daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 11th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #4641
miguelon

Likes (Received): 304

2018 England is a must....

I think 2022 will go for USA, for me is great because Mexico will be like the local team ( we get 60,000 or more fans every international friendly... imagine that on a world cup)

but what I dont like about a USA WC, is that when there is a big event, security is so tight, that fans cant "enjoy" I mean, no big flags on stadiums, not a lot of beer, usually police spreads crowds celebrating in the streets, a big headache the US migration (a lot of fans having trouble for a US visa). Still we will seee again huge crowds.

And I say this because, I have been able to attend big US events (baseball world series, collage football bowl games, Indy racing, NFL playoffs, etc), and they just dont let the fans do stuff, amercian fans are so use to a lot of security that dont even seem to bother.
miguelon no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #4642
co_cool

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
If FIFA start pandering to terrorists, then you effectively rule out India; Pakistan; England; Spain; Peru; Colombia; Indonesia and a whole host of other Muslim countries. Probably a whole host of other European countries too.

Therefore, I very much doubt that FIFA will go down that route. They will simply ensure that security provisions for any bid are as thorough as they possibly can be.

Only if there is an unacceptable level of risk (ie war or civil war) would FIFA refuse to consider a bid.

i didnt said about terrorist
but we talk about fans all over the world.....

just for example
i think before we go to stadium we must have more than 3 security control, and maybe beer is not allowed to enter stadium because of too dangerous, or maybe not allowed to bring big flag because too dangerous,...or brought a bag is not allowed to enter the stadium,...etc...etc.....

and i am sure if USA to be host, they will have really and extreme2 tight security control start from their embassy where u apply a visa.... ( the most difficult country to get visa is still USA ) and as a fans that will be a really big problem.

better Australia or other country as a host,...they are a little bit "open"....
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #4643
nandofutbolero

Likes (Received): 1

yeah I'm sure the security will be pretty tight !!!!! no flags no beer"cerveza gallo,corona" haha no nothing !!!oh man!!! could be.
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #4644
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_cool View Post

i didnt said about terrorist
but we talk about fans all over the world.....

just for example
i think before we go to stadium we must have more than 3 security control, and maybe beer is not allowed to enter stadium because of too dangerous, or maybe not allowed to bring big flag because too dangerous,...or brought a bag is not allowed to enter the stadium,...etc...etc.....

and i am sure if USA to be host, they will have really and extreme2 tight security control start from their embassy where u apply a visa.... ( the most difficult country to get visa is still USA ) and as a fans that will be a really big problem.

better Australia or other country as a host,...they are a little bit "open"....
I've travelled to the USA and within the USA frequently.

I've never experienced 3 hour security delays - at sporting events, at concerts or even at airports. I have, however, suffered appalling delays and been subjected to disgraceful treatment by police when entering stadiums in continental Europe.

You say that we may not be allowed to take beer into a stadium in the US.....where on earth can you take beer into a stadium? Never, in all my years of going to football matches have I been able to do that.

As to big flags, I have rarely, if ever, seen them at World Cup finals. They are usually only ever seen at club matches - not international matches. So things will be no different in the USA.

And bags? I'm sure that bags would be allowed but, as is always the case in England at least (and probably elsewhere), bags will be checked. It's not a problem.

And yes, the US strictly monitors the distribution of visas. But it's not so very different from other countries in that respect - Russia, for instance and China, to name but two. So long as you are sufficiently organised and don't leave it to the last minute, you will be able to get your visa.

Finally, you should remember that any security measures are in place for the benefit of the fans. So why complain?

I'm quite certain that, whatever other reasons there may be for FIFA not to award a particular World Cup to the US, security issues will not be among them.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #4645
RobH

Likes (Received): 10316

FIFA do not allow alcohol to be sold at venues for competitive internationals anywhere. I found this when I went to Wembley to watch England in one of their World Cup qualifiers last year. They do sell beer at Wembley but couldn't at this match as it was under FIFA's juristication (for want of a better word).

Security will be just as tight anywhere because FIFA will be overseeing it and making sure it's up to their standards. And as JimB said, if I had a choice between the Spanish and the US police, I'd go for the yanks every time; policing football on parts of the continent is something they really need to improve.
RobH no está en línea  
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #4646
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
FIFA do not allow alcohol to be sold at venues for competitive internationals anywhere. I found this when I went to Wembley to watch England in one of their World Cup qualifiers last year. They do sell beer at Wembley but couldn't at this match as it was under FIFA's juristication (for want of a better word).

Security will be just as tight anywhere because FIFA will be overseeing it and making sure it's up to their standards. And as JimB said, if I had a choice between the Spanish and the US police, I'd go for the yanks every time; policing football on parts of the continent is something they really need to improve.
The behaviour (and lack of organisation) of Italian police for football matches also leaves much to be desired.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #4647
RobH

Yeh, but the Italians aren't bidding, that's why I didn't mention them.
RobH no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #4648
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelon View Post
2018 England is a must....

I think 2022 will go for USA, for me is great because Mexico will be like the local team ( we get 60,000 or more fans every international friendly... imagine that on a world cup)

but what I dont like about a USA WC, is that when there is a big event, security is so tight, that fans cant "enjoy" I mean, no big flags on stadiums, not a lot of beer, usually police spreads crowds celebrating in the streets, a big headache the US migration (a lot of fans having trouble for a US visa). Still we will seee again huge crowds.

And I say this because, I have been able to attend big US events (baseball world series, collage football bowl games, Indy racing, NFL playoffs, etc), and they just dont let the fans do stuff, amercian fans are so use to a lot of security that dont even seem to bother.
So what?? That's not an excuse, i preffer that than not having safety.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #4649
=NaNdA=
Liverpool holic

Likes (Received): 642

even in other countries.. Security check is a must...

remember, you enter a stadium with 50.000 people, and there is one person
want to do same chaos?? oh no..
=NaNdA= no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #4650
ced_flanders

Likes (Received): 157

I don't understand why everyone is focussing on the stadiums so much, we're talking about 2018 and 2022 here! You can easily build new stadiums in that time, and the ones that are modern now will be old fashioned by then.

Personally I think The Netherlands deserves to host, they are the biggest footballing country that has never hosted the World Cup. (A very big World Cup history and a current fifa ranking of #3) but I don't think they will get it.
ced_flanders no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #4651
marching
the art of sky

Likes (Received): 2

2002 for Japan and Korea, my feeling on 2022 for amazing island.... Indonesia.
They have a good theme for this event... I heard from TV, "GREEN WORLD CUP 2022"
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #4652
tollfreak
Valid User

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marching View Post
2002 for Japan and Korea, my feeling on 2022 for amazing island.... Indonesia.
They have a good theme for this event... I heard from TV, "GREEN WORLD CUP 2022"
Indonesia upbeat to host `green' World Cup

Tony Hotland , The Jakarta Post , Jakarta | Tue, 02/10/2009 2:40 PM | Sports

The Soccer Association of Indonesia (PSSI) is moving to kick off its campaign to host the 2022 World Cup, its chairman Nurdin Halid said.

PSSI is campaigning for the heart of world's soccer ruling body FIFA by sounding out its World Cup host country proposal to FIFA members and hosting the FIFA president next month.

In a presentation Monday, Nurdin said he believed Indonesia stood a chance to win FIFA's approval to host the 2022 World Cup, despite the relatively poorer infrastructure, coupled with the low quality of the national squad compared to other candidates.

He said Indonesia had proposed a "Green World Cup 2022", hoping to capitalize on the current green and global warming movement worldwide.

"Our deforestation rate has contributed much to world pollution. By hosting the World Cup, we wish to build infrastructure and facilities that are environmentally friendly so we can give more to the planet," he said.

The PSSI, he said, would send its proposal this week to FIFA members to give them an idea of what Indonesia was offering.

Nurdin added that FIFA president Joseph S. Blatter would pay a visit to Indonesia "sometime in March", but declined to disclose the agenda.

He also said the construction of 10 new stadiums across the country, ranging in capacity from 40,000 to 50,000 spectators, were expected to be completed by 2015.

These stadiums are in Surabaya, Makassar, Medan, Tangerang, Yogyakarta and Gianyar.

Indonesia currently has three stadiums - Gelora Bung Karno in Jakarta, Gelora Sriwijaya in Palembang and Palaran in Samarinda.

Other countries also bidding for the 2022 World Cup are Australia, Belgium and the Netherlands (as co-hosts), England, Japan, Russia, Mexico, the United States, South Korea, Qatar and Spain and Portugal (as co-hosts).

State Minister for Sports and Youth Affairs Adhyaksa Dault said the government was upbeat about the proposal and would "provide assistance in all aspects".

"What needs to be remembered is that all efforts must be integrated and coordinated," he said.

Adhyaksa also pointed out that Mexico and Brazil, which he said were not well-off countries, had twice played host to world soccer's showpiece event.

"Hoping that we'll be better in 2022, I think we could be a good host," he said.

FIFA is scheduled to announce the 2022 host on Dec. 10, 2010.

Indonesia has hosted a number of international conferences and sporting events, including the 2007 UN Climate Change Conference and last year's inaugural Asian Beach Games.

However, critics have snubbed the proposal, saying Indonesia needs to improve the quality of its national squad first (currently ranked 144th in the world) before seeking to hog the world stage.

Despite the sport's wide popularity here, soccer is barely an industry yet, while thousands of clubs are still rated amateur.

In addition, fanaticism among local soccer fans has led to several chaotic incidents that have resulted in fatalities and financial losses.
tollfreak no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #4653
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced_flanders View Post
I don't understand why everyone is focussing on the stadiums so much, we're talking about 2018 and 2022 here! You can easily build new stadiums in that time, and the ones that are modern now will be old fashioned by then.

Personally I think The Netherlands deserves to host, they are the biggest footballing country that has never hosted the World Cup. (A very big World Cup history and a current fifa ranking of #3) but I don't think they will get it.
Countries like England, Spain and the US with advanced sports infrastucture will not be doing much building work before a world cup. The focus is therefore on the current stadiums, what can be expanded and what's needed.

What else do you suggest we focus on?
RobH no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #4654
marching
the art of sky

Likes (Received): 2

All bid countries has a same chance... nothing is possible, and economic crisis still continue..
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #4655
Bezzi

Likes (Received): 995

When the Bid Books with stadiums plans will be released??? I'm curious.
Bezzi no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #4656
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced_flanders View Post
Maybe it's because this is an architectural based forum and stadiums are needed to host sporting events.

I don't know, I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzi View Post
When the Bid Books with stadiums plans will be released??? I'm curious.
I can't find an exact timeline but I don't think we'll have anything like an official draft for each bid until next year. The decision is made in late 2010, and between now and then the bidding nations will be doing internal feasibility studies to identify candidate cities and venues for FIFA to consider. If Brazil is a valid model then we're looking at about 14-18 candidates per host, and it will take several months for various nations to identify the serious contenders for those spots. Yes, most allocations are already assured but there's going to be a lot of discussion about the options for the last 3-4 sites. I'm guessing between now and December we'll also see 1-2 bids withdrawn or "scaled back" once they realize the return on investment isn't there and/or they realize they're unlikely to win.

I'd imagine that about this time next year is when we see the potential venue improvements for candidate cities, in time to build hype for both their bid and for the fans of the local clubs heading into the close of season.
Old February 13th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #4657
Pelha

Likes (Received): 142

Only Portugal and Spain, England and USA meet preliminary requirements of FIFA

The alliance Iberian Portugal / Spain, England and the United States are the only three projects that the official interest in organizing the world of football in 2022 or 2018 that meet the initial requirements of FIFA.

In the preliminary draft circulated to all members for consideration to compete for the two editions, FIFA said that the hosts will offer 12 levels with minimum capacity of 40,000 seats to be able to enter a race that will be completed in December 2010, when will announce the two winners.

In this lot, at least one of the premises must have a capacity less than 80,000 seats, requirement for the opening and final games.

The same letter stated that the technology of telecommunications, television broadcasts, information, transport and accommodation were the "last generation".

The February 02 deadline for closing the official from FIFA intends to enter the race twice and the list closed on 11 suitors: Portugal / Spain, England, Russia, Holland / Belgium, Australia, Mexico, United States, Japan, South Korea , Qatar and Indonesia.

As for sports facilities, only Iberian, British and American answer at this time, the requirements of FIFA, with overwhelming area of the United States, which have an offer that "destroy" all the competition, with over a hundred stages of "eligible".

Given that after a 76-year history, which account for 18 editions between 1930 and 2006, the World will first move away from Europe in two consecutive editions (South Sul'2010 and Brasil'2014) is almost certain that the "Old Continent" to return to competition in the dual route of choice in late December of next year.

Thus, according to the determinations of FIFA, only Portugal / Spain and England meet the requirements of European suitors, beating Russia and Holland / Belgium with regard to the stages available.

On the proposal Iberian Portuguese, Stadium of Light (65,000), Dragon (52,200) and Alvalade (50,000) have recent experience of Euro2004 and meet the manning proposal by FIFA, but none of them is capable, according to the number of minutes to the two games of media World.

In this chapter, Camp Nou (98,945) in Barcelona, and Santiago Bernabeu (80,354), Madrid, beyond the "minimum" for opening and final, adding to the Spanish list seven stages with the ability to host the remaining games.

La Cartuja (72,000), Ruiz de Lopera (55,500) and Pizuan Sanchez (55,000), three in Seville, Vicente Calderón (57,500), Madrid, Montjuic (56,000) in Barcelona, mestalla (53,000) in Valencia, and San mames (40,000), in Bilbao, are the other places that may be included in the application Iberian.

Spain has yet to move projects to five stages, one set to be inaugurated by mid year, the new stadium of Valencia, with a capacity of 75,000 seats.

The Olympic Stadium La PEINETA, which usually serve to evidence of athletics, will also be renovated to adapt to football and should be occupied by Atlético de Madrid so that the work ends in 2012.Concluídos the work, the Madrid enclosure to accommodate almost 74,000 people .

They are also still envisaged the construction of the new stadium San mames (with capacity for 56,000 seats, with completion expected by 2013) in Bilbao, Nou Sarria (41,000) in Barcelona, and New Romareda (42,500), in Zaragoza, although the latter remains embargoed since 2007, unknown when the work will resume.

As Portugal and Spain, also in England currently has 12 stadiums with 40,000 or more seats, but can only provide one with greater capacity to 90,000 seats, the new Wembley Stadium for.

If you also count the geographical constraint of a maximum of two levels per city - a principle violated only in the first 18 editions, in Uruguay, in 1930, concentrated on editing Montevedeo) - English reduces the supply is only 10 to 12 stages since four of them are in London.

As part of the Spanish Iberian project has three venues in Seville, the tradition of the World also eliminate one of them, but even so, with one more available to the English stage.

As in Spain, England also has some projects on paper, as the New Anfield, the new home of Liverpool, with 61,000 seats, and The Valley, a venue that will serve the Charlton, London, and will have capacity for 40,600 people .

Although competition between Europe, the other two suitors, Russia and Holland / Belgium, are clearly losing the bid on this.

The Russians have only two places that meet the requirements, curiously both capable of opening and final, the Luzhniki Stadium (84,745) in Moscow and the Kirov Stadium (80,000) in St Petersburg, the city has also planned to Gazprom Arena , future hall of FC Zenit, for 62,200 seats.

After the victorious alliance for the organization of Euro2000, the Netherlands and Belgium again new challenge together, this time on a global scale, although a range of small enclosures meet the requirements of FIFA.

The 40,000 seats of the bar is only fulfilled by the Amsterdam Arena (51,324), the Feyenoord Stadium (51,180) in Rotterdam, and King Baudouin Stadium (50,024), Brussels, and there is no capacity equal to or greater than 80,000.

In the "paper" is also the new historical stage of Anderlecht, with the same name, Constant Vanden Stock, but 12,000 seats (28,000 to 40,000).
Pelha no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #4658
=NaNdA=
Liverpool holic

Likes (Received): 642

so, the final decision is going to those 4 countries?
=NaNdA= no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #4659
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Yes so the probability that the US is going to host the WC in 18/22 are 50%

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #4660
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by =NaNdA= View Post
so, the final decision is going to those 4 countries?
I don't think so.

It just means that, at things stand, only USA, England and Spain / Portugal already comply with FIFA requirements. In other words, they have at least one stadium of 80,000+ and at least 12 stadiums of 40,000+.

But the vote will not be held until December 2010. So each of the bidders has 22 months to finalize their plans - including plans for the building of new stadiums or the expansion of existing stadiums.

That article is rather amusing, though. It seems to be a translation and I rather suspect that it is a translation from Spanish or Portuguese. It implies that the English bid is compromised by the fact that it only has one stadium with a capacity of 90,000+ and that it is further compromised by the fact that four of its stadiums are in London.

The article neglects to mention the fact that Spain / Portugal also has only one stadium with a capacity of 90,000+. It also neglects to mention that it has cited 3 stadiums in Seville, 3 in Madrid, 3 in Barcelona and 2 in Valencia!
JimB está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup