daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 17th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #441
Boot Wheat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The winning nation should host it. If that means a smaller World Cup one year, then so be it.
Boot Wheat no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #442
NFLeuropefan

Likes (Received): 1

Just wondering what you think of this. How about having a single elimination tournament where the better seeded team hosts the game, but no single country hosts the tournament....... Kind of the like playoffs in the US.... That's a view from a person with very little knowledge of the World Cup.......
NFLeuropefan no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #443
Shumbi

Likes (Received): 6

I dont think Australia should host 2018 world cup because as stated by others, it would mean 16 years for WC away from europe. So I say England 2018 but Australia should bid for 2022.
You shouldn't think of Australia as 20 million people because FIFA rightly sees it for all intensive purposes as part of Asia. In TV terms, when Australians are waking up at 3am to watch Germany06, so will the chinese, Japanese, Korean and other Asian fans. An Australian world cup would be in an ideal timezone to reach the east asian audience that holds so much potential for FIFA.
Shumbi no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #444
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumbi
I dont think Australia should host 2018 world cup because as stated by others, it would mean 16 years for WC away from europe. So I say England 2018 but Australia should bid for 2022.
You shouldn't think of Australia as 20 million people because FIFA rightly sees it for all intensive purposes as part of Asia. In TV terms, when Australians are waking up at 3am to watch Germany06, so will the chinese, Japanese, Korean and other Asian fans. An Australian world cup would be in an ideal timezone to reach the east asian audience that holds so much potential for FIFA.
Even though most of the world's population lives closer to Australia's time zone (contrary to what you euros might think) australia just doesn't seem right to me. It might be beacuse the nation itslef only has 20 million people and only a few large cities capable of sustaining 40 000+ stadiums.
Zaki no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #445
Shumbi

Likes (Received): 6

Hears the deal Englanders. We'll support you lot for 2018 if yous promise to talk up Australia over China for 2022. Think of it as a protest if China haven't sorted out human rights abuses by then. Japanese/Koreans/Indians and others would be less reluctant to visit Australia than China which is hostile to Japan.
I think China would host a better World Cup the next time its Asias turn like 2034/2040 or something.
Also, by 2020, i think football will be probably number 2 code in Aust. We would take it seriously and give the game the centre stage it deserves.
Shumbi no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #446
victory

England for 2018!!!

It's been long enough, and they surely have the facilities and interest. The only problem could be England's soccer hoons, but they manage to go to every world cup wherever it is so that cannot be avoided anyway.
victory no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #447
alesmarv

Likes (Received): 28

It would be nice if the 2018 world cup would be held in one of the ex eastern block countries, such as Czech republic, Slovakia, Poland, Ukrain, Rusia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria or a combination of two or more of these countries. These countries deserve it and I gurantee you would have a much better world cup than in say Germany or England. By the way I doubt North America will get a world cup anytime soon because part of the deal to get the 94 cup America had to set up a Soccer league(MLS), unfourtunetly this league is not doing so well and has never turned a profit.
alesmarv no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #448
Boot Wheat
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv
It would be nice if the 2018 world cup would be held in one of the ex eastern block countries, such as Czech republic, Slovakia, Poland, Ukrain, Rusia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria or a combination of two or more of these countries. These countries deserve it and I gurantee you would have a much better world cup than in say Germany or England. By the way I doubt North America will get a world cup anytime soon because part of the deal to get the 94 cup America had to set up a Soccer league(MLS), unfourtunetly this league is not doing so well and has never turned a profit.
The World Cup is supposed to be fun for the fans! I think I'd rather go and watch it in Iraq than any of those godforsaken grey and dreary hell holes.
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #449
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

^

At least Iraq has plenty of sun. Those Eastern European nations do have a disproportionate amount of incredibly attractive women, or maybe I had too much of the local brews whilst visiting!
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #450
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv
I doubt we'll see that(well maybe Russia) as those nations can also go for the european championships which are much more inline with their resources when it comes to stadiums.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #451
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Hears the deal Englanders. We'll support you lot for 2018 if yous promise to talk up Australia over China for 2022. Think of it as a protest if China haven't sorted out human rights abuses by then.
you have yourself a deal, my friend. let the former members of the british empire vote in unison to ensure the delivery of this great footballing event throughout our commonwealth.
Noostairz no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #452
Wizard04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martuh
Greece doesn't have a chance, can't even host a EC. UK would be good, better then England because of more and bigger stadiums.

Greece hosted the Olympic games which is a huge event but as we don't have so many big stadiums and mostly because we don't need them, I'd vote for Spain which is a very nice country with warn and sunny weather and foremost capable of hosting an event of this calibre.
Wizard04 no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #453
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

I agree, I can't imagine the World Cup being hosted in Greece - just not got a big enough league and population, besides Basketball is almost as big as Football there, if my understanding is right? You did however host a superb Olympics, I wish it came to Greece more often.
Old April 17th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #454
Boot Wheat
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
I agree, I can't imagine the World Cup being hosted in Greece - just not got a big enough league and population, besides Basketball is almost as big as Football there, if my understanding is right? You did however host a superb Olympics, I wish it came to Greece more often.
Oh yes let's let the wonderful Greeks hold more Olympics so that these idiots can poison all the strays and send gangs around with iron bars to break their backs leaving these dogs to endure slow, painful deaths. The Greeks should never be allowed to host an Olympics ever again. In fact, they should be banned from competing for the next 50 years as punishment. Scum.

Quote:
THOUSANDS of cats and dogs have died agonising deaths from poisoning on the streets and beach fronts of Athens in the run-up to the Summer Olympics
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...1/ixworld.html

http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/20...k_tragedy.html

http://www.idausa.org/athens/Athens_Dogs_Cats_NE.jpg

Last edited by Boot Wheat; April 17th, 2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #455
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

^right Bubomb....

anyway it better be England for 2018 as we deserve it more than any other European nation and i'll cry if we don't (i dont want to be an old has been when they do finally reach our shore!).
Madman no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #456
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

I think we have a very good chance of getting it, and I know you were only joking, but I think our biggest fallback is the way we automatically think we're entitled to it, just because we invented the game, and its been a while since we've hosted it. We'll need to have a better bid than Spain if we're going to get it. Emotional claims to being the "home of football" (when at the same time we make the boast of it being the "world's sport) really isn't going to do anything for any of the FIFA Delegates voting.

We've got other excellent reasons for hosting it, better to play on these.
Old April 17th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #457
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Hears the deal Englanders. We'll support you lot for 2018 if yous promise to talk up Australia over China for 2022. Think of it as a protest if China haven't sorted out human rights abuses by then. Japanese/Koreans/Indians and others would be less reluctant to visit Australia than China which is hostile to Japan.
I think China would host a better World Cup the next time its Asias turn like 2034/2040 or something.
Also, by 2020, i think football will be probably number 2 code in Aust. We would take it seriously and give the game the centre stage it deserves.
Thats fine by me
Old April 18th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #458
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard04
I'd vote for Spain which is a very nice country with warn and sunny weather and foremost capable of hosting an event of this calibre.
Spain is deffinitely not foremost capable of hosting an event of this calibre! England, despite it's very unpredictable climate and weather conditions, is far more suited to holding sporting events then Spain, for lots of deifferent reasons, such as bigger budgets, better organisation, more support, higher number of higher quality stadiums, and a severe lack of racist football supporters when compared to Spain. I don't have anything against Spain here btw, I'm just stating the facts of the matter.

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old April 18th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #459
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

I wouldn't crticise them soo heavily, i just think their stadia ain't good enough
Old April 18th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #460
Boot Wheat
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim
Spain is deffinitely not foremost capable of hosting an event of this calibre! England, despite it's very unpredictable climate and weather conditions, is far more suited to holding sporting events then Spain, for lots of deifferent reasons, such as bigger budgets, better organisation, more support, higher number of higher quality stadiums, and a severe lack of racist football supporters when compared to Spain. I don't have anything against Spain here btw, I'm just stating the facts of the matter.

The weather in England is far superior to that of Spain (or anywhere else in the world come to that) with regards football. It's perfect for it.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup