daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM   #5081
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAISTER007 View Post
Russia only has 3 stadiums xD hilarious
They will build (are building) new ones... Ukraine has 0 according to your definition then.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM   #5082
ArchieTheGreat

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
Since the FIFA decided that candidates must have 11 stadiums of 40000 seats and 1 with 80000 seats to host the World cup, I have concluded only rich and powerful could now host the event.
In each confedaration, I made a standing about if countries could host the World cup (with 12 stadiums):
  • Yes
  • Yes but
  • No

AFC
Yes: Japan, China, Korea, Australia
Yes but: India, Indonesia
No: all the rest

CAF
Yes: South Africa (of course), Morocco, Egypt

CONCACAF
Yes: USA, Mexico
Yes but: Canada

CONMEBOL
Yes: Brazil (of course)
Yes but: Argentina

OFC
None

UEFA
yes: England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy
Yes but: Portugal, Russia, Turkey
No: others
I think you've missed Malaysia out of the countries that could definitely hold it in the AFC. Also with the plans Turkey has in place for stadiums I think they could go to the yes list in UEFA.
ArchieTheGreat no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #5083
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Malaysia has some stadiums, and possibly the capability for upgrades and infrastructure, but its football team is woeful.

Ranked 159 in the world, in the recent Asian cup which it co hosted, it lost 5-1 to China, 5-0 to Uzbekistan and 2-0 to Iran. It didnt exit the group stage.
woozoo está en línea ahora  
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #5084
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

I may reconsider my position about Malaysia and Turkey.
If some countries make some improvements, I will change the standing.
I used the number of potential stadiums, potential buildings and upgrades to do this standing.
CaliforniaJones está en línea ahora  
Old June 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #5085
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

Malaysia?? I heard....bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Kuala Terengganu Stadium

A little bit of a worry as of the 2nd of June.

> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #5086
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 965

Quote:
Since the FIFA decided that candidates must have 11 stadiums of 40000 seats and 1 with 80000 seats to host the World cup, I have concluded only rich and powerful could now host the event.
In each confedaration, I made a standing about if countries could host the World cup (with 12 stadiums):
  • Yes
  • Yes but
  • No

AFC
Yes: Japan, China, Korea, Australia
Yes but: India, Indonesia

CAF
Yes: South Africa (of course), Morocco, Egypt

CONCACAF
Yes: USA, Mexico

CONMEBOL
Yes: Brazil (of course)
Yes but: Argentina

OFC
None

UEFA
yes: England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy
Yes but: Portugal, Russia, Turkey
No: others
And the Netherlands + Belgium?
Old June 6th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #5087
boyerling3

Likes (Received): 4

I think Australia has a good chance for either '18 or '22 since there will already have been so many things in Europe in the 2010s FIFA may want to get away from it and go to Australia as a fresh face with good capabilities. If Australia were to get '18 I think its being part of the Anglosphere would weaken England's chances afterwards. I would like to see a US cup, but don't know how likely that would be. Asia (not including Aus), Japan in particular might have a genuine shot at getting '22 too.
I'm going to say:
2018: Australia
2022: England
2026: USA
2030: Uruguay-Argentina joint bid
boyerling3 no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #5088
SpicyMcHaggis

16 years without World Cup in Europe? FIFA would go bankrupt. Europe is by far biggest (and richest) market with biggest number of traveling fans and there is absolutely no way that WC will be outside of Europe for such a long period.

2018 will go to England, 2022 to USA. Let's be real...
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #5089
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
FIFA would go bankrupt.
Bankrupt??? Their license to print money is not entirely dependant upon the world cup being staged in Europe.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #5090
SpicyMcHaggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
Bankrupt??? Their license to print money is not entirely dependant upon the world cup being staged in Europe.
World Cup in prime time in Europe or World Cup in 7am in Europe. Which brings you more money (unfortunately, WC is all about that this days) and better TV ratings? Euro Championship and WC are watched by absolutely everyone in Europe in prime time. I seriously doubt that my grandmother would wake up early in the morning to watch football

Australia = 1 country, 1 TV rights, 1 team, "bad" time zone
Northern America = 22 countries but most of them are very small and with football not being 1st sport (especially in 2 richest ones). Still, powerful and big enough to deserve the World Cup again relatively soon.
Europe = 50 (50 countries) stations with TV rights, 50 TV stations willing to pay... well anything that FIFA wants, 50 countries with football as no1 sport, biggest number of participant teams, biggest number of traveling fans...

Do the math.

It's all about the money and FIFA can't afford to have WC outside of Europe for that long.

Last edited by SpicyMcHaggis; June 6th, 2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #5091
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Australia is one country + Japan + Korea + China + Indonesia + Malaysia + Vietnam + Thailand. This time zone region is home to the worlds second and third largest economies.

In GDP terms, East Asia plus Australia is not far off in size to North and South America combined. The way China continues to grow, its economy is predicted to be larger than USA by 2020. Understandably, FIFA is interested in growing the game in the region. When one third of viewers of 2006 WC were in Asia, despite the poor kick off times, Im sure FIFA will allow it hosting rights again in the not too distant future.

Obviously Europe is guaranteed every third WC. But for the rest its a battle between the Americas, and Asia + Africa. South Africa 2010 will provide a good time zone for European viewers. The Americas will have hosted in 2014 with Brazil so kick off times will be perfect for East Coast USA and ok for Central America. Asia will have had poor kick off times since 2002, which is four WC's, and it could be argued is next in line.
woozoo está en línea ahora  
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #5092
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

AFC
Yes: Australia

CONCACAF
Out of interest - why YES for Australia but only YES BUT for Canada?

Canada has a larger population and a greater per capita GDP.
Both nations would require major stadium construction programs.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #5093
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
World Cup in prime time in Europe or World Cup in 7am in Europe. Which brings you more money (unfortunately, WC is all about that this days) and better TV ratings? Euro Championship and WC are watched by absolutely everyone in Europe in prime time. I seriously doubt that my grandmother would wake up early in the morning to watch football

Australia = 1 country, 1 TV rights, 1 team, "bad" time zone
Northern America = 22 countries but most of them are very small and with football not being 1st sport (especially in 2 richest ones). Still, powerful and big enough to deserve the World Cup again relatively soon.
Europe = 50 (50 countries) stations with TV rights, 50 TV stations willing to pay... well anything that FIFA wants, 50 countries with football as no1 sport, biggest number of participant teams, biggest number of traveling fans...

Do the math.

It's all about the money and FIFA can't afford to have WC outside of Europe for that long.
I'm not debating the fact they'd make less money. I'm debating the point that they'd go "bankrupt".
JYDA no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #5094
djwizard84

Likes (Received): 3

What I'm just looking foward is a great world cup with great parties, football, excellent fanzones, great comittement for the host country.... not so restricted and nationals
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #5095
NMAISTER007
Euro 2012 Poland-Ukraine

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
They will build (are building) new ones... Ukraine has 0 according to your definition then.
Well maybe Ukraine did not bid for the World cup, yet we are gonna host Euro 2012 with Poland, and Ukraine will have 6 stadiums ready by the end of next year

Besides i hear that Russia use fake grass on their crappy stadiums there is no way they will host the world cup
NMAISTER007 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #5096
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

@Benjuk
I made this classification by observing the number of stadiums which have more than40000 places, transportation, economy and security TOGETHER. Canada and Australia are developed countries which have less stadiums for Worl Cup than Spain which is less developed.
Look the reasons why I noted canada yes but and Australia yes about stadiums:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ia_by_capacity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ms_by_capacity
It means Canada will have to build more stadiums with 40000 places and more including one with 80000 place. Australia has already a stadium with 100000 places, and will build more stadiums for the events.
CaliforniaJones está en línea ahora  
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #5097
Conte
European

Likes (Received): 44

I think the US would be the best host for the 2018 WC , they have the best and biggest stadiums, great infrastructure and all the conditions to host the 2nd biggest competition on the world.
Conte no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #5098
poxuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAISTER007 View Post
Well maybe Ukraine did not bid for the World cup, yet we are gonna host Euro 2012 with Poland, and Ukraine will have 6 stadiums ready by the end of next year

Besides i hear that Russia use fake grass on their crappy stadiums there is no way they will host the world cup
Don't you think that it's a little bit early to make any conclusions? I hear that Ukraine can lose 3 of 4 hosted cities in November 2009, and final can be in Warsaw, not in Kiev. I also hear that there are A LOT of problems with infrastructure and hotels, and considering the economic situation in Ukraine - this is really BIG problems.

From the other hand, Champions League Final in Moscow had very good estimations in UEFA for great organisation. This is "plus" for Russian bid. And I think you don't see the difference between 2012 and 2018/2022.

So stop posting absurd comments, based on nothing and don't shame yourself.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #5099
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

2018 need Belgium/Netherlands!
2022 USA
2026 China
2030 Uruguay
2034 England
2038 Argentina
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #5100
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Out of interest - why YES for Australia but only YES BUT for Canada?

Canada has a larger population and a greater per capita GDP.
Both nations would require major stadium construction programs.
Sure Canada has a greater population, greater GDP and in essence very wealthy.

But the stadiums currently in Canada range from good to atrocious! Just look at CFL venues. Only now there are talks of modernizing stadiums in the CFL cities.

There's been attempts for CFL expansion, but lack of stadiums in such cities prevents it.

In theory Canada can host, but only after the stadiums are in place, simply bidding for say the 2026 edition and promising new stadiums and upgrades are not enough, considering it's football stadium history.
Lord David no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup