daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #5121
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

First of all, we were not the only one saying that you should not host the game, in fact, most users came to this thread to say that the US should not host the the game for no reasons, just because we're not a soccer country or because we already hosted the games twice. We have all the possibilities, infraestructure and passion to host it like any other country (and more than Australia), because this is a bid, where any of them can win, even Australia. BTW, we dont need to vote here in order to win the bid or show off, because none of us are going to vote in the final round.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

Last edited by -Corey-; June 11th, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
-Corey- no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #5122
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

^Any of them? Indonesia, Qatar, Japan and South Korea will most certainly not win.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #5123
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

YEah, i know, i was just generalizing lol. (i know they wont win)

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #5124
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

So the Republic of (South) Korea proposes a bid for the 2022 World Cup, eh? South Korea can use every one of its venues that were built for the 2002 World Cup for its 2022 bid. Korea has two venues that have a capacity of over 60,000 (Seoul Rectangular Stadium and Daegu Multipurpose Stadium), but does not have a stadium with an 80000+ capacity. It does not need to build a stadium of that capacity anyway. The Seoul Olympic Stadium, which was not used in the 2002 FIFA WC can be used for the final despite the possibly long distance between the field and the stands. That stadium has a capacity of 70,000. Berlin's and Munich's Olympic Stadiums have hosted WC Final matches in the past and they have a 70000 capacity today. If the World Cup comes to South Korea, we shouldn't build a completely new stadium in Seoul with an 80,000+ capacity to host the final match because that new stadium would end up being a white elephant.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora  
Old June 13th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #5125
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post

So the Republic of (South) Korea proposes a bid for the 2022 World Cup, eh? South Korea can use every one of its venues that were built for the 2002 World Cup for its 2022 bid. Korea has two venues that have a capacity of over 60,000 (Seoul Rectangular Stadium and Daegu Multipurpose Stadium), but does not have a stadium with an 80000+ capacity. It does not need to build a stadium of that capacity anyway. The Seoul Olympic Stadium, which was not used in the 2002 FIFA WC can be used for the final despite the possibly long distance between the field and the stands. That stadium has a capacity of 70,000. Berlin's and Munich's Olympic Stadiums have hosted WC Final matches in the past and they have a 70000 capacity today. If the World Cup comes to South Korea, we shouldn't build a completely new stadium in Seoul with an 80,000+ capacity to host the final match because that new stadium would end up being a white elephant.

That's nice in theory but you're bidding with the crutch of having just hosted. If FIFA wants to go to Asia they're going to Australia unless South Korea can provide something unbelievable that's impossible for FIFA to overlook. Using past stadiums isn't going to cut it. You'll need an enormous showpiece venue like Soccer City type venue exceeding 90,000 to have any chance.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #5126
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
That's nice in theory but you're bidding with the crutch of having just hosted. If FIFA wants to go to Asia they're going to Australia unless South Korea can provide something unbelievable that's impossible for FIFA to overlook. Using past stadiums isn't going to cut it. You'll need an enormous showpiece venue like Soccer City type venue exceeding 90,000 to have any chance.
Australia is in no way better than South Korea. They can't even provide 10 grounds in 9 different cities. And their showpiece venue is a Cricket ground where supporters are seated a hundred metres from the action.
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #5127
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Australia is in no way better than South Korea. They can't even provide 10 grounds in 9 different cities. And their showpiece venue is a Cricket ground where supporters are seated a hundred metres from the action.
I didn't say they were better. I simply pointed out that South Korea just hosted which is a significant disadvantage. They have to give FIFA a strong reason to give them another cup in short succession over a country that's never had it. As for infrastructure, obviously new and expanded stadia will be a big part of it so I don't see that as a reason for concern. Although I agree with you on one thing, Melbourne Cricket Ground is not ideal.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #5128
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Personally, I don't think any Asian country will host in 2018 or 2022. IMO, England will get 2018 and the US will get 2022, but I do think an Asian country will host in 2026 and by then China also becomes a viable possibility.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #5129
Lord David

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Technically not. We got room for construction and upgrades. The MCG is only showpiece due to immense capacity, if not selected for the Final, than The Olympic Stadium in Sydney is a fitting alternative. If that is the case, expect the MCG to host the opener.

There's also talks of using Melbourne's new Rectangular Stadium in an upgraded 50,000 capacity as Melbourne's venue, or perhaps even a secondary venue along side the MCG.

I say we're a little better than South Korea based on the not having hosted before mark.
Old June 14th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #5130
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Technically not. We got room for construction and upgrades. The MCG is only showpiece due to immense capacity, if not selected for the Final, than The Olympic Stadium in Sydney is a fitting alternative. If that is the case, expect the MCG to host the opener.

There's also talks of using Melbourne's new Rectangular Stadium in an upgraded 50,000 capacity as Melbourne's venue, or perhaps even a secondary venue along side the MCG.

I say we're a little better than South Korea based on the not having hosted before mark.
The question I'd like answered (and I don't mean to attack you, but rather just don't know) is which cities would host if Australia were to host?

Here's what I think based on current stadiums (admittedly without much knowledge of the country):

Melbourne- MCG & Etihad Stadium: MCG I'm not really a fan of because of the oval shape, but the size makes it a yes and either Melbourne or Sydney would likely need two stadiums.

Sydney- Olympic Stadium

Brisbane- Suncorp Stadium

Adelaide- AAMI Stadium: Another oval stadium that would have poor sightlines for soccer, but you need to get stadiums from somewhere.

Perth: Subiaco Oval: Oval stadium again

So there are six stadiums that could host, even if half of them are ovals. Where would the other stadiums come from? They'd have to be built, but in which cities would they be built and could they fill them up semi-regularly for rugby or any other events? Also, could they do anything to the oval stadiums? Again, just questions, not an attack, as I try to get an idea of how an Australian bid would work.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #5131
Lord David

^ Oh that's simple. Well Ideally I would like to see all State and Territory Capitals to host, but that won't likely happen.
Your venues are here:

Melbourne: Rectangular Stadium (50,000) and/or MCG (100,000)
Sydney: Olympic Stadium (83,500) with possibly Sydney Football Stadium (45,500)
Newcastle: EnergyAustralia Stadium: (40,000 minimum)
Brisbane: Suncorp Stadium (52, 579)
Gold Coast: Skilled Park (40,000 minimum)
Townsville: Dairy Farmers Stadium (40,000 minimum)
Adelaide: Expect a new stadium, AAMI is absolute crap, even with upgrades in place (40,000 minimum (make it convertible for some sort of legacy))
Perth: Stadium WA (If they ever get the plans off the ground (70,000 Convertible))
Canberra: New Stadium (40,000 minimum, replacement for Canberra Stadium)
Hobart: New Stadium (40,000 minimum)

Ok, that already makes 11 possible venues, 1 of which is oval, add Geelong's Skilled Stadium for another oval stadium. Darwin has been left out, but if really wanted for that whole "national" concept, then there's another oval stadium.

At most you'd expect 3 oval stadiums (realistically 1), which compared to say 10 rectangular ones is quite reasonable.
Any new stadiums to be built must be rectangular, or at least convertible for some legacy. NRL Stadiums selected will be upgraded well into FIFA requirements and will be a lasting legacy for both NRL and A-League sides that use such stadiums.

With some limited new stadiums to be built, some requiring upgrades, some not needing such things at all, Australia's bid is sound, and can work.
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #5132
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 1615

Come Play! Australia's Soccer World Cup Bid Video.

awesome shot of perth at 1:34
better quality, and also the website

http://www.australia2018-2022.com.au/

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE

Last edited by docker; June 14th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
docker no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #5133
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

Were actually building a new soccer stadium in Melbourne at the moment which can be extended if we need to.

AUSTRALIA SHOULD WIN!
melbstud no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #5134
Lord David

Hmm, they mention Darwin. Along with the whole indigenous feel, I would suppose Darwin would be included in the bid. Maybe?
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #5135
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Too small and isolated to host games. Also there is zero need for a rectangular ground. So no.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #5136
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

Not yet posted I think New internet site: http://www.thebid.org

[IMG]http://i42.************/4jq8uf.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.************/i1w48l.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #5137
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Too small and isolated to host games. Also there is zero need for a rectangular ground. So no.
What country are you talking about?
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #5138
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
What country are you talking about?
I think is speaking about Australia.
Mr.Underground no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #5139
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Darwin. It's not exactly the biggest city and is probably the most isolated of them all.
invincible no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #5140
kichigai

Likes (Received): 182

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html

Adelaide Oval rebirth for soccer World Cup bid

SOUTH Australia is joining Australia's bid to host soccer's World Cup.

A redeveloped Adelaide Oval where demolition this week brought down the old western and members' stands is now favoured to host World Cup games, if Australia wins the bid.

South Australia is determined to join other states in hosting matches in the 2018 or 2022 World Cup tournaments.

Either the picturesque Adelaide Oval would be further upgraded to seat an extra 10,000 or more spectators believed to be the State Government's preferred option or the city could get a new 45,000-seat purpose-built rectangular venue.

Both options would receive some level of Federal Government funding. Football Federation Australia would prefer a rectangular stadium that would leave a legacy for the sport after the cup, but it would accept an expanded Adelaide Oval as an alternative.

Federation chief executive Ben Buckley said: ``We've got a very open dialogue with the State Government and I'm sure we'll get the best solution in the long run.

``South Australia's got a proud sports history and a proud soccer history and we will work very closely with the State Government to ensure they are part of the bid.''

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd today launches Australia's bid with a television commercial that features Adelaide.

Premier Mike Rann has been invited to the VIP launch in Canberra, but a spokeswoman said yesterday he would not attend.

"We wish Australia every success in its World Cup soccer bid," Mr Rann said. "All of Australia's political leaders will give this bid their enthusiastic support.

"If FIFA announces that Australia has been given the right to stage a future World Cup, then it will give everyone plenty of time to ensure we have the appropriate facilities across the nation."

Despite the gloomy economic times, the FFA estimates the Cup will be an economic bonanza for the nation, generating $3.9 billion in ticket sales, accommodation and meals alone.

The FFA said it expected the 60-plus game tournament would draw up to 4.7 million spectators.

The tournament and infrastructure projects would create the equivalent of 74,000 fulltime jobs, and lead to an overall increase in GDP of $5.3 billion.

Mr Buckley said although the FFA's "bid book" had to be lodged by May 2010, venues would have to be finalised by state governments by the end of this year.

Mr Buckley would not be drawn on how the new and upgraded facilities would be funded.

"That is being worked through at the moment," he said.

"Clearly, building and refurbishing stadia is expensive. First and foremost we need to lock in what our venue plan is and then identify what the costs are."

The sticking point for SA is still the venue.

Soccer world governing body FIFA stipulates a minimum capacity of 40,000 for World Cup venues but AAMI Stadium has been ruled out because of its shallow "seat pitch" and transport issues.

The FFA has commissioned plans for a series of boutique 25,000 seat stadiums that, with temporary seating for the Cup, lifts capacity to 45,000.

Stadiums - costing about $250 million each - would be built around the country off the same plan.

The temporary seating would be dismantled after the Cup tournament and given to schools and community sporting organisations.

The cost-saving plan is a cornerstone of Australia's bid.

Mr Buckley yesterday confirmed the FFA's preferred option is for Australia to have 12 World Cup venues, with no more than two venues in each city.

At present only the MCG and Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, ANZ Stadium and the Sydney Football Stadium and Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, are up to standard.

Perth already has plans to build a multi-purpose city stadium that will have a capacity of 60,000 when it opens in 2014.

The key selling points for Australia's bid are:

PROXIMITY to Asia, as well as our membership of the Asian confederation. More soccer fans live in Asia than any other region.

AUSTRALIA'S track record of hosting major events, including the Olympics and World Youth Day.

BIPARTISAN support across all state and federal governments.

PERCEPTION of Australia internationally as a safe and welcoming destination.

The fact that Australia, as an island, can control who comes to watch the tournament and limit the "hooligan" element - as opposed to continental Europe - is also seen as a plus.
kichigai no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup