daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 17th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #4741
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Those joint bids have been accepted yes, but FIFA retains the right to reject them, whatever that means.
if there are countries able to host by themselves then FIFA would feel more inclined to reject Joint bids, its always a hinderence having to give away two automatic qualification spots to host when you can just give away one.

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #4742
tollfreak
Valid User

Likes (Received): 9

Sandy Pramuji-Jakarta Globe

With Bid for 2022 World Cup Submitted, It’s Now Time for PSSI to Walk the Talk
With its bid for the 2022 World Cup officially submitted, Indonesia now faces the hard part.

The deadline for submitting official bids to FIFA was on Sunday, and Indonesian Football Association, or PSSI, secretary general Nugraha Besoes said Indonesia’s proposal was in the world governing body’s hands.

“We’ve sent all the documents that are required by FIFA, and now we’ll wait for FIFA’s response to our intention,” Nugraha said on Monday. “This will be a long journey. We have to start the hard work and prove to the world we have the capabilities to stage the greatest event on earth.”

Australia, Russia and South Korea also submitted their proposals before Sunday.

The Asian Football Confederation initially said it wanted one strong bid from the region that would draw full backing from AFC members. It did not discourage multiple bids, though, and the Asian vote could be split among as many as five candidates.

One crucial part to a successful Indonesian bid will be improving its stadiums and infrastructure, including accommodation, transportation and training facilities. Indonesia co-hosted the 2007 Asian Cup, but it would need much more work to outdo its rivals as roads and sports venues have been neglected during years of tough economic times.

The PSSI has proposed renovating three stadiums and building 10 new venues before 2015, which will require between Rp 8 trillion to Rp 10 trillion ($674 million to $842.5 million).

With government backing, the PSSI believes the country has a fair chance of hosting the 2022 World Cup. “I don’t know how big our chance is,” Nugraha said. “What we need to do now is roll up our sleeves and believe in our dreams.”

Judging by the frequently shifting schedules in local competitions, one perceived weakness in the country’s ability to host is in its organizational skills.

But Nugraha rejected the notion, saying it has nothing to do with the country’s bid.
tollfreak no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #4743
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzy View Post
2018 will go to England, this gets more obvious each passing day.

2022 - i would LOVE for this to go to Australia, its an interesting thought to see football go down under in a new country. its like another step into the unknown. and Oz has some good stadiums there. fingers crossed Ozzy gets 2022
Here's hoping mate!
Wezza no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #4744
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

I want England 2018 and either Australia or Indonesia for 2022.
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #4745
*England*
Who Dares Wins

Likes (Received): 0

as soon as england and russia show they are capable of showing they can host it on their own i expect the joint bids will be removed, harsh on holland but i think they should work on their stadiums and host something like 2030 on their own.
spain is only using portugal because they hosted it in the 80s and you can bet your house on it that spain will bid on their own the next time it comes around.
*England* no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #4746
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Confirmation of bids received

The race to host the 2018 and the 2022 FIFA World Cups™ is still wide open following confirmation that all 13 member associations that had expressed their interest in February to bid for either one or both competitions have sent to FIFA their Bid Registration forms by the established deadline of 16 March.

The member associations that have sent the Bid Registration forms for both competitions are, in alphabetical order: Australia, Belgium and the Netherlands, England, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Spain and Portugal, and the USA. Meanwhile, Korea Republic and Qatar have sent a Bid Registration form for the 2022 FIFA World Cup only.

"We are very pleased about the fantastic level of interest in our flagship competition, with all initial bidders confirming their candidature. The diversity and quality of the contenders will make this a very interesting selection process. This shows the importance of the FIFA World Cup as a truly universal event and the global power of this competition to help achieve positive change, in line with our claim: For the Game. For the World," said FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter.

The next step of the process will come in the month of April, when FIFA will send the Bidding Agreement to these associations. The Bidding Agreement will set forth in detail the agreements and information that must be included in the Bid Book. The deadline for the associations to submit the signed Bidding Agreement to FIFA is 11 December 2009.

Source: fifa.com
. . .
Aka no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #4747
HasseVonHammarby

Likes (Received): 0

I hope and believe that Belgium/The Netherlands will be the host in 2018. I can’t see any problems for these two rich countries to construct stadiums at the same size and the same quality as England, Australia and other bidders. The Netherlands is one of the greatest football countries in the world, far better than England, and co-hosting is the only way they can become a host.

Discussing the stadiums they have to day is completely nonsense. Wait until they official bid is presented. Then we can discuss the stadiums they are planning to build.
HasseVonHammarby no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #4748
RobH

Likes (Received): 10322

Quote:
The Netherlands is one of the greatest football countries in the world, far better than England
I assume you're basing that analysis on our national teams rather than our League systems (which do not compare, England wins hands down).

In terms of national teams, I'd say that historically England and Holland, along with Spain actually, can all consider themselves just below the very top group of national football teams which, for me, only includes Germany, Italy and Brazil.

In fact, the two nations' records in international competition are very similar. Often quarter and semi-finalists with a few DNQs. Both only have one trophy to their name; in England's case a World Cup, in Hollands a European Championship.

To say that the Netherlands is "far better than England" as a footballing nation is stretching it, even if you limit it to only talking about our national teams. Throw the Premiership and the Football League and the FA Cup etc. etc. into the equation and your statement falls apart. Holland is not far better than England when all is taken into account. I wouldn't even say it's better.

Last edited by RobH; March 18th, 2009 at 09:47 PM.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old March 18th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #4749
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dru View Post
Fifa won't accept a joint bid of the Benelux. However the Euro2000 Benelux was verry succesfull. Benelux don't make a chance for hosting the WC'18, the Netherlands has 20 modern stadiums but they are to small for hosting a World Cup. Yeah and Belgium has even no stadiums at all. But the Dutch were succesfull for hosting the Fifa U19 '05 and Uefa U21 '07.

Engeland and Australia make a good chance to host the WC'18
If you're gonna write such nonsense you might as well not react at all...
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #4750
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I assume you're basing that analysis on our national teams rather than our League systems (which do not compare, England wins hands down).

In terms of national teams, I'd say that historically England and Holland, along with Spain actually, can all consider themselves just below the very top group of national football teams which, for me, only includes Germany, Italy and Brazil.

In fact, the two nations' records in international competition are very similar. Often quarter and semi-finalists with a few DNQs. Both only have one trophy to their name; in England's case a World Cup, in Hollands a European Championship.

To say that the Netherlands is "far better than England" as a footballing nation is stretching it, even if you limit it to only talking about our national teams. Throw the Premiership and the Football League and the FA Cup etc. etc. into the equation and your statement falls apart. Holland is not far better than England when all is taken into account. I wouldn't even say it's better.
First 16 million vs 50 millon

the netherlands have made 2 WC finals and 1 semi. More than England and in less world cups. England hasn't even made the finals of the euros.

No brainer if Holland was a 50 million country it would dominate, because as a 16 million country it is ahead, and it's done it all since 1974. compare the records from then.

ON the World cup it's annoying that there are so many good European Bids, i would like to rule spain out because i don't like the co hosting with portugal, of course however i want England to win it, but a Benelux bid wouldn't be displeasing
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #4751
RobH

Likes (Received): 10322

It's a great nation for its size but that's not relevent. On that evidence Greece is a "far better footballing nation" than England as well.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #4752
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
It's a great nation for its size but that's not relevent. On that evidence Greece is a "far better footballing nation" than England as well.
how'd you work that out? by their 3 euro and 1 world cup appearances??

remember holland went professional nearly 100 years after england

i know it's not relevant but you said england and holland were comparable, when i'd say holland are doing much better.
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #4753
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
No brainer if Holland was a 50 million country it would dominate, because as a 16 million country it is ahead, and it's done it all since 1974. compare the records from then.
as Rob has suggested you can't use an arguement like that. As good as Holland and its football is, fact is England is a bigger footballing nation(including its history, leagues, EPL, FA Cup etc). You can't go on about if another country had more people it would do far better, it is a smaller nation but thats the way it is and we can go on and on about IFs and BUTs forever on any topic. But we can only go by whats there.

Its not relevant
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #4754
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
as Rob has suggested you can't use an arguement like that. As good as Holland and its football is, fact is England is a bigger footballing nation(including its history, leagues, EPL, FA Cup etc). You can't go on about if another country had more people it would do far better, it is a smaller nation but thats the way it is and we can go on and on about IFs and BUTs forever on any topic. But we can only go by whats there.

Its not relevant
The "if" was a small part of what i said.

I quite clearly stated that holland is above England without having as great a population.

Relatively Holland is a bigger football nation by far.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #4755
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
The "if" was a small part of what i said.

I quite clearly stated that holland is above England without having as great a population.

More sucessful at national level perhaps but in terms of overall importance within the game its clearly not larger than England.

Size also presents its own problems, you could argue that the greater power in the club game that size brings to the England, Spanish and Italian leagues has actually hampered there national sides.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #4756
soy chiva y que.....

Likes (Received): 1

I want ENGLAND 2018 and MÉXICO 2022
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #4757
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
If you're gonna write such nonsense you might as well not react at all...
I only say what Blatter said. He isn't a fan for a dual-hosting by NL-B or Esp-Por, because he wasn't satisfi about the WC2002 organisation.
Mr_Dru no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #4758
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
More sucessful at national level perhaps but in terms of overall importance within the game its clearly not larger than England.
Do you mean importance to the footballing world?? Football with out the dutch would be far worse than without us i reckon.. devil's advocate slightly

Quote:
Size also presents its own problems, you could argue that the greater power in the club game that size brings to the England, Spanish and Italian leagues has actually hampered there national sides.
I agree to a point, however England clearly has an inferior national side to the other two. The greater wealth of the premier league has caused problems because there isn't the talent available in England. Or we haven't tried to produce it...

I wouldn't say it has ever hindered italy. 4 world cup finals, 2 semis (78 was kinda a semi) and 1 Euro champs with 1 semi is a much better return than england since 1966.

Spain is a diffferent kettle, the regional differences etc Although they banned foreigners in the same period as Italy.

Like i said we seem to be saying we should get the world cup for historical reasons only. Like we are football, we invented, we are best culture etc. Which i thought after Hungary in 1953 we had got over, obviously not. We should try and produce a better bid, with stadiums better than they are now, not saying the stadiums we have aren't great, but we should be looking to dominate with a bd so far ahead of everyone else it isn't close. Not resting on our laurels... "we have wembley, we should win"
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #4759
Joop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dru View Post
I only say what Blatter said. He isn't a fan for a dual-hosting by NL-B or Esp-Por, because he wasn't satisfi about the WC2002 organisation.
What Bladder says doesn't mean that that's the official point of view of the FIFA. I think there's a pretty big chance the Benelux bid will be accepted, considering there will be only one organization (unlike the Japan/Korea world cup, where they each had there own organization), and considering neither country would be able to host the WC on it's own.

Regarding the stadiums, plenty of posts have been made about that in this thread I think. Holland can have a pretty good collection of stadiums by 2018, with the new Kuip (80,000 seats), an Amsterdam Arena with a 3rd tier (60,000 - 70,000 seats), enlarged stadiums in Alkmaar, Heerenveen, Enschede, and Eindhoven (all possibly around 40,000 seats).

Regarding Belgium, they seem to be screwing up their stadium projects right now, but I'm sure that when they put their noses in the same direction, they will have new stadiums in Bruges, Antwerp, Brussels and Liege by 2018.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #4760
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Quote:

England is a bigger football nation its pretty obvious, i know your basing it mostly on national sides(even then i can't see how this statement is so obvious). But football is much more then that as has already been explained.

However being a big football nation doesn't warrant you the WC on a plate. England has to work hard on its bid to win the accolade, i don't think the bid team just expects to win it. i can't see them being over confident when there is such strong competition from other countries. History and footballing culture is only part of the bid along with stadia and logisitics. But out of all the bids England wins hands down on history and football culture and it doesn't do too bad on Stadia either. But lets face it most of it is down to Politics and not always the best bid.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup