daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM   #3881
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
China will build 12 brand new football specific stadiums. It's not as if they've got a lack of space, money and have to fight local opposition...
A few days ago I did a bit of research, just in case the WC would be taken away from South Africa, but I think and hope that will NOT happen.
But, just in theory, China could be a back-up plan. It has plenty of big stadiums, brand new, spectacular ones but older ones as well that have been renovated. Unfortunately practically all of them have a track. As far as I know Hong Kong Stadium is the exception.

And you're right, space and money are not a problem, neither is local opposition. If it does appear, they simply bulldoze it away...

Concerning 2018: well, obviously I support a Benelux bid Belgium still has a long way to go however... Although, I guess "long" is quite relative: all it needs is a bit of political decisiveness to get started with those new stadiums.

Last edited by Chimaera; July 22nd, 2008 at 12:42 PM.
Chimaera no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM   #3882
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by theespecialone View Post
china would put in a greater effort than they did for the olympics
So says you, and you're entitled to your opinion but lets recall that's all it is. Compared to the World Cup, the Olympics are a concentrated effort that involves (essentially) one metro area and a shorter time period. Success in one does not necessarily translate into success in the other, and we've yet to call this Olympics a success. Sure, the Birds Nest looks fantastic, but there's more at stake than foisting a concrete monument.
Quote:
i'd hate to see some of their exceptional athletics stadiums go to waste though
Considering these facilities you're referencing were constructed before China even considered a bid for the World Cup, then it's safe to assume the government had plans for them. If they're going to waste then it's not the fault of FIFA but myopia on the part of the Chinese government. Further, others are suggesting China would build a host of new facilities, which could only compound the problem of white elephants across the country. Perhaps the Chinese government should consider investing their wealth in something other than obese sports arenas?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM   #3883
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
If they're going to waste then it's not the fault of FIFA but myopia on the part of the Chinese government. Further, others are suggesting China would build a host of new facilities, which could only compound the problem of white elephants across the country. Perhaps the Chinese government should consider investing their wealth in something other than obese sports arenas?

Ah, whadaheck? It's only billions of yuans. If Korea and Japan went on a spree of building 17 new stadia, what's to stop China from doing the same? Why should that spell of madness be limited to Japan and Korea, much smaller countries? China can BUILD 50 new stadia if it wanted to!! Build 'em, China, and the crowds will come... or NOT!!
rover3 no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM   #3884
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

The serious answer is at least Korea and Japan have the standard of living and demand that such facilities see some use and, more importantly, there's not as dire a need for investment in things like utilities, schools, infrastructure, etc.

Playing along, I think the answer is obvious: China wouldn't be satisfied merely mimicking the Japanese - They'd have to top them! Every stadium would thus feature retractable roofing, conversion from athletics to football, and removable fields! After which, the Chinese league could bring Zidane out of retirement, purchase Ronaldinho...
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:02 AM   #3885
Benjuk

Having seen the backwards and forwards, form filling, visa chasing, passport waving, etc., that a workmate of mine has had to go through in order to get from Australia to China, with a 2 day trip to Mongolia (just for the hell of it), I would suspect that the biggest barrier between China and a world cup will be the concept of them handling hundreds of thousands of football fans wanting to travel from city to city, congragate en mass to watch games on big screens, sing, drink, wear their colours, etc. Would imagine the authorities having a meltdown as they tried to figure out how to maintain order.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:36 AM   #3886
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Having seen the backwards and forwards, form filling, visa chasing, passport waving, etc., that a workmate of mine has had to go through in order to get from Australia to China, with a 2 day trip to Mongolia (just for the hell of it), I would suspect that the biggest barrier between China and a world cup will be the concept of them handling hundreds of thousands of football fans wanting to travel from city to city, congragate en mass to watch games on big screens, sing, drink, wear their colours, etc. Would imagine the authorities having a meltdown as they tried to figure out how to maintain order.
That's why I don't understand why certain nano-geniuses here INSIST China get the first available WC.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:07 AM   #3887
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Firstly Benjuk, thankyou for replying and outlining your ideas.
Quote:
China will build 12 brand new football specific stadiums. It's not as if they've got a lack of space, money and have to fight local opposition...
No. China's league is too poor to build so many stadiums.
It has a couple of teams which have crowds in the tens of thousands, most teams have crowds of 3,000 to 8,000, bottom teams have crowds of less than 1,000.

FIFA would not allow China to build stadiums that will sit completely empty after the cup.
FIFA wasn’t happy about the white elephants in Japan and Korea. And at least those countries have leagues with much greater support than the Chinese League. Japan also has interest in Rugby and American Football which are played in some of the grounds. The ONLY use for the stadiums in China is 16 games a year in the soccer league per stadium, and several home internationals spread between the grounds.
The extremely high level of poverty in China would also mean that FIFA would not be happy with new stadiums being built for no purpose other than the World cup.

Quote:
In footballing terms we are not a significant country.
In footballing terms Australia is number 1 in Asia. Japan is number 2. China is number 10. Yes, 10 in Asia.

Quote:
In population terms we are way down the list. We may have one of the larger economies, but compared to China and the USA, our most likely rivals for a non-European world cup, we are tiny.
Yes, but what does this have to do with Australia hosting a good world cup? Other than the much greater promotion of football in the host countries by having the world cup in China and USA.
I know it’s a long way back, but Chile, Sweden and Switzerland have hosted the cup. Much smaller than Australia. If a small country can provide the stadiums, facilities and infrastructure needed, whats holding it back?

Quote:
Geographically we're in a horrendous position - not so much our time-zone, more our distance from even our neighbours. And it's a big country too - not great for mass transportation of supporters. I'll never forget the feeling, the first I came here, when the pilot told us "we are now entering Australian airspace... We'll be landing in Melbourne in approx 3 hours."
This is a problem. As it is in China and USA. The intercity transport infrastructure is adequate in Australia.
Quote:
With China there is talk that they would build 10-12 new venues instead of using the existing (predominently athletics based) venues.
Not unless their shit league explodes in the next few years. Very unlikely as it is completely fixed and corrupt, and has been since it began.

Quote:
With the USA, you can perm any 10 from 40 venues.
Yes. USA has better stadiums than Australia.
But England had better facilities than Japan/Korea 2002, South Africa 2010 and Brazil 2014, and it had to wait to get the cup a second time. Because FIFA wants to spread the cup around the world, rather than host it in the same countries over and over.

Quote:
With Japan you could have a dozen state of the art, football suitable venues.
Two things are certain.
1) Only football powerhouse nations with very well performing national teams which have won the cup at least once have hosted the cup twice.
2) The shortest period of time between two hostings was 32 years for Germany.
Why would FIFA all of a sudden change its set in stone unwritten policy and give the cup to Japan after 20 years if there are strong bids from Australia and China?

Quote:
With several European nations you'd have options of this stadium or that one...
Australia isn't really bidding against European nations, but against CONCACAF and Asian nations.

Firstly if by chance FIFA were to ease its rules for stadiums per city, Australia has fantastic stadiums for the cup.
Unlike most other countries with large population spread around the country, Australia's population is centered around several cities, which would all host games. Almost half the country lives in Melbourne and Sydney. Add to that Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Newcastle and Canberra and you have about 70% of the population represented. Every state except Tasmania (population less than 500,000) would games. Every city with metropolitan a population over 300,000 would have a game.

Secondly, even if the rule isn't relaxed, no one has to squeeze games into 7 or 8 stadiums.
1) Perth.
2) Perth.
3) Adelaide.
4) Melbourne.
5) Canberra.
6) Sydney.
7) Newcastle.
8) Gold Coast.
9) Brisbane.
10) Townsville.

Plus other cities you mentioned.

Quote:
Out of interest - what is Australia's strong case for hosting the cup? So far as I can say, having been here for the last 8 years, we can say we've hosted the Olympics and the Commonwealth Games, and other than a mechanical break-down in the opening ceremony and the (very) late completion of the aquatic centre they both went very well...
I think, as do most other people, that 2022 and 2026 will go to Asia and CONCACAF.
I think that Asia would get it first for two reasons.
1) I can’t see European delegates giving the cup to USA after 28 years. It would bed a major dent in their pride, to have the US, a footballing minnow with little interest in the sport, being the nation with the shortest period of time between hosting the tournament. Lets face it, there is a lot of that sort of feeling around Europe, that the sport definitely belongs to them more than the USA.
2) There are more possible host nations in Asia than CONCACAF. After USA, who will host the next CONCACAF cup? Only possibility is Mexico, who have already hosted twice and don’t have the facilities.
In Asia, China and Australia area already bidding. You have mentioned UAE, India and Japan as other possibilities. Korea is another possibility in the future.
By giving the cup to Asia first, it allows the cup to return to Asia sooner, and opens up many more nations from Asia to bid sooner.

As far as China is concerned, there are MAJOR issues about hosting the cup there.
Pollution. Billions has been spent to clean up the air for the Olympics, without success. Factories have been closed or moved but air quality is still terrible. With more coal powered power stations being built, and car ales through the roof, pollution will only increase. While industry in Beijing can slow down while the Olympics are in town, there is no way China is going to close down 10 or 12 of its biggest cities for a month while the tournament is on. It would simply cripple the economy.
A large section of the Australian sports team is not participating in the opening ceremony so as to reduce the amount of time spent in Beijing.

Tibet Issue. The Tibet issue is not likely to go away. It has already been troublesome before the Olympics, it is interesting what will happen while they are on.

Civil rights. There have been many reports of mass arrests. Many more will surely be reported after the Olympics take place. Mosques have been shut down for no apparent reason. Journalists have already been given guidelines on what they can and can’t report, and who they can and can’t interview.

Visitors. As you have mentioned, there are MAJOR problems in obtaining a VISA. If there are problems for a couple of hundred thousand visitors for they Olympics, I can’t imagine the situation when several million want to turn up for the cup.

Visitor restrictions. What will the millions of visitors do for the days they are not watching football? What will hundreds of thousands of fans do when they don’t get tickets to the match they want to see? China is placing restrictions on numbers of visitors allowed to popular tourist destinations during the games. How will the Chinese authorities cope for hundreds of thousands of boisterous football fans used to having civil rights?

Stadium restrictions. As I wrote in another thread:
Quote:
The Beijing organising committee has also restricted the size of national flags to 1m by 2m to ensure spectators do not block the vision of nearby fans.

Bans have also been slapped on musical instruments, whistles, long-handle umbrellas, animals - other than guide dogs - loudspeakers, radios and food and drink.

Drunkenness, nudity and gambling are also banned from Olympic venues.

China has already issued a range of restrictions on foreigners during the Games, including a ban on protests and sleeping outside during the Olympics.

It has also slashed the number of visas - and visit duration limits - to tourists.

Foreign journalists have also been warned they will not be permitted to interview members of the public without first lodging a form with officials.

Apparently Bibles are also going to be banned, though I don't see how they are going to do this, and this might be just the media blowing up the story because it seems a bit far fetched to me.
As far as Australia’s strong case for hosting the cup?

Adequate stadiums a real possibility.
Great atmosphere for fans. Adequate restaurants, pubs and touristy things for visitors to do.
Adequate infrastructure (Intercity Transport, City transport, Hospitals, 5 star accommodation, low end accommodation).

Huge experience in hosting major events.
I think most people will agree the Sydney Olympics were the best in recent times, arguably behind Barcelona.
Commonwealth Games were also very well run.
World youth day (several hundred thousand vistors to Australia and Sydney over a couple of days).
Rugby world cup.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM   #3888
rover3
BANNED

3 of 4 or 5 WCs in the Southern Hemisphere? Bring 'em on!!

Last edited by rover3; July 23rd, 2008 at 02:11 PM.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:50 AM   #3889
SeñorGuillermo
A&A

Likes (Received): 48

I want Mexico to host a world cup whitin the next 20 years.
USA hosted the cup on 1994 and Mexico on the 86th.
So it would be fair if we go before the USA.

Cheers.

Piensa como piensan los sabios, mas habla como habla la gente sencilla.

La esperanza es un sueño del hombre despierto.

-Aristóteles.-
SeñorGuillermo no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:57 AM   #3890
SeñorGuillermo
A&A

Likes (Received): 48

Mexico can easly host a World Cup whit stae of the art stadiums.
Currently we have 5 new stadiums under contruction all of them over 32,000 seats.
And some whit over 65,000.
Others are 45,000.
All under construction.

*And I think the shortest time line between a country hosting a cup was Mexcio 1970 and 1986.

Cheers.

Piensa como piensan los sabios, mas habla como habla la gente sencilla.

La esperanza es un sueño del hombre despierto.

-Aristóteles.-
SeñorGuillermo no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:04 AM   #3891
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

There's no way Mexico will get the World Cup a third time before the USA gets it a second time.

What 5 stadiums?

I can only name the new Chivas stadium and the Ciudad Juarez one. I also know of the Santos stadium but that's only 25,000.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:38 AM   #3892
theespecialone

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post

Secondly, even if the rule isn't relaxed, no one has to squeeze games into 7 or 8 stadiums.
1) Perth.
2) Perth.

3) Adelaide.
4) Melbourne.
5) Canberra.
6) Sydney.
7) Newcastle.
8) Gold Coast.
9) Brisbane.
10) Townsville.
you're from perth
theespecialone no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM   #3893
theespecialone

2022 is Asia's turn
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3894
woozoo

I'm from Melbourne.
It would be easier if Perth hosted an entire group. It would save players and fans traveling across the Nullabor.

For this to occur it would need two stadiums.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM   #3895
theespecialone

don't think perth has the demand for 2 stadiums

how long does it take to travel between perth and adelaide?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:13 PM   #3896
woozoo

Several hours by plane.

It has demand for a rectangular stadium.
Mostly for the rugby union team there, but also for the proposed Rugby league team.

Perth Glory crowds are too small at present for such a ground.

A rectangular ground also means Perth could host:
Rugby Union internationals.
Rugby league internationals.
Soccer internationals, which so far are absent from Western Australia due to no suitable ground.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM   #3897
Benjuk

Quote:
Firstly Benjuk, thankyou for replying and outlining your ideas.
No problem, I'm always happy to answer and will never hide behind silence.

Quote:
China's league is too poor to build so many stadiums.
It has a couple of teams which have crowds in the tens of thousands, most teams have crowds of 3,000 to 8,000, bottom teams have crowds of less than 1,000.
To be perfectly honest, I had never even bothered to look up attendances for football in China, I wasn't aware that they were so poor, but I'm not all that surprised. That said, if the authorities over there TELL the people to go, the people will go... If you know what I mean.

Quote:
FIFA would not allow China to build stadiums that will sit completely empty after the cup.
FIFA wasn’t happy about the white elephants in Japan and Korea. And at least those countries have leagues with much greater support than the Chinese League. Japan also has interest in Rugby and American Football which are played in some of the grounds. The ONLY use for the stadiums in China is 16 games a year in the soccer league per stadium, and several home internationals spread between the grounds.
Cuts both ways though, doesn't it? How often would a 'football specific' stadium anywhere other than the big 5 cities in Oz be used to anywhere near a 40k capacity..? Even in Perth and Adelaide, honestly, how often would more than 20k seats be required?

Quote:
The extremely high level of poverty in China would also mean that FIFA would not be happy with new stadiums being built for no purpose other than the World cup.
Frankly, for all their talk of urban regeneration, FIFA couldn't give a stuff about poverty levels - all that means to them is that they won't be selling any merchandise to those people.

Quote:
In footballing terms Australia is number 1 in Asia. Japan is number 2. China is number 10. Yes, 10 in Asia.
In terms of the world rankings, Australia is number 1, yes - but the fact is that Oz has only qualified for 2 world cup finals tournaments, and we got knocked out of the Asian Cup last year without much more than a whimper.

Quote:
what does this [population] have to do with Australia hosting a good world cup? Other than the much greater promotion of football in the host countries by having the world cup in China and USA.
I know it’s a long way back, but Chile, Sweden and Switzerland have hosted the cup. Much smaller than Australia. If a small country can provide the stadiums, facilities and infrastructure needed, whats holding it back?
Once again, it doesn't stop us hosting a great world cup - but it puts our bid behind other more attractive bids.

Forget Chile, Sweden and Switzerland - as you said, it's a long way back in a different age. FIFA didn't suss out commercialisation until just before Blatter took over. So, yes, it comes down to market expansion...

Europe gets regular finals to keep them happy - this makes sense, because if UEFA split away from FIFA, FIFA would be screwed, the only big draws they'd have would be Brazil and Argentina.

South Africa got it, and as a result gets to promote the game to the whole of Africa - Africans, by and large, appearing to take almost as much pride in being African as they do in their own individual nationality (I say that as an outsider, any Africans feel free to tell me I'm talking out my arse - I often do)

Australia's small population, and our lack of real connection with Asia (and distance from even our close neighbours), works heavily against us in this respect.

Quote:
This is a problem. As it is in China and USA. The intercity transport infrastructure is adequate in Australia.
Exactly, so our bid is no better than an American bid in this respect, although a lot better than a Chinese bid.

Quote:
Yes. USA has better stadiums than Australia.
But England had better facilities than Japan/Korea 2002, South Africa 2010 and Brazil 2014, and it had to wait to get the cup a second time. Because FIFA wants to spread the cup around the world, rather than host it in the same countries over and over.
England vs Japan/Korea in 2002, South Africa in 2010 and Brazil in 2014 is a red herring as England wasn't able to bid for any of these finals - 2002 was designation as non-European after France 98, 2010 was designated to Africa, and 2014 was designated to South America. The only country England has bid against for a second world cup was Germany, who got THEIR second world cup (and beat England principally because England stuffed up politically by supporting Blatter against Johansen a few years before the voting that UEFA had tied up).

Quote:
Two things are certain.
1) Only football powerhouse nations with very well performing national teams which have won the cup at least once have hosted the cup twice.
2) The shortest period of time between two hostings was 32 years for Germany.
Why would FIFA all of a sudden change its set in stone unwritten policy and give the cup to Japan after 20 years if there are strong bids from Australia and China?
Whilst I accept that Mexico were awarded their second World Cup by default, it still remains that they hosted twice in 16 years and have never won the world cup.

As for FIFA changing it's unwritten policy... They change their written policies regularly enough, so the unwritten ones should be a problem. Japan saved FIFA's blushes in 2002, picking up the slack that Korea couldn't handle. They've hosted half a world cup. They represent the biggest market in terms of cashed up populace in Asia. There are lots of commercial sponsorship possibilities for FIFA in Japan (in terms of major corporations based in the country). They already have better facilities than most other countries in Asia. It would be enormously tempting for FIFA to say 20 years is long enough.

Quote:
Australia isn't really bidding against European nations, but against CONCACAF and Asian nations.
True enough, but the title of this thread refers to 2018. Which will involve bidding by European nations.

Quote:
Firstly if by chance FIFA were to ease its rules for stadiums per city, Australia has fantastic stadiums for the cup.
Unlike most other countries with large population spread around the country, Australia's population is centered around several cities, which would all host games. Almost half the country lives in Melbourne and Sydney. Add to that Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Newcastle and Canberra and you have about 70% of the population represented. Every state except Tasmania (population less than 500,000) would games. Every city with metropolitan a population over 300,000 would have a game.
The NT would also be lacking representation... And couldn't many other smaller population countries say the same thing - that most of their population lives in a few big cities so can they double up on stadia per city?

Quote:
1) Perth.
2) Perth white elephant.
3) Adelaide.
4) Melbourne.
5) Canberra. white elephant
6) Sydney.
7) Newcastle.
8) Gold Coast.
9) Brisbane.
10) Townsville. white elephant

Plus other cities you mentioned.

I think, as do most other people, that 2022 and 2026 will go to Asia and CONCACAF.
I think that Asia would get it first for two reasons.
1) I can’t see European delegates giving the cup to USA after 28 years. It would bed a major dent in their pride, to have the US, a footballing minnow with little interest in the sport, being the nation with the shortest period of time between hosting the tournament. Lets face it, there is a lot of that sort of feeling around Europe, that the sport definitely belongs to them more than the USA.
2) There are more possible host nations in Asia than CONCACAF. After USA, who will host the next CONCACAF cup? Only possibility is Mexico, who have already hosted twice and don’t have the facilities.
In Asia, China and Australia area already bidding. You have mentioned UAE, India and Japan as other possibilities. Korea is another possibility in the future.
By giving the cup to Asia first, it allows the cup to return to Asia sooner, and opens up many more nations from Asia to bid sooner.

As far as China is concerned, there are MAJOR issues about hosting the cup there.
Pollution. Billions has been spent to clean up the air for the Olympics, without success. Factories have been closed or moved but air quality is still terrible. With more coal powered power stations being built, and car ales through the roof, pollution will only increase. While industry in Beijing can slow down while the Olympics are in town, there is no way China is going to close down 10 or 12 of its biggest cities for a month while the tournament is on. It would simply cripple the economy.
A large section of the Australian sports team is not participating in the opening ceremony so as to reduce the amount of time spent in Beijing.

Tibet Issue. The Tibet issue is not likely to go away. It has already been troublesome before the Olympics, it is interesting what will happen while they are on.

Civil rights. There have been many reports of mass arrests. Many more will surely be reported after the Olympics take place. Mosques have been shut down for no apparent reason. Journalists have already been given guidelines on what they can and can’t report, and who they can and can’t interview.

Visitors. As you have mentioned, there are MAJOR problems in obtaining a VISA. If there are problems for a couple of hundred thousand visitors for they Olympics, I can’t imagine the situation when several million want to turn up for the cup.

Visitor restrictions. What will the millions of visitors do for the days they are not watching football? What will hundreds of thousands of fans do when they don’t get tickets to the match they want to see? China is placing restrictions on numbers of visitors allowed to popular tourist destinations during the games. How will the Chinese authorities cope for hundreds of thousands of boisterous football fans used to having civil rights?
On the whole -
Agree regarding 2022 being an Asian year...
Agree that China has terrible problems in terms of civil rights, polution... However, FIFA have proven in the past that they don't care about civil rights (Blatter negotiating with leaders of countries with abysmal civil rights records at the same time that the rest of the world is shunning them for example).

Quote:
As far as Australia’s strong case for hosting the cup?

Adequate stadiums a real possibility.
Great atmosphere for fans. Adequate restaurants, pubs and touristy things for visitors to do.
Adequate infrastructure (Intercity Transport, City transport, Hospitals, 5 star accommodation, low end accommodation).

Huge experience in hosting major events.
I think most people will agree the Sydney Olympics were the best in recent times, arguably behind Barcelona.
Commonwealth Games were also very well run.
World youth day (several hundred thousand vistors to Australia and Sydney over a couple of days).
Rugby world cup.
All of the above events were run brilliantly - but the number of people travelling around the country shouldn't be underestimated. A few hundred thousand hitting a huge city for a one or two week event is one thing, several hundred thousand arriving and then bouncing around from city to city for a month is another. However, as I've said before, and will continue to say, Australia would host perfectly well.

I travel on Connex everyday, so forgive me for s******ing at the comment about city transport. ;-)
(love the over zealous censorship there, don't you? ^)

Quote:
I'm from Melbourne.
It would be easier if Perth hosted an entire group. It would save players and fans traveling across the Nullabor.

For this to occur it would need two stadiums.
Hosting an entire group doesn't solve the transport issue. I went to Germany in 2006 and spent the whole fortnight zig-zagging around the country because I had tickets for random fixtures rather than to follow specific teams (basically, I had what I could get). Imagine the nightmare of going to Townsville or a game, then having to jet over to Perth the next day, then get back to Sydney for the day after... Although I totally accept the argument that this is a lot easier for a few supporters than for 8000 followers of Sweden or Holland, for example... For the record, I suggested Perth being the two city venue on another thread some time ago.

Oh, and let's not do the point-by-point thing again, it's exhausting trying to remember where quotes start and stop, etc. ;-)
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM   #3898
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:

FIFA wasn’t happy about the white elephants in Japan and Korea.
I'm not sure FIFA care very much. As long as venues are built and meet FIFA requirements. FIFA only considers a proposal. A "legacy" obsessed FIFA would not have allowed 20 stadia to be used in 2002 in the first place.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:50 PM   #3899
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Oh, and let's not do the point-by-point thing again, it's exhausting trying to remember where quotes start and stop, etc. ;-)

I know. So much copy for an Oz 2018 /2022 that is NOT going to happen.

I mean, surely you guys have better things to do?
rover3 no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM   #3900
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Getting a Visa isnt any harder than anywhere else in my expereince providing you don't visit areas like Tibet. I'd guess one of China's big strenghts besides the possibility of being a large market would be organisation and infrastructure compaired to other devolping countries.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup