daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 11th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #3961
Iain1974

Likes (Received): 0

I was very surprised by large numbers of empty seats as well. There's over a billion people on the doorstep, so to speak, who would love to get into an event.
Iain1974 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #3962
Sea Toby

Likes (Received): 1

Frankly. football doesn't have a large following in East Asia. In Japan, Korea, and Taiwan its baseball, something the Europeans have no love for. In fact the love is so low, during the London Olympics baseball won't be a sport.

While most of the venues at Beijing will be empty, I fully expect to see sold out baseball games. The only problem is that the European television won't show the baseball games at all, or if they do it will be during the wee hours of the morning.
Sea Toby no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #3963
Iain1974

Baseball lost it's Olympic status full-stop. Nothing to do with it being in London.
Iain1974 no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #3964
cornelinho

:bash:

hy all new one here i overherd your posts and i wana say sometig to

1) i don't think that england will get 2018,in the last periode fifa and uefa selected mid-size or smal contries for organising suce turnaments, they whant to also improve infrastructure in that contrie and so on (south africa)... and england dosen't need that ... so contries like russia would be favored (not mid size but could use a better infrastucture)

2) if the dolar is smaler then the euro then asian contries suffer ... so european fans would be atracted...but what abaut the asian americans or african supporters? ...fifa wants to extend football over the planet not juest europe...

3) abaut the trak and field stadiums... fifa dosent care abaut that..but supporters say they suck... so a solution would be diging up... or covering them like austria and switzerland at euro 2008

but fifa has no problem... many finals wave been on a olympic stadium... 2002 had 7 because they ore 20 stadia, 2006 had 4 ,12 stadia.

but personaly i don't like the usa stadia... they are for american fotbal not soccer and they don't have roofs..a think they are ugly...

4)china over usa, because china never had a world cup, usa had one in the 94 + asia only had one fifa world cup... concacaf had 3 if i remember 2 mexico and 1 usa.

5)by moral thigs argentina-uruguay is favored for 2030... but fifa will decide.we live in hard cruel world so aniting is posible...

6) uefa will get 2018 so 2022-2026 wil be devided in this order asia then probably concacaf. or if uefa is demanding...one european contrie , because of what the other guy sad abaut the long periode .

7) i knwo my englis is horuble but i amnot an english speaker just an english user.
cornelinho no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #3965
MGM

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
If beijing host world cup 2022, can they use olympic stadium or does the world cup stadium have to be 100% football stadium without tracks and etc?
sure it can be an olympic stadium!

many world cup final matches took place in olympic stadiums:

berlim 2006
rome 1990
buenos aires 1978
munich 1972
london 1966
MGM no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #3966
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM View Post
sure it can be an olympic stadium!

many world cup final matches took place in olympic stadiums:

buenos aires 1978
????.....Nope
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #3967
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelinho View Post
but personaly i don't like the usa stadia... they are for american fotbal not soccer and they don't have roofs..a think they are ugly...
because you are new here, ill just tell you that this is one topic you shouldnt bring up, its been discussed to death. To sum up, we dont want roofs, we dont like roofs, we have absolutely no need for roofs, they are a waste of money to us, so we dont build them.
Old August 20th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #3968
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
because you are new here, ill just tell you that this is one topic you shouldnt bring up, its been discussed to death. To sum up, we dont want roofs, we dont like roofs, we have absolutely no need for roofs, they are a waste of money to us, so we dont build them.
I can understand that, I think the majority of people on here understand that American Football doesn't require roofs, but in relation to them being used to host the Fifa Football World Cup, a proper Football (soccer) Stadium should have a roof.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #3969
en1044
Unregistered User

^oh i understand that, i just didnt want someone to point out the roof issue with the wrong intention and basically hijack the thread
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:18 AM   #3970
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
I can understand that, I think the majority of people on here understand that American Football doesn't require roofs, but in relation to them being used to host the Fifa Football World Cup, a proper Football (soccer) Stadium should have a roof.
proper? There's nothing in FIFA's language that requires this.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM   #3971
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
proper? There's nothing in FIFA's language that requires this.
I said that a proper football stadium should have a roof. And it's true they should, anyone who likes and watches football will tell you that. That guy earlier said he wouldn't like the World Cup in America because they don't have roofs. And he has a point! The stadium's themselves might be amazing, they would probably suffice to following most of the FIFA regulations in regards to holding the world cup, but they are not proper football stadiums.

Now the Red Bulls new one, and the ones i've seen for D.C. united, they're good examples, but of course they would be being "soccer specific".

And no i'm not attempting by using the word proper to start an argument over Football being more "proper" than American Football.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:02 AM   #3972
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Toby View Post
Frankly. football doesn't have a large following in East Asia. In Japan, Korea, and Taiwan its baseball, something the Europeans have no love for. In fact the love is so low, during the London Olympics baseball won't be a sport.

While most of the venues at Beijing will be empty, I fully expect to see sold out baseball games. The only problem is that the European television won't show the baseball games at all, or if they do it will be during the wee hours of the morning.
Stacks of empty seats at the softball a couple of nights back - Japan vs Australia.

Empty seats at just about every event so far. Athletics appears to be full, but it's hard to tell from the camera angles and the darkness of most of the stands.

Human rights fiascos (labour camps for non-disirables & not one protest allowed in the specially set up 'protest parks').

Supporters being told to "move on" during the road cycling and the marathon.

I hope FIFA are watching.

(of course, those are negatives, a friend of mine is over there and says the locals are very welcoming & excited and the food and hotel are great).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:30 AM   #3973
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Dreaming?

The USA could easily host it right now without building any new stadiums, while China and Australia would have to build a lot of new stadiums just to even get close to the USA's bid. The USA already has 32 top-of-the-line stadiums with at least 60,000 seats. I'm sorry, but, the USA has the 2022 world cup.
u.s. is gonna' get it.....easily.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:33 AM   #3974
Benjuk

There's a body of opinion that the two things that scuppered England's bid in 2006 were arrogance and poor political skills, mainly caused by the arrogance of assuming we'd get the finals.

I wonder if there are any other arrogant nations believing they are sure to get the finals?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:05 AM   #3975
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
The USA already has 32 top-of-the-line stadiums with at least 60,000 seats. I'm sorry, but, the USA has the 2022 world cup.
Who gives a shit. Certainly not FIFA. Every single world cup hosting nations builds stadiums for world cups.

France 98 - several stadiums built and redeveloped
Japan Korea - most stadiums built from scratch some redeveloped
Germany 2006 - several stadiums built and redeveloped
South Africa 2010 - almost all stadiums built from scratch or redeveloped
Brazil 2014 - all stadiums built from scratch or seriously redeveloped

Thats part of the whole thing about spreading the cup around the world, and spreading the games around the host countries cities. To develop football infrastructure in various parts of the world.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:49 AM   #3976
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Who gives a shit. Certainly not FIFA. Every single world cup hosting nations builds stadiums for world cups.

France 98 - several stadiums built and redeveloped
Japan Korea - most stadiums built from scratch some redeveloped
Germany 2006 - several stadiums built and redeveloped
South Africa 2010 - almost all stadiums built from scratch or redeveloped
Brazil 2014 - all stadiums built from scratch or seriously redeveloped

Thats part of the whole thing about spreading the cup around the world, and spreading the games around the host countries cities. To develop football infrastructure in various parts of the world.

first of all, not every country hosting builds stadiums. USA '94? No stadiums built. If we host it in '16, no stadiums built.
your statement doesnt make any sense. im pretty sure the key is to NOT spend ridiculous amounts of money. Im sure the fact that the US has so many stadiums already built will play a LARGE part in the selection process. And of course, the fact that the US was selected to host the 2003 womens cup on short notice had nothing to do with all the stadiums that already existed here. Nope, FIFA doesnt care at all.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM   #3977
Vermeer

I think everything is depending on the development of the professional league in the US. If it once again is a failure, the finals will never be played in the US. If it develops properly and they also get a professional second league I think US will have a fair chance, because FIFA canít resist your money.
Vermeer no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:53 AM   #3978
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermeer View Post
I think everything is depending on the development of the professional league in the US. If it once again is a failure, the finals will never be played in the US. If it develops properly and they also get a professional second league I think US will have a fair chance, because FIFA canít resist your money.
If? Since Major League Soccer was launched in 1995, there are now 14 franchises. So that's a little more than one new team a year. I would say that's a great success.
Knitemplar no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:43 PM   #3979
woozoo

For the stadium thing, USA 94 is the only WC where stadiums weren't built. Obviously (its staring you in the face) it doesnt matter for FIFA. Like you said, if a country needs to build 10 stadiums from scratch which will sit empty after the cup, FIFA wouldnt like that, but as far as redeveloping existing stadiums and building one or two new ones, thats part of what the WC has become. Why do you think there is the one stadium per city rule? Its so stadiums are built in regions of host countries which have in the past missed out on major football infrastructure.
Just look at what has happened with EVERY other WC, new stadiums are built and existing ones upgraded.

As for the MLS, as far as world football leagues are concerned, its shit. For a nation of USA's size, the crowds are pathetic, the quality is poor, overall FIFA was expecting a lot more from the MLS
The league still PAYS for matches to be broadcast on TV.

What other league in any sport in any country PAYS tv channels to broadcast its matches???

Its still well behind the other big 4 leagues in the USA. It barely rates a mention on highlight shows, and still requires retired European stars on exorbitant unsustainable wages (Beckham) to get talked about.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM   #3980
woozoo

Oh, look at the A league in Australia, its three years old and has EIGHT teams. And two more franchises are entering next year.

Thats like... 2.5 franchises a year... which is like,... way better.
woozoo no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup