daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 18th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #3841
theespecialone

Likes (Received): 0

spain don't need portugal to host
theespecialone no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #3842
theespecialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
I don't care. I'm just saying that FIFA has only awarded the cup twice to countries where football is the number one sport, with huge support and where it is on TV, radio and newspapers all year round. Even these countries had to wait at least 32 years.

I can't imagine having the word cricket in the name having and REAL significance. Just seems stupid to me.
The Final in 94 was played at the Pasadena Rose Bowl (a term meaning college American football game).

On another point:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

The Beijing organising committee has also restricted the size of national flags to 1m by 2m to ensure spectators do not block the vision of nearby fans.

Bans have also been slapped on musical instruments, whistles, long-handle umbrellas, animals - other than guide dogs - loudspeakers, radios and food and drink.

Drunkenness, nudity and gambling are also banned from Olympic venues.

China has already issued a range of restrictions on foreigners during the Games, including a ban on protests and sleeping outside during the Olympics.

It has also slashed the number of visas - and visit duration limits - to tourists.

Foreign journalists have also been warned they will not be permitted to interview members of the public without first lodging a form with officials.

Apparently Bibles are also going to be banned, though I don't see how they are going to do this, and this might be just the media blowing up the story because it seems a bit far fetched to me.

The banners and t-shirt ban is bad enough, but along with the restrictions on tourist visa's, FIFA would be seeing this as a major negative for hosting a world cup in China.
then australia it is for 2022
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #3843
theespecialone

didn't know that 'bowl' was a gridiron term, but there you go. MCG will be fine and will host matches if selected
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #3844
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Well, the term "bowl" has come to mean a certain type of college football game, but the "Bowl" in Rose Bowl refers to the shape of the stadium.
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #3845
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
So what? U seem so stuck on semantics.

If it was so objectionable to FIFA, then they would have said no. It seems to me that it's only prissy minds who can't think outside of a traditional stadium who are having a hard time with this. These fans, yourself included, should just get over it.
Chill man. I wasn't having a go against anything American, merely stating that (what I have now discovered was incorrect thanks to en1044) in the past, FIFA has allowed a stadium to be used despite being named with another sport in mind.

Quote:
Well, the term "bowl" has come to mean a certain type of college football game, but the "Bowl" in Rose Bowl refers to the shape of the stadium.
Well there you go, I misinterpreted the name. It does make more sense now you have pointed it out.

I can imagine FIFA having a problem with them name, but i doubt whether they would actually not allow it's use solely because of it's name. I don't think they are that petty.
Its the biggest stadium in the country, and one of the biggest in the world. Its name is historical and does not mean that it is used only for that sport. On the contrary its used for all major functions, and all the big grass pitch sports in Australia.
Personally, if it is used, I would rather see it used for the opening match. I'm not a fan of it as a soccer venue, and I think it would lend itself nicely to the opening ceremony.
Either way the Telstra Dome or an enlarged rectangular stadium could fill the void if the MCG isn't used.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #3846
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

I'd say 100% that the MCG will be used IF Australia is selected - my point (half tongue in cheek) is simply that FIFA may have an ego problem with the biggest game in the football world was to be played at a venue named the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Nothing to do with shape or facilities of the stadium (which are brilliant).

As an aside, I still have a problem with the new rectangular stadium in Melbourne and it's expandable capacity of 50k... They are using tax payer's money (mine!) to fund the building of a 31k venue on the grounds that Melbourne doesn't have any mid-range capacity venues, fine - then how can they justify pumping more money into expanding it to 50k when Telstra Dome is 30 minutes walk away, and the MCG is 5 minutes walk away?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #3847
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

personally i think that there is nothing wrong with playing in Melbourne. Who really cares about the name, its just a name. God forbid a WC match is ever held at an athletics stadium...
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #3848
stockholm_city

Australia! Defenetly Australia!
They need to bring football to their country (No offence to Rugby and Cricket). Australia have a ceveral stadiums that can host- or rebuilt to a football stadium.
That would also make the FIFA World Cup hosted by every singel continent in the world. And I think FIFA will think about that a lot when they will have a election about the tournament.

Scandinavian and Baltic forum
stockholm_city no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #3849
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

I don't think there has been a world cup in Antarctica.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #3850
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 22

Australia is better than the US

Last edited by Carrerra; July 18th, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #3851
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

Australia is in Asia as far as FIFA is concerned.
RobH no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #3852
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
so what ? you are not the one thats losing there money, let us try our luck... we will just keep bidding again and again...
So have you any news on Qatar's bid? Wikipedia was first I've heard of it.

I like the fact that Qatar are bidding, but after a quick glance at their current stadia, they're leagues behind the likes of USA, China, England and even Australia. A huge sum of money would be needed for Qatar to even compete with the other bid's stadia, let alone actually win the rights to host the tournment.
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #3853
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

Yeah I don't think that the rectangular stadium should be enlarged unless Melbourne Victory takes off in a HUGE way, selling out all their home games. Even then it should only go up to 40K. I can't see Melbourne Storm getting their attendance to anywhere near capacity so that has to be taken into account also.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #3854
tower_dan

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Australia is in Asia as far as FIFA is concerned.
That may be true because of the league, but there is no other counrty in oceania that could possibly host a FIFA world cup... NZ can barely host a rugby world cup on there own and thats their main sport, Australia is the powerhouse in our corner of the world,in sports, population, everything, the only way oceania will ever host a FIFA world cup will be is its hosted by Australia
tower_dan no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #3855
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

Something tells me that if the tradition of 1 out of 2 WC in Europe is not going to be kept at least 1 out of 3.
So 2018 should go with no comment to England or another European Country so then Australia, China, USA should think about 2022.
For 2022 i dream of a US World Cup, they can afford even to limit the WC to a particular zone like the North-East Coast or the South-West Coast. I think they can build enough stadiums to do so. And of course, preferably not something like the Rose Bowl atypical for spectators with the stands laying back not rising up and having eventually one or more floors. Of course this time New York would be a great place to host the final.
2024 can go to China or another Asian Country ( Australia as part of the Asian Federation )
2028 back to Europe
2030 Uruguay .

Last edited by PaulFCB; July 18th, 2008 at 05:00 PM.
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #3856
CiudadanoDelMundo
Ahí vamos pa´lante

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theespecialone View Post
spain don't need portugal to host
That's true, but bidding together is a way (for both of them) to get the support from all latin american federations (presenting the tournament as a Latin WC, it has been said that it could be named Iberian World Cup), besides the fact that Portugal has never hosted the tournament..it could give them a good chance to get it
Old July 19th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #3857
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

Portugals recent hosting of Euro 2004 may affect a joint Portugal/Spain bid so Spain are better off bidding alone. They'll have decent enough stadia by 2018 so they won't have much to worry about...
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #3858
hngcm

hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #3859
hngcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiudadanoDelMundo View Post
That's true, but bidding together is a way (for both of them) to get the support from all latin american federations (presenting the tournament as a Latin WC, it has been said that it could be named Iberian World Cup), besides the fact that Portugal has never hosted the tournament..it could give them a good chance to get it
If they were separate, most would vote for Spain instead of Portugal.

So again, spain doesn't need portugal.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #3860
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower_dan View Post
That may be true because of the league, but there is no other counrty in oceania that could possibly host a FIFA world cup... NZ can barely host a rugby world cup on there own and thats their main sport, Australia is the powerhouse in our corner of the world,in sports, population, everything, the only way oceania will ever host a FIFA world cup will be is its hosted by Australia
Oceana will only ever host the world cup if Australia changes it's mind and opts out of Asia again - and it won't do that so long as the Asian Champions League is expanding and providing decent earning potential to the top A-League sides.
Benjuk no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup