daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #4141
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,016
Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Oh look everyone, a self-entitled Englishman/European when it comes to Football.
*shocker*

Hey, you realize that colonialism is dead and Europe isn't the center of the world right? But I guess every 3rd world cup instead of every other World Cup is mighty generous of you, we should be grateful.
Time for you to remove that enormous chip from your shoulder, pal.

It's clearly weighing you down.

All RobH was saying is that, as things stand, it would be wrong for continents like North America and Africa to be awarded the World Cup on a strict rotational basis. The reason for that is that there are far fewer countries within N America and Africa that are currently capable of hosting a World Cup. Consequently, if strict rotation was enforced, countries like South Africa, USA or Mexico would be awarded the World Cup three or four times more regularly than countries like, Spain, Italy or England.

Surely, despite that gigantic chip on your shoulder, you can see that that wouldn't be right?
JimB no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #4142
Alx-D
Arch Duke of Canada
 
Alx-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 209
Likes (Received): 0

^ We have a good national team, they just have a poor coach who has alienated all of our good players. Stadiums are the big problem, as in we have no currently existing WC quality stadiums. They'd all need major work or to be built from scratch. BC Place will become the best stadium in the country, but it'll still have artificial turf.

Besides, the CSA would screw it all up somehow
Alx-D no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #4143
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,764
Likes (Received): 10311

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Oh look everyone, a self-entitled Englishman/European when it comes to Football.
*shocker*

Hey, you realize that colonialism is dead and Europe isn't the center of the world right? But I guess every 3rd world cup instead of every other World Cup is mighty generous of you, we should be grateful.
Go **** yourself, I didn't deserve that response to my post.

If you can't argue against me properly, don't bother ok?
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #4144
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 8,126
Likes (Received): 3197

Having discussed this on BigSoccer it helps to establish the list of nations capable of hosting, and those that have bona fide potential in the near future.

Asia/Oceana
Korea
Japan
China
Australia (Potential)

Africa
South Africa
Egypt (Potential)
???

Concacaf
USA
Mexico
Canada (Potential)

Conmebol
Brazil
Argentina (Potential)
Columbia (Potential)

That's 8-13 possible hosts to choose from, with obviously limited potential in Africa at the moment. Whereas Europe offers

England
Spain
Italy
Germany
France
Benelux (Netherlands/Belgium for those so inclined) (Potential)
Russia (Potential)

So nearly half the nations that could host a WC (under current standards) in two years are located in Europe, and at least 1/3 if you count all potential nations. Allowing co-hosting doesn't change the ratio's much, either, for as you open the door to the likes of Morocco/Algeria and Ecuador/Peru you also invite Scandanavia, Poland/Ukraine and possibly others in Europe.

It would appear that so long as we (FIFA and the fans) are intent on keeping the scale of the event so large it will restrict the number of viable options, and many of them are within Europe.
__________________
"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."
GunnerJacket no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #4145
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 8,126
Likes (Received): 3197

It does appear Canada could use a massive reinvestment in their stadium infrastructure. It would be nice if many of the CFL venues could be upgraded and configured for optimum opportunity for soccer. I think the FIFA U-20 WC did spur interest in the higher levels of the sport across the country, but understand the logistics of sustaining teams throughout more of the "hinterlands" of the Canadian landscape. There's also the difficulty of competing directly with the CFL during the warmer months. (Just need to ramp up that global warming a bit more, eh?!) Perhaps if soccer interests and CFL interests could find more cooperative arrangements such ideas would come to light.
__________________
"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."
GunnerJacket no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #4146
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Having discussed this on BigSoccer it helps to establish the list of nations capable of hosting, and those that have bona fide potential in the near future.

Asia/Oceana
Korea
Japan
China
Australia (Potential)

Africa
South Africa
Egypt (Potential)
???

Concacaf
USA
Mexico
Canada (Potential)

Conmebol
Brazil
Argentina (Potential)
Columbia (Potential)

That's 8-13 possible hosts to choose from, with obviously limited potential in Africa at the moment. Whereas Europe offers

England
Spain
Italy
Germany
France
Benelux (Netherlands/Belgium for those so inclined) (Potential)
Russia (Potential)

So nearly half the nations that could host a WC (under current standards) in two years are located in Europe, and at least 1/3 if you count all potential nations. Allowing co-hosting doesn't change the ratio's much, either, for as you open the door to the likes of Morocco/Algeria and Ecuador/Peru you also invite Scandanavia, Poland/Ukraine and possibly others in Europe.

It would appear that so long as we (FIFA and the fans) are intent on keeping the scale of the event so large it will restrict the number of viable options, and many of them are within Europe.
I think Japan and Korea would need to be co-hosts again. I'm not so sure they could host alone. Japan possibly, but not S. Korea.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #4147
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 8,126
Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I think Japan and Korea would need to be co-hosts again. I'm not so sure they could host alone. Japan possibly, but not S. Korea.
Each nation built/renovated 10 stadiums of greater than 40k capacity. South Korea featured 2 in the 50k range and 2 in the 60k range, including the best of the lot, IMO, in Seoul's WC Stadium.


Don't known why that's what they did, and arguably spreading the games out across that many venues was one contributor to the frustrations with that event. Nevertheless, each nation now has the means to host independently.
__________________
"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."
GunnerJacket no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #4148
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Each nation built/renovated 10 stadiums of greater than 40k capacity. South Korea featured 2 in the 50k range and 2 in the 60k range, including the best of the lot, IMO, in Seoul's WC Stadium.


Don't known why that's what they did, and arguably spreading the games out across that many venues was one contributor to the frustrations with that event. Nevertheless, each nation now has the means to host independently.
Korea has the stadiums, but they only hosted half of the matches, meaning only half the fans. They also only hosted half of the media and not even the media for the final. I don't think the airports, hotels and other infrastructure could host a WC by itself. Japan I think could, but not Korea.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #4149
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,016
Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Korea has the stadiums, but they only hosted half of the matches, meaning only half the fans. They also only hosted half of the media and not even the media for the final. I don't think the airports, hotels and other infrastructure could host a WC by itself. Japan I think could, but not Korea.
You may be right.

But it would take very little for S Korea to meet all the requirements. Certainly, infrastrucure wouldn't be a barrier to S Korea bidding as exclusive hosts.
JimB no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #4150
Vicman
La capital rielera
 
Vicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Apizaco,Mex.
Posts: 435
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc View Post
just showing some support...


Thanks friend!!! I´m sure you´re from Mexico jeje for your logo CORONA.

Guys c´mon, 2018 is for CONCAFAF and it´s not fair you say Europe deserve every 3rd world cup, FIFA xplain all the continents will organize the cup in base to the rotation, not everything is focused in Europe. Someone of U said in Europe FIFA earns much money, you should live in Mexico, here football is more expensive than other place in the world.
__________________
A P I Z A C O
Tlaxcala * Mexico

From capital mix, cradle of the nation! ::: DESDE LA CAPITAL DEL MESTIZAJE, CUNA DE LA NACIÓN!
Vicman no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #4151
Vicman
La capital rielera
 
Vicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Apizaco,Mex.
Posts: 435
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Let's see...

MC: Azteca needs a major facelift, the new estadio azul needs 2k more seats after it's done to meet the 40k, although i wish it the stands were closer to the field (looks like it has an athletic track?). Also could use el Estadio Olimpico, although it has an ugly athletic track..

GUA: Nuevo estadio de las Chivas is looking good, don't know why they didn't go for a higher capacity, especially with the WC in the back of their minds

MON: Hopefully Monterrey or Tigres get a new 40k+ stadium in the future, probably will.

PUE: Estadio Cuauhtemoc meets the capacity requirement, but it also needs a major facelift.

PACH: Estadio Hidalgo would need a 10k expansion, which will be costly since the would need to get rid of the roof plus add the new stands.

TORR: Estadio Nuevo Corona would need a 10K expansion, but unlike Hidalgo, it would be easy as they would just need to add the stands. Although Santos wouldn't never be able to fill it up.

MOR: Estadio Morelos would need a 10k expansion.

AGUA: Estadio Victoria would need a 15k expansion, Necaxa doesn't need all those extra seats.

other possibilities...

TIJ: Estadio Caliente would just need a 7K expansion, but Tijuana doesn't even have a pro team.

CiuJ: If they get their stadium done, there's no doubt it will be a host city, a new 45k dome stadium is too good to pass up, despite being in a dangerous city.

QUE: 40k Estadio La Corregidora would be perfect with a slight upgrade.

VER: Luis Pirata Fuente would need a 10k expansion. And a top-flight team.
____

So with a lot of work, they can meet the minimum requirements.

But why award the WC to a country that can just meet the minimum requirements with a lot of work when there's a country just to the north of it that can EXCEED the requirements TODAY, and eclipse those requirements in ten years time?

YES but the world cup sill be in 10 years. Is a perfect time in order to remodel all the stadiums.

Mexico is gonna be the host for U17 World Cup. Let´s see.
__________________
A P I Z A C O
Tlaxcala * Mexico

From capital mix, cradle of the nation! ::: DESDE LA CAPITAL DEL MESTIZAJE, CUNA DE LA NACIÓN!
Vicman no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #4152
Vicman
La capital rielera
 
Vicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Apizaco,Mex.
Posts: 435
Likes (Received): 39

WILL BE....sorry i change the W jeje. Cheeeeeersssss jaja
__________________
A P I Z A C O
Tlaxcala * Mexico

From capital mix, cradle of the nation! ::: DESDE LA CAPITAL DEL MESTIZAJE, CUNA DE LA NACIÓN!
Vicman no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #4153
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,016
Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Guys c´mon, 2018 is for CONCAFAF and it´s not fair you say Europe deserve every 3rd world cup, FIFA xplain all the continents will organize the cup in base to the rotation, not everything is focused in Europe. Someone of U said in Europe FIFA earns much money, you should live in Mexico, here football is more expensive than other place in the world.
It's not that Spanish, English or German people believe that they should host the World Cup more often than Mexico. They just want their countries to be able to host the World Cup as often as Mexico.

And since, as has been explained, there are so many more European countries that are capable of hosting the World Cup, it would be unfair if FIFA implemented a strict rotation policy.

There are currently only 3 countries in the CONCACAF region that (with a little work) could host a World Cup. There are probably 10 in the UEFA region that (with a little work) could host the World Cup.

Let's make it graphic for you: if FIFA insisted on strict rotation and if CONCACAF was awarded the 2018 World Cup, the schedule could eventually look something like this:

2006 - Germany
2010 - S Africa
2014 - Brazil
2018 - Mexico
2022 - China
2026 - England
2030 - Egypt
2034 - Argentina
2038 - USA
2042 - Australia
2046 - Russia
2050 - Tunisia / Morocco??
2054 - Peru / Colombia??
2058 - Canada
2062 - India
2066 - Spain
2070 - S Africa
2074 - Chile
2078 - Mexico
.....
.....
2086 - Holland / Belgium
.....
.....
2098 - USA
.....
.....
2106 - Italy
.....
.....
2118 - Canada
.....
.....
2126 - Turkey
.....
.....
2138 - Mexico
.....
.....
2146 - Poland / Ukraine
.....
.....
2158 - USA
.....
.....
2166 - France
.....
.....
2178 - Canada
.....
.....
2186 - Portugal
.....
.....
2198 - Mexico
.....
.....
2206 - Germany
.....
.....
2218 - USA
.....
.....
2226 - England

As you can see, a UEFA country like England would have to wait 200 years between World Cups. A CONCACAF country like Mexico would have to wait only 60 years.

In other words, if you had your way, every generation of Mexicans would get to see a World Cup on their soil but only one in three or four generations of English would have the same honour.

Thankfully, that will not happen. FIFA have abandoned the idea of strict rotation for a far fairer and more pragmatic approach.

Last edited by JimB; November 27th, 2008 at 03:40 AM.
JimB no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #4154
Bobby3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,267
Likes (Received): 52

Speaking of Mexico and World Cups, does Estadio Neza 86 just sit there?
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #4155
KiwiBrit
There's only one United
 
KiwiBrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: the garden city
Posts: 1,743
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
...Someone of U said in Europe FIFA earns much money, you should live in Mexico, here football is more expensive than other place in the world.
How much does it cost to see a game in Mexico Vicman?
KiwiBrit no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #4156
woozoo
Registered User
 
woozoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 800
Likes (Received): 185

Yes, Europe does deserve every third world cup.

Like I said, more than a third of the teams in a WC are from Europe. By rights a third of all world cups should be hosted in the continent which provides a third of the teams.

And like everyone else has been saying, Europe provides the countries which are actually able to host a WC.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #4157
SIC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 290
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
It's not that Spanish, English or German people believe that they should host the World Cup more often than Mexico. They just want their countries to be able to host the World Cup as often as Mexico.

And since, as has been explained, there are so many more European countries that are capable of hosting the World Cup, it would be unfair if FIFA implemented a strict rotation policy.

There are currently only 3 countries in the CONCACAF region that (with a little work) could host a World Cup. There are probably 10 in the UEFA region that (with a little work) could host the World Cup.

Let's make it graphic for you: if FIFA insisted on strict rotation and if CONCACAF was awarded the 2018 World Cup, the schedule could eventually look something like this:

2006 - Germany
2010 - S Africa
2014 - Brazil
2018 - Mexico
2022 - China
2026 - England
2030 - Egypt
2034 - Argentina
2038 - USA
2042 - Australia
2046 - Russia
2050 - Tunisia / Morocco??
2054 - Peru / Colombia??
2058 - Canada
2062 - India
2066 - Spain
2070 - S Africa
2074 - Chile
2078 - Mexico
.....
.....
2086 - Holland / Belgium
.....
.....
2098 - USA
.....
.....
2106 - Italy
.....
.....
2118 - Canada
.....
.....
2126 - Turkey
.....
.....
2138 - Mexico
.....
.....
2146 - Poland / Ukraine
.....
.....
2158 - USA
.....
.....
2166 - France
.....
.....
2178 - Canada
.....
.....
2186 - Portugal
.....
.....
2198 - Mexico
.....
.....
2206 - Germany
.....
.....
2218 - USA
.....
.....
2226 - England

As you can see, a UEFA country like England would have to wait 200 years between World Cups. A CONCACAF country like Mexico would have to wait only 60 years.

In other words, if you had your way, every generation of Mexicans would get to see a World Cup on their soil but only one in three or four generations of English would have the same honour.

Thankfully, that will not happen. FIFA have abandoned the idea of strict rotation for a far fairer and more pragmatic approach.
yeah, except that for most of those years you'd be within 1-2 hour plane flight of all those UEFA world cups.
Meanwhile a 2 hour flight won't even get someone in Tijuana time to get to Mexico City. Let's not even talk about the US.
The fact is a strict rotational policy would notindeed be the fairest way to go, but thats not convenient to an organization based in Zurich. But every third world cup seems like a bitch much.

I bet theres some guy from some country who would kill to have a world cup, even every 200 years.

Also theres no way in hell England goes 200 years without a world cup. I mean...really, some other country would be screwed over...but England would get it's cup.

It's called the WORLD CUP. Not the every 3rd team is European plus others Cup.

Last edited by SIC; November 27th, 2008 at 08:14 AM.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #4158
larsul
Proximamente CASAHUS.COM
 
larsul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Guadalajara
Posts: 1,120
Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Speaking of Mexico and World Cups, does Estadio Neza 86 just sit there?
yes, now it seats there.. the club that was playing in there, Toros Neza was bankrupt and sold...
__________________
Twitter: @othonsantillan
Instagram: Othonsant
Vine: @othonsantillan
SnapChat: larsul60
Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/larsul60
larsul no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #4159
hngcm
Registered User
 
hngcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,644
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Bcoz USA hosted in 94, just 14 years ago. Mexico isnt really suitible either bcoz they hosted twice, as recently as 22 years ago.

If Canada can get its act together and get a decent national team in the next few years they should get to host. My opinion only of course. And yeah I doubt they will have a good national team by then so I guess they are all in the running from CONCACAF.
Canada needs A LOT more work than Mexico...
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #4160
hngcm
Registered User
 
hngcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,644
Likes (Received): 20

Every third WC for Europe is fair enough. Hell, it used to be every second WC.

Europe, The Americas, Rest of The World, Europe, The Americas, Rest of The World, etc;

IMO, the next couple of WC's should be like this:

2010- South Africa
2014- Brazil
2018- England
2022- USA
2026- China/Australia
2030- Spain
2034- Mexico/Argentina
2038- Australia/China
2042- Italy
2044- Argentina/Mexico

So worst case scenario, Mexico gets a World Cup in 2044, within my lifetime. Hopefully Mexico plays a game in Tijuana so I can just go across the border to see them play lol.
hngcm no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu