daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #3761
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Carrerra, no one cares about your anti americanism agenda anymore...give up
Criticizing others for being anti-American biased. Is that the last resort you have when you find nothing to contradict their arguments?

I can't help doubting your intelligent level. Do you know when the Civil War broke out? Do you know who abolished slavery in your country? I don't feel like believing that you intelligence represents that of average American forumers here.
Carrerra no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #3762
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
The world doesn't revolve around USA either. As for spreading football out, China or India would be much more attractive choice than USA to FIFA in terms of growth potential.
Quote:
Criticizing others for being anti-American biased. Is that the last resort you have when you find nothing to contradict their arguments?

I can't help doubting your intelligent level. Do you know when the Civil War broke out? Do you know who abolished slavery in your country? I don't feel like believing that you intelligence represents that of average American forumers here.
1861 and the 13th amendment. Carrerra, i am probably not the only one on this board who thinks that you have an extreme anti american bias. Carrerra, do you remember what you were responding to in the first quote? I believe that it was a message i wrote someone else, a message in which i listed reasons (contradictions) to their argument. Carrerra, you dont ever list any points anymore, just the same old things about how americans are incompetent. There isnt any need for it. Dont question my intelligence.
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #3763
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Criticizing others for being anti-American biased.
Technically this is incorrect. Having a bias assumes a prejudicial opinion of others based on merit, so in your particular terms the person being anti-American would be biased (for having a classification-based prejudice against people and things) while the other person is simply providing counter reactions to the opinions offered them.

Having a prejudice against things that aren't American would be biased. Being critical of other who portray a bias such as anti-Americanism is merely being defensive. They could be unmannerly in their approach, but not biased.

Just saying.
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #3764
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

READ THIS:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tour...ts_en_8211.pdf

Stadiums:
The U.S has the best facilities and stadiums out of the three countries (China, Australia, USA). All Chinas stadiums have running tracks around them. Australia's stadiums are pretty much all smaller, and many have to be built or redeveloped. Their only advantage is that many have roofs, as opposed to American stadiums.

If the US need new or redeveloped stadiums to get the cup, they have the capability to build them. Just as China and Australia have capability to build and redevelop stadiums.

The guidelines for space around the ground is exactly that, a guideline, not a rule. Read the document.

Quote:
Can we all please put a few things to rest...

- No matter where the WC is held, some audience is going to be screwed by the game times! But assuming we're all fans, we make it work out and FIFA knows this. The host isn't selected with the intention of p***ing off one continent or the other.

- Regarding Asia's huge population: Uh, yeah, we get it. But until we hear that FIFA is mandating a certain year for an Asian WC then this is a non-issue, because if Asia doesn't get the WC in '18 or '22, chances are they'll get one of the next two. It's not as if these will be the last games ever played.

Similarly, fans for a US bid needn't panic if they miss out as the Americas will get their chance in due time as well.
I completely agree.

Quote:
- In lieu of the above, please stop insinuating the time zone issue is solely a "USA" problem. It would apply for any games held in Mexico or Latin America, and it will be realized when Brazil hosts, albeit not as egregiously.
To this I would add, having the world cup in Asia would also mean crap viewing times in Europe.

Once again my main argument for USA not getting 2022 cup is that it is too soon for America. I just can't see FIFA giving the cup to USA after 28 years.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #3765
*England*
Who Dares Wins

Likes (Received): 0

Join Fantasy Football Sun Dream Team Mini League 08/09

http://www.dreamteamfc.com
Mini League PIN: 100034
Password: winners

should have over 500 to 1000 teams in league by the time the game starts
£1million of prizes, and end of season mini league prizes
to the top 20 teams each getting equal share if league wins money.
enter as many teams as you like to stand a better chance, theres also chat in the league.
its unlimited transfers til game starts so dont worry about making teams early.
you'll also get an invite back in future seasons.
*England* no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #3766
Tritons

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Go learn something about the US before you post, then try again. Bet you didnt know that soccer is the biggest youth sport over here did you? Everyone grows up playing it.
While this may be true, it's used more for teaching kids how to play on a team and sportsmanship, rather than trying to grow the sport in the States. Sure, there may be many players who come out of youth soccer and end up playing on high school and later college teams, but for most, they lose interest in the sport once they hit their teenage years in favor of more American sports or losing interest in sports altogether. There's a lot more money to be made in baseball, basketball, or American football than in soccer.

Then there's also the misconception that soccer is for girls, which doesn't help.

Just a side note.
Tritons no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #3767
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

That's true.

You hear about those "soccer moms," but you don't see that many people playing soccer in HS and college.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #3768
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
That's true.

You hear about those "soccer moms," but you don't see that many people playing soccer in HS and college.
Are you kidding? There are very few Division I universities without a soccer programs...and that's not to mention Divisions II and III and the NAIA. Any high school in the U.S. with even the smallest budget for athletics can field a team. It is much less expensive to support a soccer team than football...so I would dare say that you see A LOT of people playing soccer in high school and college.
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #3769
Tritons

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
Are you kidding? There are very few Division I universities without a soccer programs...and that's not to mention Divisions II and III and the NAIA. Any high school in the U.S. with even the smallest budget for athletics can field a team. It is much less expensive to support a soccer team than football...so I would dare say that you see A LOT of people playing soccer in high school and college.
I don't want to drag this thread off-topic, but this still doesn't counter the reality. I agree that there are plenty of people playing soccer, especially in early youth teams, but that still doesn't translate to the professional level. Yeah, high schools and colleges have soccer teams. But even Division I college soccer teams get little mention in the media and don't get the funding that the schools give to basketball/football programs. There's just much more money to be made on a good basketball/football team, much more glory to be had, both by the schools and the individual players. So people just gravitate towards those sports than soccer.
Tritons no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #3770
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
Well I meant compared to football/basketball.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #3771
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Wanna see a WC in Australia. They could get the WC 2010 since South Africa seems to be out now...
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #3772
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

I think, 2022 competition will be held between China and Australia!

Both of them are equal for ability to organize the torunement. So, the FIFA policy will be important more than facilities, stadiums and infrasutructure.

How will FIFA regard these two countries as possible future football nation? Wich country will be more important for joining the popular World Football Family?
Kuvvaci no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #3773
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

More important to the future in FIFA's eyes would be China, just because their population is almost 20 times that of Australia's; I think even most Australians would agree with that.

But that doesn't mean China could pull off a better world cup than Australia and that is surely what FIFA has to look at when awarding their flagship tournament.
RobH no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #3774
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
READ THIS:

Once again my main argument for USA not getting 2022 cup is that it is too soon for America. I just can't see FIFA giving the cup to USA after 28 years.

Well then, why does it return to Europe every 8 or every 12 years? Why should it return to Asia 16 or 20 years? Why is that acceptable for Asia, but 28 years is too 'soon' for the USA? Your reasoning does NOT compute.; but your 'bias' does.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #3775
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

Since when was the USA a continent?

You should be supporting a Canadian bid by your logic.
RobH no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #3776
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post

Well, think about it. Mexico's already had it twice. Canada's soccer prowess? Uhmmm, I think 2 or 3 Caribbean/Central American nations could beat them by a mile. But no Carib/Central American nation that can handle WC sporting demands, comes to mind.

So, realistically, it's only the US can logistically, sportingly, and financially handle a WC the way it is today. So, why even beat around the bush?
rover3 no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #3777
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
More important to the future in FIFA's eyes would be China, just because their population is almost 20 times that of Australia's; I think even most Australians would agree with that.

But that doesn't mean China could pull off a better world cup than Australia and that is surely what FIFA has to look at when awarding their flagship tournament.
As you know, after a point, FIFA, UEFA or IOC look at such things. What can the torunement bring this country? How can they increase the popularity the football? They gave 1994 WC to America to increase the popularity of football in the U.S. They gave 2002 tournement to Japan& Korea to give a movment to the football of those countries (they achieved it also). IOC gave 2008 Olympics to Bejing to let 1 billion people to meet Olympism culture. UEFA gave EURO 2012 to Poland & Ukrain to make live the football potantial of Eastern Europe.

Of course critarian is not always like this. But they do such things often.
Kuvvaci no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #3778
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:

YEAH! Canada would be a good choice also!!!
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #3779
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
YEAH! Canada would be a good choice also!!!
They are a HOCKEY country. Since when did they even figure in WC eliminations? Never. And you think FIFA's going to give it to them before the US again? Dream on.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #3780
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

We are talking about a distant future! And until then, football may be promoted in Canada. Is China a football nation? Or South Korea? They had nothing to do with football some decades ago, but they are more and more intersted...

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup