daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 15th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #5201
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyellow View Post
I was wondering if there would be any chance of FIFA changing rules (specifically one city being able to have 2 venues to 3, or more than one city with 2 venues).

When were these rules made? And does FIFA usually change rules?
When it comes to this specific rule, my guess is don't count on them changing it. I really can't see them doing it unless the country that would have to do so is waaaaay better than any other candidate and that would be the only way for them to host. Because the so many countries all are pretty strong candidates, I don't see FIFA making an exception on that rule for a few decades. The only strong country that it would maybe make sense for is Australia, with them having two host stadiums in both Sydney and Melbourne, but I don't think even they would be allowed it.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #5202
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
When the situation arises I'm sure each case/host country will be considered in terms of only one city being "allowed" more than 1 venue.
No.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #5203
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
No.
You put up a compelling argument there.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #5204
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxuy View Post
+ Kazan (Stadium for Universiade 2013; 45000)
+ Sochi (Stadium for Olympic Games 2014; 40000)

"President of Russian Football Union and Minister of Sports, Vitaly Mutko, on the meeting with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, said the preliminary list of "football cities":

Moscow, St. Petersburg, cities of Moscow Region, Krasnodar, Yaroslavl, Kazan, Samara, Volgograd, Saransk, Ekaterinburg."

Better to wait official bid.

I marked this cities, + Sochi and Rostov-on-Don:

I hope there will be some kind of "South Cluster" with Sochi, Krasnodar, Rostov-on-Don, Volgograd, and possibly Novorossiysk (there are plans on 40,000 stadium) with constructed for OG-2014 and developed infrastructure.

Updated: General Director of RFU, Alexey Sorokin, has told that the Russian bid for WC 2018/2022 most likely will be represented by national team coach, Guus Hiddink.
Thanks for this post, we don't hear much about the Russian bid. So they are only thinking of using cities in the west of Russia. Are there other cities in Russia who have said they are interested in hosting games? Does the Russian FA have a 2018 / 2022 bid website yet?
Kobo no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #5205
poxuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
Thanks for this post, we don't hear much about the Russian bid. So they are only thinking of using cities in the west of Russia. Are there other cities in Russia who have said they are interested in hosting games? Does the Russian FA have a 2018 / 2022 bid website yet?
Yes, I think it will be cities only from western part. There is no website still, because I think it's too early. Together with the contract on carrying out the competition, Russia and other countries should submit the application book in FIFA in May, 2010. The final decision will be made in December, 2010.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #5206
ryebreadraz

Russia will have a very hard time getting a WC in 2018/2022. Only one of those two will go to Europe and Russia will have to compete with England/Spain/Benelux, which doesn't bode well for them. In 2026 or 2030 they'd have a shot though. FIFA always says they want the stadiums spread throughout the country, but I'd assume that they make an exception for a country with so much of its land uninhabited or close to it.
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #5207
poxuy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Russia will have a very hard time getting a WC in 2018/2022. Only one of those two will go to Europe and Russia will have to compete with England/Spain/Benelux, which doesn't bode well for them. In 2026 or 2030 they'd have a shot though. FIFA always says they want the stadiums spread throughout the country, but I'd assume that they make an exception for a country with so much of its land uninhabited or close to it.
Concurention is good, let the strongest win. And, as government already accepted, all projects of stadiums and developing of infrastructure will be build no matter of FIFA decision. President of RFU said that all Russian bid preparations are in full work.
+ Russia and England already have experiance in preparation of winning bid for Olympic Games, so I think it will help these countries.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #5208
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxuy View Post
Concurention is good, let the strongest win. And, as government already accepted, all projects of stadiums and developing of infrastructure will be build no matter of FIFA decision. President of RFU said that all Russian bid preparations are in full work.
+ Russia and England already have experiance in preparation of winning bid for Olympic Games, so I think it will help these countries.
I think Russia can put on a very fine WC and while FIFA wants spread, not concentration, Russia is a unique case with regards to their demographics and population density so I don't think that a bid with nearly every stadium in the west would be a problem. The issue Russia will have is not with stadia or infrastructure, but that they have to beat out the heavy favorites, England. Only one European country will get to host in 2018/2022 and I believe it will be England. I think that Russia will have a good chance next time the World Cup comes Europe's way though.
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #5209
BrisbaneROCKS

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
i believe sepp blatter actually invited england to create a bid... basically his way of saying "we'd like to host the world cup in your nice stadiums in 2018 please". given the massive gulf in quality between english stadiums and other countries hosting the world cup wouldnt be a problem, infact london could host it by itself.

Mate, there are a handful of stadia in Australia that knock the socks of many in England, so I wouldn't be too cocky. Suncorp Stadium here in Brisbane is one of the world's greatest football Stadiums (just ask Celtic), ANZ In Sydney (Olympic stadium) has obvious credentials, as does the new one down in Melbourne. That's not even discussing an expanded Skilled Park on the Gold Coast, and new stadia in Newcastle, Adelaide and Perth, and of course the MCG. Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Sydney, and Adelaide all have a prooven track record of hosting large international sporting events, and all are far more desirable locations that Manchester, the Midlands, or Newcastle. To be honest, if there is a weakness in England's bid, it's our point of difference and desirability, and our reputation as a brilliant sporting nation both in competition and in hosting. So this 'gulf in quality' you speak of is ill-concieved.

And it seems that our Australian bid is univiserially popular. Either way, we'll get 18 or 22, but 18 definately isn't a foregone conclusion my pommy friend.
BrisbaneROCKS no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #5210
magic_johnson

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisbaneROCKS View Post
Mate, there are a handful of stadia in Australia that knock the socks of many in England, so I wouldn't be too cocky. Suncorp Stadium here in Brisbane is one of the world's greatest football Stadiums (just ask Celtic), ANZ In Sydney (Olympic stadium) has obvious credentials, as does the new one down in Melbourne. That's not even discussing an expanded Skilled Park on the Gold Coast, and new stadia in Newcastle, Adelaide and Perth, and of course the MCG. Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Sydney, and Adelaide all have a prooven track record of hosting large international sporting events, and all are far more desirable locations that Manchester, the Midlands, or Newcastle. To be honest, if there is a weakness in England's bid, it's our point of difference and desirability, and our reputation as a brilliant sporting nation both in competition and in hosting. So this 'gulf in quality' you speak of is ill-concieved.

And it seems that our Australian bid is univiserially popular. Either way, we'll get 18 or 22, but 18 definately isn't a foregone conclusion my pommy friend.
We're not competing with England, so take a chill, haha.
magic_johnson no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #5211
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisbaneROCKS View Post

Good points. Australia has work to do but nobody doubts its ability to get the required venues in place and the ability to meet the tedious FIFA requirements in all aspects. Like South Africa it starts off with a good base of rugby/football venues so it will be able to achieve a good mix of new and existing venues.

IMO England 2018 is a foregone conclusion, but a surprise would be great except that I actually want England to host in 2018. I'd prefer Australia 2026 but it will no doubt be an excellent bid.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #5212
magic_johnson

Who else has a quality website like this:
http://www.australia2018-2022.com.au/
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #5213
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

Erm, England does:

http://www.england2018bid.com/
RobH no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #5214
magic_johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Not as good.
Old July 18th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #5215
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 229

The England website isn't as good but if you look at the amount of people and links going to the England website its a huge sign of support for the bid.
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #5216
Alemanniafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Suburb View Post
The England website isn't as good but if you look at the amount of people and links going to the England website its a huge sign of support for the bid.
Not really, it's much rather a sign of this website being easy to reach and up fairly high in the google rankings...and that english still is a widely used language in relation to some others of course.
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #5217
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

You know that for a fact do you? And last time I looked Ozzies speak English too (just about )
RobH no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #5218
poxuy
BANNED

Schedule of deadlines:

2009 - September 18 - Bid committee should be founded in bidding countries.

2009 - December 11 - Bid committee will sign the "Bid agreement" with FIFA, where will confirm the obligations. In the same terms the Organising committee will be founded.

2010 - May 14 - Deadline to submit technical bid book and hosting agreement to FIFA, including Government guarantees.

2010 - July-October - FIFA inspections of bidding countries. Political and technical presentations of the bid.

2010 - Autumn - Final presentations of the bid in FIFA headquarters in Zurich.

2010 - December - FIFA executive committee vote on 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosts.

And updated list (17.07.09) of Russian bid:

- Moscow (10,508,971)
- Moscow region (6,712,582)
- St. Petersburg (4,581,854)
- Nizhni Novgorod (1,280,355)
- Samara (1,135,318)
- Kazan (1,130,717)
- Rostov-on-Don (1,049,000)
- Volgograd (983,900)
- Krasnodar (709,735)
- Yaroslavl (605,200)
- Sochi (334,282)

reserve:

- Ekaterinburg (1,335,000)
- Kaliningrad (421,678)
- Saransk (352,000)

Map of stadium development in Eastern Europe - future stadiums for EURO 2012 and potential cities of Russia for WC 2018/2022 (projects are developed now):

poxuy no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #5219
hngcm

At first I thought Russia was annexing Poland and the rest of Eastern Europe in order to have the best bid for 2018 lol
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #5220
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Im not sure why some of our Aussie friends are getting a bit overworked with regards to the Oz bid against the England Bid, they are not competing with eachother. England is competing with the European bids thats all, and technically if it was just the England Bid versus the Oz bid for 2018 then England walks all over Austrailia. England is one of the few bids with nearly all purpose built Football stadia. I can't see Austrailia win 2018 (and besides i doubt thats enough time to get ready), a European country should rightly host the 2018 (obviously i think its about time England got to host). Then i have no doubt most likely Austrailia will get 2022 (with help from China not bidding) and be a great host.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup