daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #4821
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...
 
Its AlL gUUd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Posts: 6,017
Likes (Received): 296

lol we'll leave it that
__________________
I T S Y
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #4822
Aka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,382
Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
It is not controverisal. England would always play thier home games at the national stadium. It would have always been changed to Wembley if England made it that far.
That's not true. But that's OK. I don't care.
Aka no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #4823
Ecological
BANNED
 
Ecological's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,518
Likes (Received): 23

It is true. England would always play in there national stadium. Especially in a World Cup semi-final. Reason ... More people get to watch.

Bigbossman you clearly aren't English. I find it strange why you hide under that affiliation. Scottish? Welsh?
Ecological no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #4824
Ecological
BANNED
 
Ecological's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,518
Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post

A handballed goal is no different to any other goal with an infringement, be it offside, through diving to get a penalty, or a not given foul. The only reason people blow that out of proportion is because it was so blatant. We should really stop going on about maradona in England and recognise him for the talent he was!

You will find no other country apart from his homeland that rates Maradona as highly as the English. The fact hes legend is downgraded was because he never did apologise for it or admit to what he did. Ala CHEATING. Football was always about sportmanship.



"Hodge – who swapped shirts with Maradona after the game – tried to hook the ball clear but miscued it. The ball screwed off his foot and into the penalty area, toward Maradona, who had continued his run. England goalkeeper Peter Shilton came out of his goal to punch the ball clear, with his considerable height at 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m), making him clear favourite to beat Maradona at 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m) to it. However, Maradona reached it first, with the outside of his left fist. The ball went into the goal, and the referee (Tunisian Ali Bin Nasser), not having seen the infringement, allowed the goal.

Maradona later said, "I was waiting for my teammates to embrace me, and no one came... I told them, 'Come hug me, or the referee isn't going to allow it.'"
"

It was 4 years after the Falklands war between, at the time ... the two best footballing nations. World cup quarter final infront of 114,000 people. Maradona knew perfectly well his goal was illegal but to this day fails to apologise although he admits he knew what he was doing. He's second goal that match was voted BY ENGLISH FANS as the goal off the century. England lost 2-1. Argentina went onto lift the World Cup. England has had just as much bad luck as we've had luck so your comments seem a little bit one sided nor correct.
Ecological no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #4825
woozoo
Registered User
 
woozoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 800
Likes (Received): 185

Der, well obviously he isnt English. Hes probably not even Welsh or Scottish. His one eyed, biased anti English views and drivel surely make him a Frenchman, or possibly a Jew or a Nazi.

How can any Englishman have a different view regarding England being the supreme footballing powerhouse/GOD of the universe??
woozoo no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #4826
carlspannoosh
Registered User
 
carlspannoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Islington
Posts: 2,215
Likes (Received): 744

Maradona is along with Pele, the greatest player of all time. Argentina deservedly beat & outplayed England in 1986, and thoroughly deserved to win the World Cup.
I hope England's bid is succesful and they get the Finals in 2018.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #4827
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
It is true.
It's not true, it's a world cup, England moved the game from Liverpool, the game was always scheduled to take place there, it's not as if England lost their seeding path, they were due to play there if they finished top of their group which they did.

Quote:
England would always play in there national stadium. Especially in a World Cup semi-final. Reason ... More people get to watch.
England didn't always play in "their" national stadium. Many games between 1923 and 1966 were played at club grounds rather than Wembley. Take the 1934 italy game for instance played at highbury and the 1935 game against Germany at white hart lane for instance

Quote:
Bigbossman you clearly aren't English. I find it strange why you hide under that affiliation. Scottish? Welsh?
You assume just because i don't "support" the England national football team that doesn't make me English. I support this country in any pursuit except football (and rugby around world cup time) the media puts me off (The same media that hate my beloved Arsenal coincidently). It is clear you are massively blinkered and are atypical of the spoonfed "England is better than everyone else and the most noble nation on this planet" generation. We can be worse than yanks at times!

As a Londoner (born and raised) we can appreciate the rest of the world, are you northern by any chance??
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #4828
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
You will find no other country apart from his homeland that rates Maradona as highly as the English.
What through all the documentaries about him being a cheating scumbag, and revelling in the fact that he WAS a fat drug addicted dead beat...

Quote:
The fact hes legend is downgraded was because he never did apologise for it or admit to what he did. Ala CHEATING. Football was always about sportmanship.
Why would or should he?? It was the referee's mistake not his, only a fool would say: "No sorry I handballed it, fine me, punish me, throw the book at me!"

Did Michael owen apologise for diving against the argies twice??

No, because football is about winning, and to many people that includes the realms of any means necessary, whether you do it by cheating or not. If you can't live with yourself through cheating then don't do it.

Many people have done what maradona did some have got away with it, many haven't but there is no way if they had they'd say anything. Whats more in many countries around the world see "cheating" as nothing more than cleverness. Which in many ways it is, if you can con the referee into believing something that isn't true then surely you are a "clever".

Quote:
Maradona later said, "I was waiting for my teammates to embrace me, and no one came... I told them, 'Come hug me, or the referee isn't going to allow it.'"
Clever man, PLAY TO THE WHISTLE!

Quote:
It was 4 years after the Falklands war between, at the time ...
I bet you screamed with delight when the Belgrano went down

Quote:
the two best footballing nations. World cup quarter final infront of 114,000 people.
Woah there nelly!!

Quote:
Maradona knew perfectly well his goal was illegal but to this day fails to apologise although he admits he knew what he was doing.
Like i said why would he?

Quote:
He's second goal that match was voted BY ENGLISH FANS as the goal off the century.
Not voting it that, is akin to denying the holocaust. So means nothing.

Quote:
England lost 2-1. Argentina went onto lift the World Cup.
My days, spouted some factual information

Quote:
England has had just as much bad luck as we've had luck so your comments seem a little bit one sided nor correct.
So has everyone else, that's what you fail to understand.
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #4829
Ecological
BANNED
 
Ecological's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,518
Likes (Received): 23

It seems you fail to be productive in anything you write. How can you not support your national team because of the press? Are you that insecure that you cant back your team to the hill and back? Does it matter what they write? Surely if you had your own will you would ignore it and get behind your team no matter what?

You fail to miss the points so many people have highlighted to you. We cant change your ignorance so I see this as a lost cause. You say you dont support England at football, nor at Rugby during the world cup ... is this because you dont support England full stop? Your aim is clearly to wind up other people. You have no real productive debate, just downgrading any thing to do with England. Pretty childish if you ask me. Maybe a reason debate with positives and negatives might gain you a few extra fans because reading through this thread and a few others its no suprise the majority of people dont like you and find you slightly abrupt and dis-honest in your views.

Still ... your views are noted. It's good pub chat. Definately share a few laughs over some off your statments this friday
Ecological no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #4830
carlspannoosh
Registered User
 
carlspannoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Islington
Posts: 2,215
Likes (Received): 744

I actually enjoyed Euro 2008 because England didn't qualify. The hype when England qualifies is unbearable. Does anyone remember the "ACHTUNG SURRENDER" headlines when England last managed to get to a major semi final? It was utterly embarrassing and surprise surprise the Germans duly knocked England out and won the competition.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #4831
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspannoosh View Post
I actually enjoyed Euro 2008 because England didn't qualify. The hype when England qualifies is unbearable. Does anyone remember the "ACHTUNG SURRENDER" headlines when England last managed to get to a major semi final? It was utterly embarrassing and surprise surprise the Germans duly knocked England out and won the competition.
Agree whole heartedly, Euro 2008 was immense and full of balanced viewpoints (for the most part), the games were enjoyable. Everyone i know agreed, England weren't missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
It seems you fail to be productive in anything you write. How can you not support your national team because of the press?
I don't support England as i am neutral in international football. Of course i have a team i'd prefer to win, but when England plays it is rarely England because the media and fans are unbearable.

Quote:
Are you that insecure that you cant back your team to the hill and back?
I back Arsenal to the hilt. I don't know what being insecure has to do with not backing anyone.

Quote:
Does it matter what they write?
Of course it does, because it influences people. If the sun told us that saddam hussein was alive and well in Croydon half it's dimwited readers would believe it!

Quote:
Surely if you had your own will you would ignore it and get behind your team no matter what?
I love how you are turning this into a me vs the media debate. The fact is (i hope you are intelligent enough to know) that the media influence people's views. And hinders balanced debate and/or coverage.

Quote:
You fail to miss the points so many people have highlighted to you. We cant change your ignorance so I see this as a lost cause.
ok... i'll think you'll find most of the debate has been subjective. Everything you have said has been objectively proved wrong however.

Quote:
You say you dont support England at football, nor at Rugby during the world cup ... is this because you dont support England full stop?
Yeah i am a closet member of the IRA... Seriously you sound like some BNP sympathiser.

"Anyone who doesn't support mother England in everything she does, is wrong"

Quote:
Your aim is clearly to wind up other people. You have no real productive debate, just downgrading any thing to do with England.
That's why i support our world cup bid is it, and have said so on many occasions, good one!

I am not downgrading England, England doesn't begin and end with her national football (and rugby) team.

Quote:
Pretty childish if you ask me. Maybe a reason debate with positives and negatives might gain you a few extra fans because reading through this thread and a few others its no suprise the majority of people dont like you and find you slightly abrupt and dis-honest in your views.
You are the one with views sir, the one who feels Maradona should offer and apology and thinks it was right to rearrange the 1966 world cup semi final during the tournament.

And it's why you have taken to personal insults since all your points have been disproved.

Quote:
Still ... your views are noted. It's good pub chat. Definately share a few laughs over some off your statments this friday
Wow, I reiterate are you nothern??
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #4832
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,764
Likes (Received): 10312

I enjoyed Euro 2008 because the quality of the football was the best I remember in an international tournament for ages. England not being there made me more relaxed watching it, but no tournament is quite the same without Enland, no matter which way you slice it.

There was something missing; and I'm not only saying that as an Englishman. Several footballers, managers and rival fans said they'd miss England's presence and it wouldn't quite be the same without us. That's not to do down Croatia or Russia who rightly qualified ahead of our shambolic team. But I think we give ourselves a hard time sometimes - despite the history of hooliganism and the hyperbole regarding our chances, our team and the huge contingent of fans we take to every tournament are generally well liked for the money they bring in tourism, their passion inside the stadium and outside of it etc.

Last edited by RobH; March 25th, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #4833
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Rob when you say you missed England what do you mean??

Do you mean I was watching Austria vs Poland and wondered why this shite was there and not England or do you mean I wish we had been part of this excellent spectacle of football??
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #4834
SpicyMcHaggis
Registered User
 
SpicyMcHaggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,953
Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
That's not to do down Croatia or Russia who rightly qualified ahead of our shambolic team. But I think we give ourselves a hard time sometimes - despite the history of hooliganism and the hyperbole regarding our chances, our team and the huge contingent of fans we take to every tournament are generally well liked for the money they bring in tourism, their passion inside the stadium and outside of it etc.
And other teams didn't bring all that with them? Croatia alone had more visiting fans than England would have (200k+ by some reports on the match day). Sorry to say but latest generations of English fans are considered more as a joke by others than as some rivals. Shouting England and singing God save the Queen few times per match isn't really some exceptional support and show of passion.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #4835
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,764
Likes (Received): 10312

I didn't say other teams didn't bring that.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #4836
SpicyMcHaggis
Registered User
 
SpicyMcHaggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,953
Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I didn't say other teams didn't bring that.
Whats so special then about England missing out on the tournament? Believe me... no one had England on mind during the tournament
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #4837
Ecological
BANNED
 
Ecological's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,518
Likes (Received): 23

Again Bigbossman. You fail to see the points and much prefer to argue rather then debate.

On the Euro 2008 spectacle. Its daft to say England weren't missed. If England weren't involved in international football competitions we wouldn't be having this discussion. Also McHaggis I very much doubt Croatia took 200k to a game
Ecological no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #4838
Ecological
BANNED
 
Ecological's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,518
Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
And other teams didn't bring all that with them? Croatia alone had more visiting fans than England would have (200k+ by some reports on the match day). Sorry to say but latest generations of English fans are considered more as a joke by others than as some rivals. Shouting England and singing God save the Queen few times per match isn't really some exceptional support and show of passion.
Are we talking home fans? or away fans? Because if you had to pay English prices I very much doubt you would get the hardcore supporters through the doors not to mention the FA accomodating the prawn sandwich brigade at £300 a head before the lower class fans like myself. Away travel ... thats when you see the true fans and to this day and forever more, we shall still remain the best
Ecological no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #4839
Ecological
BANNED
 
Ecological's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,518
Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Whats so special then about England missing out on the tournament? Believe me... no one had England on mind during the tournament
Austrian landlords certainly did. But would anybody miss anyone at a European championships if they didnt qualify? Very much doubt it.
Ecological no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #4840
SpicyMcHaggis
Registered User
 
SpicyMcHaggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,953
Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Are we talking home fans? or away fans? Because if you had to pay English prices I very much doubt you would get the hardcore supporters through the doors not to mention the FA accomodating the prawn sandwich brigade at £300 a head before the lower class fans like myself. Away travel ... thats when you see the true fans and to this day and forever more, we shall still remain the best
I'm talking about visiting fans on big tournaments (Euro, World Cup).
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu