daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM   #4181
tonight

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
It's not that Spanish, English or German people believe that they should host the World Cup more often than Mexico. They just want their countries to be able to host the World Cup as often as Mexico.

And since, as has been explained, there are so many more European countries that are capable of hosting the World Cup, it would be unfair if FIFA implemented a strict rotation policy.

There are currently only 3 countries in the CONCACAF region that (with a little work) could host a World Cup. There are probably 10 in the UEFA region that (with a little work) could host the World Cup.

Let's make it graphic for you: if FIFA insisted on strict rotation and if CONCACAF was awarded the 2018 World Cup, the schedule could eventually look something like this:

2006 - Germany
2010 - S Africa
2014 - Brazil
2018 - Mexico
2022 - China
2026 - England
2030 - Egypt
2034 - Argentina
2038 - USA
2042 - Australia
2046 - Russia
2050 - Tunisia / Morocco??
2054 - Peru / Colombia??
2058 - Canada
2062 - India
2066 - Spain
2070 - S Africa
2074 - Chile
2078 - Mexico
2086 - Holland / Belgium
2098 - USA
2106 - Italy
2118 - Canada
2126 - Turkey
2138 - Mexico
2146 - Poland / Ukraine
2158 - USA
2166 - France
2178 - Canada
2186 - Portugal
2198 - Mexico
2206 - Germany
2218 - USA
2226 - England

As you can see, a UEFA country like England would have to wait 200 years between World Cups. A CONCACAF country like Mexico would have to wait only 60 years.

In other words, if you had your way, every generation of Mexicans would get to see a World Cup on their soil but only one in three or four generations of English would have the same honour.

Thankfully, that will not happen. FIFA have abandoned the idea of strict rotation for a far fairer and more pragmatic approach.
Is this final?
tonight no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:27 PM   #4182
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

no. lol. just an educated guess
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #4183
tonight

Likes (Received): 50

okay
tonight no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #4184
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

News on Australia's bid... from The Age (Melbourne)

Quote:
World Cup bid gets $46million
http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/...584840608.html

Jacquelin Magnay, Sydney
December 10, 2008

IT'S now official. After all of the talk over the past 10 months, launches, behind-the-scenes manoeuvring and the kowtowing to FIFA head Sepp Blatter, the Federal Government has put its money where its mouth is.

This week the Federal Government approved $45.6 million for Football Federation Australia to officially launch and lobby for the soccer World Cup in 2018.

The money, which will be paid over the next three years, is to secure at least 13 votes from the 24-strong FIFA executive to gain Australia the World Cup ahead of rivals England, Russia, the US, Spain, Qatar, Mexico, a combined Netherlands-Belgium bid and a possible Asian rival, China.

Federal Cabinet had been considering the funding for some time but signed off on it — at levels slightly reduced — earlier this week. It is understood FFA sought more than $50 million but the economic crisis tempered the original expectations.

Still, the total amount approved is a massive commitment. The FIFA executive will meet in Tokyo on December 19 to ratify the 2018 and 2022 selection process, which is in some disarray. It had been thought that Australia's bid would benefit from FIFA's original plan to announce the hosts for the two World Cups at the same time, but that joint vote plan has been temporarily deferred after some of the executive objected to an 11-year lead-in time for the 2022 event.

FFA will use the funding to set up the official bid team with a small, but influential executive led by FFA chairman Frank Lowy, and push Australia's case to host the month-long tournament, which promises to boost tourism and attract a broadcast viewing audience in excess of 26 billion.

The last World Cup in Germany attracted two million international visitors, 3.3 million spectators at games and was broadcast to 214 countries.

It is anticipated that FFA will send representatives to Tokyo to gain clarification about the voting process and formally introduce its candidature.

Government ministers have strongly supported the bid as a way to promote Australia and they said the money was a clear signal that the Government was fully behind Australia's bid.

"This sends a clear message to the football world that Australia is serious about hosting the 2018 FIFA World Cup," Sport Minister Kate Ellis said.

"The Australian Government will work in partnership with the Football Federation Australia and state and territory governments in a united approach to building the strongest bid possible for the 2018 event."

It is expected that the bid will be lodged at the end of 2010 with a FIFA decision expected in March 2011.

Ellis said the bid faced huge challenges but the country's record in hosting large-scale sporting events would hold it in good stead.

"Australia has an exemplary record in hosting international sporting events, having held the Olympic Games twice and Commonwealth Games four times," she said. "Our sporting infrastructure is also world class, with venues such as Melbourne's iconic MCG and Telstra Dome; Sydney's ANZ Stadium and Football Stadium, and Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium matching the world's best."

Officials from Australia's other football codes have swung behind the bid, with the AFL preparing to release the MCG for World Cup matches and transfer AFL matches to Docklands, while the new rugby league stadium at Olympic Park would be expanded to around 40,000 capacity.
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #4185
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

"The money, which will be paid over the next three years, is to secure at least 13 votes from the 24-strong FIFA executive to gain Australia the World Cup ahead of rivals England, Russia, the US, Spain, Qatar, Mexico, a combined Netherlands-Belgium bid and a possible Asian rival, China."

Sounds like they're going to use the money for bribes lol
hngcm no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #4186
RobH

Likes (Received): 10322

That could have been worded better, certainly.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #4187
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
That could have been worded better, certainly.
No, just another example of the famous up-front Aussie honesty. If you're going to do it, and all the bidding nations will be, why not just be blatent?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #4188
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post

Sounds like they're going to use the money for bribes lol
its nothing new. not all the money will be bribes. many votes are won based on "agreements". you get our vote for construction contracts e.g. France and Morocco during the 2010 bid.

In a 24 member voting group, lobby lobby and dont forget to lobby.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #4189
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
its nothing new. not all the money will be bribes. many votes are won based on "agreements". you get our vote for construction contracts e.g. France and Morocco during the 2010 bid.

And lobby a bit.

My biggest worry for the Aussie bid is that we don't appear to have much to offer. Remembering that we'll build our own stadiums, we can't arrange favourable fixtures (eg/ England playing in Trinidad to cheer Jack Warner up), we can't re-arrange world cup qualifiers like South America did to swing the Euro vote a few years back re: the 1/2 qualifying spot for Germany 2006, etc.

I fail to see what we can do other than get the Asian federation behind our bid and agree that 'if you vote for us this time, we'll vote for you next time'.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #4190
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Oceania vote will go to Australia since Wellington is in the A league and we are helping with development in that region. Apart from that I have no idea.
PoSt what you know people.

Last edited by woozoo; December 11th, 2008 at 06:01 PM.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #4191
aaronaugi1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post

Something we are self-proclaimed experts on.

If we managed to squeeze the 2000 Games out of the IOC when they were almost certainly going to Beijing i don't see how FIFA could be any more difficult
aaronaugi1 no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #4192
plasma169

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I think Japan and Korea would need to be co-hosts again. I'm not so sure they could host alone. Japan possibly, but not S. Korea.
South Korea is well capable of hosting the World Cup alone. The nation has a population of 50 million and 9 cities exceed 1 million inhabitants and 4 cities in a range of 0.8 mil to 0.9 mil. Other than Seoul, Busan has 4 million, Incheon has 3 million, Daegu 2.7 million and etc.

7 cities have metro subway system, South Korea is one of 6 countries in the world to have a high speed bullet train service operated. 12 cities have international-sized airports. In terms of transportation infrastructure, the country is not too far behind that of some of the wealthy Western European nations.

Hotels? No problems either when you look at cities like Incheon and Busan who are competing against each other as to who wants to build the tallest super tall towers in South Korea. These cities also have hosted numerous international events. Daegu is also another city which will host 2011 World Championships in Athletics, Daejeon also hosted world expo before. Ulsan, a city with about a 1 mil inhabitants is the richest city in South Korea.

South Korea is also the 2nd richest nation in East Asia in terms of GDP per capita (excluding city-based country, Singapore) I don't see why they can't host the Cup alone when countries like Mexico, Uruguay, Argentina or Switzerland hosted the tournament alone before. (eg. How many cities in Argentina have > 1 mil inhabitants except for Buenos Aires?)

Last edited by plasma169; December 14th, 2008 at 05:30 PM.
plasma169 no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #4193
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Both South Korea and Japan are more than capable of being solo hosts.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #4194
GaBo_CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma169 View Post

South Korea is also the 2nd richest nation in East Asia in terms of GDP per capita (excluding city-based country, Singapore) I don't see why they can't host the Cup alone when countries like Mexico, Uruguay, Argentina or Switzerland hosted the tournament alone before. (eg. How many cities in Argentina have > 1 mil inhabitants except for Buenos Aires?)
Gran Buenos Aires -----> 13.100.000 inhabitants (2008)
Gran Cordoba -----> 1.368.301 (2001)
Gran Rosario -----> 1.161.188 (2001)
Gran Mendoza -----> 930.000 (2008)
Gran Tucuman -----> 738.479 (2001)
Gran La Plata -----> 694.253 (2001)
Mar del Plata -----> 564.056 (2001)
Gran Salta -----> 468.583 (2001)
Gran Santa Fe -----> 454.238 (2001)

(Gran = metro area)

anyway, this doesnt matter, here in Argentina we have the richest football culture in the entire world, even richer than Brazil or any European country. So I think that there are many other things that influence in the decision of what country will host the next world cup.
Population is not important, for you to have an idea, my city hardly reaches the 200.000 inhabitants, but we have one official league with two categories, "A" and "B" with 13 teams each. Every team has lower divisions squads (at least 6 or 7) that compete in lower division tournaments. We also have a "zone tournament" in wich 20 teams participate, each team has 2 squads (one for first division, and the other one for second division). We also have a Futsal league, in which participate at least 45 teams in different divisions, we even held the futsal clubs world cup last month (a team of paraguay won)... And that is just the local tournament, because we also have a team in the national second division, another in the Argentine Tournament "B", which will move to the "A" next year, and several teams in the Argentine Tournament "C".
All this in a city that only has 200.000 inhabitants, so imagine in Buenos Aires or Cordoba.
And I could bet anything that any of the teams which play in the local tournament of my city could easily defeat any team in the first division of South Korea.

I think that any country can host a Football World Cup, but I think that there are many factors that influence in the decision apart from the population (which I think is the less important), I am happy that Brazil will host in 2014, and i would be really happy if Argentina could also host again some day.

PD: today, the official tournament of Argentina, ended for the first time in its history, with 3 teams in the first place with the same ammount of points: Boca, San Lorenzo, and Tigre, and a small tournament will be held to see which of these 3 teams is the champion. River ended its worst tournament in history, finishing last with only 2 victories. I know this has nothing to do, but it really was a very particular tournament... hah

Last edited by GaBo_CR; December 15th, 2008 at 04:09 AM.
GaBo_CR no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #4195
gabdem
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBo_CR View Post

(Gran = metro area)

anyway, this doesnt matter, here in Argentina we have the richest football culture in the entire world, even richer than Brazil or any European country. So I think that there are many other things that influence in the decision of what country will host the next world cup.
Population is not important, for you to have an idea, my city hardly reaches the 200.000 inhabitants, but we have one official league with two categories, "A" and "B" with 13 teams each. Every team has lower divisions squads (at least 6 or 7) that compete in lower division tournaments. We also have a "zone tournament" in wich 20 teams participate, each team has 2 squads (one for first division, and the other one for second division). We also have a Futsal league, in which participate at least 45 teams in different divisions, we even held the futsal clubs world cup last month (a team of paraguay won)... And that is just the local tournament, because we also have a team in the national second division, another in the Argentine Tournament "B", which will move to the "A" next year, and several teams in the Argentine Tournament "C".
All this in a city that only has 200.000 inhabitants, so imagine in Buenos Aires or Cordoba.
And I could bet anything that any of the teams which play in the local tournament of my city could easily defeat any team in the first division of South Korea.

I think that any country can host a Football World Cup, but I think that there are many factors that influence in the decision apart from the population (which I think is the less important), I am happy that Brazil will host in 2014, and i would be really happy if Argentina could also host again some day.

PD: today, the official tournament of Argentina, ended for the first time in its history, with 3 teams in the first place with the same ammount of points: Boca, San Lorenzo, and Tigre, and a small tournament will be held to see which of these 3 teams is the champion. River ended its worst tournament in history, finishing last with only 2 victories. I know this has nothing to do, but it really was a very particular tournament... hah

I prefer tennis and rugby...

But now I understand why I saw so many S. Lorenzo flags and t-shirts on the streets today lol...
gabdem no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #4196
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronaugi1 View Post
Something we are self-proclaimed experts on.

If we managed to squeeze the 2000 Games out of the IOC when they were almost certainly going to Beijing i don't see how FIFA could be any more difficult
As has been said before (a) the IOC is an entirely different organisation to FIFA, and (b) the Olympics is basically about getting ONE city up to extremely high standards, the World Cup is about getting between 7 and 12 cities up to similar standards. Thus, whilst a 'smaller' country can host the Olympics so long as it has one major city, any 'smaller' country is going to struggle to match what's on offer in a large heavily populated place.

We sit here, struggling to come up with 7 or 8 cities in Australia that can justify having a world cup sized venue, we'd struggle even more once factoring in hotel accomodation, transport, etc.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #4197
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBo_CR View Post

(Gran = metro area)

anyway, this doesnt matter,
I think you'll find that this does matter, a lot. You need at least 9 cities which have large enough populations to support the 40k stadiums.
That said Im sure FIFA would bend some rules so that Argentina could host again. I think its only a matter of time. 2030 with Montivideo/Uruguay is a real possibility. I would love to see the WC in Argentina/Uruguay in 2030.

As for Australia, here we go again.

1) Telstra Stadium Sydney 83,000
2) MCG Melbourne 100,000
3) Docklands Melbourne 55,000
4) Suncorp Brisbane 57,000
5) AAMI Adelaide 50,000
6) Subaico Perth 50,000
7) Skilled Stadium Gold Coast 27,000 Upgraded temporary or otherwise to 40,000 (remember GC pop projected to be 800,000 by 2020)
8) Energy Stadium Newcastle 40,000 (current upgrade)
9) Bruce Stadium Canberra Temporary upgraded to 40,000

There you have 9 stadium within the stadium per city guidelines. All have adequate hotels, infrastructure and transport except:
Newcastle - stadium is still located only 15 min walk from Broadmedow train station so only hotels would need to be upgraded which is no big deal.
Adeilaide for transport - New train line for AAMI has been proposed and is real possibility
Canberra for transport - No rail transport in Canberra so they're screwed. Still, Kaiserslautern has no rail transport, as Im sure don't many of the host cities from USA 94, SA 2010 and Brazil 2018, and most probably one or two other German and French host cities.

Throw in Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney Football Stadium, Melbourne Rectangular stadium upgraded and you have another few stadiums which can be used if the one stadium per city guideline is relaxed.
Infrastructure wise, Australia can host a Wc in 2018. Whether they can get the votes is a different story.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #4198
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

I think it's almost 100% sure Europe will get 2018 after 2 consecutive non-european tournaments for the first time in history!
Australia sucks at football, only Guus did something with them, generation that lived to play in Europe but without him...they were always getting they're butt's kicked from South America's 5th place...they can always host Rugby WC, Olympics or anything else...but not football! Not when England has to get it!
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #4199
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Canberra for transport - No rail transport in Canberra so they're screwed. Still, Kaiserslautern has no rail transport, as Im sure don't many of the host cities from USA 94, SA 2010 and Brazil 2018, and most probably one or two other German and French host cities.
LOL, do you have a smallest idea of how much dense are the cities in Germany? What do you think? That you are in Australia that's as big as Europe and doesn't even have Romania's population?
And do you have a small idea about the infrastructure of the rail and the roads in Germany and France? Do you think it's the desert like in Oz?
Yeah, there might have been better places then Kaiser to play the game but who cares now? There's a bunch o cities all around the zone.....
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #4200
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
As has been said before (a) the IOC is an entirely different organisation to FIFA, and (b) the Olympics is basically about getting ONE city up to extremely high standards, the World Cup is about getting between 7 and 12 cities up to similar standards. Thus, whilst a 'smaller' country can host the Olympics so long as it has one major city, any 'smaller' country is going to struggle to match what's on offer in a large heavily populated place.

We sit here, struggling to come up with 7 or 8 cities in Australia that can justify having a world cup sized venue, we'd struggle even more once factoring in hotel accomodation, transport, etc.
correct. no doubt that OZ has lobbying skills, but you're talking to a different bunch of people. although money under the table always does the job.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup