daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 4th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #4061
Zorba
Stadium Fan

Likes (Received): 2

@Gunner:

Wow, I can't believe I forgot that......lol.

Add in Chicago, take out Detroit. Chicago is a bigger midwestern city, more beautiful, safer, and has a bigger soccer history (the Fire were one of the original MLS teams), plus they have a beautiful stadium like Soldier field that can host soccer games (USA vs. England 2005)

also....

Add in Phoenix, take out Dallas. Phoenix shouldn't be left out, it is a really nice city with an amazing stadium. Also, Texas already has a representative with Houston which as is the case with Chicago is a bigger soccer town than Dallas, plus Reliant field is amazing, and has already hosted tons of soccer games.
Zorba no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #4062
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Chicago is on there.

What my friend, Zorba, left out is that other HOTBED of soccer, the San Francisco - San Jose Bay Area.

How could you leave out Stanford, the one site inthe US that was host to both 1984 Los Angeles soccer events and the 1994 World Cup?
Knitemplar no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #4063
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2747

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Every WC? You mean like US 94? Japan/Korea? Mexico? Uraguay? South Africa?

I commend you for sticking to your opinions, but then again so did Hitler. That didn't make him right, just pompous. If you insist I carrying this bias and elitism then a) thanks for deflecting such thoughts from us Yanks, and b)may I suggest you should write Msr. Platini and ask UEFA to secede from FIFA.

Cheers!
Europe hosted 10 World Cups from 1934-2006, Europe deserved to host all this 10 World cups.
The game is now popular in many contries outside Europe & S.A., so they deserved it to host a World Cup.
I would commend a world cup in the USA in 2022, following the rotation between the confederations it would be concacaf's turn.

btw, don't mention Hitler, he's dead since 1945 and this is o.k. !
GEwinnen no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #4064
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

MLS is shit. Off the top of your head, name 30 players that play in the league. Even try 20, or 10. My guess is most of you probably cant. Ask any soccer fan around the world to name 30 players in the premier league and after some thought im sure they would get there. While it is growing it most certainly is a minnow. It has none of the worlds best players. It is a small league in terms of number of teams. It has very weak attendance especially considering USA population. It barely rates a mention on TV highlight shows and is not respected by many American soccer fans.
The english second league in football has higher attendance than the MLS.
Average 17,022 vs 16,770. Total 9,396,144 vs 3,270,210.

In response to an earlier question from a week or so ago by Gunnerjacket, I know that FIFA is/was dissapointed with the MLS and soccer in USA after the WC in 1994 from reading articles in magazines and on the internet. Basically they were hoping for a lot more. Its not a secret, dont get so offended.

Cornelinho what makes you think that German officials were sure fans would be on good behaviour? I was under the impression they were expecting trouble at several matches hence the importation of hundereds of extra police from other parts of the country. If anything football fans cause more trouble than middle aged wealthy olympics fans.

As far as China is concerned, I dont see how you think that the security situation will improve for a WC. Olympics fans and soccer fans are two different things. Many olympics fans travel in smaller groups, with varied age groups and arne't in such a boysterous mood as soccer fans. In Beijing you had family members who were not allowed to watch their kids in the road cycling from good vantage points for security reasons. And thats the cycling. The whole course was fenced off. Compare that to the tour de france and you get an idea of the security at Beijing. No drums or instruments at stadiums. No drunkeness. Where will 20,000 or so fans watch the soccer when they dont get tickets?
While im sure its possible for China to host the event, I also certain that even if things went smoothly with no major security problems, it wouldnt be as rewarding an experience if it were held in China than in basically any other realistic candidate.

Last edited by woozoo; September 4th, 2008 at 06:10 AM.
woozoo está en línea ahora  
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #4065
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Woozoo, bitching about the lack of names in the MLS is dangerous when you consider that the only 'names' who've shown up in the A-League have been either fat (Jardel), tired (Romario) or injured (Juninho).

The A-League and the MLS have a lot in common. Both are new leagues doing a lot better than expected to establish themselves after the failure of previous leagues. The one thing against the MLS in terms of FIFA's approval for a World Cup is that they don't have FIFA's much wanted promotion/relegation system (the same thing counts against our A-League).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #4066
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
MLS is shit. Off the top of your head, name 30 players that play in the league. Even try 20, or 10. My guess is most of you probably cant. Ask any soccer fan around the world to name 30 players in the premier league and after some thought im sure they would get there. While it is growing it most certainly is a minnow. It has none of the worlds best players. It is a small league in terms of number of teams. It has very weak attendance especially considering USA population. It barely rates a mention on TV highlight shows and is not respected by many American soccer fans.
Fine, name for me 30 players in the Portuguese Superliga. Or 30 players in the SPL.

Saying MLS has none of the best players is pretty vague, as they harbor plenty of athletes who are on national teams and have featured in World Cup play. Does the league have the top 30 in the world? No, but those guys only feature in 5, maybe six leagues, and most of them are in but 3-4 leagues. So any comparison of MLS to the EPL will be one sided, but that's not who the MLS is trying to be in the near-term so it's an unfair comparison. Right now MLS is probably searching for a spot among the ranks of Turkey, Portugal, Greece and, most importantly, Mexico. They must learn to walk before they can run.

And, again, harping on attendance in comparison to total population is also disingenuous, because it fails to account for the variety of factors involved. Most notably, the role of the game in each nation's culture and history. Soccer is imbued into the US psyche the way it is for other places, just like baseball and basketball haven't taken over in countries where that's a newer, less popular game. Different people have different tastes.

BTW the way, why is it people only use the "attendance/population" angle to criticize the US but don't give a d*** about pro soccer in more populous China or India?

Quote:
In response to an earlier question from a week or so ago by Gunnerjacket, I know that FIFA is/was dissapointed with the MLS and soccer in USA after the WC in 1994 from reading articles in magazines and on the internet. Basically they were hoping for a lot more. Its not a secret, dont get so offended.
Wishing and hoping for more is vastly different from having a level of professional, realistic expectation, such as you originally inferred. We'd love for MLS to be bigger but know it will take some time. Especially considering how FIFA officials have generally praised the current commissioner, the new facilities and how MLS has helped support the exposure of teams and leagues from around the globe within the US. FIFA has seen the larger contracts MLS has landed and have been openly supportive of the league. At least as we've seen. If you've got something that shows where FIFA has been openly disappointed with MLS I'd love to see it.
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #4067
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

heres a suggestion woozoo for you to use in the future. When you start a thread comparing world cup bids or leagues or anything, you cant be biased. As the OP, you should shut up and let the thread be. Dont start a thread comparing WC bids but strike down the US every time they're mentioned. Or maybe you just dont understand how message boards work.
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #4068
woozoo

The a league is also poor when compared to the big European leagues.
The MLS and A league share many similarities: over saturated sports market, best domestic talent play overseas, lack of exposure in media, lower standard leagues compared to Europe (ties in with the no star players thing).
The big difference is that Australia has a population of 21 million, USA has a population of 300 million. Average league attendance is almost identical between the two leagues (both around 16 or 17 thousand). USA also has had the WC in 94 to kickstart the hype and promotion in that country.

You would need to compare Australias league to a country of similar size, lets say Netherlands or Korea (I know its population is around 40 mil). Average attendance in those leagues is 18 and 12 thousand respectively. The best dutch and Korean players also go to the bigger leagues to play football, as do Australians. For Australias size, the league is actually doing quite well with much better attendance than leagues in Romania and Poland. Its main problem is that it currently only has 8 teams which is way too small, but two are joining next year (Goald Coast and Townsville), with Canberra and Woollongong planning for 2010, and another two teams expected by 2012 (These would probably have to be second teams from Melbourne and Sydney which might be difficult).
What Im saying is that for Americas size and money you would expect a much stronger league (as FIFA was realistically hoping for).

As far as naming the players, I was asking some of the forumers here, which are americans with an obvious interest in football, to name players in their own league. I only know 1 or 3 players from scotland and portugal, but Im not from there so it doesnt really count. To be honest off the top of my head I could probably name 30 players in the A league, and no more. But if I though hard I could probably name 50 in the premier league, so obviously I have more interest in the English league than my own countries.

Saying that soccer doesnt have such a strong place in American culture cant be used as an excuse, because thats exactly what FIFA were hoping to change by giving US the 94 WC. Obviously it wont happen overnight but from what I know they were expecting more. The same could be said in Australia where the biggest four sports are cricket, AFL, rugby and rubgy league. But like I said this cant be used as an excuse.

I have used the population argument in regards to China, but not in regards to India because they arent bidding.

Ill take back my comment that the MLS is shit. It isn't. Like you said its quality and attendance is on par with several European league which could only be considered good quality. But when some forumers are crapping on about how great the MLS is, I though I should state my opinion.

Personally I think the big thing holding the MLS and A league back is that people in both countries are used to their sporting teams and leagues to be best in the world. USA is the best in Baseball basketball and Football. Australia is the best in cricket AFL and Rugby league. Thier leagues in those sports are also of the highest quality. So citizens arent as enthusiastic about their soccer leagues which are well behind the big four leagues in Europe. At least the Turkish and Greek teams get to play against the big clubs in and occasionaly beat them in Euro competitions. Im almost certain that American and Australian teams would have more support if they particiapted in the Uefa cup or smoething (I realise this is a complete impossibility)
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #4069
woozoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
I have 1 word for woohoo: BIG LOOSER.

I ignore generally it.
Nice one Rover3 You should get a sticker for originality.

Now, go play with your crayons and bubble wrap.

Quote:
heres a suggestion woozoo for you to use in the future. When you start a thread comparing world cup bids or leagues or anything, you cant be biased. As the OP, you should shut up and let the thread be. Dont start a thread comparing WC bids but strike down the US every time they're mentioned. Or maybe you just dont understand how message boards work.
Im entitled to an opinion, and as far as I know am entitled to air it. To be honest this was the first thread I started and I dont know the rules. If I had to sit here and not voice my opinion on the topic I would have never started th thread because I wanted to discuss it, not just read about it.

Originally I thought USA would never get the WC in 2022 because I thought it was too soon after 1994, but due to forum opinion I have changed my stance on this (which is what forums are partially about in a way isnt it?), and if you read some of my previous posts you will realise that.
Old September 4th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #4070
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
What I'm saying is that for Americas size and money you would expect a much stronger league (as FIFA was realistically hoping for).
Again, the difference between wishing and hoping here is a matter of sensibility. To claim FIFA was "realistically" hoping for more due to USA's $ is to assume throwing money around guarantees success, when sport regularly shows that's not always the case. It may be the rule but exceptions abound. More importantly, you go on to recognize things that explain MLS struggles or would help both the A League and MLS prosper, things that are beyond the control of these respective leagues. So if you can acknowledge these things take time to change and influence culture, then time must be given. Has the A League advanced more quickly? Absolutely. But I also feel safe in suggesting MLS has a greater ceiling and is moving in the right direction to reach that ceiling.

I think we're also failing to recognize a series of small but important administrative mistakes MLS has made in the early selections of cities, facilities, owners and even team names. Meager efforts to truly engage the public has cost two communities their franchises damaged MLS' image, something it had to overcome during its brief tenure. It also doesn't help that the league is directly paired with the nation's (unfair) expectations of the USMNT. The abysmal showing in France was another blow to the league yet was something beyond it's control.

Quote:
As far as naming the players, I was asking some of the forumers here, which are americans with an obvious interest in football, to name players in their own league.
Your original quote again inferred a comparison to the EPL in that "any soccer fan around the world" could name the stars in England. Hence my interpretation. But, I'd be remiss if I didn't play along, so...
(Apologies for spelling errors)

Beckahm
Landy-cakes Donovan
Blanco
Tayler Twellman
Steve Ralston
Shalrie Joseph (recalled for the injury)
Chris Albreit
Jamie Moreno
Brian Ching
Dwayne De Rosario
Pat Onstad
Edson Buddle
Juan Pablo Angel
Ante Razov
Zach Thorton
Frank Jedjuk
Pablo Maestroeni
Sasha Victorine (what a great name!)
Joe Cannon
Amado Guevera

I also know Reyna, Altidore and Adu are no longer with the league for one reason or another. What's that, 20? See, I support the local leagues!
Quote:
I have used the population argument in regards to China, but not in regards to India because they arent bidding.
Your comments regarding MLS go beyond the bid status, however, which I think is why I and others responded so vigorously. Saying the MLS is bad is different from saying the bid isn't worthy.
Quote:
Im almost certain that American and Australian teams would have more support if they particiapted in the Uefa cup or smoething (I realise this is a complete impossibility)
I agree that international tournaments are a great marriage of building local support while luring the fans of other, bigger leagues. Thus far the CONCACAF CL and Super Liga efforts have made little progress for MLS, but some of this is scheduling and a matter of educating the general fans. MLS calendar still isn't as entrenched and clear in the US sporting the landscape as compared with countries where soccer is king.

Biggest benefit will come when US and Australia have produced a full generation of two with a built in recognition of the local leagues and teams. Stability will go a long way to discrediting the critics and building support from the general public. Hence the appeal of the stadium push in the US: They may not be grand, but they're ours and they'll be here for a long time!

Last edited by GunnerJacket; September 4th, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
GunnerJacket no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #4071
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post

My ideal Host cities list:

Boston
New York
Philadelphia
Washington D.C.-Baltimore (same metro area)
Miami
Chicago
Charlotte
St. Louis
Houston
Phoenix
Los Angeles
St. Louis? Not with their crappy dome...
hngcm no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #4072
theespecialone

Likes (Received): 0

australia 2022

go woozoo!
theespecialone no está en línea  
Old September 12th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #4073
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

Today I watched a documentery about German football and German football history. And the subject came to 2006 WC. Beckenbauer was talking, he said "getting 2006 was very important to us, because we wanted to host it after union of Germany and make a good restart with new stadiums and 2006 was our last chance because World Cup won't come to Europe for a long time. 2010 will be in Africa, 2014 in Brasil and 2018 will probably go to Australia". Franz Beckenbauer thinks (howcome) 2018 will be in Australia.
Kuvvaci no está en línea  
Old September 12th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #4074
woozoo

I have no idea. Maybe he thought Australia was part of the oceania confederation, and believed that FIFA would make sure that all confederations get to host the cup by 2018. Australia is part of Asia, and there is absolutely no country in oceania that could host a WC.

Personally I cant see 2018 being anywhere else other than Europe.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM   #4075
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

FA appoint David Beckham and John Barnes to 2018 World Cup bid

The Football Association have appointed David Beckham and John Barnes as vice-presidents to work on the 2018 World Cup bid. Beckham and Barnes will take up ambassadorial roles to support the newly-formed Executive Board as they try to secure the tournament for England.

Beckham played an ambassadorial role in securing the 2012 Olympics for London and his global profile will be huge asset to the 2018 team.

“I’m proud to be part of The FA’s 2018 World Cup bid and will do everything I can to help bring the tournament to England,” Beckham said.

“I was able to play my part in the London 2012 Olympic bid and throughout my career have witnessed the difference sport makes to people’s lives all over the world.

“Our fans are the best in the world and they deserve to watch the greatest tournament in our country,” he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Football.html

(good news for the English bid - they really want the tournament!)
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM   #4076
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Asia is very important for FIFA, two thirds of viewers of 2022 WC were in Asia (due to hosts being in good time zone for prime time viewing). Australia sits in good time zone for Asia. FIFA gives ticket makings to hosts, but keeps all TV revenue for itself, so this is where most its money comes from.

I really cant see Japan hosting the first, AND second WC in Asia. So that leaves China as competition. After the recent difficulties before the Olympic games, FIFA will have its doubts.
Also, I doubt countries such as Japan, South Korea and Vietnam, who have a very strained relationship with China, would rather see the WC there than Australia.
After the 2004 Asian Cup final in Beijing, where Japan won, there were riots in the city (Chinese fans weren't happy there long time rival lost).

[/url]
What difficulties? The only difficulties I saw were primarily political and I don't know if there is any reason to think that FIFA is more righteous then the IOC in terms of caring about policies of host countries.
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #4077
mr_mo_7

I hope that the 2022 World Cup will be jointly hosted by Qatar and the Emirates.
mr_mo_7 no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #4078
renco
Grad heroj

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mo_7 View Post
I hope that the 2022 World Cup will be jointly hosted by Qatar and the Emirates.
No alchohol,I think fans would disagree.
renco no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #4079
cornelinho

personaly i dont see australia in this run for world cup... usa has the first chance... as fifa whants money ... while china... they will have to get 7 new footbal only stadiums... but korea and japag did it so china will to.
##################
##################

Romania
cornelinho no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #4080
Joćo Paulo
Vitória/Vila Velha-Brazil

Likes (Received): 77

I think Australia would be a nice host.
Joćo Paulo no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags