daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #4121
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
I know. I want Jerome to answer.
I'm sure he's reading this thread right now.
hngcm no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #4122
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2718

According to DSF Spain will bid for 2018.
They new elected Fed. President said it.

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #4123
Vicman
La capital rielera

Likes (Received): 39

Excellent threat. I think this:

Europe South America and Africa are out for 2018, inspite of Germany South Africa and Brazil 06 10 and 14 respectiely. Now I agree with Australia, USA and China, butttt look: China and Australia are in Asian Federation and the last asian host were Korea and Japan in 02. So USA or...CONCACAF is the option.

Why??? Obviously is the shift of the area. CONCACAF only has organized 3 times the worl cup (70,86 and 94), I´m not against Australia and China, in fact i´d like to see a world cup in those fantastic countries, great economies and infrastructure, as same as Spain, England, Holland, Morocco etc... BUT, 2018 must be here. The doubt is which country; Mexico has organized 2 excellent tournaments with no problem, USA got 1. Canada could be a perfect option in order to organize thE cup but they have no good infrastructure in soccer stadiums. Central America as I said in other threat, is interested in do it with Guatemala, Costa Rica Honduras ...but I don´t think central america has a good soccer infrastructure as Canada. FIFA must turn to CONCACAF area and I support United States or Mexico as perfect options for ´18 worl cup.

If FIFA doesn´t give the host to CONCACAF I´d love to see Australia.

From capital mix, cradle of the nation! ::: DESDE LA CAPITAL DEL MESTIZAJE, CUNA DE LA NACIÓN!
Vicman no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #4124
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

The problem with your post Vicman is that CONCACAF can't keep using the same countries for it's proposals. Mexico has hosted two tournaments in just over 38 years and the USA had the WC only 14 years ago.

Both countries have hosted great WC's in the past, but it's hardly spreading the beautiful game globally is it?
KiwiBrit no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #4125
Vicman
La capital rielera

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBrit View Post
The problem with your post Vicman is that CONCACAF can't keep using the same countries for it's proposals. Mexico has hosted two tournaments in just over 38 years and the USA had the WC only 14 years ago.

Both countries have hosted great WC's in the past, but it's hardly spreading the beautiful game globally is it?

OK I agree with you but, that´s no problem!!! FIFA´s considerations are: Infrastructure and capacity. Only US and Mex have this requirements; I know what you´re talking about kiwi I support U hehe. But reallity is neither Canada nor Central America have good stadiums we´ll be honest, of course they can build in 10 years. I don´t insult this countries but this is the truth.

It´s hard but can be possible, Mexico is very interested in this. Whatever CONCACAF should be organize it.

By the way where do you from fella?? US?

From capital mix, cradle of the nation! ::: DESDE LA CAPITAL DEL MESTIZAJE, CUNA DE LA NACIÓN!
Vicman no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #4126
Vicman
La capital rielera

I insist...It´s not a problem that Mexico had organized twice the tournament. In 86, was an emergent country cuz Colombia decline...and whyyy???...because Mex had, has and will have cities with excellent infrastructure, and FIFA knows it.

I don´t see "A PROBLEM"!!! that Mexico will be the first country in the world in organize a third world cup. Germany, France or Brazil can think the same

Just think this: 22 years ago, and for 2018 will be 32 years later, same years as Germany 74 and 06.

Mexico 2018!!! Mexico city, Guadalajara, Monterrey, Puebla, Pachuca, Torreon, Morelia, Aguascalientes.

Vicman no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #4127
JimB

Likes (Received): 4789

Vicman - I believe that FIFA have all but abandoned the idea of strict rotation.

There are only, I'd guess, three countries that have the infrastructure (stadiums and general) to be able to host a World Cup in the CONCACAF region. Likewise Africa.

By contrast, there are as many as ten potential European hosts and six or seven in Asia.

Which would mean, under a strict rotation policy that the USA or Mexico would be chosen as World Cup host three times more regularly than England or Italy.

And that just wouldn't be right.

I think it more likely, in future, that CONCACAF and CONMEBOL (South America) will be considered as one entity in terms of winning the right to stage the World Cup. It would certainly make good sense.
JimB no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #4128
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

To go from every other world cup in Europe as it was throughout much of the twentieth century, to one on four or five world cups in Europe would be a shift too far. A strict continental rotation looks fair on paper but wouldn't be in reality for the reason's JimB has suggested. It'd end up with the USA hosting 4 times as many tournaments as footy mad nations in Europe.

Every third world cup should be in Europe imho. This would reflect the fact that there are areas in the world where football is becoming bigger whilst recognising that the powerbase is still Europe. JimB has it spot on.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #4129
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

Are Mexico bidding?

Against China, the USA and a host of strong European countries including England, that'll be a tough one for them to win. The fact that such a relatively small country has also hosted twice already will not work in its favour either.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #4130
Vicman
La capital rielera

Yeah that´s correct, Conmebol and CONCACAF must be joined. Ok i got you guys, but I want a cup again jejeje (lol).

Vicman no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #4131
JimB

Likes (Received): 4789

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Are Mexico bidding?

Against China, the USA and a host of strong European countries including England, that'll be a tough one for them to win. The fact that such a relatively small country has also hosted twice already will not work in its favour either.
To be fair, Mexico is a considerably bigger country than most European countries - both in terms of area and population!
JimB no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #4132
Vicman
La capital rielera

Just Italy Spain England Germany France and Portugal are countries which can organize the cup. Mexico could have a lower soccer level but it´s better than Korea, Japan, China, Australia, USA, even most of southamerican countries. Mexico has experience in this tournaments and for me, it´s not fair you say strong European countries....strong in what? level only, and some stadium designes.

Vicman no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #4133
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Every third world cup should be in Europe imho.
This is basically whats happening now, and what will happen in the future. Hence the rule that after a confederation has hosted, it cannot bid for another 2 WC's. That basically means Europe, with the most amount of countries with strong capabilities of hosting, can host every third WC. The other confederations can battle it out, with no strict rule about rotation, but Im sure the future WC's will be spread around the Americas, Asia and every now and then Africa (unfortunately the countries there have poor infrastructure).
woozoo no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #4134
cmc

Likes (Received): 253

just showing some support...

cmc no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #4135
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Mexico 2018!!! Mexico city, Guadalajara, Monterrey, Puebla, Pachuca, Torreon, Morelia, Aguascalientes.
Let's see...

MC: Azteca needs a major facelift, the new estadio azul needs 2k more seats after it's done to meet the 40k, although i wish it the stands were closer to the field (looks like it has an athletic track?). Also could use el Estadio Olimpico, although it has an ugly athletic track..

GUA: Nuevo estadio de las Chivas is looking good, don't know why they didn't go for a higher capacity, especially with the WC in the back of their minds

MON: Hopefully Monterrey or Tigres get a new 40k+ stadium in the future, probably will.

PUE: Estadio Cuauhtemoc meets the capacity requirement, but it also needs a major facelift.

PACH: Estadio Hidalgo would need a 10k expansion, which will be costly since the would need to get rid of the roof plus add the new stands.

TORR: Estadio Nuevo Corona would need a 10K expansion, but unlike Hidalgo, it would be easy as they would just need to add the stands. Although Santos wouldn't never be able to fill it up.

MOR: Estadio Morelos would need a 10k expansion.

AGUA: Estadio Victoria would need a 15k expansion, Necaxa doesn't need all those extra seats.

other possibilities...

TIJ: Estadio Caliente would just need a 7K expansion, but Tijuana doesn't even have a pro team.

CiuJ: If they get their stadium done, there's no doubt it will be a host city, a new 45k dome stadium is too good to pass up, despite being in a dangerous city.

QUE: 40k Estadio La Corregidora would be perfect with a slight upgrade.

VER: Luis Pirata Fuente would need a 10k expansion. And a top-flight team.
____

So with a lot of work, they can meet the minimum requirements.

But why award the WC to a country that can just meet the minimum requirements with a lot of work when there's a country just to the north of it that can EXCEED the requirements TODAY, and eclipse those requirements in ten years time?
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #4136
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Every third world cup should be in Europe imho. This would reflect the fact that there are areas in the world where football is becoming bigger whilst recognising that the powerbase is still Europe. JimB has it spot on.
Oh look everyone, a self-entitled Englishman/European when it comes to Football.
*shocker*

Hey, you realize that colonialism is dead and Europe isn't the center of the world right? But I guess every 3rd world cup instead of every other World Cup is mighty generous of you, we should be grateful.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #4137
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Oh look everyone, a self-entitled Englishman/European when it comes to Football.
*shocker*

Hey, you realize that colonialism is dead and Europe isn't the center of the world right? But I guess every 3rd world cup instead of every other World Cup is mighty generous of you, we should be grateful.
whats wrong with that? RobH is sensible person and I agree. Not like Africa can host every third world cup.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #4138
woozoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
*shocker*

You do realise that over a third of the teams that participate in WC finals are from Europe, and that two thirds of the best national teams are from Europe?

Europe has also by far the most countries which are suitable to host a WC, the best leagues, and where FIFA makes most of its money.

It is, by far and away, the home of football.

The fact that WC's are getting spread around is a credit to FIFA, a more blatantly money hungry organisation may have never made the move to make sure Africa or Asia get to host.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #4139
woozoo

Im from Australia, not Europe by the way.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #4140
woozoo

Bcoz USA hosted in 94, just 14 years ago. Mexico isnt really suitible either bcoz they hosted twice, as recently as 22 years ago.

If Canada can get its act together and get a decent national team in the next few years they should get to host. My opinion only of course. And yeah I doubt they will have a good national team by then so I guess they are all in the running from CONCACAF.
woozoo no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup