daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 19th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #4421
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

It's less than a quarter of the stadium. Compare it with the stands. Imagine it with the distance to the pitch like Old Trafford has.
Aka no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #4422
ced_flanders

Likes (Received): 157

I Think The Netherlands deserve to host the 2018 world cup. Nobody will deny that the The Netherlands has always been a football power but has never been allowed to host. England and Spain are amazing football countries but they have hosted the WC before.
ced_flanders no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #4423
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

would it be wise for any UEFA member to vote for a joint bid from Europe considering we will be losing an extra qualification place?
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #4424
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
would it be wise for any UEFA member to vote for a joint bid from Europe considering we will be losing an extra qualification place?
Would it be wise for any UEFA member to vote for a bid from a country who didn't qualify for the last major tournament?
Aka no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #4425
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
Would it be wise for any UEFA member to vote for a bid from a country who didn't qualify for the last major tournament?
why not?
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #4426
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

Neither did Belgium qualify to the final tournaments since 2002...exactly when The Netherlands missed it.
How many times did South Korea qualify till 2002? I only know about North Korea kicking Italy once out of the group stage ( 1966? ).
South Africa missed it in 2006 as well from a very easy confederation.
What does it have to do with hosting?

As for England and Spain&Portugal they are clear favorites while Netherlands&Belgium looks more like a dream to me. Yeah, Rotterdam will have a 80.000 stadium probably, ok but the others? 1 stadium 80.000 for Brussels to host the opening match and another 4 of at least 40.000 ( disappointing for 2018 seeing so many WC that didn't limit the stadiums to the actual minimum ).
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #4427
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2717

BTW as you know WC capacity is mostly lower than all seater capacity in the league.
Does FIFA want a 80k stadium in WC mode?

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #4428
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the Gunner View Post
How many times did South Korea qualify till 2002? I only know about North Korea kicking Italy once out of the group stage ( 1966? ).
Five. The previous four and 1954. Quietly, South Korea is Asia's most powerful football nation.

Japan debuted in 1998 though. Of course, they were banned from one attempt (1950) they wouldn't have done it anyway.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #4429
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced_flanders View Post
I Think The Netherlands deserve to host the 2018 world cup. Nobody will deny that the The Netherlands has always been a football power but has never been allowed to host. England and Spain are amazing football countries but they have hosted the WC before.
You have a very short memory. Dutch football was unimpressive and unrecognised until the 1970s.
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #4430
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
sercan, what about lowering the field, adding a temporary stand with 15.000 seats and afterwards return to the original format? There is plenty of space!
While there is space between the first row of seats and the main pitch, that doesn't mean simply lowering the pitch and adding seats is feasible. For one, most fields have been designed with drainage system in mind for that particular level. Most importantly, lowering the pitch will almost certainly render the views from the rear of the first tier to less than ideal, likely unable to see the near touchline.
Quote:
My oh my... Blatter can't hide it: FIFA just wants money!
This just in...

Quote:
Did you know that for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups the minimum capacity to host the opening match or the final is 80.000?
I'm calling "web myth" on this one until proven otherwise. True, it's entirely possible that several nations already bidding for the events could pull this off but this would only serve to eventually prohibit the possible number of bidders, which as we all know runs against FIFA's (read: Blatter's) grand design. For instance, under this rule neither Japan nor S. Korea will be eligible again, all but reducing Asia's list of potential hosts to China. Not a great way to endear FIFA to the Asian Confederation. Plus, how many nations would be required to host their main matches within athletics venues to accomodate this rule? (like Russia) Again, this seems counterproductive to FIFA's overarching goal of broadening the game's appeal and having countries invest in stadium infrastructure.

Lastly, assuming some bids might only have one venue of this size the idea flies in the face of one unwritten rule: That the opening match and the finals should be held in different venues. IIRC, this has been the case in every WC for some time now, and is seen as the political gesture to allow major cities to share the spotlight. Why limit the abilities of the host nation?
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #4431
marcoman
MR-D

Likes (Received): 307

Confirma Blatter interés de México por Mundial 2018

Señala el presidente de la FIFA que los únicos países que han presentado una propuesta formal son Holanda y Bélgica; aclara que Sudamérica y África no podrán presentar candidatura, que se dará a conocer en 2011

15:50 A pesar de que el interés mostrado por México no ha sido oficial, el presidente de la Federación Internacional de Futbol Asociación (FIFA), el suizo Joseph Blatter, confirmó hoy la intención de esta nación por organizar la Copa del Mundo 2018.

El titular de la FIFA señaló que los únicos países que han presentando una propuesta formal son Holanda y Bélgica, para hacerla en conjunto, mientras que otros países han manifestado también su interés, entre ellos México.

"La FIFA ya tiene los papeles de Holanda y Bélgica y, sin que sea de forma oficial, han mostrado interés México, Estados Unidos, Inglaterra, España-Portugal (de manera conjunta), Rusia, China y Australia", aseguró.

Por otra parte, Blatter, quien acudió este día al homenaje que se realizó a Alfredo Di Stéfano en la ciudad de Madrid, aseguró que por casos contados no se puede modificar todo, en referencia a la posibilidad de aceptar el balón inteligente.

Dicho esférico, que ayudaría a resolver la duda sobre "goles fantasma", es muy caro y complicado, según el suizo, quien agregó que "hemos hecho un estudio sobre los casos en los últimos cuarenta años y han sido 42. Por un caso al año, no merece la pena cambiar todo".

Finalmente, dejó en claro que las reglamentación del futbol es la adecuada, y lo que está fallando es el arbitraje, por lo que pidió profesionalizarlo.

"Las reglas del juego son prácticamente perfectas", dijo Blatter, quien comentó que "debemos tener árbitros profesionales y ayudar".

gdh

http://www.el-universal.com.mx/notas/482919.html
marcoman no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2009, 03:22 AM   #4432
larsul
Proximamente CASAHUS.COM

Likes (Received): 90

Basically it says in spanish that Mexico is interested in orginizing the World Cup again.

however I personally see it very difficult since we had the worldcup twice and it would be nice to have in other countries as well.
SnapChat: larsul60
Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/larsul60
larsul no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #4433
Dasher39

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
England: Wembley (and maybe OT)
Spain: Camp Nou and Bernabeu
Benelux: New Rotterdam
Australia: Stadium Australia (83k) and MCG (100k)
Dasher39 no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #4434
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
You have a very short memory. Dutch football was unimpressive and unrecognised until the 1970s.
more like the 1960s... Liverpool champions of england loast 7-3 to ajax in 1966 (a team with a 19 year old cruyff), ajax then got to the final of the european cup 68/69 and feyenoord won it the following season...

So dutch football was pretty impressive during the 60s... it was unimpressive for the most part before then because it wasn't professional!!
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #4435
bigbossman

Quote:
Neither did Belgium qualify to the final tournaments since 2002...exactly when The Netherlands missed it.
What does it have to do with hosting?
footy knowledge lacking slightly... sure you're a gooner...

as mentioned south korea had qualified to all tournaments from 1986

when south africa were awarded the tournament in 2004, they had played in the last two world cups and had acquitted themselves favourably...

With regards to them not qualifying in 2006, south africa finished (joint) second in a group which was topped by a resurgent and very good ghana team who until then had never qualified so weren't seeded... this ghana team got to the second round, and included a midfield of michael essien(chelsea) , stephen appiah (then of juventus)and sulley muntari (internazionale)... come on!!!

Also Africa isn't an easy confederation as you put it... they are travelling huge distances to in some cases play in conditions that even sunday footballers aren't used to on pitches which are a joke... The seedings were all wrong also... cameroon were in the same qualifying group as ivory coast... possibly the strongest two african nations etc
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #4436
PaulFCB
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
footy knowledge lacking slightly... sure you're a gooner...

as mentioned south korea had qualified to all tournaments from 1986
My mistake, not that i lived to see the 1986 World Cup but still what does it have to do with hosting ffs?

Quote:
With regards to them not qualifying in 2006, south africa finished (joint) second in a group which was topped by a resurgent and very good ghana team who until then had never qualified so weren't seeded... this ghana team got to the second round, and included a midfield of michael essien(chelsea) , stephen appiah (then of juventus)and sulley muntari (internazionale)... come on!!!
Not that the African confederation is so important to watch but it's not my fault in football not only the seeded teams qualify. And its no excuse to not qualify because Ghana had 3 players known to you but generally you don't build a team with 3 players unless if you play Beach Football. Essien might be known world-wide but I don't know how Appiah sounds to everybody's ear while Muntari was not at Internazionale, neither at Portsmouth till 2007, he was playing for Udinese and it's not like he was a superstar.
South Africa was toped by Zair also with equal points.

Quote:
Also Africa isn't an easy confederation as you put it... they are travelling huge distances to in some cases play in conditions that even sunday footballers aren't used to on pitches which are a joke... The seedings were all wrong also... cameroon were in the same qualifying group as ivory coast... possibly the strongest two african nations etc
Cameroon and Ivory Coast? IMO Egypt was in that group also and they kinda kicked Cameroon's and Ivory Coasts at the last 2 African Cup of Nations.
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #4437
bigbossman

Quote:
My mistake, not that i lived to see the 1986 World Cup but still what does it have to do with hosting ffs?
You made the point and asked the question...

Quote:
How many times did South Korea qualify till 2002?
i was barely 1 in 1986, but i recall them at USA 94 and France 98, and for the most part i know my football

Quote:
Not that the African confederation is so important to watch but it's not my fault in football not only the seeded teams qualify..
I never said it was your fault... you made the point that the confederation is weak when it is not...

Quote:
And its no excuse to not qualify because Ghana had 3 players known to you but generally you don't build a team with 3 players unless if you play Beach Football.
listen to what you are saying... i infact said

Quote:
this ghana team got to the second round, and included a midfield of michael essien(chelsea) , stephen appiah (then of juventus)and sulley muntari (internazionale)...
I highlighted three players in a talented midfield which i thought you as someone with limited knowledge of the game would have heard about... Of course a team is more than 3 players... but many teams have been less than three players (in quality terms) in the past and gone on to success, come on

Quote:
Essien might be known world-wide but I don't know how Appiah sounds to everybody's ear
Appiah is a very well known footballer, to people who know the game,

Quote:
while Muntari was not at Internazionale, neither at Portsmouth till 2007
Before the world cup sulley muntari was considered one of the most sought after midfielders in Europe, Portsmouth shelled out a lot of money for him, and the only reason he went there before a bigger club is down to his disciplinary reocrd etc

Quote:
he was playing for Udinese and it's not like he was a superstar.
This is the same Udinese who played champions league football in 2004/05... the season before... come on dude

Quote:
and i found that a typical comment of an ill informed person... which it was and still is...

Quote:
South Africa was toped by Zair also with equal points.
and DRC (Not Zaire or even Zair as you put it) are also a talented team... and i infact mention that south africa finished level with them...

Quote:
Cameroon and Ivory Coast? IMO Egypt was in that group also and they kinda kicked Cameroon's and Ivory Coasts at the last 2 African Cup of Nations.
It's not your opinion it's a fact that Egypt were in their group... with regards to them kicking cameroon and ivory coast LOLs, i would hardly use that description.... In 2006 they hosted the tournament... a massive advantage and won the final against the Ivorians on penalties... In 2008 which is irrelevant to 2006 they beat cameroon 1-0 in the final.... I didn't mention egypt because as mentioned i wanted to get onto your level as your football knowledge is limited...

Don't take this the wrong way but how long have you been watching football?? seems like 2-3 years to me!

Last edited by bigbossman; January 20th, 2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #4438
PaulFCB
BANNED

Quote:
This is the same Udinese who played champions league football in 2004/05... the season before... come on dude
And what does this have to do with AFC?
I just mentioned Muntari didn't play for Inter then and that he wasn't any kind o superstar.
And yes, what did you think? I didn't know Udinese played in the Champions League?

Quote:
Yes Egypt were in their group... with regards to them kicking cameroon and ivory coast LOLs, i would hardly use that description.... In 2006 they hosted the tournament... a massive advantage and won the final against the Ivorians on penalties... In 2008 which is irrelevant to 2006 they beat cameroon 1-0 in teh final.... I didn't mention egypt because as mentioned i wanted to get onto your level as you football knowledge seems limited...
It means you didn't see the group stage game between them ( also in 2006 they played the final with Ivory Coast they faced in the group stage ) while in 2008 they crushed them in the semi's and it was you who used the present when considering Cameroon & Ivory Coast the strongest.
I don't know about my football knowledge but surely don't give much of a damn at the age I had in 1994 ( and even 1998 )what the hell did South Korea at the World Cup when in that period I was only interested in my own national team's performance that weren't bad at all, of course excepting the final rounds and important games. But really this discussion is totally off-topic and starting from the idea the hosts would be chosen out of countries that only qualify up to South Africa's qualifying system I really dun care about even though I enjoy seeing Egypt at the last 2 Africans Cup of Nations
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #4439
bigbossman

Selective quoting

Quote:
And what does this have to do with AFC?
I just mentioned Muntari didn't play for Inter then and that he wasn't any kind o superstar.
Is was never meant to be anything to do with AFc or even CAF. You made a derogatory comment towards sulley muntari and the club he was playing for and i highlighted the fact that udinese were hardly no marks

Quote:
It means you didn't see the group stage game between them ( also in 2006 they played the final with Ivory Coast they faced in the group stage )
Yeah ok, because it wasn't shown live on BBC sport, and my housemate at university isn't ethnically egyptian...

Quote:
while in 2008 they crushed them in the semi's and it was you who used the present when considering Cameroon & Ivory Coast the strongest.
Did u even watch the semi final against ivory coast or did you just read that on the internet??? it was an even game, in which the score heavily flattered Egypt....

Quote:
I don't know about my football knowledge but surely don't give much of a damn at the age I had in 1994 ( and even 1998 )what the hell did South Korea at the World Cup when in that period I was only interested in my own national team's performance that weren't bad at all, of course excepting the final rounds but really this discussion is totally off-topic and starting from the idea the hosts would be chosen out of countries that only qualify to South Africa's qualifying system I really dun care about even though I enjoy seeing Egypt at the last 2 Africans Cup of Nations
WHAT? that was hard to comprehend, yes it was off topic but it was relevant, as you made points that were factually inaccurate in an attempt to undermine others comments... therefore it was only fair and right that your comments were also put in their place.

LOL ne line added

Quote:
And yes, what did you think? I didn't know Udinese played in the Champions League?
i sincerely believe you didn't actually
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #4440
PaulFCB
BANNED

Quote:
Did u even watch the semi final against ivory coast or did you just read that on the internet??? it was an even game, in which the score heavily flattered Egypt....
Supposing I read it on the Internet, probably I would have read it from a journalist who knows what he's talking about and that saw the game so what a hell of a difference it makes?
And yes, I saw that game and IMO Egypt were way over Ivory Coast even if they games would have finished 2-1 or 3-1...

But whatever, I see you kinda have nothing to do else then expanding a off topic discussion, maybe go to school/work in this precious time?
PaulFCB no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup