daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #3621
Big Texan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 516
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLerm View Post
WTF i can't see the USA hosting another WC, too early to get another,...
Its been 14 years this year! 24 by 2018, how is that to early!? Pleas, please tell me what your smoking so i can get some. Mexico host games 16 years apart in 70 and 86, didn't seem to soon back then. And i think the World Cup comity would have no problem giving back to the USA after they are reminded about how successful and profitable it was in 94.
Big Texan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #3622
kamilo
MUSE
 
kamilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bogota - Tallahassee
Posts: 458
Likes (Received): 45

24 years is early by world cup standards, just check when was the the last time England hosted a world cup and they were the ones who popularized the sport.
__________________
The market is the people
The people are the market
kamilo no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #3623
Big Texan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 516
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilo View Post
24 years is early by world cup standards, just check when was the the last time England hosted a world cup and they were the ones who popularized the sport.
ooo, listen to me, im playing the worlds smallest violin because i feel sad for England, sorry your country is in a cluttered Continent with so many nations competing every 8 years for a World Cup and the USA is so big and would like to host another one when our last one was one of the most successful ever...damn, i broke the violin.
Big Texan no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #3624
theespecialone
Top
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 309
Likes (Received): 0

doesn't really matter though. usa will not get the world cup in 2022. 2026 maybe
theespecialone no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #3625
rover3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 562
Likes (Received): 2

hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theespecialone View Post
doesn't really matter though. usa will not get the world cup in 2022. 2026 maybe
Uh-huh. Right. And how will the stock market react tomorrow?
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #3626
Big Texan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 516
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theespecialone View Post
doesn't really matter though. usa will not get the world cup in 2022. 2026 maybe
who will be our next President Psychic man
Obama or McCain?
Big Texan no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #3627
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,760
Likes (Received): 10293

Mexico was a stand in. It is only in unusual circumstances that a country would get a world cup so frequently. I understand the USA hosting the Olympics every 20 years or so, but I'm not sure a middling football nation like the USA should have the same gap between WC hostings. That's just my opinion and it of course has no impact on the likelyhood of the USA winning a bid unless a significant portion of the 24 FIFA delegates share it.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #3628
Wezza
©
 
Wezza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Townsville
Posts: 8,861
Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Mexico was a stand in. It is only in unusual circumstances that a country would get a world cup so frequently. I understand the USA hosting the Olympics every 20 years or so, but I'm not sure a middling football nation like the USA should have the same gap between WC hostings. That's just my opinion and it of course has no impact on the likelyhood of the USA winning a bid unless a significant portion of the 24 FIFA delegates share it.
I agree, USA should not get the WC for quite a while yet. No offence to the yanks, i just think there are other countries that should be considered ahead of them. Maybe sometime in the 2030's would be a more appropriate time.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #3629
sativ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Guangzhou
Posts: 56
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Re: Running tracks

I don't think anyone is going to slight the issues of necessity and cost savings in this debate, but we should also recall the standard that FIFA and the countries are aspiring to. All parties agree that general athletic stadiums can be perfectly acceptable, but under ideal circumstances a match is played in a pure football stadium without an athletics track around the field. The most telling aspect of this is not the comfort angle but the money side. Teams playing in general athletic facilities are less likely to be in control of the venue and, more importantly, the revenues. FIFA, UEFA and everyone else associated with professional and national football would by far prefer that everyone had their own football specific facilities so that they could have ownership of their schedules and resources, rather than be dependent (and look subservient to) municipal athletic interests.

Bottom line - Stadiums with tracks are acceptable when there is not a more pure, comparably-sized football facility available. As such...

Yes, lets.

2009 Roma - No large, modern football stadium in the city

2008 Moscow - No large, modern football stadium in the city

2007 Athens - No large, modern football stadium in the city

2005 Istanbul - No large, modern football stadium in the city

2002 Glasgow - Hampden seats more than Ibrox, while Celtic Park is not considered as modern (sub-par suites, seats with obstructed views, etc.)

If UEFA restricted the event to cities with large, modern football only facilities the list of eligible candidates would be remarkably small, especially in terms of countries. The same amount of forgiveness should apply to the World Cup, but the ideal should be to avoid general athletic facilities when possible.

Historically general athletics venues were the largest in the country, but that's changing rapidly. So just as you indicate China should be considered under the notion that things in the future won't be the same as today, that same adage applies to other countries and cities as well. Istanbul will have worthy football grounds in the future instead of needing to use Ataturk. Rome and Moscow may also see new worthy football grounds in the near future. Bottom line, there's an abundance of new football-specific facilities recently completed or inprogress that over time I suspect the number of general athletic facilities hosting the event will decrease. Look at the venues now vying to host in the future: Bernabeau, Wembley, Allianz, Valencia, Da Luz...


Re: China in general

Women world cup 1991
Tales abound about the sub-par conditions the players were subjected to. Granted, much of this is also attributed to the low level of interest the event held around the globe, but it also indicated a low level of respect from the host nation. At the least, this isn't something to be glorified from the host's perspective.

Asian cup 2004/Asian games 2010
Regional event with less competition

Women world cup 2007
Loss due to health scare complicated by issues with medical infrastructure

Olympic 2008
Compared to World Cup, a compact event localized in a singular area with fewer tourists for a smaller period of time. It's much more difficult to control World Cup crowds versus Olympic Games crowds.

I'm not trying to debunk a Chinese bid and would love nothing more than to see their Olympics be a success. I simply think the concept of their bid being a "sure thing" is anything but sure, regardless of political issues.

I believe that, now do not have a country to host the World Cup, will be widely used in the construction of the stadium 10 years ago. China has sufficient capacity for the World Cup to build a new stadium. I have given so many sports venues, only to show that China has sufficient The ability to build the World Cup Stadium.

You can pay attention to China's construction of the stadium:

Beijing Olympic Stadium 2008
Shenyang Sports Center 2007
Nanjing Olympic Sports Center 2005
Tianjin Olympic Sports Center 2007
Hefei stadium 2006
Hohhot stadium 2007
Temporarily to statistics, China spent four years on the construction of six 60,000 + stadium. In 2022 before the construction of 10 no runway 60,000 + stadium is absolutely no problem.

I will cite China hosted the competition, only to show that Chinese people wanted to have a successful bid to host the competition, only the World Cup. China to host competition ability, experience need not suspected.

Also need to point out that, China can have all the competition on the population of over 5 million held in big cities, it is not possible in other countries. Therefore, China can be a host city for the fans think that the provision of adequate hotels, restaurants, transport, the police.
sativ no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #3630
sativ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Guangzhou
Posts: 56
Likes (Received): 1

These stadium can also upgrade to meet World Cup standards.

Tianjin TEDA stadium 36000

Shanghai Hongkou stadium 35000

Chengdu Longquanyi stadium 30000

Shanghai Jinshan stadium 30000

Hongkong stadium 40000

Shenyang Greenisland stadium 30000
sativ no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #3631
SkyLerm
Architranceture Feelings
 
SkyLerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anywhere in southern Madrid
Posts: 1,866
Likes (Received): 28

That's what i pretended to say, USA is NOTHING when it comes to football... too early 24 years...
__________________
The Rebirth Of Time

Cuchiville
SkyLerm no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #3632
melbstud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 667
Likes (Received): 7

What a load of shit that Australia doesnt have the infastructure, let me remind people that they hosted the best Olympics and Commonwealth Games EVER quote, by both IOC and ICC presidents. Australia has awesoem potential and it isnt anyfurther than Aregntina or anyother place for that matter. They have an awesome A league and I think yawn to USA and China. I think its time that Australia have it, Football isnt only loved in Europe and South America, lets not forget many Australians are migrants and come from football loving countries. If South Africa can host it then Australia has no prob what so ever people.
melbstud no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #3633
sativ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Guangzhou
Posts: 56
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbstud View Post
What a load of shit that Australia doesnt have the infastructure, let me remind people that they hosted the best Olympics and Commonwealth Games EVER quote, by both IOC and ICC presidents. Australia has awesoem potential and it isnt anyfurther than Aregntina or anyother place for that matter. They have an awesome A league and I think yawn to USA and China. I think its time that Australia have it, Football isnt only loved in Europe and South America, lets not forget many Australians are migrants and come from football loving countries. If South Africa can host it then Australia has no prob what so ever people.
South Africa to host, just to take care of Africa. South African bid to host the continent, there is no other opponent. Australia can not have such a good condition. Moreover, Australia's population of less than 20 million, so in a World Cup host country, is clearly too little.
Those less than 10 million people in the town, they need a stadium of 40,000 + ?If the Dutch as the European Cup as a 200,000 fans to watching, a small town in Australia the availability of hotels, restaurants, transport, police?
sativ no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #3634
rover3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 562
Likes (Received): 2

xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLerm View Post
That's what i pretended to say, USA is NOTHING when it comes to football... too early 24 years...
welll, you're entitled to your opinion -- and I know you're wrong.

Oh, and China? Yeah, right -- when they can put in proper toilets where women can comfortably sit. My cousin just came back from China and she said that had she known that outside the Triple A hotels, the public facilities are still the 'squat' kind, she would not have gone. You will be hearing a lot of those from the IOC and sponsors' womenfolk after this August.

So the USA is a 'middling' soccer country -- well, what about South Africa? Why are they hosting 2010?

2022 will go to the US. That's why FIFA is awarding 2018-2022 in tandem -- 2018 for the UK; and lock in 2022 for the US. But some of you are so blindsided, you wouldn't know if a soccer ball hit you in the face.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #3635
Carrerra
Registered User
 
Carrerra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pohang
Posts: 1,452
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
welll, you're entitled to your opinion -- and I know you're wrong.

Oh, and China? Yeah, right -- when they can put in proper toilets where women can comfortably sit. My cousin just came back from China and she said that had she known that outside the Triple A hotels, the public facilities are still the 'squat' kind, she would not have gone. You will be hearing a lot of those from the IOC and sponsors' womenfolk after this August.

So the USA is a 'middling' soccer country -- well, what about South Africa? Why are they hosting 2010?

2022 will go to the US. That's why FIFA is awarding 2018-2022 in tandem -- 2018 for the UK; and lock in 2022 for the US. But some of you are so blindsided, you wouldn't know if a soccer ball hit you in the face.
rover3, you don't have a voting right in FIFA either
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #3636
rover3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 562
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
rover3, you don't have a voting right in FIFA either
No, I don't but I have been observing the Olympic and FIFA bidding and awarding processes since around 1965 -- longer than even before some of you were dust on this earth -- so I have a fairly good grasp of what goes on.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #3637
Carrerra
Registered User
 
Carrerra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pohang
Posts: 1,452
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLerm View Post
That's what i pretended to say, USA is NOTHING when it comes to football... too early 24 years...
USA is NOTHING when it comes to everything... except one thing, to call other nations an axis of evil and invade them.
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #3638
rover3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 562
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
USA is NOTHING when it comes to everything... except one thing, to call other nations an axis of evil and invade them.
Uhmmm, yeah and like Kim Jung Il didn't invade your South Korea -- for which you would BE NOTHING today if the US and UN forces did not come and save your sorry *ss, mong.

Someone's very jealous....

As someone in GLADIATOR said: A people should know when they are conquered!!

I also just reported your previous post.

Last edited by rover3; June 24th, 2008 at 07:15 PM.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #3639
kamilo
MUSE
 
kamilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bogota - Tallahassee
Posts: 458
Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
No, I don't but I have been observing the Olympic and FIFA bidding and awarding processes since around 1965 -- longer than even before some of you were dust on this earth -- so I have a fairly good grasp of what goes on.
i just hope your still around these forums by 2011, so i can see you crying and bitching after FIFA assigns the next two world cups to England and China. If that happens you won't last long enough to see the world cup come back to the USA again since your so old.
__________________
The market is the people
The people are the market
kamilo no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #3640
rover3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 562
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilo View Post
i just hope your still around these forums by 2011, so i can see you crying and bitching after FIFA assigns the next two world cups to England and China. If that happens you won't last long enough to see the world cup come back to the USA again since your so old.

Oh please try again, it wasn't funny enough.

Colombia? Couldn't even get it up the one chance you were given.
rover3 no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu