daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #3641
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 22

rover3/When it comes to football, you have all enemies around you. Where are your friends? I hope you to realize that what you see here is what people in the world feel when they see USA try to host WC.
Carrerra no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #3642
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
rover3/When it comes to football, you have all enemies around you. Where are your friends? I hope you to realize that what you see here is what people in the world feel when they see USA try to host WC.
So what? You think that'll intimidate us? We have the anti-venom to survive a nest of vipers.

Yeah, and the vipers will start biting and each other up.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #3643
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
What about black mamba which is considered to be the most venomous in the world? Do you think you will survive their nest?
So who is the black mamba in this group? You? Theordinaryone?

P.S. There is an antidote for a black mamba bite.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #3644
miguelon

Likes (Received): 304

2018 is a must for England, they can have have the world cup 2 months from now, they have the stadiums, the time zone (very important for tv), the fans, history, the $$, airports, hotels, etc....

others that deserve a world cup in 2022 may be spain or italy, but i dont see fifa giving back to back european world cups. business-wise would be ideal to have a chinesse or american bid.
miguelon no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #3645
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
So the USA is a 'middling' soccer country -- well, what about South Africa? Why are they hosting 2010?
But SA has never hosted before. My point wasn't that middling football nations shouldn't host it at all, but that they shouldn't expect to host it relativley frequently imho; something the USA would be doing if they won 2018 or 2022. I thought that was fairly clear from my post.

Last edited by RobH; June 24th, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #3646
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLerm View Post
That's what i pretended to say, USA is NOTHING when it comes to football... too early 24 years...
While I agree there are other nations that could be considered more deserving for sentimental reasons, the bid process will bear our whether or not that matters to FIFA. However, to say the US is nothing to football is beyond opinion and blatantly incorrect. It's a fact the nation has hosted 1 men's and 2 women's world cups, all with great success, and since then football has only grown as a professional league and as a commodity to average fans. Witness the mostly sold-out exhibition games played by the likes of ManU, Celtic, Barca, etc.

Are there nations with a deeper and richer football heritage than the US? Definitely. Is the US "nothing" when it comes to football? Definitely not.

Quote:
USA is NOTHING when it comes to everything... except one thing, to call other nations an axis of evil and invade them.
It amazes me how many people automatically equate singular political idioms to the group-thinking of an entire nation of 300M people. But for what it's worth, even the feeble UN has cited the governments of those nations as among the worst violators of human rights and worthy of scrutiny. I'm not advocating war, but it's not as if the US was throwing jabs at Denmark.

Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
welll, you're entitled to your opinion -- and I know you're wrong.

2022 will go to the US. That's why FIFA is awarding 2018-2022 in tandem -- 2018 for the UK; and lock in 2022 for the US. But some of you are so blindsided, you wouldn't know if a soccer ball hit you in the face.
So one's opinion is wrong, yet you're certain about the US bid? Any suggestions for my lottery picks then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sativ View Post
Moreover, Australia's population of less than 20 million, so in a World Cup host country, is clearly too little.Those less than 10 million people in the town, they need a stadium of 40,000 + ?
I fail to see the connection here. Surely there's no formal requirement that a host nation have a population of X people, so if the hosts show that they can cater to the volume of tourists expected than that's all that matters. Just as you've tried to illustrate with regards to China.

Quote:
These stadium can also upgrade to meet World Cup standards.
IMO, those are MUCH better options than the athletics stadiums shown before. I'd rather see a bid centered around those stadiums.

Quote:
I believe that, now do not have a country to host the World Cup, will be widely used in the construction of the stadium 10 years ago. China has sufficient capacity for the World Cup to build a new stadium. I have given so many sports venues, only to show that China has sufficient The ability to build the World Cup Stadium.

Temporarily to statistics, China spent four years on the construction of six 60,000 + stadium. In 2022 before the construction of 10 no runway 60,000 + stadium is absolutely no problem.
Assuming English isn't your first language, I give you credit for your efforts to contribute to the conversation. As for your assumptions, these are not special. By that I mean there's a long list of countries that could also build the number of required new stadiums if that's where they choose to invest the money. Most are wise enough to understand, however, that sometimes the costs of sporting facilities doesn't always yield a good financial or social return. And from what I know of China's other social and infrastructure woes, more brand new stadiums should be near the bottom of their priorities. (Granted, this is true for many countries, but I digress.)

The bottom line is that all things being equal a Chinese bid will not have anything so grand or unique (ie: they won't be a lock) when compared to other nations UNLESS they spend outrageous amounts of money. The kind of money that makes the rest of the world suspicious that the government is merely trying to distract the world from social problems elsewhere. I'm not saying they can't make a nice bid, I just don't think it's more perfect compared to other options.
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #3647
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Quick check reveals 294 different users have posted in this thread. Even assuming all of them except me and rover are not from the US, I think it's safe to say that 292 opinions on an architectural message board doesn't equate to a consensus of US football.

Quote:
What about black mamba which is considered to be the most venomous in the world? Do you think you will survive their nest?
I think the appropriate joke would be that the US would run over the mamba in our SUV.

This is all light-hearted fun, right?
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #3648
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Quick check reveals 294 different users have posted in this thread. Even assuming all of them except me and rover are not from the US, I think it's safe to say that 292 opinions on an architectural message board doesn't equate to a consensus of US football.

I think the appropriate joke would be that the US would run over the mamba in our SUV.

This is all light-hearted fun, right?
To zoololgists, my joke would be appropriate enough because Black Mambas are hundreds of times more venomous than ordinary vipers
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3649
Big Texan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

I just try to avoid venomous snakes all together.

So The USA cant host a game because all the European countries have not gotten it on the European rotations of the Bids, but you know, when it comes time for the Americas to bid, there arnt that many countries to bid against the USA. So if Fifa decides in 2022 to give it to the USA, then get over it! because i dont have a a vote, but nether do any of you!
Big Texan no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #3650
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
USA is NOTHING when it comes to everything... except one thing, to call other nations an axis of evil and invade them.
What on Earth is your problem against Americans!!! And what has this got to do with Stadiums and architecture? Absolutly nothing! You have done this many times before with your anti-american and xenophobic attitude. If you have a problem with Americans might I suggest you find another forum to post your views or go protest outside the US Embassy in Seoul.

I too shall now report this message you have posted.

Please can we all try to stick to the subject.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #3651
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbstud View Post
What a load of shit that Australia doesnt have the infastructure, let me remind people that they hosted the best Olympics and Commonwealth Games EVER quote, by both IOC and ICC presidents. Australia has awesoem potential and it isnt anyfurther than Aregntina or anyother place for that matter. They have an awesome A league and I think yawn to USA and China. I think its time that Australia have it, Football isnt only loved in Europe and South America, lets not forget many Australians are migrants and come from football loving countries. If South Africa can host it then Australia has no prob what so ever people.
Here's the key - the Olympics and Commonwealth Games require ONE city to be in magnificent shape. Easy for Sydney and Melbourne. Top cities, excellent facilities, and plenty of demand for more... However, outside of those two, plus Brisbane (the only cities with venues suitable for a world cup at the moment) - how many population centers in Australia could actually match up to all of FIFA's requirements with regard to transport, accomodation and facilities? How many population centers can justify a 40k 'soccer' suitable stadium? Maybe Perth and Adelaide (both have plans, I know).

I'm dubious about the plans for Adelaide to be honest - can they really use a 40k soccer specific venue with their A-League club averaging well under 1/3 of that figure? Would venues in Newcastle, Townsville, Canberra or over in Tassie represent any better value for money?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #3652
Benjuk

Quote:
You're asking a lot of the host countries, here: More tourists, more events, etc. Might be too much and could inadvertently reduce the number of eligible hosts. Besides, you're simply diluting the talent brought to the finals while simultaneously weakening the appeal and urgency of the regional qualifying games. The only need to increase the field would be to increase revenues, and I don't think this would substantially increase media interest for what is already the biggest TV event going.

32 is simply too harmonious a format for the tournament.
All true - BUT - when have FIFA ever allowed common sense to get in the way of an opportunity to make more money and/or for the president to gain more votes from the 'struggling' countries by assuring them of more spots at the finals.

As to the dilution of talent/quality at the finals - would the 5th and 6th best teams from South America, or the 14th and 15th best teams from Europe represent any less quality than, for example, the 5th team from Asia (who WILL be at WC2010), or the 4th team from Central/North America?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #3653
theespecialone

Likes (Received): 0

in australia, football is #2 after afl
league and union are dying.
theespecialone no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #3654
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

OK

Worst case scenario for the US.

2018 Goes to England (mortal LOCK)
2022 goes to China
2026 goes to the USA

Due to FIFA's new rotation policy (confederation has to wait two turns after hosting), the 2026 bid would be between the Americas and Africa. And you must be out of your mind to think that any african country would be considered over the USA (especially with no more joint-bids). The only countries that could even be mentioned would be Canada, Mexico, and Argentina, and they both would need A LOT of work to get SOMEWHAT close to the CURRENT stadium infrastructure in the USA.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #3655
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2717

Please no off-topic discussions!

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #3656
theespecialone

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
OK

2022 goes to China
2026 goes to the USA

Due to FIFA's new rotation policy (confederation has to wait two turns after hosting), the 2026 bid would be between the Americas and Africa. And you must be out of your mind to think that any african country would be considered over the USA (especially with no more joint-bids). The only countries that could even be mentioned would be Canada, Mexico, and Argentina, and they both would need A LOT of work to get SOMEWHAT close to the CURRENT stadium infrastructure in the USA.

an argentina-uruguay wc for 2030 would be very sentimental
theespecialone no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #3657
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
OK

2022 goes to China
2026 goes to the USA

Sounds about right to me.

That will make 2030 bidding very interesting. Sentimental centenial in Uruguay (and Argentina), or back to Europe (perhaps a finals in FIFA's 'home', Switzerland (sharing with Italy).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #3658
sativ

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
While I agree there are other nations that could be considered more deserving for sentimental reasons, the bid process will bear our whether or not that matters to FIFA. However, to say the US is nothing to football is beyond opinion and blatantly incorrect. It's a fact the nation has hosted 1 men's and 2 women's world cups, all with great success, and since then football has only grown as a professional league and as a commodity to average fans. Witness the mostly sold-out exhibition games played by the likes of ManU, Celtic, Barca, etc.

Are there nations with a deeper and richer football heritage than the US? Definitely. Is the US "nothing" when it comes to football? Definitely not.

It amazes me how many people automatically equate singular political idioms to the group-thinking of an entire nation of 300M people. But for what it's worth, even the feeble UN has cited the governments of those nations as among the worst violators of human rights and worthy of scrutiny. I'm not advocating war, but it's not as if the US was throwing jabs at Denmark.

Just saying.

So one's opinion is wrong, yet you're certain about the US bid? Any suggestions for my lottery picks then...

I fail to see the connection here. Surely there's no formal requirement that a host nation have a population of X people, so if the hosts show that they can cater to the volume of tourists expected than that's all that matters. Just as you've tried to illustrate with regards to China.

IMO, those are MUCH better options than the athletics stadiums shown before. I'd rather see a bid centered around those stadiums.

Assuming English isn't your first language, I give you credit for your efforts to contribute to the conversation. As for your assumptions, these are not special. By that I mean there's a long list of countries that could also build the number of required new stadiums if that's where they choose to invest the money. Most are wise enough to understand, however, that sometimes the costs of sporting facilities doesn't always yield a good financial or social return. And from what I know of China's other social and infrastructure woes, more brand new stadiums should be near the bottom of their priorities. (Granted, this is true for many countries, but I digress.)

The bottom line is that all things being equal a Chinese bid will not have anything so grand or unique (ie: they won't be a lock) when compared to other nations UNLESS they spend outrageous amounts of money. The kind of money that makes the rest of the world suspicious that the government is merely trying to distract the world from social problems elsewhere. I'm not saying they can't make a nice bid, I just don't think it's more perfect compared to other options.
I am sorry, my English not well, I hope you can see that.

Australia and China the situation different. China can put all the competition on more than 5 million population of big cities hosting, and the Australian Competition will be on the 100,000 population of the town host. Availability of these small town of hotel, transport Tools, police »

The Chinese government is willing to invest to build the stadium, this is not the things you need to worry about. Olympics greater investment than the World Cup, but will benefit from the World Cup less than the Chinese people can accept the Olympic Games, the same can accept the World Cup.
Chinese people's enthusiasm for the World Cup do not need to doubt. During the World Cup, tens of millions of Chinese fans will get up at 3:00 in the morning watching the game. Even in the absence of the Chinese team. In 2002 China and Brazil World Cup match China has 250 million fans watched the game. I do not know that other countries have no such record.
Please note that China will soon become the world's third economic power, GDP more than 4 trillion U.S. dollars, China has sufficient ability to hold the World Cup.
sativ no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #3659
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

To be honest I think that if you havnt been to Australia dont pull shit ouf your arse. If Australia was to get it then upgrades and etc would be made. When we got the Olympics all major stadiums including in Canberra were upgraded. Perth and Adelaide and upgrading and Perth is actually bu8ilding a new Stadium with Melbourne actually building a new SOCCER ONLY stadium which will be home to local teams and one from Greece as Melbourne has the highest population of people from Greece outside of Athens. I thnk Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane and Adfelaide can pull it off. Australis is no worse than South Africa, it would be stupid to assume Joburg, Capetown and Durban would have better stadiums and hotels to cater for than Australia. When it was in South Korea how many South Korean cities had Soccer games? Its time to spread the love of Soccer to other countries outside of South America and Europe.
In relation to the comment that the Olympics you need ONE city to be amazing is a crock of shit as Melbounre, Canberra, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth had events not as many as Sydney but ebents, i.e a soccer or hockey game so the love was shared. Australia is a sporting nation and a nation in which revellers can feel safe, unlike South Africa. I thinm that it would defintely be good for the sport.
melbstud no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #3660
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

Originally Posted by sativ
Moreover, Australia's population of less than 20 million, so in a World Cup host country, is clearly too little.Those less than 10 million people in the town, they need a stadium of 40,000 + ?

Another thing to the ignorent poster Australia's population is 22 million not under 20 million. Melbourne has 4 million and it has 2 with one more major being built stadiums with the MCG having more than 100,00 seats and the other 50 and 65 ,000 and over, so no problems for seating!
melbstud no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup