daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM   #4381
RobH

Likes (Received): 10316

I happen to think small, wealthy countries see this as a PR opportunity in some ways. The amount of news coverage the world cup bidding process will get could easily justify the cost of putting forward a bid even if you didn't think you could win. Given that likely bidding nations include England, the US, Spain and China all with huge media markets and millions of potential tourists, this might be quite a relativley cheap way of getting Quatar and Doha in the forefront of people's minds.
RobH no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #4382
*England*
Who Dares Wins

Likes (Received): 0

i dont think spain care if they win the bid or not, they see losing the bid as a way of helping them winning a bid for euros instead and by getting portugal with them it shares the cost of a costly failed WC bid, spain could host it on their own but they had it not too long ago and have racial issues the country is oblivious towards, so teaming up with portugal may remove them 2 problems, portugal will get nothing from it, and because europe will have england portugal/spain and russia bidding, it will just help a country like china australia or usa win the bid because the euro votes are being wasted on 3 different parties allowing someone like china to pip everyone to the post!

i dont even know why people say england are the faves, if fifa wasn't so corrupt yes we would be, but when the likes of blatter and warner have votes, no one is favorite, the whole of europe knows england is fave to host it yet they still bid for it, that says it all on its own.

i'd prefer a euro championship every 2 years and have nothing to do with fifa.
*England* no está en línea  
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #4383
RobH

Does anyone know how the vote works? Are delegates whose nation is submitting a bid allowed to vote, do they sit the vote out completely, or do they, like in the IOC, only vote once their nation is eliminated?
RobH no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #4384
aCidMinD81
Tres huevos

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by *England* View Post
i dont think spain care if they win the bid or not, they see losing the bid as a way of helping them winning a bid for euros instead and by getting portugal with them it shares the cost of a costly failed WC bid, spain could host it on their own but they had it not too long ago and have racial issues the country is oblivious towards, so teaming up with portugal may remove them 2 problems, portugal will get nothing from it, and because europe will have england portugal/spain and russia bidding, it will just help a country like china australia or usa win the bid because the euro votes are being wasted on 3 different parties allowing someone like china to pip everyone to the post!

i dont even know why people say england are the faves, if fifa wasn't so corrupt yes we would be, but when the likes of blatter and warner have votes, no one is favorite, the whole of europe knows england is fave to host it yet they still bid for it, that says it all on its own.

i'd prefer a euro championship every 2 years and have nothing to do with fifa.
FA urged to take action after racist taunts aimed at Middlesbrough's Mido

The Football Association have been called on to take action against Newcastle United over the racist abuse hurled at Middlesbrough striker Mido.

By Rob Stewart
Last Updated: 8:55AM GMT 02 Dec 2008

Target of taunts: Middlesbrough's Mido, seen here celebrating a league goal,
was subjected to racist terrace taunts from a section of Newcastle fans
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

The Egyptian international was briefly targeted by a section of visiting supporters during Saturday's Tyne-Tees derby for the second consecutive season, prompting an FA investigation.
Piara Power, director of Let's Kick Racism Out of Football, told The Daily Telegraph: "The FA investigated last time this happened and there were no charges but this time I don't think they'll have any option but to bring charges against Newcastle, which is absolutely right.
"That's what we are pressing for. We would like the FA to charge Newcastle and then for the police to make sure they are doing everything they can by using CCTV footage and seeing what other reports they possess that are actionable.
"We need Cleveland Police to take this by the scruff of the neck because it's a criminal offence."
Power claimed that charging Newcastle with failing to control their supporters would avert a repeat of the taunts.
"A charge sends out a very strong message and mobilises those who might otherwise sit around not being too worried about it," Power said.
"We are working with Newcastle as well and we will be pressing home the need to step up and perhaps target some of the work they are doing and look at the issue of Islamophobia.
"One of the ways we have been able to change behaviour inside stadiums is through peer pressure. Somebody stands up, says something and other fans say 'shut up, you're not representative of the club and you'll get us into trouble'."
Power added: "The first time this happened and the Sol Campbell abuse at Portsmouth by Spurs fans, initially the police response was that we can't do anything.
"But subsequently Hampshire Police started looking at CCTV footage and they will uncover individuals and bring them to court and the same thing needs to happen here."
Meanwhile, Obafemi Martins has apologised for storming down the Riverside tunnel after being substituted by Joe Kinnear in the 0-0 draw at Middlesbrough.
"Like any other player, I am always most disappointed when I am substituted," the Nigerian said. "But I am sorry if what I did was a problem and, in hindsight, perhaps it was wrong for me to go into the dressing rooms and not go on the bench."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Football.html
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #4385
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCidMinD81 View Post
FA urged to take action after racist taunts aimed at Middlesbrough's Mido

The Football Association have been called on to take action against Newcastle United over the racist abuse hurled at Middlesbrough striker Mido.

By Rob Stewart
Last Updated: 8:55AM GMT 02 Dec 2008

Target of taunts: Middlesbrough's Mido, seen here celebrating a league goal,
was subjected to racist terrace taunts from a section of Newcastle fans
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

The Egyptian international was briefly targeted by a section of visiting supporters during Saturday's Tyne-Tees derby for the second consecutive season, prompting an FA investigation.
Piara Power, director of Let's Kick Racism Out of Football, told The Daily Telegraph: "The FA investigated last time this happened and there were no charges but this time I don't think they'll have any option but to bring charges against Newcastle, which is absolutely right.
"That's what we are pressing for. We would like the FA to charge Newcastle and then for the police to make sure they are doing everything they can by using CCTV footage and seeing what other reports they possess that are actionable.
"We need Cleveland Police to take this by the scruff of the neck because it's a criminal offence."
Power claimed that charging Newcastle with failing to control their supporters would avert a repeat of the taunts.
"A charge sends out a very strong message and mobilises those who might otherwise sit around not being too worried about it," Power said.
"We are working with Newcastle as well and we will be pressing home the need to step up and perhaps target some of the work they are doing and look at the issue of Islamophobia.
"One of the ways we have been able to change behaviour inside stadiums is through peer pressure. Somebody stands up, says something and other fans say 'shut up, you're not representative of the club and you'll get us into trouble'."
Power added: "The first time this happened and the Sol Campbell abuse at Portsmouth by Spurs fans, initially the police response was that we can't do anything.
"But subsequently Hampshire Police started looking at CCTV footage and they will uncover individuals and bring them to court and the same thing needs to happen here."
Meanwhile, Obafemi Martins has apologised for storming down the Riverside tunnel after being substituted by Joe Kinnear in the 0-0 draw at Middlesbrough.
"Like any other player, I am always most disappointed when I am substituted," the Nigerian said. "But I am sorry if what I did was a problem and, in hindsight, perhaps it was wrong for me to go into the dressing rooms and not go on the bench."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Football.html
what the... you bring up an isolated incident that didn't happen easily as a retort to a comment an englishman made about spains obvious problems with racism in football... we in england don't howl @ players till they are forced to leave the pitch, yeah there are idiots but they are dealt with swiftly and heavily frowned upon, how the hell can you compare us!
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #4386
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

The key element here is that the Mido abuse was 'humorously' linked to terrorism (oh, those Mag fans, so witty), and the Sol Campbell abuse mentioned later was more about him being considered a traitor by Spurs fans than it was about his race. A taunt (again, Spurs fans being 'witty') about Campbell swinging from a tree has been taken as being a reference to lynching, when it was in fact clearly (when taken in context) a reference to Judus.

Meanwhile, Spanish fans non-stop monkey chants and booing at Emile Heskey, Rio Ferdinand, etc., during England's last visit to Spain was clearly racist.

That said, I wouldn't expect the issue to have any baring at all on who hosts the finals in 2018.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #4387
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
The key element here is that the Mido abuse was 'humorously' linked to terrorism (oh, those Mag fans, so witty), and the Sol Campbell abuse mentioned later was more about him being considered a traitor by Spurs fans than it was about his race. A taunt (again, Spurs fans being 'witty') about Campbell swinging from a tree has been taken as being a reference to lynching, when it was in fact clearly (when taken in context) a reference to Judus.

Meanwhile, Spanish fans non-stop monkey chants and booing at Emile Heskey, Rio Ferdinand, etc., during England's last visit to Spain was clearly racist.

That said, I wouldn't expect the issue to have any baring at all on who hosts the finals in 2018.
The Mido chant is actually all about Mido's supposed physical resemblance to Richard Reid - the "shoe bomber". Nothing to do with racism.

And, as you say, the Campbell song also has nothing to do with racism. It refers to a specific incident, when Campbell went missing for a few weeks and it was feared by some that, in his troubled mental state, he might commit suicide.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #4388
RobH

This will not be an issue. Spain has much bigger problems than England in this regard, but the footballing authorities would be massive hypocrites to use this as an argument after awarding 2012 to Poland:

A video on racism in football in Poland from the BBC:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x50...tball-ra_sport
RobH no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #4389
Capital78

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Does anyone know how the vote works? Are delegates whose nation is submitting a bid allowed to vote, do they sit the vote out completely, or do they, like in the IOC, only vote once their nation is eliminated?

Delegates from candidate countries are not allow to vote. The main deciding body is FIFA's 24-man executive committee. Of course we all agree that England is the biggest favourite. But, Southamerican members have 3 votes in this committee and they will surely give their votes to Spain/Portugal.
Capital78 no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #4390
RobH

Thank Capital.

So, the European block is halved from 8 votes to 4! The members from Russia, England, Belgium and Spain are out of it.

The USA's member may also be out of it and the Quatari member is also out if rumours are to be believed.

That means as few as 18 people could decide where the cup goes in 2018!

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federa...dies/exco.html
RobH no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #4391
Mad2012

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
This will not be an issue. Spain has much bigger problems than England in this regard, but the footballing authorities would be massive hypocrites to use this as an argument after awarding 2012 to Poland:

You must be an ignorant. I have lived in England, and I have to say that the problem with the racism is equal in Spain or England, Do you know the latin day in England? 3 points to punch a Spaniard, 2 points Italian and 1 point Frenchman.
Did you watch the racial problems with the asian community a few years ago? or perphaps you only read the stupid sensationalist newspapers like The Sun or Daily Mirror.
Please...
Mad2012 no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #4392
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad2012 View Post
You must be an ignorant. I have lived in England, and I have to say that the problem with the racism is equal in Spain or England, Do you know the latin day in England? 3 points to punch a Spaniard, 2 points Italian and 1 point Frenchman.
Did you watch the racial problems with the asian community a few years ago? or perphaps you only read the stupid sensationalist newspapers like The Sun or Daily Mirror.
Please...
Latin day??

Not quite sure what you're on about.

I'm sure that you are right that there are just as many racists in England as there are in Spain. But the relevant issue to this discussion is that, compared to England, Spain has not done a great deal to eradicate racism within football.

There can be no denying that fact. But let's leave it at that, shall we? This thread is about World Cup 2018 bids.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #4393
RobH

Quote:
Please...

Excuse me, but I haven't heard racist chanting at an English football game in the last decade on the scale the England team had to put with in Spain. That's a fact. And monkey chants? I'm sorry, but those haven't been heard in England in my lifetime (or if they have , I certainly can't remember them)! And before you say that was an isolated incident, it wasn't - England's U21s faced the same treatment in Spain.

Nor has an English sports minister felt the need to apologise to an opposing team and their fans because of racism. Nor has Britain been threatened with the loss of its Grand Prix in Formula 1 because of pockets of racist chanting towards a black driver. Nor did London's Olympic bid have concerns that racism inherent in sections of its nation's sports fans could affect their chances of winning.

Even the head of Spanish football's anti-racism campaign has admitted they're years behind England in this regard. That's from someone who knows, so don't tell me I'm being ignorant. He also said that racist behaviour could be seen at football matches “every week and all over the country.” The same can certainly not be said about England where racism in football grounds is now incredibly rare. Unless you're suggesting the head of the anti-racism campaign in Spain is lying or can somehow prove to me that, like Spain, “every week and all over the country” racism is heard in English grounds, then I suggest your notion that there is no difference between fans' behaivour in England and Spain is rubbish.

Isolated race riots in places like Bradford - terrible as they were - have no bearing on the subject of racism in sport so bringing them up does your argument no good and for your information I read the Independent; so that's another dumb assumption you've made that is way off the mark. Just a little note, if you're going to get much further than 5 posts here, don't accuse people whose opinions you don't agree with of being ignorant and being Sun readers. You won't last long if you do.

Last edited by RobH; January 5th, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #4394
waf

Likes (Received): 0

Latin day

Quote:
Please...
As an asian guy living in england since birth.... this is a completely new one on me! I have never heard of such rubbish. The racial problems with the asian community were gang related in the north of england, completely isolated incidents.
There are problems with race as there are in every country but compared to other places in Europe, England must be THE most tolerant place to live in. All you have to do is come and spend a few days in London my friend to really understand what a melting pot really feels like and just to experience one of the most diverse places on earth.

As jim Royle would say : " Latin day, my arse"
waf no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #4395
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Please...
You're clutching at straws, i've never even heard of this Latin Day and i have some latin blood in me.

Please lets not compare Racism in English Football to that of Spain

Spain's Racism problem (or maybe its just ignorance) is very obvious, to think what they did to Lewis Hamilton....

England is the most active country in stamping racism out of football whereas in countries like Spain the authorities bury their heads in the sand

As Waf said London is probably the most multicultural city in Europe and could never be a success if it wasn't so tolerant.
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #4396
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

Do you really think this is gonna be a key aspect to decide the host of WC2018?

If you think so, you can keep the 'who is more racist' contest.

If not, please go back on topic.
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #4397
RobH

Quote:
Do you really think this is gonna be a key aspect to decide the host of WC2018?

If you think so, you can keep the 'who is more racist' contest.

If not, please go back on topic.

No, and I said as much earlier:

Quote:

But I'm not going to keep quiet while someone accuses me of ignorance whilst coming out with tosh of their very own.

Anywho, before we got mired in this Capital78 raised a very good point; half of the European deleagtes will not be eligable to vote and South America have a good number of members in the commitee who you'd think would vote for Spain's bid. It could end up being an interesting bout between the Europeans.
RobH no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #4398
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

I cant remember exactly where I heard it, but I do remember someone at UEFA saying they would like there to be a vote among UEFA nations to decide which nation will represent Europe and bid for the World Cup so that it maximises the chances of that bid winning the rights. It's a good idea I think and I think it could be important, the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 world cup are the most competitive in recent times and I think it's not a furlong conclusion that 2018 will be in Europe.
berkshire royal no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #4399
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post

I cant remember exactly where I heard it, but I do remember someone at UEFA saying they would like there to be a vote among UEFA nations to decide which nation will represent Europe and bid for the World Cup so that it maximises the chances of that bid winning the rights. It's a good idea I think and I think it could be important, the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 world cup are the most competitive in recent times and I think it's not a furlong conclusion that 2018 will be in Europe.
Ahem....I'm quite sure that something about that sentence didn't look quite right to you!

Does "foregone conclusion" look any better? Excuse the pedantry.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #4400
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Ahem....I'm quite sure that something about that sentence didn't look quite right to you!

Does "foregone conclusion" look any better? Excuse the pedantry.
isnt there a singer called john furlong?
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup