daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 25th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #3661
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
OK

Worst case scenario for the US.

2018 Goes to England (mortal LOCK)
2022 goes to China
2026 goes to the USA

I don't see it that way. It's

2022 - USA (that's a lock too.)

2026 - China -- after their public relations/human wrongs mess earlier this year; maybe a few epdemics and killer earthquakes down the line, I can definitely see 2026 as the earliest for China.

Ignore theordinaryone and carrerra. Ignorant trolls.
rover3 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #3662
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
Please no off-topic discussions!
it happens when you allow "general sports discussion" in a stadium and arena section.

the next thread im opening, "possible 2098 world cup bids."
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #3663
sativ

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbstud View Post
Originally Posted by sativ
Moreover, Australia's population of less than 20 million, so in a World Cup host country, is clearly too little.Those less than 10 million people in the town, they need a stadium of 40,000 + ?

Another thing to the ignorent poster Australia's population is 22 million not under 20 million. Melbourne has 4 million and it has 2 with one more major being built stadiums with the MCG having more than 100,00 seats and the other 50 and 65 ,000 and over, so no problems for seating!
I am sorry, it is clerical error. I mean, Australia does not have sufficient number of large cities, leading Australia to the 200,000 population in the town of organized competition.
sativ no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #3664
sativ

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
To be honest I think that if you havnt been to Australia dont pull shit ouf your arse. If Australia was to get it then upgrades and etc would be made. When we got the Olympics all major stadiums including in Canberra were upgraded. Perth and Adelaide and upgrading and Perth is actually bu8ilding a new Stadium with Melbourne actually building a new SOCCER ONLY stadium which will be home to local teams and one from Greece as Melbourne has the highest population of people from Greece outside of Athens. I thnk Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane and Adfelaide can pull it off. Australis is no worse than South Africa, it would be stupid to assume Joburg, Capetown and Durban would have better stadiums and hotels to cater for than Australia. When it was in South Korea how many South Korean cities had Soccer games? Its time to spread the love of Soccer to other countries outside of South America and Europe.
In relation to the comment that the Olympics you need ONE city to be amazing is a crock of shit as Melbounre, Canberra, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth had events not as many as Sydney but ebents, i.e a soccer or hockey game so the love was shared. Australia is a sporting nation and a nation in which revellers can feel safe, unlike South Africa. I thinm that it would defintely be good for the sport.
I am very interested to know that, if England was assigned to the Canberra match, Canberra how to more than 200,000 England fans to provide adequate hotels, restaurants, transport, police »
sativ no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #3665
theespecialone

Likes (Received): 0

2018-England
2022-China
2098-New Zealand

theespecialone no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #3666
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

It wouldnt be assigned to Canberra clearly its like saying what if a Brazil game was to be lets say Leeds or some other small city, it wouldnt. However, Canberra does have facilites might I add, the Australian Institue of Sport is based there with many facilities aswell as facilities from the Olympics, thats where our stars are created. Lets us not forget if we do get it, changes will be made our stadium for the Olympics was in operation a year before the games started unlike Athens.

Why are people assuming based on what is at present, clearly things will be made and accomodated for, Australia has the means to do so.
melbstud no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #3667
Benjuk

Quote:
To be honest I think that if you havnt been to Australia dont pull shit ouf your arse. If Australia was to get it then upgrades and etc would be made. When we got the Olympics all major stadiums including in Canberra were upgraded. Perth and Adelaide and upgrading and Perth is actually bu8ilding a new Stadium with Melbourne actually building a new SOCCER ONLY stadium which will be home to local teams and one from Greece as Melbourne has the highest population of people from Greece outside of Athens. I thnk Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane and Adfelaide can pull it off. Australis is no worse than South Africa, it would be stupid to assume Joburg, Capetown and Durban would have better stadiums and hotels to cater for than Australia. When it was in South Korea how many South Korean cities had Soccer games? Its time to spread the love of Soccer to other countries outside of South America and Europe.

In relation to the comment that the Olympics you need ONE city to be amazing is a crock of shit as Melbounre, Canberra, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth had events not as many as Sydney but ebents, i.e a soccer or hockey game so the love was shared. Australia is a sporting nation and a nation in which revellers can feel safe, unlike South Africa. I thinm that it would defintely be good for the sport.
I've lived here for 8 years, mate. I'm well aware of the facilities.

With regard to the Olympics - one city was required to meet all standards, all of the other cities that hosted smaller, satelite events had upgrades - but nothing even close to the standards required by FIFA. There's a massive difference between fitting extra seats and press facilities at Aussie Stadium in Canberra, and upgraded a facility to 40k seats (with roof).

"I thnk Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane and Adfelaide can pull it off."

Not under FIFA rules we can't. 8 venues over 7 cities, MINIMUM, possible that the number is now officially up to 10 over 9 cities. Either way, that still leaves 'white elephant' stadiums required in Townsville or Canberra.

With regard to the comparrison with South Africa's bid - you have to remember that FIFA actively changed the rules in order to get an African host. They will not be changing the rules to get an Aussie finals.

"When it was in South Korea how many South Korean cities had Soccer games?"

Having started your rant by saying "if you haven't been... dont pull shit ouf your arse", you should do a little research before putting Korea up as an example we can compare ourselves to...

South Korea provided 10 stadiums (42k was the smallest) over 10 cities, hosting over 30 games between them (in addition to the 9 venues Japan put up).

Quote:
Another thing to the ignorent poster Australia's population is 22 million not under 20 million. Melbourne has 4 million and it has 2 with one more major being built stadiums with the MCG having more than 100,00 seats and the other 50 and 65 ,000 and over, so no problems for seating!
As stated above... It's all well and good saying that Melbourne with it's 4 million population has three stadiums, etc., the fact is that it could only use 2 of them in a world cup bid - and even then only if Sydney only used 1 of it's 2 world class facilities.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #3668
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
I don't see it that way. It's

2022 - USA (that's a lock too.)

2026 - China -- after their public relations/human wrongs mess earlier this year; maybe a few epdemics and killer earthquakes down the line, I can definitely see 2026 as the earliest for China.

Ignore theordinaryone and carrerra. Ignorant trolls.
That's how I see it too, but I'm just saying that the worst case scenario would be the 2026 WC, unlike how carrerra doesn't think the US will get the WC again anytime this century.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #3669
Iain1974

Well it's pretty hard to be accurate with predictions. I feel that 2018 will be in Europe with England most likely. After that Europe is out for 2022.

I suppose USA/China/Australia are contenders for 2022 and 2026 is likely to be back in Europe, shall we say Spain for the sake of argument and then 2030 will be 'open'.

If China hosts a great Olympics then they might feel they can step up to the main event with a World Cup in 2022. Who knows?
Iain1974 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #3670
theespecialone

An Australian bid would have:

sydney-telstra stadium
melbourne-new rectangular stadium + MCG
brisbane-lang park
townsville-dairy farmers' stadium (upgrade)
gold coast-skilled stadium (expansion)
perth-new stadium
adelaide-new stadium
newcastle-EAS (expanded)
canberra

that's 10

if you classify telstra stadium as being in parramatta and tell fifa that it is a separate city, you could also have the SFS so there's 11 already.
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #3671
hngcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1974 View Post
Well it's pretty hard to be accurate with predictions. I feel that 2018 will be in Europe with England most likely. After that Europe is out for 2022.

I suppose USA/China/Australia are contenders for 2022 and 2026 is likely to be back in Europe, shall we say Spain for the sake of argument and then 2030 will be 'open'.

If China hosts a great Olympics then they might feel they can step up to the main event with a World Cup in 2022. Who knows?
If 2018 goes to England, Spain would have to wait until 2030 for a World Cup.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #3672
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by theespecialone View Post
An Australian bid would have:

sydney-telstra stadium
melbourne-new rectangular stadium + MCG
brisbane-lang park
townsville-dairy farmers' stadium (upgrade)
gold coast-skilled stadium (expansion)
perth-new stadium
adelaide-new stadium
newcastle-EAS (expanded)
canberra

that's 10

if you classify telstra stadium as being in parramatta and tell fifa that it is a separate city, you could also have the SFS so there's 11 already.
I doubt that FIFA would fall for the concept of the Sydney Olympic Stadium not being in Sydney...

Hard to imagine the financial justification in expanding Townsville, Canberra, even Gold Coast, to 40k. Not sure if any of them would be likely to experience those sorts of crowds outside of maybe an Australian international side playing their once every year or two.

As for the new rectangular stadium in Melbourne, a true white elephant if they take it up to 40-50k. They already have TelstraDome and the MCG in the large stadium catagory, MRS was conceived for the specific purpose of filling the mid-sized stadium catagory, to expand it for the sake of a world cup (I know the foundations are in place for the extension) seems a total waste of tax-payers money.

I'd love it to happen, but I can't see it - not with the competition... We're scrambling around figuring out which stadiums we can justify expanding, hoping that the game will take off in order that they won't sit half-empty for the next 20 years... Meanwhile, by the time the bids go in the USA, China, Spain and England will all have more than the required number of stadiums in action, and being filled on a regular basis. As I've said before - it's not about meeting the minimum standards - it's about putting in a better bid than your rivals.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #3673
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post

With regard to the comparrison with South Africa's bid - you have to remember that FIFA actively changed the rules in order to get an African host. They will not be changing the rules to get an Aussie finals.
Fortunately South Africa was able to bid with a solid set of existing venues that were already in good use.

Soccer City 70,000
Loftus Versfeld 50,000
Newlands 50,000
Kings Park 55,000
Vodacom Park 38,000
Rustenburg 36,000
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #3674
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

I think what BenjiUK is saying Australia cant pull it off, again more crap. FIFA busted balls to get an African Host but is South Africa really that better for hosting a World Cup in compasrison to Australia? I dont think so, London will have the Olympics in 2012 so in 2018 to have the World Cup is unjustifiable. Australia and Australians would support and make the needed changes to support a FIFA world cup, thank God your not on the committee as the world just doesnt revolve around Europe and the UK " MATE".

In terms of putting in a better bid Homebush never existed prior to the games and neither did the SCG refurbishment. Excuses Excuses Excuses.

Don't for theespecialone, Melbourne also has Telstra Dome, Telstra Dome can alter seating plans to vary from 12000 to 74000 for sporting and other event.

Last edited by melbstud; June 26th, 2008 at 03:40 PM.
melbstud no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #3675
hngcm

FIFA doesn't care about who had the Olympics, Mexico and Germany both had world cups 2 years after an Olympics.

Nobody is saying that Australia can't pull off the World Cup, we're saying that they're unlikely to win against England/USA/China since those countries would have much better bids that don't just meet the minimum requirements.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #3676
theespecialone

Quote:
I think what BenjiUK is saying Australia cant pull it off, again more crap. FIFA busted balls to get an African Host but is South Africa really that better for hosting a World Cup in compasrison to Australia? I dont think so, London will have the Olympics in 2012 so in 2018 to have the World Cup is unjustifiable. Australia and Australians would support and make the needed changes to support a FIFA world cup, thank God your not on the committee as the world just doesnt revolve around Europe and the UK " MATE".

In terms of putting in a better bid Homebush never existed prior to the games and neither did the SCG refurbishment. Excuses Excuses Excuses.

Don't for theespecialone, Melbourne also has Telstra Dome, Telstra Dome can alter seating plans to vary from 12000 to 74000 for sporting and other event.
2 stadiums per city, so i excluded it
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #3677
Benjuk

Quote:

MelbSTUD,
I'm not saying Australia CAN'T pull it off, I'm saying that whilst I would LOVE Australia to pull it off, I can't see us putting in a BETTER bid than England, Spain, China or the USA.

You've mentioned the Olympics a few times... Some cities can support a huge stadium - the lure of an Olympics is certainly justification to build such a stadium, as you can have a degree of confidence that the venue will be regularly filled afterward... You can't say the same thing for 40k venues in Canberra, Townsville, Newcastle, on the Gold Coast, in Tasmania, even in Adelaide... Thus building them at vast expense for the sake of 4 world cup games each is a total blowout.

Again, as I've been saying for the last couple of years - I dearly hope the A-League continues to grow, that Australia qualifies for 2010 and the game takes another step up, and that attendances reach the point that, as in the larger footballing nations in Europe, crowd sizes demand the clubs build larger stadia... I'd love Australia to host the world cup - I simply look at the facts from a more detached point of view.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM   #3678
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

please answer me this:

IS IT TWO STADIUMS PER CITY, OR IS IT ONLY ONE CITY THAT IS ALLOWED TO USE TWO STADIUMS, THE REST ALLOWED TO ONLY USE ONE.

Where did you find these regulations?
woozoo está en línea ahora  
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:09 PM   #3679
hngcm

One city with two stadiums, the rest with only one.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:00 PM   #3680
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

thanks man
woozoo está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup