daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 21st, 2009, 11:11 PM   #5181
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5597

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Somehow I doubt FIFA will allow Sydney to have two stadiums. "West Sydney" is not going to cut it.
In a FIFA World Cup bid only one city is allowed to have two stadiums. That is what FIFA states in its rule book.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:23 AM   #5182
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
In a FIFA World Cup bid only one city is allowed to have two stadiums. That is what FIFA states in its rule book.
I'm aware of that and I'm assuming the two stadium city is going to be Melbourne.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:36 AM   #5183
Streuth

Likes (Received): 0

Here is the website for Australia's 2018-2022 bid.

http://www.australia2018-2022.com.au/

I don't think anybody is under the illusion that we are favourites to win the bid. However, we will put forward a very strong bid. They played the video (at the above website) at half time of the Australia Japan game. It looks like a bit of money has already been spent. It appears as if they are really pushing the tourism side of the bid in an attempt to overcome the tyranny of distance, which is a big weakness.
Streuth no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM   #5184
flavze

the other option is to rebuild Parramatta stadium into a 40k to be used by the western sydney a-league team and use that and Homebush stadium.

Parramatta is a city in it's own right, that would leave Melbourne to be the city to have 2 stadiums used.
flavze no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:25 AM   #5185
Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_johnson View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXC9czlkMwM
with the capacity to be able to uped to 70,000 aswell??
This is the proposed multi-purpose stadium to replace Subiaco Oval. Currently there is no guarantee that it will go ahead even though it seems the most logical solution. I believe it was proposed to be 60,000 with room to expand to 70,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
AFL venues suck for rectangular pitches. See also: Subiaco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Was that my point?
Your point might have been valid if you used an appropriate example. To say 'AFL venues suck for rectangular pitches' is fine if you back up your statement with an example. To provide Subiaco Oval as proof is incorrect as it is extremely unlikely to hold a FIFA World Cup game in its current form. This is a 'FIFA World Cup bid' thread isn't it. Perhaps a more appropriate example would be the MCG or any other AFL venue likely to hold a FIFA World Cup game.

*MCG hosting a football match
Bump no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:38 AM   #5186
Bump

Here are some technical requirements for the 2018/22 bids stated by Frank Lowy:
http://www.australia2018-2022.com.au...il.aspx?view=3
Address by Mr Frank Lowy AC Chairman, Football Federation of Australia National Press Club, Canberra
Quote:
FIFA has stringent technical requirements which must be met. For the 2018 and 2022 bids, we have been advised that we must have:

• A minimum of 12 stadia, at least two of which must hold 80,000 fans
• 10 stadia which must hold a minimum of 45,000 fans
• Training facilities for 32 teams; and,
• Five-star accommodation for a minimum of four teams, the FIFA organisation and match officials in every host city.
And this was reported by a media outlet, but I can't seem to find a direct quote from Mr Buckley:
http://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=393
Quote:
Mr Buckley yesterday confirmed the FFA's preferred option is for Australia to have 12 World Cup venues, with no more than two venues in each city.
This seems to me that the 'only one city may have two stadia' rule may not be true. Can anyone provide a quote from FIFA on this?
Bump no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM   #5187
magic_johnson

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streuth View Post
Here is the website for Australia's 2018-2022 bid.

http://www.australia2018-2022.com.au/

I don't think anybody is under the illusion that we are favourites to win the bid. However, we will put forward a very strong bid. They played the video (at the above website) at half time of the Australia Japan game. It looks like a bit of money has already been spent. It appears as if they are really pushing the tourism side of the bid in an attempt to overcome the tyranny of distance, which is a big weakness.
Here be the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezCpm...layer_embedded
magic_johnson no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:22 PM   #5188
genkie456

Well Benelux 2018 is working intensively to influence the FIFA members. Ambassadors named: Christian Karembeu (French, good network in africa), Johan cruijf, Marco Van Basten, Ruud Gullit and frank rijkaard (probably also Guus Hiddink, but that's not sure concerning Russia 2018). Belgian ambassadors will be of course Jean marie pfaff, michel preud'homme and some other players.

new common site is launched: www.thebid.org
genkie456 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2009, 08:36 PM   #5189
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavze View Post
the other option is to rebuild Parramatta stadium into a 40k to be used by the western sydney a-league team and use that and Homebush stadium.

Parramatta is a city in it's own right, that would leave Melbourne to be the city to have 2 stadiums used.
True, technicaly speaking, Sydney City is only a small part of the Sydney metropolitan area. Even ANZ stadium (Auburn) and Sydney Football Stadium (Sydney City) are in different local government areas, so I'm wondering how strict FIFA is with the one stadium per city rule? Do they actually refer to local government areas, or to metropolitan areas?
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM   #5190
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
True, technicaly speaking, Sydney City is only a small part of the Sydney metropolitan area. Even ANZ stadium (Auburn) and Sydney Football Stadium (Sydney City) are in different local government areas, so I'm wondering how strict FIFA is with the one stadium per city rule? Do they actually refer to local government areas, or to metropolitan areas?
i think it's government area. although they like a wide geographical spread, hence why leipzig was chosen in Germany ahead of bigger built stadiums in Monchengladbach, Bremen and Dusseldorf (which iirc is Germany's media capital...
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:33 AM   #5191
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
That's nice in theory but you're bidding with the crutch of having just hosted. If FIFA wants to go to Asia they're going to Australia unless South Korea can provide something unbelievable that's impossible for FIFA to overlook. Using past stadiums isn't going to cut it. You'll need an enormous showpiece venue like Soccer City type venue exceeding 90,000 to have any chance.
(Read every single word of this post and see what I mean.)

Then they should have built the Seoul WC stadium at an 80,000 capacity. For a WC at Korea, Seoul would be used as a two-stadium city (there is a requirement where only one host city can have two stadiums, and Seoul is the only city that can handle the role). Seoul WC Stadium and the Olympic Stadium would serve as the venues (the latter can host the final). Another requirement is that two of the host cities must have stadiums larger than an 80,000 capacity. Decrease the required capacity to 70,000. Daegu WC Stadium has a 68000 capacity and that may be very close to 70,000. So I needs to ask one question: Can Seoul even support these three stadiums (Olympic Stadium, WC Stadium, and the 80000 stadium)? Let me get this off my chest: There is no way in hell that South Korea can build an 80,000-seat stadium, not even for South Korea to host the World Cup alone. And if South Korea builds that stadium, then it will be left as a BIG white elephant. The Seoul Olympic Stadium was advertised during the 1988 Olympics as having a capacity of 100,000 even though it doesn't look like it has that capacity. So South Korea can either use the near 70,000-seat Olympic Stadium as the final venue for a South Korea WC, or it can never host the WC in our lifetimes!

And one last thing: if South Korea wants to build any new venues for a WC, then they can build a new soccer stadium in Yeosu. Yeosu is hosting the 2012 World's Fair.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM   #5192
Horatio Caine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

The Russia bid

What towns are we talking about? Sure, a finale at Luzshniki Stadium and a semi and bronze-game at Gazprom Stadium in St. Petersburg would be fantastic. But what about the other games? Where will they be played?
Horatio Caine no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:36 PM   #5193
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 5987

Vladivostok. Take a train, bitch
Slagathor no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:38 PM   #5194
Horatio Caine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Vladivostok. Take a train, bitch
Haha, I would love that.
And one on the Kuriles, one on Frans Josefs Land and one next to the Berings Strait.
Horatio Caine no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:35 PM   #5195
poxuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Caine View Post
The Russia bid

What towns are we talking about? Sure, a finale at Luzshniki Stadium and a semi and bronze-game at Gazprom Stadium in St. Petersburg would be fantastic. But what about the other games? Where will they be played?
+ Kazan (Stadium for Universiade 2013; 45000)
+ Sochi (Stadium for Olympic Games 2014; 40000)

"President of Russian Football Union and Minister of Sports, Vitaly Mutko, on the meeting with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, said the preliminary list of "football cities":

Moscow, St. Petersburg, cities of Moscow Region, Krasnodar, Yaroslavl, Kazan, Samara, Volgograd, Saransk, Ekaterinburg."

Better to wait official bid.

I marked this cities, + Sochi and Rostov-on-Don:

I hope there will be some kind of "South Cluster" with Sochi, Krasnodar, Rostov-on-Don, Volgograd, and possibly Novorossiysk (there are plans on 40,000 stadium) with constructed for OG-2014 and developed infrastructure.

Updated: General Director of RFU, Alexey Sorokin, has told that the Russian bid for WC 2018/2022 most likely will be represented by national team coach, Guus Hiddink.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM   #5196
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
... Dusseldorf (which iirc is Germany's media capital...
You remember it incorrectly. Düsseldorf isn't even some kind of media capital in NRW.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5197
Joop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
You remember it incorrectly. Düsseldorf isn't even some kind of media capital in NRW.
? Düsseldorf is definately one of the German media capitals, and one of it's main economical centres! It didn't get any games because of it's proximity to Cologne, Gelsenkirchen and Dortmund. Anyway, geographical spread is much harder in Australia because it has far fewer cities with the required population. It would be great if Australia could get away with 2 stadiums in both Melbourne and Sydney, and have a 10 or 12 stadium bid.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM   #5198
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
? Düsseldorf is definately one of the German media capitals, ...
Just because you insist on it to be doesn't make it true. There is a single newspaper published in Düsseldorf which is nationwide significant. That alone doesn't make it a media centre of the whole country.
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #5199
limeyellow

I was wondering if there would be any chance of FIFA changing rules (specifically one city being able to have 2 venues to 3, or more than one city with 2 venues).

When were these rules made? And does FIFA usually change rules?
limeyellow no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #5200
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

When the situation arises I'm sure each case/host country will be considered in terms of only one city being "allowed" more than 1 venue.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup