daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 1st, 2009, 06:24 AM   #4501
nazrey

Likes (Received): 10715

Australia Bids To Stage 2018 World Cup
February 01, 2009 11:19 AM
By Neville D'Cruz

MELBOURNE, Feb 1 (Bernama) -- Australia have formally lodged their bid to host the 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cup, Football Federation Australia (FFA) Chairman Frank Lowy said today.

Initial expressions of interest to FIFA, the world governing body for the sport, are required from bidding nations by Monday.

"We have submitted Australia's expression of interest in hosting either the 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cup," Lowy said in a statement.

"This marks the beginning of a long and important journey, not just for football but for Australia, until we know the outcome in December next year.

"As a nation, sport has provided some of our most compelling and defining national memories," he said.

"The bid will also help the world understand that Australia is a 'can do' country, where important, major events can happen with a minimum of fuss and a minimum of worry," he said.

He was confident of success despite the strong field of candidates from around the world.

"We know we have the capacity, experience and expertise to deliver a successful FIFA World Cup," he said.

Lowy said the next milestone in the journey to host the FIFA World Cup would occur in mid-March when further bid documentation is required.

-- BERNAMA
nazrey no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:41 PM   #4502
dacrio

Likes (Received): 0

i think that spain/portugal and benelux are in
dacrio no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM   #4503
peezet

Likes (Received): 17

Is it an England bid
or a UK bid (just in England or also in Scotland and Wales ...)
(speaking of joint bids)
peezet no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:56 PM   #4504
canarywondergod

Likes (Received): 83

purely england only, a uk bid would never happen, there was talk of wales and scotland having a bid for an upcoming euro tournament but nothing more has been said on that matter
canarywondergod no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:19 AM   #4505
dacrio

so the battle for 2018 is between Russia and England without Spain and Ned
dacrio no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:46 AM   #4506
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 22

Add Mexico
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM   #4507
plasticterminator

Likes (Received): 16

I agree with most posters on here, its a straight fight for 2018 between England and Russia and 2022 between China and Australia. But dont knock other bidders whose chances seem remote. The way it works you have to bid at least once sometimes three times to be in with a chance. (unless you are mexico and usa who bid for every world cup and olympic games regardless!)
plasticterminator no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM   #4508
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Found this story on another forum, sorry i don't have a link to it just yet though.....

China not bidding for World Cup

China will not submit bids to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup finals, local media reports said on Monday.

After the successful hosting of last August's Beijing Olympics and the 2007 women's World Cup finals, China was expected to officially register its interest in bidding for the tournaments before Monday's FIFA deadline.

"In China, the decision of whether to bid for an international sports event like the World Cup is decided by the government ... the possibility of bidding for the World Cup is zero," Beijing Youth Daily quoted an unnamed official at the Chinese Football Association (CFA) as saying.

No one at the CFA was immediately available for comment.

A spokesman for the CFA said last October that China was mulling a bid for the World Cup finals and FIFA President Sepp Blatter said last month that the world's most populous nation was among 10 potential bidders.

Monday's report, however, cited several CFA officials as saying they had not heard of any intention to bid and the recent reorganisation of the governing body would have made it impossible to make a decision in time.

Nan Yong, who presided over China's successful hosting of the 2007 women's World Cup, formally replaced Xie Yalong as head of the CFA in mid January.

If no expression of intent is forthcoming from the CFA before Monday's deadline expires, it makes a bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics more likely.

Officials in the state-run sports administration previously said China would not bid for both the 2018 World Cup finals and Winter Games.

The governor of the northeastern province of Heilongjiang said in December that a successful Winter University Games in Harbin this month could be the catalyst for an attempt to attract the Winter Olympics to China in 2018 or 2022.

England, Japan, Qatar, Mexico, Australia, Russia and the United States have declared themselves in the running for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup finals. The decision will be announced in December next year.

Great news for Australia!
Wezza no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM   #4509
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticterminator View Post
I agree with most posters on here, its a straight fight for 2018 between England and Russia and 2022 between China and Australia. But dont knock other bidders whose chances seem remote. The way it works you have to bid at least once sometimes three times to be in with a chance. (unless you are mexico and usa who bid for every world cup and olympic games regardless!)
I wouldn't discount the USA for 2022 if I were you. The quality of stadiums and money making potential of the US make it very, very appealing to FIFA. I think the US will get 2022, with Australia nabbing 2026.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM   #4510
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 1616

heres a link http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/8338058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Found this story on another forum, sorry i don't have a link to it just yet though.....

China not bidding for World Cup

China will not submit bids to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup finals, local media reports said on Monday.

After the successful hosting of last August's Beijing Olympics and the 2007 women's World Cup finals, China was expected to officially register its interest in bidding for the tournaments before Monday's FIFA deadline.

"In China, the decision of whether to bid for an international sports event like the World Cup is decided by the government ... the possibility of bidding for the World Cup is zero," Beijing Youth Daily quoted an unnamed official at the Chinese Football Association (CFA) as saying.

No one at the CFA was immediately available for comment.

A spokesman for the CFA said last October that China was mulling a bid for the World Cup finals and FIFA President Sepp Blatter said last month that the world's most populous nation was among 10 potential bidders.

Monday's report, however, cited several CFA officials as saying they had not heard of any intention to bid and the recent reorganisation of the governing body would have made it impossible to make a decision in time.

Nan Yong, who presided over China's successful hosting of the 2007 women's World Cup, formally replaced Xie Yalong as head of the CFA in mid January.

If no expression of intent is forthcoming from the CFA before Monday's deadline expires, it makes a bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics more likely.

Officials in the state-run sports administration previously said China would not bid for both the 2018 World Cup finals and Winter Games.

The governor of the northeastern province of Heilongjiang said in December that a successful Winter University Games in Harbin this month could be the catalyst for an attempt to attract the Winter Olympics to China in 2018 or 2022.

England, Japan, Qatar, Mexico, Australia, Russia and the United States have declared themselves in the running for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup finals. The decision will be announced in December next year.

Great news for Australia!

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE
docker no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM   #4511
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Yeah i just found the link as well, cheers!
Wezza no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM   #4512
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

That's quite a surprise to me, I really thought China would be bidding. I guess 2018 is for Europe and 2022 will be between the USA and Australia now!
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:19 PM   #4513
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Wow, that is a bit of a shock. I could understand them being hesitant about 2018 but I would have thought they would have had great interest in 2022. I would have thought of them as frontrunners along with the U.S. (if England got 2018). Odd.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #4514
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

South Korea and Egypt are also in the race apperantly. So that makes:

- Japan
- Indonesia
- Qatar
- Australia
- England
- Russia
- Mexico
- USA
- Belgium / Netherlands
- Spain / Portugal
- South Korea
- Egypt

Looks like half the world is going to bid for these two world cups
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #4515
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

By the way, the Republic of Korea (now that's what I call a rivalry: they just love Japan) and Egypt are also in. But since Africa can't host the 2018 tournament I guess Egypt is only bidding for 2022.
Aka no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:42 AM   #4516
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post

- Japan
- Indonesia
- Qatar
- Australia
- England
- Russia
- Mexico
- USA
- Belgium / Netherlands
- Spain / Portugal
- South Korea
- Egypt

Isn't it North Korea actually?
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:51 AM   #4517
Aka

No, it's South.
Aka no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:14 AM   #4518
dacrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post

- Japan
- Indonesia
- Qatar
- Australia
- England
- Russia
- Mexico
- USA
- Belgium / Netherlands
- Spain / Portugal
- South Korea
- Egypt

is there an official comunication of fifa?
dacrio no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:45 AM   #4519
dacrio

By Mark Ledsom

BERNE, Switzerland (Reuters) - Up to 12 bids from across four continents are expected to compete to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups as the deadline approaches for countries to put their names forward.

The list of potential bidders to have expressed their initial interest in staging one of the tournaments grew to a dozen Monday when FIFA confirmed the late entry of Egypt and South Korea.

World soccer's governing body is due to publish the final list Tuesday. Barring any further late additions it should comprise five bids from Asia, four from Europe, two from the Americas and one from Africa.

South Korea and Japan, who jointly hosted the World Cup in 2002, will go up against each other this time round with Indonesia, Qatar and Australia completing the Asian quintet.

The 1966 World Cup hosts England face competition on their own continent from Russia and joint applicants Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belgium.

Egypt, Mexico and 1994 hosts the United States complete the list.

There is confusion though over FIFA president Sepp Blatter's opposition to joint bids and the extent to which his views reflect official policy.

Blatter told reporters at a meeting of the South American Football Confederation last week that "as soon as there is a (sole) candidacy or three or four relevant candidacies, we are directly going to reject the double candidacies."

SPAIN PRESSURE

A spokesman told Reuters Monday that FIFA would consider joint bids from countries who were not capable of hosting a World Cup on their own.

"Countries capable of staging the event alone should do so," added the spokesman in a clarification that will increase pressure on Spain to ditch its planned partnership with Portugal.

FIFA rules dictate World Cup finals can only be staged on continents that have not hosted either of the two preceding editions, meaning bidders will primarily have to concern themselves with seeing off their nearest geographical rivals.

If the European and Asian members of FIFA's executive committee fail to agree on the strongest candidate in their regions during the final vote in December 2010, the United States, Mexico or Egypt could benefit.

South American countries were unable to put themselves forward for either tournament due to Brazil's scheduled hosting of the 2014 version.

Following South Africa's staging of the 2010 World Cup, African nations were free to apply for the 2022 event but Egypt look set to be the only ones to do so

The bidding process has been further complicated by FIFA's decision to offer up two World Cups simultaneously.

FIFA is yet to reveal how the process will work or whether the 24-member executive committee will first choose the 2018 hosts before turning to 2022.

The ruling body will send full details of the bidding process to all applicants on February 16.

Final bid dossiers have to be submitted by May 2010 with FIFA's executive committee casting its decisive votes seven months later.

(Editing by Justin Palmer and Tony Jimenez)

http://www.reuters.com/article/sport...BrandChannel=0
dacrio no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:51 AM   #4520
Aka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrio View Post
is there an official comunication of fifa?
They'll show the final list tomorrow.
Aka no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup