daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #4081
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

I don't understand how Qatar can think it will get a world cup its tiny. Does anyone know what their bid would be?
Kobo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #4082
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Emirates and Qatar jointly have currently two stadiums between them that are over 40,000 (both are under 51,000). Both have running tracks around them.

All other stadiums in the countries are under 30,000.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/middle_...es/qatar.shtml
http://www.worldstadiums.com/middle_...ries/uae.shtml

While possible that Qatar could build another 7 or 8 stadiums, they would all be white elephants, big time.

From what I know its no longer a Qatar UAE double bid, but an individual Qatar bid.
woozoo está en línea ahora  
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #4083
theespecialone

Likes (Received): 0

emirates and qatar are too small
theespecialone no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #4084
Chamal nr. 1

I really hope that a african country will get soon again!

Morocco will be a great host!
Chamal nr. 1 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:15 AM   #4085
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamal nr. 1 View Post
I really hope that a african country will get soon again!

Morocco will be a great host!
It will be a looong time before Africa hosts again. 2018 will likely go to England. I expect 2022 to go to the US. 2026 will go to Asia (Australia/China) and 2030 goes back to Europe (Spain/Portugal?). 2034 will be a chance for Africa, but another Asia WC with the lose of 2026 hosting is a possibility.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:12 AM   #4086
jmlagunebrio
Jesús Manuel

Likes (Received): 148

Mexico could be..... we have new stadiums and new ones are in construction
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:30 AM   #4087
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Millions of naive and wealthy tourists in Mexico for a month? Talk about a field day for all the kidnappers
JYDA no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:53 AM   #4088
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlagunebrio View Post
Mexico could be..... we have new stadiums and new ones are in construction
Problem for Mexico is that it has already hosted two World Cups within the past 38 years. Its turn won't come around again for quite a few years.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:50 AM   #4089
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Emirates and Qatar jointly have currently two stadiums between them that are over 40,000 (both are under 51,000). Both have running tracks around them.

All other stadiums in the countries are under 30,000.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/middle_...es/qatar.shtml
http://www.worldstadiums.com/middle_...ries/uae.shtml

While possible that Qatar could build another 7 or 8 stadiums, they would all be white elephants, big time.

From what I know its no longer a Qatar UAE double bid, but an individual Qatar bid.
I still have a feeling that with the Emirates various commercial deals with FIFA, and the incredible spending going on in that country, coupled with the (allegedly) corrupt nature of FIFA's management, it's not outrageous to think that FIFA could change the rules for a one off world cup to be hosted in a 'World Cup City' consisting of a bunch of purpose built indoor air-conditioned 50k stadiums.

The same venues to be used for future major sporting events (rugby/cricket world cups, an international round of the EPL played entirely in the UAE for examples), music festivals, etc.

Outrageous, unlikely, etc., but not out of the question.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:12 AM   #4090
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

I wouldn't rule it out either seeing as how the UAE just has trouble finding enough ways to spend all their oil money. Plus we all know that FIFA execs like Jack Warner sends his votes to whoever bribes him the most and/or succumbs to his blatant blackmail. Just look at what England had to do to get his votes.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM   #4091
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Don't expect UAE to host. The huge drop in the price of oil has really hurt them and has put their current projects in jeopardy.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:09 AM   #4092
CanadianSkyScraper

Likes (Received): 39

Canada why not?
CanadianSkyScraper no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM   #4093
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSkyScraper View Post
Canada why not?
Same reason Australia won't get it, I suspect. No justification for the stadia, no long term use for them.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:50 PM   #4094
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Same reason Australia won't get it, I suspect. No justification for the stadia, no long term use for them.
Not so true, Canadian rules football gets big enough crowds to fill the stadiums and theres enough cities to go around.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM   #4095
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
The a league is also poor when compared to the big European leagues.
The MLS and A league share many similarities: over saturated sports market, best domestic talent play overseas, lack of exposure in media, lower standard leagues compared to Europe (ties in with the no star players thing).
The big difference is that Australia has a population of 21 million, USA has a population of 300 million. Average league attendance is almost identical between the two leagues (both around 16 or 17 thousand). USA also has had the WC in 94 to kickstart the hype and promotion in that country.

You would need to compare Australias league to a country of similar size, lets say Netherlands or Korea (I know its population is around 40 mil). Average attendance in those leagues is 18 and 12 thousand respectively. The best dutch and Korean players also go to the bigger leagues to play football, as do Australians. For Australias size, the league is actually doing quite well with much better attendance than leagues in Romania and Poland. Its main problem is that it currently only has 8 teams which is way too small, but two are joining next year (Goald Coast and Townsville), with Canberra and Woollongong planning for 2010, and another two teams expected by 2012 (These would probably have to be second teams from Melbourne and Sydney which might be difficult).
What Im saying is that for Americas size and money you would expect a much stronger league (as FIFA was realistically hoping for).

As far as naming the players, I was asking some of the forumers here, which are americans with an obvious interest in football, to name players in their own league. I only know 1 or 3 players from scotland and portugal, but Im not from there so it doesnt really count. To be honest off the top of my head I could probably name 30 players in the A league, and no more. But if I though hard I could probably name 50 in the premier league, so obviously I have more interest in the English league than my own countries.

Saying that soccer doesnt have such a strong place in American culture cant be used as an excuse, because thats exactly what FIFA were hoping to change by giving US the 94 WC. Obviously it wont happen overnight but from what I know they were expecting more. The same could be said in Australia where the biggest four sports are cricket, AFL, rugby and rubgy league. But like I said this cant be used as an excuse.

I have used the population argument in regards to China, but not in regards to India because they arent bidding.

Ill take back my comment that the MLS is shit. It isn't. Like you said its quality and attendance is on par with several European league which could only be considered good quality. But when some forumers are crapping on about how great the MLS is, I though I should state my opinion.

Personally I think the big thing holding the MLS and A league back is that people in both countries are used to their sporting teams and leagues to be best in the world. USA is the best in Baseball basketball and Football. Australia is the best in cricket AFL and Rugby league. Thier leagues in those sports are also of the highest quality. So citizens arent as enthusiastic about their soccer leagues which are well behind the big four leagues in Europe. At least the Turkish and Greek teams get to play against the big clubs in and occasionaly beat them in Euro competitions. Im almost certain that American and Australian teams would have more support if they particiapted in the Uefa cup or smoething (I realise this is a complete impossibility)
Dude, I could name way more players in MLS than in the premiership and I'm currently kicking ass in Premiership fantasy. It's because I get to see more MLS players up close and tell them to **** off and I'm sure they hear me during warmups. Premiership guys just exist as players for my fantasy team and as pixels on my tv.

But anyway, MLS (notice for people, it's MLS...not "THE" MLS) is what....12 years old? The first six it was just trying to survive, but the last 2-3 years it's been growing and it's not just Beckham. The playing level is just good enough that all but the most snobbish fan can tolerate. Average attendance is near 17k and will surely top that mark once all the new stadiums are built.

Do you honestly think FIFA expected any better? When the league was founded they were hoping for getting 14-15k in a NFL stadium and breaking even. Now they have a bunch of stadiums built for the sports and rent free and crowds between 16k-20k on any given week. With LA it's more like 27k and Toronto 20k week in week out. Seattle already has 18k season ticket holders and Philly wont be far behind. Most of the new cities will be the same. The problem in 1996 wasn't that 20-30k people didn't show up, it was that they did and the product was crap. Now, the product is better and new cities wont lose that momentum when they start.

We really want see a huge jump in quality but it will happen gradually, the Players union will be negotiating their contract next year. It should see the salary cap increase. Then TV contract has a ways to go, but that one...that one should be massively better than the current one. Since we will be an 18/20 team league with several teams averaging around 20k+ in attendance.
I think a world cup around 2018/2022 would basically at that point, send professional soccer into critical mass and overtake NHL for good. We'd be revenue wise one of top leagues outside Europe, probably right behind Mexico. At least thats the plan.

Oh yeah, MLS players I can name of the top of my head. I'll do it by team.
Oh yeah, I'm a Fire fan so I'll rattle off most of their squad. Thats about 25-ish right there

Chicago Fire:
John Busch
Brandon Prideoux
Wilman Conde
Bakary Soumare
Gonzalo Segares
Logan Pause
John Thorrington
Cuauhtemoc Blanco
Chris Rolfe
Justin Mapp
Brian McBride
Andy Herron
Franskowski
Daniel Woolard
Stephen King
Marco Pappa
Patrick Nyarko
Mike Banner
Dasan Robinson
Lider Marmol
Diego Gutierrez
CJ Brown
Nick Noble
Kai Kasiguran

Chivas USA:
Zach Thorton
Ante Razov
Jesse Marsch
Sascha Klejstan
Francisco Mendoza
Claudio Suarez
Jorge Flores
Nakamura (sp? the japanese-brazilian dude)

Columbus Crew:
Hesmer
Gino Padula
Frankie Hedjuk
Chad Marshall
O'rourke
Ekpo
Iro
Eddie Gaven
Brian Carroll
Guillermo Barros Schelotto
Alejandro Moreno
Robbie Rogers

DC United
Jaime Moreno
Fred
Emilio
Ben Olson
Crayton
Marcelo Gallardo
Dyachenko
Ivan Guerrero
Quaranta

Yeah, I'll stop now...I could name about 8 guys from the remaining teams each but you get the picture. I watch plenty of EPL and Champions league, Argentine league, Copa Libertadores and La Liga. But still make time for MLS, mainly by having season tickets for the Fire and watching the thursday night ESPN games. If all footie fans in the US were like me, we'd be stealing players from Europe by now. Supporting your local team in person is so much more rewarding that spending all your time watching TV. It's like the difference between an online gf and a real gf. If you live anywhere near an A-League team...you should run not walk, to their nearest game.

Last edited by SIC; November 21st, 2008 at 02:25 PM.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:39 PM   #4096
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Not so true, Canadian rules football gets big enough crowds to fill the stadiums and theres enough cities to go around.
Properly motivated, I do the research and yes, I admit it, I'm surprised to find 9 cities large enough (possibly) to support the required stadia.

I'm guessing it would be Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnepeg, Toronto, Hamilton, Ontario, Montreal and Quebec City (plus maybe Regina),but I'm happy to be contradicted.

How many of those cities actually require a 40k stadium though? There's people over here who think that Canberra, Gold Coast, Townsville, and a few others could/should have extended stadia as part of a World Cup bid, but the reality is that all of those stadia would sit 75% empty for the next decade if it happened. Townsville, for example, has a 24k stadium that's never filled, Canberra has a 24k stadium that's more used to echos than roars, etc.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:53 PM   #4097
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

I would not rule out the UAE from hosting the Cup. Considering the amount of investment being pured into the country and region, world class facilities would not be out of the question to be built just for this event. Also, the UAE is very close to Europe and also Japan, China, etc.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:59 AM   #4098
theespecialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
I would not rule out the UAE from hosting the Cup. Considering the amount of investment being pured into the country and region, world class facilities would not be out of the question to be built just for this event. Also, the UAE is very close to Europe and also Japan, China, etc.
the capacity would almost exceed the population lol
theespecialone no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:27 AM   #4099
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by theespecialone View Post
the capacity would almost exceed the population lol
Don't think that would bother the Emirates though - build the stadiums, build the hotels, whack yet another terminal on the airport at Dubai, bring in all the tourists - host the finals... Then line up on rediculously over-the-top event after another to make use of the stadia.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM   #4100
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Ok, UAE is not bidding to host the WC. They are bidding to host the CLUB WC. It had a joint bid with Qatar, but has since pulled out.

So its Qatar that is bidding, not UAE.

There is a myriad of problems with the bid, one being that Qatar has never been close to even qualifying for a WC.
I know that they are building a "sports city" in one of the gulf states, but thats in Dubai, UAE, not Qatar (who really knows how successful it will be), so that still leaves at least 8 stadiums which need to be built, including two over 60K.
If they are built, how many "ridiculously over the top events" can Qatar bring to its shores yearly, even if it poaches all of Dubais? At most only one stadium would be needed. The rest would sit completely empty, forever.
The whole thing on paper seems completely impossible, but I too can see it happening. I also believe that the middle East/Arab/Muslim world deserve a WC, and that may be a justifying reason for FIFA to give Qatar the right to host.

Still there would be a mass of protest from football fans (it is after all outrageous), so I dont know if FIFA would actually go through with it, irrespective of the money.
woozoo está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup