daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:31 AM   #4101
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Ok, UAE is not bidding to host the WC. They are bidding to host the CLUB WC. It had a joint bid with Qatar, but has since pulled out.

So its Qatar that is bidding, not UAE.

There is a myriad of problems with the bid, one being that Qatar has never been close to even qualifying for a WC.
I know that they are building a "sports city" in one of the gulf states, but thats in Dubai, UAE, not Qatar (who really knows how successful it will be), so that still leaves at least 8 stadiums which need to be built, including two over 60K.
If they are built, how many "ridiculously over the top events" can Qatar bring to its shores yearly, even if it poaches all of Dubais? At most only one stadium would be needed. The rest would sit completely empty, forever.
The whole thing on paper seems completely impossible, but I too can see it happening. I also believe that the middle East/Arab/Muslim world deserve a WC, and that may be a justifying reason for FIFA to give Qatar the right to host.

Still there would be a mass of protest from football fans (it is after all outrageous), so I dont know if FIFA would actually go through with it, irrespective of the money.
The Emirates bid referred to previously is hypothetical - but not out of the question, nothing has been determined yet - no one knows who is actually going to bid and who isn't. I don't EXPECT the Emirates to bid, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did - based, as I said before, on an outrageous World Cup City concept. It's unlikely, but it's not out of the question.

As for your last statement - possibly the most outrageous comment ever made on the Skyscraper forums. FIFA is ONLY concerned with the money.
Benjuk no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:46 AM   #4102
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

hahaha you just bet it with your own statement.

The backlash from fans, media, other organisations etc etc from having a wc in Qatar may cost more (in monetary and non monetary terms alike) than what the gulf state can actually offer.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM   #4103
Alx-D
Arch Duke of Canada

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Properly motivated, I do the research and yes, I admit it, I'm surprised to find 9 cities large enough (possibly) to support the required stadia.

I'm guessing it would be Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnepeg, Toronto, Hamilton, Ontario, Montreal and Quebec City (plus maybe Regina),but I'm happy to be contradicted.

How many of those cities actually require a 40k stadium though? There's people over here who think that Canberra, Gold Coast, Townsville, and a few others could/should have extended stadia as part of a World Cup bid, but the reality is that all of those stadia would sit 75% empty for the next decade if it happened. Townsville, for example, has a 24k stadium that's never filled, Canberra has a 24k stadium that's more used to echos than roars, etc.
Right now Canada is on the cusp of a stadium boom. The majority of stadiums used in the CFL date back to the 50's. Most governments have focused on building mid-sized hockey arenas, letting the big stadiums to fall into disrepair. BC Place and Frank Clair (Ottawa) are being renovated, Molson stadium (Montreal) is being expanded, Regina and Winnipeg are looking at new stadiums. There is a new stadium being built in Quebec City and Halifax has shown a lot of interest. This is all well and good for the CFL but to make a world cup bid all of these stadiums would need massive temp expansion that would be taken down after the games. CFL averages only 30,000 a game, there is no need for a 50,000 seat stadium in most cities.

I'd be happy with the World Cup in the states, it's still easy travel for me
Alx-D no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:44 PM   #4104
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

England to hear 2018 fate in 2010

England will find out in December 2010 if it has been chosen as the host nation for the 2018 World Cup.

England and a joint bid by Belgium and the Netherlands are intended candidates and they could be joined by the likes of Spain, Russia, Australia and the US.

"We will start the 2018 bidding process early next year," said Jerome Valcke, secretary general of Fifa, world football's governing body.

"We expect to make a decision by December 2010."

Valcke added that Fifa was contemplating announcing the hosts for both 2018 and 2022 together to allow sufficient time for preparation.

"We feel seven years is the minimum time you need for a country to build all the infrastructure they need to host a World Cup," he said.

Brazil was chosen to host the 2014 World Cup in October 2007, but South Africa was awarded the 2010 tournament in May 2004, allowing just over six years to prepare.

The country is building six new stadiums and renovating four, rebuilding airports and investing massively in upgrading its road and rail networks. Many of the projects are on tight deadlines.

"It is quite evident that six years is a bare minimum to organise a World Cup. There is not much flexibility and time is fundamental," Valcke said.

"[In South Africa] certain elements will only be ready one month before the start of competition which doesn't leave much time if there's a problem."

Gherkin no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #4105
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

I really hope we can get it, it will be a great month. I'll be saving up holiday to take as much time off as possible if it happens! 10 years and counting. Fingers crossed.
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #4106
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Might be the only way England 'qualifies' for the World Cup.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #4107
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder View Post
Might be the only way England 'qualifies' for the World Cup.
Yeah, sitting top of our qualifying group and along the way we've become the first team to beat Croatia at home. Add to that the 'wooping' we just inflicted on the Germans in Berlin and the fact we have qualified for 6 of the past 7 WC finals, your quote seems totally justified.
KiwiBrit no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #4108
Vanguard

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBrit View Post
Yeah, sitting top of our qualifying group and along the way we've become the first team to beat Croatia at home. Add to that the 'wooping' we just inflicted on the Germans in Berlin and the fact we have qualified for 6 of the past 7 WC finals, your quote seems totally justified.

Also, we should mention that Australia have only qualified for 1 of the last 8 WC finals.
Vanguard no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #4109
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin007 View Post
England to hear 2018 fate in 2010

"[In South Africa] certain elements will only be ready one month before the start of competition which doesn't leave much time if there's a problem."

which "elements"?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #4110
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

That's a quote from bbc news website, Mo, so I don't really know. I would have thought you would know unless the bbc just put that in to to pick on South Africa for no reason. Looking at the progress of the stadiums, I'd say SA will be ready a year before schedule!
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #4111
Benjuk

All sounds good. Only negative would be that FIFA doesn't like temp expansions.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #4112
Benjuk

Quote:
hahaha you just bet it with your own statement.

The backlash from fans, media, other organisations etc etc from having a wc in Qatar may cost more (in monetary and non monetary terms alike) than what the gulf state can actually offer.
Can't agree. A gulf state being selected would guarentee FIFA's president (whoever it is by then) of the complete support of the Asian Federation and most likely the African Confederation as well (as the two federations often form alliances to counter UEFA and South America).

The national teams would still all want to qualify. The supporters would still want to go in sufficient numbers that they'd sell all the tickets. TV rights would go for a fortune as time-slots would be fine for Europe.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #4113
RobH

Likes (Received): 10311

It's not the BBC saying that; they're quoting Jerome Valcke, secretary general of Fifa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/7744916.stm
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #4114
RobH

Likes (Received): 10311

Doha wasn't even shortlisted by the IOC for the 2016 Games. It's

a) too hot at that time of year in that part of the world
b) too small; as well as stadiums you're looking at hotel rooms, infrustrcutre and the local population always fills out a certain number of seats.
c) a huge undertaking even for an oil rich region.
d) risky. Cities in Germany had problems when there were two sets of fans in a small space; imagine the security nightmare in what would effectivley be a world cup in a city!
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #4115
woozoo

All the points you mentioned ben are very valid. But now that ive looked into it deeper, I seriously cant see Qatar hosting a WC. population of 1.5 million. You would need/expect just under 4 million visitors over the WC. That means hotel rooms for more than double the population of the country. Who would staff these hotels? You would need to import a shitload of labor. Where would they live?

The case of 8 brand new stadiums to be built is also a bit much. Even with all its money it would be a major waste. Those stadiums would never be filled again. None of them except one perhaps.

Plus there would be an uproar over the waste of money. It would be a clear, obvious to everyone signal that FIFA is able to be bought. The controversy of such a country hosting a WC would be huge. So far, inspite of the corruption, the desicions FIFA has been making on WC hosts have been petty admirable (Asia, S.A), and WC's get better press than the Olympics.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #4116
woozoo

Regarding Canada, I didnt know the CFL was so well attended. Canada is very capable of hosting a WC. One or two white elephant stadiums not a major issue for such a big event.
Look at past hosts, many newly built stadiums are white elephants. Portugal 2004 is notorious for it. Even this years euro has white elephant stadiums. FC Basel, with the highest average attendance in the Swiss league, attracts an average crowd of 23,539, and has a 42,000 stadium, while #2 for attendance bsc attracts around 15,000 with a 32,000 stadium.

Japan/Korea, France (I think) and Italy all have white elephant stadiums.

What Im saying, is that one or two stadiums which will not be filled week in week out, but will still get regular use with decent attendance, is nothing out of the ordinary (outside of maybe USA NFL, England, Germany and to a degree Spain).

Trouble with Canada is the poor national team, but the positives might outweigh this.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #4117
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Japan has one white elephant, Miagyi. All the rest are used.

In Korea the KFA made sure K-League teams would move into the WC stadiums.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #4118
Alx-D
Arch Duke of Canada

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Trouble with Canada is the poor national team, but the positives might outweigh this.
Might be the only way we qualify
Alx-D no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #4119
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
It's not the BBC saying that; they're quoting Jerome Valcke, secretary general of Fifa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/7744916.stm
I know. I want Jerome to answer.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #4120
woozoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Japan has one white elephant, Miagyi. All the rest are used.

In Korea the KFA made sure K-League teams would move into the WC stadiums.
Yeah but how often are they used and how often are they filled?

As far as I know there were a number of Japanese stadiums which are infrequently used, only by J-League teams (and apparently occasionally for a rugby match), once a fortnight for only the length of the season, and are very rarely filled.

If that is not considered a "white elephant" then neither would any upgraded stadiums in Canada or Canberra, Townsville and Gold Coast - which would be used by several teams each from a number of codes throughout the year.

Quote:
Might be the only way we qualify
At least you have qualified in the past, so thats a big plus compared to Qatar.
woozoo no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup