it clear they intend to appeal against the decision. (Reporting by Simon Baskett)
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #3233
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieboy View Post
Hopefully England will get it.Our country invented the game and gave it to the rest of the world to loveWe have magnificent stadiums and wonderful cities..it will be magnificent! In my opinion it would be a travesty if a non-football country like australia gets it..football is derided there and belittled by 90% of the population..it doesnt deserve it..it has no history or tradition of football.
I think England will probably get it, but you should make a trip to Australia sometime, everyones attitude towards the game has changed.....alot!
Wezza no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #3234
Flogging Molly
BANNED

This is true. I havent been since 2005 but Football was talked about alot.
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #3235
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
UK have little chance.

Like I said the AFC will win it. Asia and Arabs ahev too much influence now maybe even more than UEFA. (Just look at how easy they are able to court undeserving world cup places for the confederation)

The only thing they haev against them is a poor tv time zone to Europe but not The Americas
Have you been nominated for the 'most ridiculous forum member award' yet? I don't know if you can beat Vermeer, BobDaBuilder and the likes though... keep on trying.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #3236
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieboy View Post
I wish for a successful England bid, as well, but let's not be pious about it, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
If they would pull that together it would be a serious thread for an England bid.
They could do the same ofcourse by making it a UK bid.
But Portugal and Spain together would make a spectacular bid.
The concept of joint bids has been discussed and already dismissed. Unless FIFA changes their tune this isn't happening. PM me if you need more reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder View Post

That some 40 people got too drunk to think straight is not indicative of the nation/island overall, nor does it suggest such behavior is isolated to England.

Finally, please think before using such language. If the internet wasn't such an anonymous forum would you be bold enough to call someone or some people a bunch of "gutless ******s?"
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #3237
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
The concept of joint bids has been discussed and already dismissed. Unless FIFA changes their tune this isn't happening. PM me if you need more reasoning.
Serious question, why do the Netherlands and Belgium do their best to make a serious bid then? They should have enough reasoning thereselves. I supose they have contacts to.
The Netherlands and Belgium could profide a good bid. And distances (sorry for my English) can not be the problem. the Netherlands + Belgium is smaller then England.
England is favourite, but will not win it hands down. There are serious planns in specialy the Netherlands to build some great stadiums in the future.
My advice to England is, stay focused, because allthough favourites hands down it will not be.
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #3238
BNE01

Likes (Received): 176

I don't know what you guys are arguing about Australia is going to get the Finals!

And anyone that does not realise the support for the sport down here has obviously never been to a Socceroos game either here or overseas!
BNE01 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #3239
Flogging Molly
BANNED

I have. There are alot of fans in Australia. But it wont get it before England thats a certainty.
Old May 17th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #3240
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogging Molly View Post
From March this year
Rather conveniant all that seems to get totally ignored the instant the specter of the british football thug rears its head. I'd guess its the reason why many european leagues have not taken the nesserly action to stamp out violence, whenever something happens the first thing anyone seems to say is "at least were not as bad an the english were in the 70's/80's".
MoreOrLess no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup