daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #4841
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Again Bigbossman. You fail to see the points and much prefer to argue rather then debate.
debating is sharing ideas and opinions in order express meaning and arguing is using verbal abuse or anger to express meaning, you have proven that all you can do is attack the person not the points. That's will be all

Last edited by bigbossman; March 25th, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
bigbossman no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #4842
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Quote:
Whats so special then about England missing out on the tournament? Believe me... no one had England on mind during the tournament
Oh for God's sake, I wish I hadn't posted.

England are a big footballing nation and I heard several comments from foreigners before Euro 2008 saying it's a shame our team and fans are not here. That doesn't imply other teams' fans aren't great, or that other teams don't deserve to be there, or that the tournament wasn't a success. Just that England were missed and people thought it was a shame that we were missing out on the tournament.

Few were saying "thank God the English aren't coming" which, if you believe some of the negative things written about our national team, may go against what you'd think. Most who were asked said "It's a great shame England aren't here, but it'll still be a great tournament."

That's all I'm saying.
RobH no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #4843
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Oh for God's sake, I wish I hadn't posted.

England are a big footballing nation and I heard several comments from foreigners before Euro 2008 saying it's a shame our team and fans are not here. That doesn't imply other teams' fans aren't great, or that other teams don't deserve to be there, or that the tournament wasn't a success. Just that England were missed and people thought it was a shame that we were missing out on the tournament.

Few were saying "thank God the English aren't coming" which, if you believe some of the negative things written about our national team, may go against what you'd think. Most who were asked said "It's a great shame England aren't here, but it'll still be a great tournament."

That's all I'm saying.
England not qualifying for 2010 would be a small disaster for RSA.
The Poms love RSA.

England don't make a tournament but they do bring media coverage and drunk fans with money.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #4844
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
I'm talking about visiting fans on big tournaments (Euro, World Cup).
If thats the case then I simply cant agree. Travelling in such numbers brings a tremendous party atmosphere. When I was in Portugal and Germany I made many friends and were told how fun our lot can be. Within those stadiums during our games the atmosphere was tremendous.
Ecological no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #4845
Ecological
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
debating is sharing ideas and opinions in order express meaning and arguing is using verbal abuse or anger to express meaning, you have proven that all you can do is attack the person not the points. That's will be all
I dont think pointing out various points is attacking you. You clearly express anger in your points yet fail to see others. Your oppinion is just that. YOURS. You are trying to force others to try and agree with you but in doing so completely and utterly belittling those who have a different vantage point.
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #4846
Ecological
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
England not qualifying for 2010 would be a small disaster for RSA.
The Poms love RSA.

England don't make a tournament but they do bring media coverage and drunk fans with money.
Its a small disaster for any nation holding a major competition if the travelling hoardes from England arent there. The boost to the economy is huge especially for towns like Baden Baden.
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #4847
bigbossman

Quote:
I dont think pointing out various points is attacking you. You clearly express anger in your points yet fail to see others. Your oppinion is just that. YOURS. You are trying to force others to try and agree with you but in doing so completely and utterly belittling those who have a different vantage point.
I don't call name calling, pointing out various points.

Not true at all, i am giving my opinion, and trying where possible to back it with fact and evidence. If that comes across belittling and forceful, then sorry but maybe you are taking from it something different from what i am trying to give.

Obviously viewpoints can be subjective and objective depending on what you are talking about

With subjective viewpoints, of course it is only natural that one will only change their stance if they are totally convinced that they are wrong.

With objective viewpoints evidence can change an opinion, hence when I disproved your point that England played all their home games at Wembley, afterwhich you changed the tact of your posts.
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #4848
Ecological
BANNED

I see you didnt read my post.

England during MAJOR TOURNAMENTS when played at home would always swap to thier national stadium. Pointing out matches from 1934 and 1935 really doesnt dispel this does it?

I just didnt think I had to reply to this bit of your post a while back as it was daft enough to think not many would pay much attention to it. England only ever played Scotland at Wembley stadium before 1951.

Any nation invited to play at Wembley thought off it as a great honour. Argentina were only the 2nd national team to play against England at Wembley and have since been followed by 49 others.
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #4849
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Its a small disaster for any nation holding a major competition if the travelling hoardes from England arent there. The boost to the economy is huge especially for towns like Baden Baden.
and polokwane!
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #4850
bigbossman

Dude stop lying please

Quote:
I see you didnt read my post.
yes i did

Quote:
England during MAJOR TOURNAMENTS
You didn't say that originally, so don't make as if you did.

what you originally said in two different posts was:

Quote:
England would always play thier home games at the national stadium.
Quote:
It is true. England would always play in there national stadium. Especially in a World Cup semi-final.
you clearly changed your point

Quote:
England during MAJOR TOURNAMENTS when played at home would always swap to thier national stadium.
And what evidence do you base the fact that "England would always swap to their national stadium when hosting tournaments" on, especially seen as 1966 was the first tournament England had hosted.

Wembley wasn't the chosen venue. If England wanted to play all possible games at Wembley it would've been scheduled so at the time. In Argentina in 1978 the hosts finished second in their group behind Italy and were demoted to play in Rosario rather than at el monumental. They didn't moan and change the venues for their own convenience... (They bought the peru team off instead )

Quote:
Pointing out matches from 1934 and 1935 really doesnt dispel this does it?
It dispels your original point yes, which you said and i repeat:

Quote:
England would always play thier home games at the national stadium.
Quote:
It is true. England would always play in there national stadium. Especially in a World Cup semi-final.
and they were only two instances which dispell your point!

Quote:
I just didnt think I had to reply to this bit of your post a while back as it was daft enough to think not many would pay much attention to it.
No, because you knew you were proven wrong.

Quote:
England only ever played Scotland at Wembley stadium before 1951.
That is true. However after 1951 they still played games away from wembley, so your original statement was and still is a lie.

Quote:
Any nation invited to play at Wembley thought off it as a great honour. Argentina were only the 2nd national team to play against England at Wembley and have since been followed by 49 others.
How is that in any way relevant. You think portugal see it as an honour having the tie moved so that they could play at wembley to accomodate their rivals on the pitch... do me a favour!

If England ever get to host the 2018 world cup they will not be able to pull a stunt like that again, if England are scheduled to play anywhere other than wembley they would have to do so.

Last edited by bigbossman; March 25th, 2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #4851
Ecological
BANNED

I see you still fail to understand the importance of a world cup semi-final in its home nation. Do you not think England would've looked silly if they didnt play there semi-final at the most famous stadium in the world? Bit of common sense please. Organisation in those days was never the best and England played very rarely away from Wembley after 1951.

Still. Your slightly boring me now and this is way off topic.

Is polokawne where England are due to be housed MoRush?

Old March 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #4852
bigbossman

it's not off topic, because organisation and the history of changing venues at the last minute is deeply relevant to future world cups.

However I will leave it there, because you clearly have no clue, and keep changing your point.
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #4853
Ecological
BANNED

Clearly changing my point? Sure its not a case off you not being able to read properly? Im under no illusion that England would've played thier 1966 world cup semi-final anywhere other then thier national stadium. However. You seem assured that the only reason it was switched was to get one over the Portugese.

From a portugal fan who enjoyed the 1966 World cup.

Quote:
Being Portuguese, and an Everton supporter since the mid-60's, the World Cup of '66 has to have very fond memories for me.

For any Portuguese football fan old enough to remember the '66 World Cup that was the brightest moment of our national team's history, even surpassing its recently much-hyped efforts in Euro 2004.

And of course Portugal played its two most unforgettable games at Goodison Park, against Brazil and North Korea.

Against Brazil I seem to remember we could even lose the game by two goals and still go through. The pressure was all on the Brazilians. For the average Brazilian supporter, forever convinced of their team's unquestionable superiority over anybody else, it was completely out of the question that they would not beat their former colonial masters by at least three goals. Unfortunately for them Portugal was still hanging on to the African part of its former Empire and it could draw on its footballing talent, here in evidence in the shape of Hilario, Coluna and, most of all, Eusebio, all born in Mozambique. The "Black Panther" did make all the difference in this game by scoring two goals, the second being an absolute cracker from the edge of the area, following a corner. One small correction is due here on Sting Ray Jones' article: it was Morais, and not Coluna, who played Pele out of the game, and not, I have to admit, in the most sportsmanlike fashion, to put it mildly.

Goodison Park was again to prove a happy venue for Portugal in the famous quarter-final tie against North Korea. Three-nil down after twenty minutes, everybody but me had deserted the living room at my parents' house before half-time. I stuck to the telly and saw Eusebio score twice before the interval. By the start of the second-half all the doubting Thomases had made their way back and we could all watch the remainder of Portugal's incredible come-back.

In case you're not aware, the England v Portugal semi-final was initially scheduled to be played at Goodison Park too (this was how the pre-arranged draw had determined it) but in view of the fact that Wembley provided a larger venue and it would not, in any case, be full for the West Germany v Soviet Union game (even country's names have changed, it was all so long ago!), the organising committee decided to switch venues.

Great memories from my distant boyhood! Alex Burmester. Oporto, Portugal. (06/09/04)

Old March 25th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #4854
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

I just don't get you bbm.

You almost congratulate Maradona on his 'hand of god' goal, calling it sportsmanship, then say it's up to the referee to do something about it...not the player. If he can cheat and get away with it then good on him is your thought.

Well, if England are staging a finals tournament (in this case 1966), what is wrong with them changing a venue to aid the team? Surely it's up to the governing body at that time to do something about that if it's wrong.

I'd have thought you whould be congratulating the FA on their sportsmanship (just like Maradona), but no you'd rather slag off England and it's football at ANY chance. Maybe you can tell us the difference between the two examples?

Old March 25th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #4855
JoseRP
@PueblaAntigua

Likes (Received): 3346

Spain 2018, Mexico 2022
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #4856
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseRP View Post
Spain 2018, Mexico 2022
Haha.

Seriously I dont see how anyone could POSSIBLY think that Mexico has a shot in 2022.
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #4857
cmc

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by =NaNdA= View Post
No chance for Asian Countries?
well Australia is part of the AFC, and well the other option is China
cmc no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #4858
cmc

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Haha.

Seriously I dont see how anyone could POSSIBLY think that Mexico has a shot in 2022.
so, what's your bet for 2022?
cmc no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #4859
seattle92

Likes (Received): 2852

Quote:
Clearly changing my point? Sure its not a case off you not being able to read properly? Im under no illusion that England would've played thier 1966 world cup semi-final anywhere other then thier national stadium. However. You seem assured that the only reason it was switched was to get one over the Portugese.

From a portugal fan who enjoyed the 1966 World cup.

Sorry mate but are you joking here????

How is it normal for you to an organization to switch the venues during the tournment?

Had it ever happened before??

Did it happened again after??

It's amazing how do you pretend this is a normal thing. Don't tell me that England will try that joke again if they win the 2018 bid????

Of course it's not normal. Of course England got advantage of Portugal.

England played in Wembley with more suporters and the organization just informed the portuguese team the venues had changed in the night before the game. They made the trip by train in the same day of the game.

This could NEVER happen in our days. This was cheating.
seattle92 no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #4860
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc View Post
so, what's your bet for 2022?
Australia or the US, although I would like to see Russia host it sometime. The US will probably get it.

You know, just countries who havent already hosted it twice., leaving Mexico completely out of the conversation.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup