daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #5001
Qaabus

Likes (Received): 4

If 2018 doesn't go to Europe UEFA should just give FIFA the finger and invite 3 or 4 South American countries to the European Championships.
Qaabus no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #5002
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Yanks can wait til 2026. **** em.
What an insightful comment
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #5003
Ragarms

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Whilst his delivery was hardly all class, I'm with Wezza on this one.

You had it in '94.

I just don't see the US as having some divine right to host it every twenty years given that it means so little to so many of you.

Anyways... continue.
Ragarms no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #5004
cmc

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaabus View Post
If 2018 doesn't go to Europe UEFA should just give FIFA the finger and invite 3 or 4 South American countries to the European Championships.
Don't worry about it, it's set in stone, 2018 goes to Europe with England as the front runner followed by Spain & Russia.

Last edited by cmc; May 6th, 2009 at 07:58 AM.
cmc no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #5005
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Sorry, but USA is just getting greedy wanting another World Cup already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragarms View Post

You had it in '94.

I just don't see the US as having some divine right to host it every twenty years given that it means so little to so many of you.

Anyways... continue.
Agree completely.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #5006
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

+1
woozoo no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #5007
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
It was never official policy but that's just how things work. Use some logic. No way that there will be 3 tournaments in a row outside of Europe (biggest market and most participants) and no way that they'll skip USA (for obvious reasons).
Its not that simple.

Mexico Has hosted twice, as recently as 1986 (23 years ago, 36 years between 1986 and 2022).
No nation has ever hosted three WC's - not even huge football nations like Italy or Brazil. To give Mexico hosting privileges for a third time, so soon, would be unprecedented.

USA hosted in 94 (15 years ago, 28 years between 94 and 2022).
Again, unprecedented. Even Germany, the nation which had to wait the shortest period of time between being elected to host twice, and which has been a powerhouse of football this last half century with one of the strongest national teams and leagues in the world, had to wait 32 years before hosting again. For USA, a nation with limited football history, a modest national team and modest league, and a lack of interest, to host again so soon is a bit much IMO. Only thing USA has going for it morally is its huge population.

2022 race is wide open.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #5008
Wezza
©

It would be a massive deal in Australia if we won the rights to host the 2022 WC. It wouldn't be as bigger deal in the USA if they got it IMO.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #5009
Just

Likes (Received): 120

2018 THE NETHERLANDS & BELGIUM

The New build Stadium in Rotterdam, 80.000 sets, upgrade to proberbly 100.000 seats.
[img]http://i43.************/erehc8.jpg[/img]
Current stadium Amsterdam Arena 52.000 seats. Upgrade to 66.000 or 70.000 seats.

Philips Stadium 35.000 seats, upgrade to 42.000

Koning Boudewijn Stadion brussl, 50.000 seats

Stade Maurice Dufrasne in Liege, 30.000 seats

new Stadium Club brugge 40.000 seats
Just no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #5010
Fizmo1337

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:

You had it in '94.

Anyways... continue.
Agree.

@ Just
There is no new update or confirmation of any stadium from those you mentionned so I don't really understand why you post this? And if BE and NL get WC 2018 I'm 100% sure Liège (and Bruges, Brussels and many others) will get a new stadium. There is a lot of hesitation to built new stadiums because sadly, many doubt if it's needed or not (like in Liège's case) but when we get WC 2018 (which won't happen btw) I'm 100% sure Liège, etc... will all get new stadiums. It's still 10 years from now.

Last edited by Fizmo1337; May 7th, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Fizmo1337 no está en línea  
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #5011
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:

You had it in '94.

Quote:
Sorry, but USA is just getting greedy wanting another World Cup already.
Sorry, but putting in a bid when you've got the resources to do the job is hardly the same thing as expressing a "divine right to host it every 20 years." If you guys want to say "Not right now" to WC in the US that's fine, but don't paint the picture as something different than it really is just to make you sound more holy. Further, just because some folks might express a more zealous opinion about the matter don't presume they speak for all Yanks.

I don't expect the US to host and would love to see some of these other nations get the chance, but there's nothing wrong with the US putting in a bid and if they're deemed the best option then so be it. Otherwise I suggest you ask FIFA to adopt policies mandating the time between hosting a WC.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #5012
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Old May 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5013
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

I need want Belgium and the Netherlands 2018
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #5014
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Sorry, but putting in a bid when you've got the resources to do the job is hardly the same thing as expressing a "divine right to host it every 20 years." If you guys want to say "Not right now" to WC in the US that's fine, but don't paint the picture as something different than it really is just to make you sound more holy. Further, just because some folks might express a more zealous opinion about the matter don't presume they speak for all Yanks.

I don't expect the US to host and would love to see some of these other nations get the chance, but there's nothing wrong with the US putting in a bid and if they're deemed the best option then so be it. Otherwise I suggest you ask FIFA to adopt policies mandating the time between hosting a WC.
Tell that to the guy who wrote this then....
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...15735&&cc=3436

He's not helping their cause.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #5015
Horatio Caine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Of course the WC should be held in the US in the coming years. With the spiring interest in the sport combined with superior enormous stadiums it surely has to be hosted there in the near future.
Horatio Caine no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #5016
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

yeah but what people are trying to say is that the amount of interest compared to the population is far smaller than any country in Europe and even Australia and Japan. Big superior stadiums are all well and good if they are in an accessible part of the world to most nations, ie Europe where it will be of benefit to croatia take 80,000 with them, i have a feeling it will be like USA 94 full of expats and curious locals!
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #5017
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
yeah but what people are trying to say is that the amount of interest compared to the population is far smaller than any country in Europe and even Australia and Japan. Big superior stadiums are all well and good if they are in an accessible part of the world to most nations, ie Europe where it will be of benefit to croatia take 80,000 with them, i have a feeling it will be like USA 94 full of expats and curious locals!
Even with that low percentage, you will have sellouts of massive stadiums. Realistically speaking, Europeans will be able to get tickets easier than if it was in Autralia and Japan and the trip would be cheaper.

I don't know if Australia has more people interested than the US, honestly. Even just percentage wise. Just because MLS doesn't sell out NFL stadiums, doesn't mean each major city in the States doesn't have people that care about the World Cup and top class football in general, because they do.
SIC no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #5018
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

If just 7% of the US population pays attention to the WC, that's more than the entire population of Australia.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #5019
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

And 'if' your auntie had balls she would be your uncle.
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #5020
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Tell that to the guy who wrote this then....
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...15735&&cc=3436

He's not helping their cause.
But remember, one pundit does't equal the national mindset, or even that of the true fans. Would we like to host? Sure, just like every other bidder. Could the US do a good job? Absolutely. But I think it's a very short list of "deserving" countries, and that list grows even shorter when you take into account actual ability to do the job well. In fact, I'd say that list is down to England, Spain and the Netherlands, and it's the very fact that those countries are in the mix for this round of bidding that makes the US bid appear all the more unworthy, because by comparison the cultural affinity for soccer is so much weaker. If the US were bidding against, say, Russia, Japan, Indonesia, Australia, Morrocco and France, and if there wasn't this notion that it HAD to go towards Europe if possible, then I doubt we'd be having this level of doubt.

Remember, US press doesn't speak for the people, just for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Again, true/realistic fans get it. Conversely, however, it must be accepted that the US indeed has a masterful list of facilities and metropolitan areas to do the job and do it well. I wish they weren't so widely dispersed but that could also be part of the appeal for the games, depending on one's perspective. And while the games might mean more to the bottom line of sporting infrastructure and cultural pride in other countries, another WC in the US could, nay - would, go a long way to bolstering the sports appeal in the States.

We all have to remember the selection of one site isn't meant as an insult to the others, it's merely an indication that that's the one place that fits best for that moment. If the games didn't move around with such consideration it'd be in the same 3-5 nations all the time, which would be bad for the sport in the long run.

Cheers.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup