daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:28 PM   #4041
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelinho View Post
all the candidates... usa ,australia ,china, argentina/uruguay r bad candidates for european fans... as the maches would be brodcasted at 3-4 AM so ther is no escape...
No matter where it is some populace is shafted by the game times and/or travel, that's the way it goes and the price we pay for wanting global events. Somehow, methinks we'll adjust.

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM   #4042
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
No matter where it is some populace is shafted by the game times and/or travel, that's the way it goes and the price we pay for wanting global events. Somehow, methinks we'll adjust.
That's the thing with this site. It's populated by 16-year olds going on 12, who want their cake, and to eat it too. Sad. This board will have a very slow growth curve.
Knitemplar no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM   #4043
cornelinho

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
That's the thing with this site. It's populated by 16-year olds going on 12, who want their cake, and to eat it too. Sad. This board will have a very slow growth curve.
some of us r sorry that we r not inmates ... if u realy whant that...

but this is going off topic so lets ignor this and continue the discution...
cornelinho no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:25 PM   #4044
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

I was talking about traveling fans, that is fans actually going to the WC. While stadiums and facilities would be good quality in China, I think they would put on a poor show for supporters. With all the restrictions, over the top security measures, trouble getting visas, no go areas etc it would be at the most half as fun as what a WC should be for fans.

I remember watching thousands of fans with blow up kangaroos, flags, horns, face paint, instruments, banners walking together during Germany 2006. I cant see that happening in China.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:48 PM   #4045
cornelinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
I was talking about traveling fans, that is fans actually going to the WC. While stadiums and facilities would be good quality in China, I think they would put on a poor show for supporters. With all the restrictions, over the top security measures, trouble getting visas, no go areas etc it would be at the most half as fun as what a WC should be for fans.

I remember watching thousands of fans with blow up kangaroos, flags, horns, face paint, instruments, banners walking together during Germany 2006. I cant see that happening in China.
Germany was shure that the fans would have a good behavior,

but China wanted to show the world its best face and they took even some unnecesary mesures , but i am shure that at a WC they won't be the same.

at the euro in austria/switzerland , at a game austria-croatia ,a fan invaded the stadium in the first half, haw would the olympic commite feel if at the 100 final when Usain Bolt won it in 9.69 a fan enterd the field and go to aclamate bolt before the race started or in the midle of it?
cornelinho no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:17 PM   #4046
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1974 View Post
But the point people are trying to make is that there are just a handful of teams in MLS and attendances had been relatively stagnant, even taking into account the free tickets to boost crowds.
Of course, I accept, that many potential supporters may live too far from the nearest team to be able to make regular trips.

The figure of 3.27M isn't bad, but compared to population it's about 1%. Compare this to England ,58% Scotland, 79% both for league only and you must try to understand why overseas folks are underwhelmed by MLS.

FYI
Baseball ~ 25%
College Football ~ 12%
College Basketball ~ 9%
NBA ~ 7%
NHL ~ 7%
NFL ~ 5%
Underwhelmed.
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763064

Final Numbers
Year Average Median %<10K %>20k
1996 17406 15093 21.9% 26.3%
1997 14619 12733 25.0% 16.3%
1998 14312 11871 26.6% 16.1%
1999 14282 12973 32.3% 15.1%
2000 13756 12690 34.4% 12.5%
2001 14962 13431 26.6% 17.7%
2002 15821 14108 17.1% 18.6%
2003 14898 13641 23.3% 18.0%
2004 15559 13285 24.7% 25.3%
2005 15108 12619 27.1% 17.7%
2006 15504 14175 18.8% 18.8%
2007 16770 15353 8.2% 29.7%

Look at the Median...that's not stagnant. It's growing! And as for free tickets? Tell me, how many tickets do la doce pay for in la bombonera or the ultras in the san siro?

If you're going to bring up the percentage of the population. You might as well pick a country of similar size to the States. Britain could easily fit inside California alone. Try Russia, what's their overall attendance? Or Italy (smaller than the YS, but still bigger than Scotland)?

Wow, you're really talking out of your rear end. Anyone can do that.

"I mean, the Premier league's avg attendance is only 35 thousand. I mean it's not bad, considering theres just a handful of teams that draw well, you can see why Americans are underwhelmed by the 'greatest show on earth'." The NFL draws way more while their teams only play 8 games a season.

Where the hell do you get 56%.?..total attendance for the Premier league is 13 million. London alone has 10 million. I don't even have to look it up to know you're full of it.
SIC no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:35 PM   #4047
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
I said that a proper football stadium should have a roof. And it's true they should, anyone who likes and watches football will tell you that. That guy earlier said he wouldn't like the World Cup in America because they don't have roofs. And he has a point! The stadium's themselves might be amazing, they would probably suffice to following most of the FIFA regulations in regards to holding the world cup, but they are not proper football stadiums.

Now the Red Bulls new one, and the ones i've seen for D.C. united, they're good examples, but of course they would be being "soccer specific".

And no i'm not attempting by using the word proper to start an argument over Football being more "proper" than American Football.
Americans don't have proper football stadiums with a roof and natural grass.

Or with removeable pitches.

Or moveable roofs

Or in Houston.

Or in Seattle

Yeah...so what firm built Emirates and Wembley? Was it HOK...yeah..I think it was. So where are they based? The US? Yeah...I think so.

Did they also build all of these? Yeah.
Do all of these fit regulation soccer standards? They do!!!

Did I mention that they're renovating Dolphins stadium with either a roof or a dome?
How about giant stadium selling out for US vs Argentina?

Wasn't 1994 the highest attended World Cup? yes.

Are stadiums on average bigger now? yes, with tons more suites and luxury boxes!
SIC no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM   #4048
Iain1974

Total League attendance includes the other professional leagues. The 58% is correct.
NFL draws more because there are fewer teams per population. Simple logic.

MLS figures are improving. But MLS is still a tiny fish in a big pond.

There's no need for personal insults. If you believe your points are valid then re-enforce your argument.
Iain1974 no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:54 PM   #4049
SIC

Quote:
Total League attendance includes the other professional leagues. The 58% is correct.

There's no need for personal insults. If you believe your points are valid then re-enforce your argument.
Oh...the FOOTBALL LEAGUE.
72 teams.

Yes, that's a valid comparison to a 14 team MLS. *rollseyes*
SIC no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:01 PM   #4050
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
But let's put that into correct context. The population figures that are relevant are metro area figures. I'm guessing there's an entire 1/3 of the US population that's more than 3 hours drive from any NFL franchise.

It also helps that the NFL plays fewer games and (almost) only on weekends. Far easier to be a fan when the physical/time commitment is much smaller.
Quote:
Perhaps, but I feel safe in saying MLS isn't a minnow, either.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:52 PM   #4051
Iain1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Oh...the FOOTBALL LEAGUE.
72 teams.

Yes, that's a valid comparison to a 14 team MLS. *rollseyes*
Before the silliness and crying started........

I was comparing the place of MLS in domestic sporting affections. Low.

The comparison with the football league/premier league was more to show how you need to add up the top sports in the US to achieve a similar level of interest.

That demonstrated that why the MLS garners little respect outside of the US. Or, in it.

So using the MLS as an example as to why the US 'deserves' a World Cup is sheer stupidity.
Iain1974 no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #4052
Knitemplar

Quote:
Before the silliness and crying started........

So using the MLS as an example as to why the US 'deserves' a World Cup is sheer stupidity.
Actually, to compare MLS figures withe other domestic sports -- in pursuit of another World Cup -- is sheer stupidity also. What do the other sports have to do with football/soccer? They are ALL THRIVING well!!

The gauge to measure, if you put aside your petulant silliness is that ever since the league was founded in 1995, there has been one NEW TEAM added each year. That is the gauge of soccer's success in the U.S.

And let me ask you this: how come BEFORE there was EVEN an MLS in 1994, the 1994 World Cup in the US -- with only 24 teams participating in THAT tournament -- racked up the LARGEST ATTENDANCE figures, still UNMATCHED by any World Cup since? Because the U.S. can fill the stadia, be it an Olympics or a World Cup.

With an MLS now, with 32 teams in contention, DO YOU THINK US audiences would respond ANY LESS for the 2022 World Cup? Why don't you come over to USA 2022 which will happen anyway, regardless of all the amateur prognostications here.
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #4053
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
the 1994 World Cup in the US -- with only 24 teams participating in THAT tournament -- racked up the LARGEST ATTENDANCE figures, still UNMATCHED by any World Cup since? Because the U.S. can fill the stadia, be it an Olympics or a World Cup.
Largest attendance doesn't mean that this world cup was the best!
In Germany 2006 ALL tickets were sold -and millions celebrated this wonderful world cup in the STREETS of the host cities (and elsewhere in the country)
Do you think that millions of Americans will dance in the streets celebrating the world cup matches?
GEwinnen no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #4054
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
In Germany 2006 ALL tickets were sold -and millions celebrated this wonderful world cup in the STREETS of the host cities (and elsewhere in the country)
Do you think that millions of Americans will dance in the streets celebrating the world cup matches?
Yes, Especially for Mexico, Italy, Germany and England.
The country is full of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen people from those countries.

Also...pretty much every other CONCACAF representative.

Plus, we'd be full of tourists from various countries. Especially if the dollar is still weak.

You guys are just haters. :P

The United States is more cosmopolitan that you give it credit for.
This reminds me of English news crew interviewing people in times square in 2002 to prove that no one cared. Except...pretty much everyone knew the US was playing Germany.

I mean...the Chicago Fire draw around 18k-19k a game. But when Mexico played the US for the Gold Cup final they sold out soldier field. Hell, at Barca this summer it was around 40k and that was without any real promotion(tv or radio).

You really don't want to admit that the US no longer ignores the sport and it's actually making strides. They've gone from "Will we qualify for the world cup" to "Why can't we beat the Dutch/English/Germans and can we stop bunkering so much?".
With the tournament, it's without a doubt we can host it. It's just a matter of when. Pretty much every new NFL stadium is built with soccer in mind. Just face it, theres no reason not to host the games here again other than Euro-centrism (whiney "I can't take the train to the game and get back in a single weekend...oh well...you've had way more world cups than any other continent..deal with it.).
SIC no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:24 AM   #4055
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2747

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
(whiney "I can't take the train to the game and get back in a single weekend...).
This is an advantage of a world cup in Europe I love very much.

Quote:
oh well...you've had way more world cups than any other continent..deal with it.
Sry, but F O O T B A L L is an european sport, invented in England and spread all over Europe from there. European Nations won 9 out of 18 World Cups, guess, who will be the first World Cup Winner outside from Europe & South America? I dont't believe that this will happen in our lifetimes.

For this reasons Europe deserved every single World Cup .
Fifa awarded the 1994 WC to US to boost football in your country, but the results were poor.
GEwinnen no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #4056
Knitemplar

Quote:
:

Fifa awarded the 1994 WC to US to boost football in your country, but the results were poor.
As I said...that's why you are here -- an armchair prognosticator, 2nd-guesser; and the pros are where it really happens.

Get a real life, GEwinnem.

Last edited by Knitemplar; September 4th, 2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #4057
Knitemplar

Quote:

BEST is a matter of choice. For people who attended it, it was THEIR BEST -- and you have NO RIGHT to take that away from them.

Why do you KEEP COMPARING World Cups in Europe with those elsewhere? Korea-Japan 2002 was different from Germany 2006. Duh!! Was Beijing 2008 the same as Athens 2004? Duhh!!

That's why THESE are global events passed around -- so that each one will have a different flavor -- in case you hadn't noticed.

WHich is why those people are on their respective IOC and FIFA boards, and you are here on a pathetic chat forum with your head buried in the sand. Leave the choosing to the pros.
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #4058
Zorba
Stadium Fan

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
In 1994 football was still a pretty unknown sport in the US compared to more popular sports like basketball, baseball, american football, etc...

But with the introduction of the MLS and the improvement of the US national team soccer has really been on the rise in the US recently. In addition to the increased domestic fan support,add on the fact that since 1994 some great stadiums have been built that can host soccer matches.

Add on again the huge amount of ethnic groups in the US from virtually any country in the world who along with travelling fans would support other participating countries, and its pretty obvious that the US is a pretty perfect place to host another world cup.....

My ideal Host cities list:

Boston
New York
Philadelphia
Washington D.C.-Baltimore (same metro area)
Miami
Chicago
Charlotte
St. Louis
Houston
Phoenix
Los Angeles

I would be tempted to put Atlanta somewhere in the list, but the lack of a major stadium and the fact that other areas of the south such as North Carlonia are more "soccer crazy" influenced me to pick Charlotte.
Seattle

Last edited by Zorba; September 4th, 2008 at 03:03 AM.
Zorba no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #4059
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Sry, but F O O T B A L L is an european sport, invented in England and spread all over Europe from there. European Nations won 9 out of 18 World Cups, guess, who will be the first World Cup Winner outside from Europe & South America? I dont't believe that this will happen in our lifetimes.

Every WC? You mean like US 94? Japan/Korea? Mexico? Uraguay? South Africa?

I commend you for sticking to your opinions, but then again so did Hitler. That didn't make him right, just pompous. If you insist I carrying this bias and elitism then a) thanks for deflecting such thoughts from us Yanks, and b)may I suggest you should write Msr. Platini and ask UEFA to secede from FIFA.

Cheers!
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #4060
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
My ideal Host cities list:
I would be tempted to put Atlanta somewhere in the list, but the lack of a major stadium and the fact that other areas of the south such as North Carlonia are more "soccer crazy" influenced me to pick Charlotte.
I live near Atlanta and couldn't agree with your sentiment more. We're improving, but it's not quite there yet compared to other places.

Also, you left off that small town called Chicago.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup