daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #3401
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Hammam has faith in Asia

sydney • Asia has a genuine chance of beating any European bid to host the 2018 World Cup, Asian football chief Mohammed bin Hammam has said.

Australia and China plan to submit bids and Qatar may also join the race but they face a tough challenge from European countries including Russia, England, Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium.

According to British media yesterday, the US was also considering a bid to stage the tournament.

With the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and the 2014 edition in Brazil, Europe is looming as the early favourite to host the tournament in 2018.

But president of the Asian Football Confederation Hammam said he believed Asia, which hosted the World Cup in 2002 — in Japan and South Korea — for the only time, had equal claims.

“Of course Asia has a great chance,” he said in an interview yesterday. “Nothing is automatic, there’s no rotation system anymore. It could go anywhere,” he said.

“I think we need to bring the World Cup to Asia in 2018.”

Hammam said Asia’s best chance of winning the event was if the whole region joined forces to support a single bid but he would still encourage multiple bidders.

“I would like as many countries as possible to submit bids,” he said. “Then they can let the Asian countries decide for themselves if they’re going to be behind one bid.”

The decision on who will host the 2018 World Cup will be announced in 2011 but FIFA is also considering choosing the 2022 host at the same time so they can sell the rights to both events as a package.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #3402
*England*
Who Dares Wins

Likes (Received): 0

wasn't it mexico that had a stadium start collapsing while it was full a year or so ago
*England* no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #3403
elgoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by *England* View Post
wasn't it mexico that had a stadium start collapsing while it was full a year or so ago
no it wasnt, i belive it was in Jamaica or in South Africa but not over here
elgoyo no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #3404
elgoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
One problem with the Mexico bid is that there can only be one city with two stadiums, that would be Mexico City.

So Guadalajara and Monterrey can only have one stadium each.

They would need 6 more stadiums above 40k (or is it more) in 6 different cities. So far they have two (Que, CiJua)
Well heres another one I forgot in to put on the list

Estadio Cuahutemoc
Capacity: 42,649

Estadio Morelos
Capacity: 38,384

We surelly could get another one if you expand one of the many 30Ks we have

Quote:
And quite honestly, the mexican league doesn't really need 40k stadiums outside the big three cities.
Offcourse it does, football has a great demand in Mexico. We are a country of 100 million people and all the people are crazy about football.

Why do you think that you dont see too many mexican footballers in european leagues??
the thing is that the mexican football market is over valued, I mean, footballers get paid very well in our country so they dont have the need to go to Europe. Our teams are full of mexican players and many south american players, some of wich use our league as a trampoline to europe. We have a very good league, only that it isn't very heard about because it is very local

Last edited by elgoyo; May 29th, 2008 at 09:32 PM.
elgoyo no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #3405
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgoyo View Post
no it wasnt, i belive it was in Jamaica or in South Africa but not over here
south africa?? uhm no.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #3406
*England*
Who Dares Wins

i wasn't jam or sa, im sure it was mexico, might of been brazil
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #3407
*England*
Who Dares Wins

i should know, i posted about it, but it was awhile ago now during wembley construction
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:22 AM   #3408
*England*
Who Dares Wins

it was brazil but it didn't do their bid any harm
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:15 AM   #3409
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
Yeah, it should go to a country which has never organised a WC...!
Albania.

Fiji.

Kiribati.

Also, this thing about so-and-so city can be a qualified venue because they have the minimum-seating stadium. That's NOT the only consideration. Do they have, I believe, like minimum 5,000 hotel rooms of maybe 3-star or 4-star quality. Does it have a safe, conveinient airport? Good telecommunications infrastructure? They are other factors in selecting a city.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:06 PM   #3410
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgoyo View Post
Offcourse it does, football has a great demand in Mexico. We are a country of 100 million people and all the people are crazy about football.

Why do you think that you dont see too many mexican footballers in european leagues??
the thing is that the mexican football market is over valued, I mean, footballers get paid very well in our country so they dont have the need to go to Europe. Our teams are full of mexican players and many south american players, some of wich use our league as a trampoline to europe. We have a very good league, only that it isn't very heard about because it is very local
Soy mexicano tambien y me gustaria ver que la copa de mundo venga a Mexico pero la realidad esque los estados unidos facilmente le ganaria el "bid."

Pero si le quieres seguir, creo que este sera el "bid."

Azteca, Mexico City 114,000 (remodalicion)
Olimpico, Mexico City 72,000 (remodalicion)
Estadio Chivas, Guadalajara 54,500
Corregidora, Queretaro 50,000
Universitario, Monterrey 45,000 (remodalicion)
Cuathemoc, Puebla 43,000 (remodalicion)
Morelos, Morelia 41,500 (remodalicion)
Area Indios, Ciudad Juarez 40,000
Caliente, Tijuana 33,000 (expansion needed)
Hidalgo, Pachuca 33,00 (expansion, remodeling)
Santos, Torreon 25,000 (expansion)
Victoria, Aguascalientes 24,000 (expansion)

An extra 7k for Caliente shouldn't be to hard, despite Tijuana not having a first division team. Hidalgo needs 7k more so that's no problem. With the way Santos is doing right now, a 40k stadium won't be out of place. 15k more for Victoria though seems a bit too much for Necaxa.

But like I said...an US bid would crush a Mexican one...all the stadiums are virtually brand new and the smallest one would be 60k...
hngcm no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:31 PM   #3411
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

It would, but still I think the Mexican stadiums are from quite a high quality and I like them. A lot of them are real footballstadiums/arenas.
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:33 PM   #3412
larsul
Proximamente CASAHUS.COM

Likes (Received): 90

I believe if we are talking about the world cup for 2018 i dont see any chance for my country to host it since we had it twice and for example Holland/Belgium, Russia or China never had it.
Plus the bid of England is quite serious and very overwhelming.
So i think Mexico should go for the 2022 or 2026..
greetings to everybody..
SnapChat: larsul60
Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/larsul60
larsul no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:23 PM   #3413
*England*
Who Dares Wins

mexico shot themselves in the foot when no one bid against brazil, thats why fifa keep changing everything, i can't see it going to mexico til atleast 40s and onwards now
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:43 PM   #3414
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 22

It was CONMEBOL's turn to host 2014 WC so Mexico couldn't place a bid then because it belongs to CONCACAF

Last edited by Carrerra; June 1st, 2008 at 01:54 PM.
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:46 PM   #3415
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Energy Australia Stadium expansion to 40K

Knights Thank State Government,
From the Energy Australia Stadium website.
Great news fro Newcastle.

Tuesday, 27 May 2008 - Newcastle Knights

The Newcastle Knights have expressed their appreciation to the New South Wales State Government for today’s EnergyAustralia Stadium redevelopment and upgrade announcement.

Knights CEO, Steve Burraston was joined by Captain, Danny Buderus and Kangaroos Utility, Kurt Gidley for Premier Morris Iemma’s announcement of a further $20-million to transform Newcastle’s greatest public asset into a World Class venue over the next three years.

“The Premier, Treasurer and the New South Wales Government have had tremendous foresight and support for the needs of such a growing region like Newcastle and the Hunter Valley,” Mr Burraston said.

“This will put Newcastle on the map as a world class sporting and entertainment venue”.

A three-stage development will see a state of the art grandstand replace the existing Western Grandstand, raising the ground capacity to 33,000 and up to 40,000 with temporary seating on each hill.

The latest in modern facilities will include change rooms, medical rooms; media work stations and broadcast boxes, function rooms and Corporate Hospitality.

“Today’s announcement has delivered an important asset which will assist in our Community’s growth and development,” said Mr Burraston.

“We can not only attract world class sports and other entertainment that will be great for the community but also the local economy.”

“In a time when Rugby League clubs are struggling to survive the new stadium will give us an opportunity to sell better seating and Corporate Facilities to a larger audience and assist with our longevity,” he said.

Mr Burraston added a World Class facility will also assist with the Newcastle Knights wider Community goals and programmes by allowing young sportspeople to realise their dreams from Newcastle.

“This is a great thing for the community in a time when we have major problems with childhood obesity.”

“The more children we get into sport the better and having a facility of this standard will attract international, high quality elite games to the stadium across a number of codes such as Rugby League, Rugby Union, and Soccer.

“This will have an enormous impact on the Community as a whole, particularly children.

“This puts us in the same league as the likes of the Broncos who have Suncorp Stadium or the Titans who have Skilled Stadium and its important we are able to keep major sporting events in New South Wales and in particular our region.”

Newcastle Knights Captain Danny Buderus and star fullback, Kurt Gidley also welcomed today’s announcement.

“It’s not just great for the sporting side of things – the events that this stadium can hold will make for a spectacular site when its finished so today’s announcement is big news for our city and a sign of the direction Newcastle is heading in the future,” Buderus said.

“From when I first started watching football at the stadium as a kid it’s changed a lot but it’s going to be great to still be a part of it after re-signing and the thought of running into a new stadium,” said Gidley.

“I speak for all players past and present in saying we appreciate everything the Premier and the New South Wales Government have done for the Knights and the City of Newcastle.

Stage 1 construction is already underway with work on stages 2 and 3 to continue through until the end of 2010.

Joop20 no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM   #3416
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Looks good, nice to have another 40k stadium in the country... Now all they need is 5000 3* and above hotel rooms in and around Newcastle.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM   #3417
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Looks good, nice to have another 40k stadium in the country... Now all they need is 5000 3* and above hotel rooms in and around Newcastle.
Not an issue.....Any accommodation shortage in Newcastle can be covered by the Central Coast...Hunter/Central Coast Region has nearly 1,000,000 population .
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM   #3418
kazetuner
Perito Mercantil XD

Likes (Received): 38

i just dont want australia to get the wc beacause i dont want to stay awake until 3 am to see a match
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM   #3419
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Didn't they open it up for all of the Americas?

Anyways, isn't Cruz Azul getting a new stadium?
hngcm no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM   #3420
elgoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Didn't they open it up for all of the Americas?

Anyways, isn't Cruz Azul getting a new stadium?
yeah but there hasnt been any news or renders yet
elgoyo no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup