daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #3861
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockholm_city View Post
Australia! Defenetly Australia!
They need to bring football to their country (No offence to Rugby and Cricket). Australia have a ceveral stadiums that can host- or rebuilt to a football stadium.
That would also make the FIFA World Cup hosted by every singel continent in the world. And I think FIFA will think about that a lot when they will have a election about the tournament.
We have football in our country.
Benjuk no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #3862
CiudadanoDelMundo
Ahí vamos pa´lante

Likes (Received): 3

Bidding together almost assure all votes from spanish speaking countries and portuguese speaking countries, and that's more than bidding separately, so again, bidding together is better..imho of course
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #3863
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiudadanoDelMundo View Post
Bidding together almost assure all votes from spanish speaking countries and portuguese speaking countries, and that's more than bidding separately, so again, bidding together is better..imho of course
ah..but if only it was that simple.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #3864
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
I hope they also include Gibraltar in their bid, so it'll also get all the Anglo votes!!
rover3 no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #3865
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

With this possible joint Spanish and Portugal bid, what does everyone think it would be like? Would both countries put in an even amount of stadiums, or would Spain put in more as its a larger country? Would they go for the maximum 12 stadiums (6 each) or could they put in more like Japan / South Korea did in 2002 (From memory they put in 10 each)?

This what I think their bid could look like:

SPAIN

Madrid: Estadio Santiago Bernabéu, 80,400.
Barcelona: Camp Nou, 106,000.
Valencia: Nou Mestalla, 75,000.
Seville: Manuel Ruiz de Lopera Stadium, 65,000.
Bilbao: Estadio San Mames, 56,000
Zaragoza: Nueva Romareda, 43,000

PORTUGAL

Lisbon: Estádio da Luz, 65,000.
Porto: Estádio do Dragão, 52,000.
Braga: Municipal de Braga, 40,000. (Expansion from 30,154) If this can be done?
Aveiro: Municipal de Aveiro, 40,000. (Expansion from 30,678)
Coimbra: Cidade de Coimbra, 40,000 (Expansion from 30,154)
Faro: Estádio Algarve, 40,000. (Expansion from 30,305)

Now if the Joint bid was allowed to have as many stadiums as Japan / S.Korea 2002 then maybe there could be 2 stadiums in Madrid and 2 in Lisbon, but as I have only used 12 stadiums in total I chose to only use 1 per city, hence why Lisbon's 50,300 Estádio José Alvalade, and Madrid's new 72,000 Olympic stadiums have lost out.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #3866
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Don't think FIFA will ever allow a joint bid with 20 venues. They will prob cap it at 12 and spread it evenly. FIFA would prefer no bi-national bids since Spain is fully capable and there would be fewer hosting issues.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:25 AM   #3867
CiudadanoDelMundo
Ahí vamos pa´lante

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
I hope they also include Gibraltar in their bid, so it'll also get all the Anglo votes!!
No way dude!.. Andorra would be better (latins too u know?)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
ah..but if only it was that simple.
Yes, it's not that simple but it's another reason to go for it, and imo, if they want to bid together is because they know that they have possibilities but I think that 2018 will go to England
And by the way, I would like to see a WC hosted in Australia, maybe 2022

Last edited by CiudadanoDelMundo; July 20th, 2008 at 03:36 AM.
CiudadanoDelMundo no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #3868
theespecialone

Likes (Received): 0

spain and portugal 2026
theespecialone no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #3869
CiudadanoDelMundo
Ahí vamos pa´lante

Sounds good for me --> 18 England, 22 Australia or China, 26 Spain & Portugal
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:15 AM   #3870
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Sounds good for me --> 18 England, 22 Australia or China, 26 Spain & Portugal
Impossible.

FIFA's new rotation system only says that a confederation has to wait two turns to host a World Cup. Therefore, if England gets 2018, the WC can't go back to Europe until 2030. So...

2018- England
2022- USA/China/Aus
2026- China/Aus/USA
2030- Spain (and/or Portugal)
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM   #3871
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

Uruguay has got to be in on 2030, I think an Uruguay/Argentina cup with the Final in the aptly named Estadio Centenario would fit the bill perfect. If Spain wants to host soon they will probably need to beat out England for 2018, or Maybe 2034 (little ways out)

The way I see it.
2018-England
2022-USA/China/Australia
2026-USA/China/Australia
2030-Uruguay/Argentina joint bid.
Benn no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:48 AM   #3872
Benjuk

There were only 32 years between Germany's 2 world cup finals tournaments (despite all the options in Europe), I wouldn't be surprised to see Japan throw it's hat into the ring for 2022, whilst it would only be 20 years (or 24 if they go for 2026) since they last co-hosted they would probably be able to use the fact that they effectively bailed FIFA out of a real mess on the South Korean front back then and now deserve their own finals. Could throw a spanner in the China/Australia equation.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:06 AM   #3873
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Doubt they'll choose Japan over China...even if they do have better venues.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:57 AM   #3874
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
There were only 32 years between Germany's 2 world cup finals tournaments (despite all the options in Europe), I wouldn't be surprised to see Japan throw it's hat into the ring for 2022, whilst it would only be 20 years (or 24 if they go for 2026) since they last co-hosted they would probably be able to use the fact that they effectively bailed FIFA out of a real mess on the South Korean front back then and now deserve their own finals. Could throw a spanner in the China/Australia equation.
Why in the world would FIFA give the cup a second time to Japan, when there are very strong bids from China and Australia?
Both China and Australia have strong cases for hosting the cup.

I can't imagine the FIFA representatives from Europe, or anywhere for that matter, giving the hosting privileges to a country for the second time after 20 years, when the football powerhouse nations had to wait upwards of 32 years.

You seem convinced Australia will not get the cup any time soon.
Why?

I am interested as to what you believe holds Australia back from hosting the tournament.
woozoo está en línea ahora  
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:10 PM   #3875
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Why in the world would FIFA give the cup a second time to Japan, when there are very strong bids from China and Australia?

I can't imagine the FIFA representatives from Europe, or anywhere for that matter, giving the hosting privileges to a country for the second time after 20 years, when the football powerhouse nations had to wait upwards of 32 years.

Why?

I am interested as to what you believe holds Australia back from hosting the tournament.
I have no doubt that Australia could make a nice event out of it, but at the end of the day it is, with all do respect, a small country with no football history...

Nobody thinks the Benelux will stand a change against England for 2018. Than how can Australia stand a chance against China? China is a relatively blind spot on the footballing map with a 1,3 billion people market. Australia is also a blind spot with less people than the Benelux...

Again, I have nothing against Australia as a host, but I don't see it happening for quite some time. From a FIFA standpoint, I think you either have to be a big bucks market or have a great football heritage. Australia has neither.

If they would qualify for, let's say, the coming 4 or 5 World cups and produce the new Zidane, the will definately become a viable host, but for now I can't see it happening...
mavn no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:13 PM   #3876
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Doubt they'll choose Japan over China...even if they do have better venues.
China will build 12 brand new football specific stadiums. It's not as if they've got a lack of space, money and have to fight local opposition...

Last edited by mavn; July 21st, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
mavn no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:04 AM   #3877
Benjuk

Quote:
Why?

I'd dearly love Australia to get the finals - but I'm astonished by the overly optimistic attitude of many Australians...

In footballing terms we are not a significant country.

In population terms we are way down the list. We may have one of the larger economies, but compared to China and the USA, our most likely rivals for a non-European world cup, we are tiny.

Geographically we're in a horrendous position - not so much our time-zone, more our distance from even our neighbours. And it's a big country too - not great for mass transportation of supporters. I'll never forget the feeling, the first I came here, when the pilot told us "we are now entering Australian airspace... We'll be landing in Melbourne in approx 3 hours."

The biggest thing though, in terms of this forum, is the venues.

With China there is talk that they would build 10-12 new venues instead of using the existing (predominently athletics based) venues.

With the USA, you can perm any 10 from 40 venues.

With Japan you could have a dozen state of the art, football suitable venues.

With several European nations you'd have options of this stadium or that one...

In Australia, people are still talking in terms of "maybe FIFA would relax the one stadium per city rule", or trying to squeeze 8 stadiums from 7 cities. It always seems to be minimum bid requirements rather than surpassing them. I accept that an Australian bid will most likely include plans to build new stadiums (see final paragraph for my dream) which would radically change the face of our bid (when that happens I'll relax).

As I've said numerous times on numerous threads... If Australia got the finals, we'd do a terrific job hosting them. However, as I've also said several times, it's not about us being able to host them, it's about us being able to offer BETTER facilities than the rival bidders.

All conditions being equal - which country do you think Asia's delegates are more likely to back - China or Australia? Which country do you think the world's delegates are more likely to back - England or Australia? And let's be brutally honest here, owing to the famed Aussie sporting spirit, which country do you think is more likely to grease a few FIFA palms - China, England, Australia or the USA?

At the end of the day, the main reason I suspect that England, Spain, China, the USA, Japan, etc., are more likely to get the next, and the next, and the next, finals tournament is a defensive mechanism, I don't want to be disappointed when (or should that be, "if") we don't get it.

I've also said elsewhere (non World Cup related) that I would love the federal and state governments to come out and announce a construction program that would create one multi-use venue (moving seats, etc.) in each state - with capacities varying according to demand from state to state, and with none of the new venues being in cities with existing top class venues.

If we did this, we could have new venues in (eg) Hobart (30k), Adelaide (60k), Canberra (40k), Newcastle (45k), Townsville (40k), Darwin (25k), Geelong (40k) and Perth (60-70k, this could be the new stadium that is already planned, or an alternate venue in Fremantle if the 'separate city' definition could be stretched).

In World Cup terms that would give us probably 6 additional 40k venues to add to the 5 or 6 we already have.

This would also assist in the desired expansions of the AFL and A-League competitions, provide additional venues for one-day & test cricket, for Australian international matches (for football and both rugby codes), and even athletics facilities, in general making Australia one of the best stadium served (per capita) countries in the world... And I think all of this should be done tomorrow - irrespective of a potential World Cup bid.

Quote:
Out of interest - what is Australia's strong case for hosting the cup? So far as I can say, having been here for the last 8 years, we can say we've hosted the Olympics and the Commonwealth Games, and other than a mechanical break-down in the opening ceremony and the (very) late completion of the aquatic centre they both went very well... In footballing terms though? What can we offer than England, the USA, China, etc., can't?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:38 AM   #3878
theespecialone

australia would be the final piece in the puzzle of the globalisation of football-if australia holds it then every continent will have held the world cup (barring antarctica)

australia also holds a good track record in major events ( all mentioned before)
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:40 AM   #3879
theespecialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
China will build 12 brand new football specific stadiums. It's not as if they've got a lack of space, money and have to fight local opposition...
china would put in a greater effort than they did for the olympics...and perhaps they'd fund the development of their football team like they do with some of their olympic athletes

i'd hate to see some of their exceptional athletics stadiums go to waste though
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:34 AM   #3880
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by theespecialone View Post
australia would be the final piece in the puzzle of the globalisation of football-if australia holds it then every continent will have held the world cup (barring antarctica)

australia also holds a good track record in major events ( all mentioned before)
So far as FIFA is concerned, Australia is in Asia. Therefore being 'the final part of the jigsaw' doesn't enter into it. With regard to the globalisation of football - that's surely more about numbers rather than nations, in which case pushing the game in China or India (I'm semi joking) would obviously be of more interest to FIFA.
Benjuk no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup