daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #3241
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
The concept of joint bids has been discussed and already dismissed. Unless FIFA changes their tune this isn't happening. PM me if you need more reasoning.
According to whom? This thread users?

Quote:
"El presidente de la FIFA, al menos, confirmó una buena noticia para nuestro fútbol y es que la idea de una candidatura conjunta entre España y Portugal para la organización del Mundial del año 2018 va tomando cuerpo. “Holanda y Bélgica ya han presentado su informe por escrito y en la FIFA nos consta que también existe interés de México, Estados Unidos, Inglaterra, Rusia, China, Australia y una opción conjunta de España y Portugal”.
Well... not by the FIFA President himself.

And recent news have said that the Spanish and Portuguese FA's are favourable to the idea and will meet again during Euro 2008.
Aka no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #3242
JGuerreiro
world citizen

Likes (Received): 3

What a great new to Portugal. I think together we can make it great, although naturaly Spain will have 70-80% of the stadiums and games due to their size.

Anyway, Portugal doesn't have size to do it alone.
JGuerreiro no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #3243
Flogging Molly
BANNED

They could produce a great bid. I just dont think tehy would win it due to Euro 2004 already being in Portugal. Spain have a better chance alone, plus I dont think the spanish people would like it to much considering they could hold it themselves.
Flogging Molly no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #3244
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

I don't think a joint bid is impossible however it would be at a big disadvanatge, if Spain/Portugal or Neatherlands/Belguim means one less european team is going to qualify do you really think any of them are going to vote for it? Japan/Korea got away with it because there was nobody else in the asian federation to offer an alternative.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #3245
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
Serious question, why do the Netherlands and Belgium do their best to make a serious bid then? They should have enough reasoning thereselves. I supose they have contacts to.
The Netherlands and Belgium could profide a good bid. And distances (sorry for my English) can not be the problem. the Netherlands + Belgium is smaller then England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
According to whom? This thread users?

Well... not by the FIFA President himself.

And recent news have said that the Spanish and Portuguese FA's are favourable to the idea and will meet again during Euro 2008.
Fine, technically speaking His Blatterness and FIFA haven't officially ruled out joint bids but raised the very prospect after the difficulties they realized during Korea/Japan. They've also dicouraged it as a means of both increasing the volume of overall bids and as a means to encourage countries to invest in their own infrastructure.

When Netherlands and Belgium announced their bid they acknowledged FIFA would have to be reconvinced such partnerships could still work. An Iberian pairing, a British bid, or even the Benelux bid could all work fine, but still presents problems. Mainly FIFA doesn't want to offer 2 guarantee bids to host teams. They've already proposed making the hosts qualify like everyone else, but realize that'd spoil the support for the event from the home fans. So if Spain and Portugal pair up, would Portugal support the effort if their team failed to qualify?

FIFA is also weary of two superpowers merging bids. What if two larger countries in UEFA, like Netherlands and Germany merged? As a bid it would be tough to turn down and essentially raise the politcal nature of the process. If FIFA is going to look to someone like England or Spain they're going to ask why those countries are needing a partner instead of investing in themselves. Look at how many middling clubs recieved great facilities as a result of Germany's cup! That's what they want to see.

There's also the issue of travel logistics. FIFA didn't enjoy the issues with visa/passport management during Korea/Japan. Granted not every situation would be that spread out or present the same problems, but not every situation would be as graceful an international trip as traveling from Manchester to Glascow. (Or any other placw within the EU, for that matter). And if there's a precedence for pairs, what about 3 or 4 nations joining up?

I'll amend my statement to suggest FIFA does allow paired bids, but they're not as given to it as UEFA is with the Euro tournaments and have vowed after Korea/Japan to be extra critical of the package. So while an Iberian bid is possible, it lacks the necessities that make the Benelux bid more palatable to them. At least in the latter case it's clear neither nation could host a WC on their own.

Cheers.
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #3246
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Just supposing a Benelux bid, other than Amsterdam, Brussels, Antwerp, Rotterdam, the Hague, Utrecht -- what other cities of any size or importance would merit being a WC venue? So, Bruxelles would get the opener and Amsterdam the finals?
rover3 no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #3247
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5605

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
Just supposing a Benelux bid, other than Amsterdam, Brussels, Antwerp, Rotterdam, the Hague, Utrecht -- what other cities of any size or importance would merit being a WC venue? So, Bruxelles would get the opener and Amsterdam the finals?
Well, the final should go to Rotterdam again, just as in the Euro 2000 tournament. Because in Rotterdam the City and Feyenoord (and founders) will construct the largest stadium of the area (and of the surrounding countries for that matter).

Plans have leaked that they will build an 80.000 seater as the new Feyenoord stadium, this was no secret. But this is(was): it could be expanded to 100.000+ seats. And the latest info, which is half confirmed, half rumours, has it that they will built the large version from the start. They want to tie capacity with Camp Nou at 106.000 seats (the number which Camp Nou will hold once it has been renovated and expanded in two years or so).
The plans call for a real football stadium which breathes the atmosphere of a football stadium. The atmosphere of the present Feyenoord stadium is one of the examples for the new stadium. Other examples are Emirates, Allianz, Arena Auf Schalke and Reliant Stadium.

Now this new Feyenoord stadium will be built with or without a WC in 2018 in the Netherlands and Belgium. Because Rotterdam needs a new stadium badly. The old one is basically a continues sell-out at 47.000 spectators. Also season tickets are sold out and commercial opportunities are very thin in this old stadium. Staying there will mean losing out money and competitive power against the other teams in the league, especially PSV and Ajax. And the city is losing out big time on lucrative concerts and congresses which go to other facilities, mainly in Amsterdam of course.

The old stadium De Kuip, a very historic venue being now over 70 years old, could still be used (after some modifications) as a supporting stadium for the WC 2018. Even with new, wider seats and upgraded facilities the capacity will still be well above 40.000 spectators.

Amsterdam will increase the ArenA to just over 70.000 seats (more is impossible without demolishing neighbouring buildings close to the stadium, according to a study done by the stadium management and Ajax). This expansion will also be done, with or without the WC-2018 being awarded. Also Ajax could achieve higher numbers in spectators and sponsors with an expanded stadium then they can do now.

The Hague and Utrecht have no stadiums to host a WC match at this time. But if the WC-2018 is awarded to the Netherlands-Belgium bid, this could change very rapidly.

There are plans to build a 50.000 seater on the Western part of Utrecht, in a new development area along the A2 highway. The recently renovated and expanded venue on the East side of the City (24.500 seats) can not be expanded anymore because of limitations set by the area the stadium is built in. The plans are still being debated. The club FC Utrecht has recently been taken over by an investor, so that might speed up the process. Time will tell if this stadium will be built soon.

The new stadium in The Hague (1 year old, for ADO Den Haag) only holds 15.000 or so at this time. It is an all seater and it is situated at the intersection of the A4 and A12 highways. But it could be expanded to 40.000+ if the WC 2018 comes to the Netherlands and Belgium.
Now ADO Den Haag is a second league team, but they play a final promotion match against RKC Waalwijk soon (tomorrow I believe). So maybe they will be in the first league again next year. That could speed up developments there too.

Eindhoven will increase the capacity of the Philips stadium of PSV up to about 42.000. Also with or without the WC. PSV is dominating Dutch football the last 10 years or so. They will take their measures to remain competative in the future.

Enschede is building a 40.000+ seater (in two stages) for FC Twente as we speak. It will be one of the best looking in The Netherlands for sure. And FC Twente as a club are developing rapidly. The stadium expansion underlines this. The present capacity of 13.500 is continuesly sold out.

Heerenveen is continuesly expanding the fairly new Abe Lenstra stadium of SC Heerenveen (26.000 seats now, final capacity will be 40.000+. The final number is not determined yet. Also SC Heerenveen is a fast growing club. The stadium is almost always sold out.

Alkmaar will expand the new, only two years old DSB stadium for AZ to 40.000+ from the present 17.000. Work will commence in 2008 or 2009. They have waiting lists for season tickets so they need this expansion bad. But they have conducted studies showing that their ground could be enlarged to a maximum capacity of 60.000 seats, if they need them. They really want to put some heat on Ajax in the Northern Randstad Area where Ajax basically has no competition.

Groningen is also continueasly expanding the new (3 years old) Euroborg stadium for FC Groningen. This summer they will increase from 19.600 to 24.000, and they are studying on how to reach the 40.000+ mark now. The stadium is part of a multi-functional complex, so it will take some work to make this happen. But the demand is there so I am sure they will find a way.

So even without City numbers 3 & 4 in the Netherlands (DH &U) there are a possible 8 venues in the Netherlands in the making or already there.

Now if Belgium will build new venues in Brussels and Antwerp, that makes already 10. However, I do think that Belgium will not build the big stadiums before the WC-2018 has been rewarded to them.

And I think in Brugge and Liege (Luik) there could be new venues build or existing ones expanded or redeveloped. Brugge has two first league teams, (Club and Cercle) they play in the same Jan Breydel stadium now. And Standard Liege (Luik) just turned champions again after more than 20 years. Their Sclessin stadium could also be redeveloped up to standards to hold WC matches.

The larger stadiums (50.000 - 70.000 seats?) would be in Brussels and Antwerp of course, Brugge and Liege would be supporting stadiums but still need to be big enough to hold 40.000 spectators. And Brussel can still offer the present King Boudewijn stadium as a venue.

So the stadiums would not be the biggest a WC has ever seen, but they would be up to the standards that FIFA sets, if they do not change the rules. This they have done frequently, as have UEFA.

Now on the other matter of two organizing countries:

As long as it is one organizing committee, FIFA has no problems with two (smaller) countries organizing a single WC tournament. FIFA was just very unhappy about the WC 2002 which basically were two tournements in one WC.

Two countries, not really connected, two organizing committees, two identies, two styles, it just did not feel as one WC tournament. FIFA will make sure that such a thing will not happen again. The Netherlands and Belgium have proven already they can organize a great tournament as one entity with one identity. They showed this perfectly with the Euro 2000 tournament which impressed UEFA and FIFA for that matter.

Now despite all the beautiful plans, and despite the thought that I am sure the WC 2018 will behosted in Europe, I think England stands the best chances for the WC 2018, but Spain is only just behind them. The Netherlands-Belgium bid is to me the outsider one at best, but it is not without a chance. If it comes to them many preparations would have been done already.

May we have your votes please ...........?

Last edited by EPA001; May 18th, 2008 at 01:20 AM.
EPA001 no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #3248
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Gee everyones very optimistic arent they.
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #3249
Zeno2

As always, don't expect too much from Belgian stadiums. They suck today and they will suck in 2018. The Dutch should organise the WC themselves if they are smart.

Brugge and Standard de Liege each intend to build a new 40.000 arena, which in my opinion is too small, given the fact that they already play for a 27.000 (sold out) crowd. Typical Belgian mentality, always playing on the safe side, no guts at all.

Anderlecht (same problem) also prefers a new arena (60.000) that will become the homebase for the national team at the same time.

Only Standard has the support of local politicians, their new stadium will be first to be erected.

Artevelde stadium in Gent (20.000) will start in september.

And that's it.

The renewed Heysel stadium is a big disaster, it has absolutely no catering or business facilities at all. Tents are built before each important game (national team or cup final) in front of the main stand. Belgian football anno 2008.

What about Antwerp? They talk about a new stadium for more than 20 years now. Back in 1988 George Kessler came up with a group of German investors to build Euope's first soccer arena with a retractable roof but nobody was interested.

I wouldn't count on Genk or Charleroi either. Their current stadiums (24.000 and 22.000) can last for a while without a problem.
Zeno2 no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #3250
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5605

Thanks ZENO2 for the Info on the Belgium situation on new stadium developements. It is not as good looking as here in the Netherlands, but I still think the WC 2018 should be organized by Belgium and the Netherlands. If the bid is awarded to them of course.

Once the decision has been taken, Belgium will come across and build new stadiums. It is the perfect boost for Belgium Football, although the Euro 2000 was also a good boost. But the Netherlands converted thier chances much better than Belgium did.

But Belgium should be there in the bid, Brussels, Antwerp, Brugge and Liege(?) are beutiful cities which add quality to the bid. Also the two countries together offer more hotel capacity, stadium capacity, airport capacity, etc, etc. So to me it is like this: either we bid together or we do not bid at all!
EPA001 no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #3251
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 965

The Netherlands is going faster with their developments than Belgium. However you can count on them when you need them for such things. For the Netherlands the WC might give a smaller boost for their venues, because they are all thinking of expanding. It wouldn't be strange if Belgium would build a bigger national stadium to compete with the dutch counterparts. I am sure that they want the opening again (as in the euro 2000), because they can't show up with a stadium of 50.000 while Rotterdam & Amsterdam probably will have 70.000 - 100.000+ stadiums.

If Belgium has 4 large venues, and the Netherlands 8, it seems to be fine in the current situation, considering every stadium will be 40.000+ than. Maybe even more Belgium stadiums when it comes to the point of making the final plans.
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #3252
Overground

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
That's why the Italians want to adopt the "British model" for crowd control at football matches is it?

As for the rest of your rant, pfffft. Nothing to do with England 2018 and not backed up by facts...hardly worth responding to really.

Oh, the trolls are out in force tonight. If it wasn't so pathetic I'd be laughing.

To the ignoramous who questioned our stadium infrastructure, and to those who think the UK (by that I assume they mean England) has little chance I respond with this:

image hosted on flickr

Overground no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #3253
Vanguard

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebie View Post
I agree.

There is nothing Great about the UK. Except for posessing the worlds greatest city the rest of Britain is poor..economical depressed and in my honest opinion 2nd world.

Britain was great....World War 1 f**ked it and World War 2 made sure it would never recover. Now Britain resembles a country that relys on low wages immigration and a financial centre that is run by Aussies and Kiwis.

The Future is Asia and anyone who has there head outside of Euro Football is well aware that China will announce there intention to bid for the 2018 WC within 3 months after the Olympics.

LOL @ the Aussie inferiority complex.

If only any of that were true, eh, Weebie?
Vanguard no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #3254
Vanguard

Likes (Received): 207

This is how I see an England bid going. London will be the two stadium city of course - though London could just about hold a WC on its own come 2018, what with proposed new stadiums for Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, etc,. on top of existing stadia.

If the England bid is half as good as the excellent London Olympic bid, and with China being a tad on the nose what with all the Tibet protests, etc,. And with, come 2018, England having the best stadium infrastructure in Europe and possibly the world, this kind of presentation should make England a warm favorite.

Wembley (90,000)
New Chelsea stadium (70,000) proposed

Old Trafford.(75,000/95,000)Stanley Park.(75,000) proposed

St James Park(60,000)
City of Birmingham Stadium(55,000) proposed

Stadium of Light(55,000/64,000)
St Marys (45,000)

Pride Park (45,000)
New Nottingham stadium(45,000) proposed

Ricoh Arena (45,000/50,000)
New Bristol Stadium (40,000 - 45,000) proposed

Semi-Final :Stanley Park (75,000)
Semi-Final :Old Trafford (95,000)

Final: Wembley Stadium (90,000)

Last edited by Vanguard; May 19th, 2008 at 05:46 AM.
Vanguard no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #3255
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNE01 View Post
I don't know what you guys are arguing about Australia is going to get the Finals!

And anyone that does not realise the support for the sport down here has obviously never been to a Socceroos game either here or overseas!
First - note where I am.

Second - have a word with yourself. USA, Mexico, China, England, Holland/Belgium, Spain, Australia... Spot the odd one out.

As for the support the sport has... Yeah, okay, the Socceroos sell out their games, but at league level, average attendances of less than 15k across the league are really poor for a country hoping to host a finals (yes, the Yanks aren't a lot better, but their stadium infrastructure and the power of their $ and the massive population may swing things ever-so-slightly in their favour at FIFA). Don't get me wrong, attendances here are fantastic when you take into account where the game was 5 years ago, but we need a lot of growth over the next 3 or 4 years before we can hope to get the finals in 2018.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #3256
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
If the England bid is half as good as the excellent London Olympic bid, and with China being a tad on the nose what with all the Tibet protests, etc,.
It's been interesting (as well as tragic) to see the way the Chinese authorities have handled the earthquake - refusing outside aid, etc. If they don't like outsiders travelling around in large numbers they'd have an awfully big surprised when the English and Dutch fans arrived for 2018.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #3257
AndyGM

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
It's been interesting (as well as tragic) to see the way the Chinese authorities have handled the earthquake - refusing outside aid, etc. If they don't like outsiders travelling around in large numbers they'd have an awfully big surprised when the English and Dutch fans arrived for 2018.

Are you confusing China with Burma? China has accepted quite a lot of outside aid and has allowed (almost) free movement of western journalists in the quake affected regions.

I think most in the international relations community are fairly surprised and delighted about the maturity of the Chinese response. Burma on the other hand...
AndyGM no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #3258
witn88

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno2 View Post
As always, don't expect too much from Belgian stadiums. They suck today and they will suck in 2018. The Dutch should organise the WC themselves if they are smart.

Brugge and Standard de Liege each intend to build a new 40.000 arena, which in my opinion is too small, given the fact that they already play for a 27.000 (sold out) crowd. Typical Belgian mentality, always playing on the safe side, no guts at all.

Anderlecht (same problem) also prefers a new arena (60.000) that will become the homebase for the national team at the same time.

Only Standard has the support of local politicians, their new stadium will be first to be erected.

Artevelde stadium in Gent (20.000) will start in september.

And that's it.

The renewed Heysel stadium is a big disaster, it has absolutely no catering or business facilities at all. Tents are built before each important game (national team or cup final) in front of the main stand. Belgian football anno 2008.

What about Antwerp? They talk about a new stadium for more than 20 years now. Back in 1988 George Kessler came up with a group of German investors to build Euope's first soccer arena with a retractable roof but nobody was interested.

I wouldn't count on Genk or Charleroi either. Their current stadiums (24.000 and 22.000) can last for a while without a problem.
The Cristal Arena of Genk is the 5th stadium when Belgium holds the WC, they will expand their stadium to 45.000. They have an agreement with Courtois.
So the 5 Belgium cities are Bruges (40.000), Liège (40.000), Genk (45.000), Antwerp (40.000) and Brussels (60.000).
Ghent and Charleroi are back-ups.

For Bruges and Liège I need agree with you, I also think that the stadiums should be bigger. Certainly the Bruges Stadium.
I hope that Bruges will expand it for the WC when they see that it is too little. The new stadium should be ready in 2012/2013, so time enough to expand it when necessary. The decision of the new Bruges stadium will be taken in the beginning of next month.
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #3259
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder View Post
The violence from after the UEFA Cup final proved yet again in the UK that fans there simply cannot be trusted.

What is wrong with people over there? Supposedly they are 'adults' and they behave like psychopaths. Why don't they join the armed forces or play contact sports if they want to fight. I guarentee most of those fans one on one would be gutless ******s in fights.

No chance the World Cup should be entrusted to Britain.
Sorry to drag this up again but I've been away this weekend and I can't let this idiotic post pass without comment.

There were 40 arrests and probably about 100 people involved in violence that evening. There were at least 100,000 Rangers fans in the city.

That means 0.001% of fans caused problems (and that's taking the higher estimate of violent fans and the lower estimate of total fans). Hardly endemic of a wide problem amongst travelling British fans is it?

That percentage also goes to show how troll-like comments such as "what's wrong with people over there" are. Think before you post please BobDaBullshitter.
RobH no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #3260
Flogging Molly
BANNED

OK. Although major stadiums will get recognition, The FA has announced that cities will have to bid individually to them if they want to host games during 2018. This will allow the FA and Gov to judge what every city has to offer , its security, infrastructure, public square etc.

This could be good news for Bristol who might have struggled before.

I see the 9 cities to be picked outside London to be ...

Bristol, Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham, Portsmouth, Leeds and Sheffield.

That would mean developments will be needed at Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham, Portsmouth and Sheffield. And as I speak. Every single one of those cities have either 1 or all of thier clubs proposing stadium advances.

I named Portsmouth ahead of Southampton on the fact, that by 2018, Portsmouth port etc will be a buzz of entertainment and with a design of that quality it shoudl showcase games even if it is lower pool matches such as Boliva V Poland.

[img]

Last edited by Flogging Molly; May 19th, 2008 at 01:09 PM.
Flogging Molly no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup