daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:00 PM   #3321
NeilF
Reasons To Be Cheerful

Likes (Received): 3

I think the road behind the south stand at St. James's Park is being made out to be more problematic that it would be in reality. There is a carpark directly behind the road that is easily large enough to accomodate a new road. Theoretically, Newcastle United could easily purchase this carpark and re-route the problematic road by moving it a few metres south. This is work that could be carried out with little, or no, disruption to traffic on the road itself - the rerouted road could be completed before any work on the current road begins.

I'm sure you'll all forgive me for just how crude this five-minute MS Paint job actually is:

Last edited by NeilF; May 23rd, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
NeilF no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM   #3322
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Its more the metro underneath the road I think but Im sure they could easily find a way around it to be honest, living in Newcastle as I do though I think the reason they dont is more a lack of demand to pay for it.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM   #3323
Salif

Likes (Received): 327

I'd imagine extra supports would be needed to ensure the Metro station doesn't collapse from all the work that would be required. Re-siting the entrance is a piece of piss and I would use the building work as an opportunity to extend the tunnel by a short amount so the line can climb up to street level for future tram services.
Salif no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM   #3324
Salif

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder View Post
World Cup bid at risk if fans fail to behave, warns British Minister

Sachin Nakrani The Guardian, Wednesday May 21 2008

This article appeared in the Guardian on Wednesday May 21 2008 on p5 of the Sport news & features section. It was last updated at 00:07 on May 21 2008. The sports minister, Gerry Sutcliffe, last night warned Chelsea and Manchester United supporters who travelled to Moscow for the Champions League final to be on their best behaviour, emphasising that any violence in the Russian capital, coming so soon after the riots that took place during last week's Uefa Cup final in Manchester, could jeopardise England's bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

"The World Cup is a showpiece event and Fifa does not want violence attracted to it in any way," said Sutcliffe, who has also made the trip to Moscow. "Our bid has a long way to go, there is still a World Cup in South Africa and Brazil to take place, but we want to have a successful bid for 2018 and we may not be successful if there are repeats of the violence in Manchester last week."

A Russian fan was stabbed and 42 people were arrested after riot police clashed with Glasgow Rangers supporters who became irate when large-screen televisions in the city centre broke down and failed to show their team's match against Zenit St Petersburg from the City of Manchester Stadium.

More than 42,000 supporters of the Premier League sides have descended on Moscow and they have been met by 6,000 police and military officers who have been deployed to maintain order in the city during the week of the final. Other measures include a ban on public drinking.

"I hope the next couple of nights in Moscow go off without any hitches and the people who have gone there enjoy what should be an opportunity to show off the best of British football," said Sutcliffe. "As a Manchester United fan, I of course hope United win."

Responding to the minister's warning, the Football Association said it did not believe the riots in Manchester will affect the 2018 bid and that it did not want to discuss incidents "that have not yet happened".

"The behaviour of English supporters remains an issue but it has improved beyond recognition in recent years due to the efforts of the supporters themselves, the football authorities, clubs, police and government legislation," a spokesman said. "We hope all supporters who have travelled to Moscow have a great time, back their team and travel home without any problems."

The FA last week announced the creation of its 2018 "company", a panel headed by its chairman Lord Triesman that will spearhead the bid. The role of the government was at that stage unclear and yesterday Sutcliffe said discussions were ongoing to clarify how the two authorities will work together to bring a World Cup to England for the first time in 62 years.

"As a government, we want to provide every effort of support we can to the bid," said Sutcliffe. "I believe we already have the stadiums to host the tournament, what we want to show Fifa now is that this country can establish a legacy which lasts beyond the hosting of a World Cup."
Excellent showing from Manchester United & Chelsea supporters in Moscow, they've surely enhanced our bid
Salif no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:25 AM   #3325
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
I think the road behind the south stand at St. James's Park is being made out to be more problematic that it would be in reality. There is a carpark directly behind the road that is easily large enough to accomodate a new road. Theoretically, Newcastle United could easily purchase this carpark and re-route the problematic road by moving it a few metres south. This is work that could be carried out with little, or no, disruption to traffic on the road itself - the rerouted road could be completed before any work on the current road begins.

I'm sure you'll all forgive me for just how crude this five-minute MS Paint job actually is:

Not crude, very effective... However, Newcastle don't even own the land their stadium is on - so I doubt they'd be able to buy and re-route the road.

IIRC the plans for the commercial complex to be built 'under' the extended stand involve all of that car park being used as well as the area directly behind the Sir John Hall Stand (the Gallowgate End), with a tunnel through the base of the 'complex' allowing the road to go through.

As said before - NUFC are actually playing this pretty clever, they've pretty much put all of the financial exposure and pressure onto the consortium wanting to built the shopping/leisure complex, the seating increase will be a bonus that Newcastle will have minimum investment in.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #3326
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaSpEr5 View Post
Neither of those impressions is possible because of the nearby roads
Haven't NUFC already been given planning permission to expand the south stand to match the two 2-tiered stands around the other goal side???capacity 60,000
ccfc-4-life no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #3327
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfc-4-life View Post
Haven't NUFC already been given planning permission to expand the south stand to match the two 2-tiered stands around the other goal side???capacity 60,000
My guess would be no because, IIRC, such permission can only be granted when the applicant makes an official request. Seeing as newcastle likely doesn't yet have a firm idea of how they're doing this (with or without another partner project involved), I can't imagine they've asked for permission. Granted, I'm basing this on my knowledge from afar and from tracking the Emirates development. Certainly here in the states planning commission approvals won't come about for this type of project until the applicant knows almost exactly what they're going to do, and have the engineering studies (traffic, stormwater, utilitities...) to support the project already done.
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #3328
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

So this news about FIFA awarding the 2018 and 2022 world cups both in 2011, is that actually true? That would change the whole situation I think!

I'm assuming that countries will have to decide on forehand whether they want to bid for the 2018 or 2022 world cup, and that they can't bid for both. This will probably mean that there'll be a bunch of European countries bidding for 2018 (England, Spain, Benelux, Russia?), and that 2022 will be a battle between North America (Mexico, USA) and Asia (China, Australia).

I can't see the 2018 world cup going anywhere else than Europe really, FIFA won't skip Europe 3 times in a row. The contest for the 2022 world cup will be quite interesting, but no matter how much I'd like it to go to Australia, I can't see China not ending up as the 2022 world cup host, unless they totaly screw up the olympics!
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #3329
JohanSA

Likes (Received): 478

Dont want to burst the USA's bubble but they wont be getting a world cup any time soon. Their stadiums are still stuck in a previous era and the power of the world is kinda shifting to the east. USA doesnt mean big revenue since WC 2010 will be the biggest earner ever for Fifa( Fact not my opinion ). Stadia is not about size or numbers but quality and atmosfere. It will be between Spain and England 2018 and probably China Australia 2022. USA might get a chance in 2022 but Fifa wants to grow the game and having one in the USA is a waste ( soccer and rugby is doomed in the US because of US culture nothing else and that wont change in the next 20 years)
JohanSA no está en línea  
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #3330
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5605

Wether or not you like the design of US stadiums is one thing. But so many new stadiums have been built there lately, and they are all top of the bill. And another number of new large stadiums are under construction in the US. Not all of them will be able to host a football match (US: soccer match) because some of them are built for American Football purposes only, hence they do not have enough room for an offcial FIFA dimensioned football pitch. But the stadiums in the US are mostly far from outdated, as I said, many of them are top of the bill.

Take a look at some new stadiums which have a thread in this section of SSC.com. Most of them I like very much. And if you review those posts, you can not really believe that their stadiums are stuck in a previous era. Credit has to be given where credit is due. Here we have to give credit to the many new stadium built in the USA lately!
EPA001 está en línea ahora  
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #3331
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
Wether or not you like the design of US stadiums is one thing. But so many new stadiums have been built there lately, and they are all top of the bill. And another number of new large stadiums are under construction in the US. Not all of them will be able to host a football match (US: soccer match) because some of them are built for American Football purposes only, hence they do not have enough room for an offcial FIFA dimensioned football pitch. But the stadiums in the US are mostly far from outdated, as I said, many of them are top of the bill.

Take a look at some new stadiums which have a thread in this section of SSC.com. Most of them I like very much. And if you review those posts, you can not really believe that their stadiums are stuck in a previous era. Credit has to be given where credit is due. Here we have to give credit to the many new stadium built in the USA lately!
You can tell from the start that JohanSA is not a fan or friend of the US. Why even waste your time on him/her/it? But thanks for spelling out the facts to him/her/it.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #3332
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
You can tell from the start that JohanSA is not a fan or friend of the US. Why even waste your time on him/her/it? But thanks for spelling out the facts to him/her/it.
Agreed, but since I've time to waste...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanSA View Post
Dont want to burst the USA's bubble but they wont be getting a world cup any time soon. Their stadiums are still stuck in a previous era...
Considering the volume of stadiums around the globe with inadequate facilities I can only assume you're referring to the absence of a roof, a la UEFA preferences. Otherwise, as I'll demonstrate later, most of the facilities the US would use have been built/renovated since the US last hosted in 1994.
Quote:
...and the power of the world is kinda shifting to the east.
By this logic the WC should never leave Europe or the Far East. Fascinating.
Quote:
USA doesnt mean big revenue since WC 2010 will be the biggest earner ever for Fifa( Fact not my opinion ).
Hard to call a future condition a fact, but even if this proves to be true it will only be because of the regular increase in TV/web revenue and higher ticket costs. Which would mean each World Cup will produce more than the last, even a 2018 WC in the US.

Quote:
Stadia is not about size or numbers but quality and atmosfere.
I agree to some extent, yet FIFA keeps awarding games to stadia with running tracks around the soccer field.

Oh, BTW, that wouldn't happen in the US.

Quote:
USA might get a chance in 2022 but Fifa wants to grow the game and having one in the USA is a waste ( soccer and rugby is doomed in the US because of US culture nothing else and that wont change in the next 20 years)
Your parenthetical statement saves you from contradicting yourself, but only by revealing your ignorance about the game's progress in the States. The US hosted in '94 without having a top flight league in place. By 2011 MLS will feature 16 teams, 11 of which (and possibly 14) will be playing in their own soccer-specific facility. The league has a financial prospectus stronger than anything soccer could've envisioned before the 1990's, which is part of what enabled the fledgling league to guarantee Beckham $55M. No, soccer will never surpass the other major pro sports in popularity in the US, but to suggest it's "doomed" displays a true lack of knowledge and respect.

Further, having the games in places like the US, Japan and South Africa is exactly what FIFA needs and wants to do to, as you put it, grow the game. Having the game in places where it already is the national passion barely provides any impetus for the game to grow elsewhere. By bringing its stars and the passionate fans to places where the game isn't #1 on everyone's radar, it brings more attention and focus to the global brands and the respective domestic leagues. Much of the success the US has experienced since '94 is directly attributable to the success of the event, the best attended in FIFA history, IIRC.

All of this is to say nothing of the money and media exposure the US can provide. True, it's no longer alone in the world as a bastion of media and money, but it's still among the strongest on both counts. This isn't Costa Rica we're talking about here.

Further, the most likely facilites for hosting will come from the pool of the following, all of which will seat 50k or more, most upward of 65k:

Brand new since 1994
Qwest Field - Seattle
Stanford Stadium - San Francisco
Meadowlands - New York (Jersey)
Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia
Gilette Stadium - Boston
New Texas Stadium - Dallas
University of Phoenix Stadium - Phoenix
Browns Stadium - Cleveland
Ford Field - Detroit
M&T Bank Stadium - Baltimore
Raymond James Stadium - Tampa
Reliant Stadium - Houston

Complete Renovattion in progress/ completed since 1994
Soldier Field - Chicago
Dolphin Stadium - Miami
Citrus Bowl - Orlando

Add to this the proposed new digs or renovations hoped for with Candlestick Park, Qualcom Stadium and FedEx Field and it's quite possible the chosen stadiums would have a capacity surpassing that for 1994, with no facility being under 65k. So if SA can bring in big revenue with 3 facilities being under 50k, I think it's safe to say the US has a chance to surpass that.

I'm not delusional in thinking a US bid will beat England or Spain, nor do I expect soccer to ever overtake other major sports in the US. But there's plenty of room for the sport to grow much bigger despite all this, and hosting another World Cup would greatly assist that. At the very least, it would help Blatter in his quest to dilute the power of UEFA by offering another legitimate host nation to consider!

I hope England gets it in 2018, but that the US gets it by 2030.

Last edited by GunnerJacket; May 25th, 2008 at 05:30 PM.
GunnerJacket no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #3333
NeilF
Reasons To Be Cheerful

Likes (Received): 3

Very much agree, Gunner.

Ultimately, while people can talk about stadia quality, sightlines etc., the main issue really is about getting bums on seats. The more bums on seats, the more money coming in and the more fans that then have a chance to see the game. In this respect, the stadia that the USA can provide cannot be surpassed by any other nation on earth. In that respect, alone, the USA can provide a solid bid, and that's without considering the kind of corporate and media facilities many USA stadia have.

That said, the likelihood of a USA bid for 2018 is fairly remote but for 2022 or 2026 it becomes a real possibility. Warner has offered his support to England's bid for 2018 and no doubt can rely on some reciprocity from England and potentially UEFA. Whether or not FIFA would want two out of three World Cup tournaments in the Americas could provide a fairly robust argument for a 2026 tournament in the USA. 32 years between tournaments in the USA seems reasonably fair.

There is little realistic debate against the potential the USA has to put on a World Cup. Most opposition seems to be based on the fact that some people just don't like the USA.
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #3334
rover3
BANNED

Plus, prejudiced doofuses like JohanUSA seem to forget that the US would be the nexus of a 520 million+ market for the next WC (equal to the numbers of Western Europe);

USA - 300 mil
Mexico - 90
Canada - 30
Caribbean - 50-60 mil
Central America - another 45 mil

It would be hard for FIFA to ignore a market as large as that.

Yeah, WC 2010 may OFFER a higher total number of available seats than WC 1994, but:

1. it remains to be seen whether they can fill/sell all those seats; and

2. THERE WERE ONLY 24 teams playing in 1994 vs. 32 for 2010!!!

Last edited by rover3; May 26th, 2008 at 12:01 AM.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #3335
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 215

I could bet that england won't get it
Old May 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #3336
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5605

I have no doubt that a WC in the USA would again be a huge success, both commercially and on the numbers of spectator side. Yes, football (US: soccer) is not the biggest sport over there. But in 1994 the sport was much smaller then it is now. Still, all the stadiums were just about sold out and the US 1994 WC still holds the highest average attendance per match of every organised WC.

Now, in 2008 football is bigger than ever before in the USA, so another WC would no doubt smash all previous records! Do not underestimate the economic power of the US. The economic situation is now in a correction, but they will recover from this situation. Nobody should be blind or ignorant about the tempting advantages staging the WC in the USA would bring. I am sure FIFA for one is not. But, new markets (in Asia) are also emerging which are commercially very, very interesting fo FIFA.

So in the end I am pretty sure that the WC-2018 will go to Europe, but I am sure that the USA will stage another WC again. If this will be 2022 or 2026 I don't know, but it will happen and I will be happy about it when it is rewarded to them.

The chances for Australia (what a wonderfull sports minded country that is as well) are not the biggest in my humble opinion. Negative points I see are: the distance, it is very far away from most of the competing nations. Therefore for television broadcasting it is not always possible to have the games on worldwide interesting times. And their home market is sadly enough not very big. I have no doubt that Australia could organise a very good WC tournament. I would like to see them getting it also, but I just don't think they will get the chance to do it in the near future. Maybe 2030?
EPA001 está en línea ahora  
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #3337
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
The World Game can EXCLUSIVELY reveal that FIFA’s top brass, only in the past few days, has decided to align awarding the hosting rights to both the 2018 and 2022 World Cups on the same date – a decision due in June 2011.
Honestly I think this is a stupid idea.

They should announce the 2018 host in 2011 and the 2022 host in 2015.

A LOT of things can change in four years.

Although I think announcing both hosts in 2011 gives the USA a far better chance for 2022 as opposed to China/Australia.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #3338
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Honestly I think this is a stupid idea.

They should announce the 2018 host in 2011 and the 2022 host in 2015.

A LOT of things can change in four years.

Although I think announcing both hosts in 2011 gives the USA a far better chance for 2022 as opposed to China/Australia.
To my mind, announcing the 2018/2022 would be decided at the same time is another deliberate ploy to ensure that Europe gets a 'free run' at 2018. The odds were always going to be stacked on them getting it, which means the others were always going to be thinking 2022 was the real target... Thus, by saying both will be decided at the same time, we offer a 'dare' to the Americas and Asia, go up against Europe and each other for 2018, or against each other for 2022. Make your deals now ladies and gentlemen - agree to back the nation of your choice for 2018 with the offer of reciprocation for 2022...

UNLESS, the idea is that all the bids will be voted on for 2018/22 simultaneously, THEN the top two will be awarded the finals - with FIFA to decide who goes for 2018 and who gets 2022.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #3339
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
Very much agree, Gunner.

Ultimately, while people can talk about stadia quality, sightlines etc., the main issue really is about getting bums on seats. The more bums on seats, the more money coming in and the more fans that then have a chance to see the game. In this respect, the stadia that the USA can provide cannot be surpassed by any other nation on earth. In that respect, alone, the USA can provide a solid bid, and that's without considering the kind of corporate and media facilities many USA stadia have.
Yes and no. FIFA's revenues are the big issue. Ticket sales are important BUT with the US its the big revenues combined with ticket sales that makes it a formiddable bid. Of course ticket sales will always be an issue but eg. RSA 2010 FIFA has already secured revenues 30% up on Germany 2006 with 2 years to go. If ticket sales arent that great FIFA still come away with record revenues and enough money to keep going for a while.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #3340
archy Momen

Likes (Received): 0

nice nice
archy Momen no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup