daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #5161
Bump

Likes (Received): 20

I think you will find that Subiaco won't host a game.
Bump no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #5162
Richo83

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
Melbourne get 69,000 and every Melburnian thinks that automatically qualifies them as favourite for a WC Final.

When Sydney got 70,000 vs China (dead rubber as well)last year..the silence was deafening down here.

The MCG is a great cricket ground,but a poor football venue.
Which is why I think if we did get the world cup, Sydney should host the final. Problem is, what's more important to get into the right stadium: final, or semi and opening match? Both very important.
Richo83 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #5163
Escalabitano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

2018 to Russia and 2022 to Australia.

From Portugal.
Escalabitano no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #5164
Mrvice
Civil Engineer

2018 to England and 2022 to Australia.

England deserves to host WC with all their fancy stadiums and all football heritage. AUstralia should also get it since it will soon be the only continent not to host WC.
╚══╝╚══╝╚══╝╚══╝╚══╝╚══╝╚╝╚╝╚╝╚╝╚╝╚╝ ██████████████
Mrvice no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #5165
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump View Post
Was that my point?
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #5166
Edward_Cintra

Likes (Received): 0

I should vote for some country nearer my own, but I'll have to vote Portugal and Spain for their love to the game!
Edward_Cintra no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #5167
aaronaugi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
The dry season in Darwin is from May untill October, so the monsoons don't interfere with the world cup. Also, Darwin is one of the fastest growing cities in Australia, and it'll probably have a population of over 150,000 by 2018 or 2022... not too small! Besides, it's a great hub for tourists who want to explore the top end, and it's by far the closest city to Asia, two pretty important advantages!

I'm sureDarwin will have a professional sports team in the next 15 years, be it AFL, Rugby or Football...
It is dry yes but the tempreture is high to extreme and it is still very humid.
aaronaugi1 no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #5168
magic_johnson

Likes (Received): 3

What i wrote on the Australian thread, reguarding the Australian World Cup bid:
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_johnson View Post
OK, first post on this forum. This is how i think an Australian bid would look:

Melbourne

MCG (according to austadiums) is considering a revamp of the Great Sounthern Stand's interiour. Aus won't get the cup untill atleast 2022 , so you would think that this revamp would come in time for the world cup should we get it. ($100m)

Melb Rectangular Stadium: They designed it in a way so it can be revamped to 50,000 without too much hastle. ($100m)

West Sydney

Homebush: Could stay the same as it is, or they could put the ends back on that were used during the olymipics. ($0-100m)

Sydney

SFS: No change ($0)

Brisbane

Suncorp

Gold Coast

Skilled Park, the new rectangular stadium on the Gold Coast was designed in a way that it CAN NOT be further upgraded from the present 27,000. This means, for the Gold Coast, they will either have to build a new rectangular stadium or go with Carrara stadium. At the moment, works are under way for the 28,000 seat oval (due to be completed late 2010). This stadium was designed in a way that it can be redeveloped to fit a Commonwealth Games bid (50,000-60,000ish). I see carrara getting this redevelopment and getting the capacity cut back afterwards (unless the gold coast afl team are getting good crowds). ***

Adelaide

Make Adelaide Oval into a 60,000 seat multi purpose stadium. After the current redevelopment is completed, it will be around 40,000 seats. A grand stand replacing the don bradman stand, chapell stands and maybe the grass hill will suffice. (200-300m)

Perth

Subiaco last year was a whisker away from becoming a 70,000 seat stadium (with the capacity to be able to be expanded to 80,000), but this plan was put on the back shelf by the new government untill funds were found. Surely if the world cup was won the state goverment would go ahead with this. (1000m)

Canberra
New $250,000,000 complex plan reveiled lately turning bruce stadium into an AFL venue and building a new 40,000 rectangular venue next door.

Newcastle

EnergyAustralia Stadium: No change (I predict it will be 40,000 by this time, world cup or not) $0

Hobart

Hobart: I see one of the Victorian AFL teams moving down there in the next 10 years, and they need a stadium. A 40,000 multi purpose seater will be shared well with an a-leauge team. 500m

Geelong

Geelong: Skilled Stadium will be near enough 40,000 by this time, but it is an oval and thus don't see it getting any games. 50m

Theres 12 stadiums, all meeting requirments.

The cost: 2,115,000,000-2,315,000,000
That's alot of money, although i see all of the stadiums being used afterwards to capacity. Also, alot of this sum comes from stadium upgrades which would have gone ahead, reguardless of the world cup (Subiaco, MCG, Geelong, Melbourne rectangular). Taking out these costs, we are left with a very, very, very rough total of 865,000,000-1,065,000,000. Is this cost justified by the world cup? I say yes.

*** signifies a white elephant post world cup.
Quote:
Here is how the draw can be played stadium/flight time wise: (i just grabbed the top 32 teams using fifas ranking system)
There are 48 group stage matches
8 group of 16 matches
4 quarter finals
2 semi finals
1 3rd position play off
1 final

Geelong
GO16, 4 Group matches (5 Matches)
Gold Coast GO16, 4 Group Matches (5 Matches)
Hobart GO16, 4 Group Matches (5 Matches)
Perth Semi Final, GO16, 4 Group Matches (6 Matches)
Adelaide Quarter Final, 5 Group Matches (6 Matches)
Canberra Quarter Final, 4 Group Matches (5 Matches
MCG Final, Quarter Final, 4 Group Matches (6 Matches)
Melb Rec Stadium GO16, 4 Group Matches (5 Matches)
Homebush Third place, Quarter Final, 4 Group Matches (6 Matches)
SFS GO16, 4 Group Matches (5 Matches)
Newcastle GO16, 4 Group Matches (5 Matches)
Brisbane Semi Final, GO16, 4 Group Matches (6 Matches)

In Germany, 5 stadiums Held 6 Matches while 7 Stadiums held 5 matches.

State by State

NSW 16 Matches
VIC 16 Matches
QLD 10 Matches
WA 6 Matches
SA 6 Matches
ACT 5 Matches
TAS 5 Matches

GROUP A
1. Homebush- Australia v Argentina
2. Newcastle- Japan V Scotland
3. SFS- Scotland V Argentina
4. Brisbane- Australia V Japan
5. Gold Coast- Argentina V Japan
6. MCG- Australia V Scotland

Flight Time (6hrs total)
Australia - 3hrs
Argentina- 1hr
Japan- 1hr
Scotland- 1hr

GROUP B
7. Perth- Spain V Greece
8. MRS - Bulgaria V Croatia
9. Adelaide- Spain V Bulgaria
10. SFS- Greece V Croatia
11. Geelong- Spain V Croatia
12. MCG - Greece V Bulgaria

Flight Time (Total - 13hrs)
Spain- 4hrs
Greece- 5hrs
Croatia- 2hrs
Bulgaria- 2hrs

GROUP C
13. Hobart- Netherlands V Urguay
14. Geelong- France V Denmark
15. Adelaide- Netherlands V France
16. Canberra- Urguay V Denmark
17. Melbourne Rec. Stadium- Urguay V Denmark
18. Perth- Netherlands V France

Flight Time (total- 15hrs)
Netherlands - 4hrs
France- 4hrs
Urguay- 4hrs
Denmark- 3hrs

GROUP D

19. Homebush- Portugal V Ukraine
20. MRS - Israel V Turkey
21. Adelaide - Turkey V Ukraine
22. SFS - Portugal V Israel
23. Perth - Turkey V Portugal
24. Canberra - Ukraine V Israel

Flight time: (Total: 13hrs)
Portugal: 4hrs
Ukraine: 2 hrs
Israel: 1 hr
Turkey: 4hrs

GROUP E

25. Newcastle - Germany V Northern Ireland
26. Hobart - Paraguay V Mexico
27. Gold Coast - Mexico V Northern Ireland
28. Canberra - Paraguay V Germany
29. Brisbane - Germany V Mexico
30. Geelong - Paraguay V Northen Ireland

Flight time: (Total: 10hrs)
Germany: 1hr
Nrth Ireland: 3hrs
Paraguay: 3hrs
Mexico: 3hrs

GROUP F
31. Brisbane - Italy V USA
32. MRS - Serbia V Romania
33. Gold Coast - USA V Serbia
34. Adelaide - Italy V Romania
35. Perth - USA V Romania
36. Homebush - Italy V Serbia

Flight Time: (Total - 13hrs)
Italy: 2hrs
USA: 4hrs
Serbia: 3hrs
Romania: 4hrs

GROUP G
37. Homebush - Brazil V Russia
38. Hobart - Czech V Nigeria
39. MCG - Brazil V Czech
40. SFS - Russia V Nigeria
41. Perth - Czech V Russia
42. Brisbane - Brazil V Nigeria

Flight time: (Total - 15hrs)
Brazil: 3hrs
Russia: 4hrs
Czech: 5hrs
Nigeria: 3hrs

GROUP H

43. Canberra - England V Switzerland
44. Hobart - Cameroon V Sweden
45. Gold Coast - England V Cameroon
46. Newcastle - Switzerland V Sweden
47. MCG - England V Sweden
48. Geelong - Switzerland V Cameroon

Flight Time: (Total - 12hrs)

England: 3 hrs
Switzerland: 1hr
Cameroon: 5hrs
Sweden: 3hrs

GROUP OF 16
49. Brisbane
50. Gold Coast
51. Hobart
52. Perth
53. Melbourne Rectangular Stadium
54. Geelong
55. Newcastle
56. SFS

QUARTER FINALS
57. Canberra
58. Adelaide
59. MCG
60. Homebush

*For the group of 16 round, i tried to group like states together (eg. Geelong, MRS; Newcastle, SFS) so when it comes to the quarter final both winning teams have equal flighing time. I also tried to put the stadium for the quarter final near the two stadiums used in the group of 16 (eg. Geelong, MRS -> MCG).

SEMI FINALS

61. Perth
62. Brisbane

3RD PLACE PLAYOFF

63. Homebush

FINAL

64. MCG

Last edited by magic_johnson; June 20th, 2009 at 01:00 PM.
magic_johnson no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #5169
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 965

@magic_johnson

Nice effort.

1. Have you considered that it is normal to hire a decent part of 1 hotel and 1 trainingscenter for most of the tournament? The Netherlands already booked a trainingscenter + hotel for the WC 2010 in South-Africa.

2. Letting the teams play in 6 different stadiums during the group stage doesn't seem to be very wise if the stadiums are not close together. For the Netherlands it would mean that players and fans have to travel thousands of miles for the group matches only. This would mean moving at least 10.000 fans (very low estimate) from Hobart to Adelaide and further to Perth in a few day time. On best this will be really annoying for the players and fans, in the worst case a real nightmare for them. This because the teams and players can't choose a home base.
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #5170
magic_johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuppeltje View Post
@magic_johnson

Nice effort.

1. Have you considered that it is normal to hire a decent part of 1 hotel and 1 trainingscenter for most of the tournament? The Netherlands already booked a trainingscenter + hotel for the WC 2010 in South-Africa.

2. Letting the teams play in 6 different stadiums during the group stage doesn't seem to be very wise if the stadiums are not close together. For the Netherlands it would mean that players and fans have to travel thousands of miles for the group matches only. This would mean moving at least 10.000 fans (very low estimate) from Hobart to Adelaide and further to Perth in a few day time. On best this will be really annoying for the players and fans, in the worst case a real nightmare for them. This because the teams and players can't choose a home base.
What else are we meant to do? Play every match in a pool at a single stadium/city?
The fans don't get to see Australia.

Play between two cities?
Then we will get a case where some teams have to say go from hobart to sydney and back in their 3 pool matches, which would keep flying time at the same point, but, fans if money is short, could stay in the one place and only see two of these matches.

But what about Perth?
Say, we choose the lattar (because the first isn't really an ethical option). Then you get some teams having to go from Perth and back (4hrs from the East Coast, 3 hrs from Adelaide) which would leave them at a disadvantage come finals time when they play other teams who would maybe have jumped on a plane once on their trip. I have made my draw in a way that sees Perth used in either the first or last match of a pool, so no-one flies to Perth AND BACK.
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #5171
magic_johnson

When Brazil got awarded the World Cup, they had zero stadiums that met criteria. Looking at that, Australia's chance stadia wise doesn't seem too bad...
Old June 20th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #5172
Richo83

The idea that Australia is too large doesn't wash when Brazil will hold, and the USA has held the world cup before, both are larger nations than Australia, and for instance matches in Los Angeles and New York are just as far from each other as matches in Sydney and Perth. Just as matches from Porto Alegre, to Manaus, to Fortazela are very far from each other. Most matches will be on the east coast though which wont be too bad.
Richo83 no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #5173
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

I don't believe Sydney wouldn't have at least a semi-final. The third place match is for a smaller city (like the 3rd, 4th, 5th...)
Aka no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #5174
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 965

Quote:
What else are we meant to do? Play every match in a pool at a single stadium/city?
The fans don't get to see Australia.

Play between two cities?
Then we will get a case where some teams have to say go from hobart to sydney and back in their 3 pool matches, which would keep flying time at the same point, but, fans if money is short, could stay in the one place and only see two of these matches.

But what about Perth?
Say, we choose the lattar (because the first isn't really an ethical option). Then you get some teams having to go from Perth and back (4hrs from the East Coast, 3 hrs from Adelaide) which would leave them at a disadvantage come finals time when they play other teams who would maybe have jumped on a plane once on their trip. I have made my draw in a way that sees Perth used in either the first or last match of a pool, so no-one flies to Perth AND BACK.
Well you have to have at least 2 stadiums in each pool, because the last pool match has to be played at the same time in each group. The more, the more unconvertable. So 2-3 stadiums for each group. After the group stage, it is more about seizes of the stadiums and important facilities such as hotels and infrastructure (in the last quarterfinal of the European Championship the city of Basel had to accomodate 100.000 Dutch fans only).

Sightseeing more of Australia by scattering the stadiums in the group stage would be weaking a bid. Many Dutch people will cluster together to make a big party for as long as they are staying in the tournament. Most likely many will add holiday time to it anyway, and make a sightseeing before or after the WC for the Dutch team.

I don't know about other countries, but considering the popularity of Australia in the Netherlands, there will be a very decent amount of Dutch fans flying from the Netherlands and Dutch people living in Australia.
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #5175
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Somehow I doubt FIFA will allow Sydney to have two stadiums. "West Sydney" is not going to cut it.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2009, 04:24 AM   #5176
magic_johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Somehow I doubt FIFA will allow Sydney to have two stadiums. "West Sydney" is not going to cut it.
We could build a wall seperating the it if needed
Old June 21st, 2009, 06:22 AM   #5177
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
If there was another obvious candidate as host city the you would be right, but there isn't. Every city with a metropolitan population over 300k would already be hosting games. I don't think FIFA would expect Geelong to build a 40k stadium when it's population is under 200k.
Australia has a small population with the vast majority of people living in the 5 biggest cities. Almost half the population lives in either Sydney or Melbourne.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM   #5178
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Is West Sydney actually considered a different city than Sydney?
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:09 AM   #5179
aaronaugi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Is West Sydney actually considered a different city than Sydney?
It is considered part of greater Sydney but the population will tell you its like living in a different place - i doubt any large portion of the populaton work in central/inner Sydney.

I guess it could be considered similar to San Francisco Bay. The area is known for SF but extends to major cities like San Jose and Oakland. Western Sydney is Sydneys San Jose on a smaller scale.

Basically everything to the left of (and including) Bankstown and Parramatta. Sydney's Olympic Park and ANZ Stadium are located (on this map) above the area labelled Strathfield.
aaronaugi1 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:21 AM   #5180
magic_johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXC9czlkMwM
with the capacity to be able to uped to 70,000 aswell??

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup