daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 20th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #5221
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
At first I thought Russia was annexing Poland and the rest of Eastern Europe in order to have the best bid for 2018 lol
haha wouldnt surprise me
woozoo está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #5222
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
Im not sure why some of our Aussie friends are getting a bit overworked with regards to the Oz bid against the England Bid, they are not competing with eachother. England is competing with the European bids thats all, and technically if it was just the England Bid versus the Oz bid for 2018 then England walks all over Austrailia. England is one of the few bids with nearly all purpose built Football stadia. I can't see Austrailia win 2018 (and besides i doubt thats enough time to get ready), a European country should rightly host the 2018 (obviously i think its about time England got to host). Then i have no doubt most likely Austrailia will get 2022 (with help from China not bidding) and be a great host.
I'm Australian and i think England will get 2018. I'd rather we got 2022, it gives us more time to prepare.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #5223
magic_johnson

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
Im not sure why some of our Aussie friends are getting a bit overworked with regards to the Oz bid against the England Bid, they are not competing with eachother. England is competing with the European bids thats all, and technically if it was just the England Bid versus the Oz bid for 2018 then England walks all over Austrailia. England is one of the few bids with nearly all purpose built Football stadia. I can't see Austrailia win 2018 (and besides i doubt thats enough time to get ready), a European country should rightly host the 2018 (obviously i think its about time England got to host). Then i have no doubt most likely Austrailia will get 2022 (with help from China not bidding) and be a great host.
Spot on.
magic_johnson no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #5224
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

It looks like FIFA is warming to the idea of joint bids:

Quote:
A joint World Cup bid by Belgium and the Netherlands to host either the 2018 or 2022 tournament will be considered by FIFA after all.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said Monday that Belgian and Dutch officials assured him that their co-hosting candidacy would be run via a single organizing committee, not like the 2002 Japan-South Korea tournament, which posed a headache for football's governing body.

Blatter's comments appeared to reverse skeptical statements he made earlier this year, when he said joint bids will lose out in favor of a strong proposal from a solo host.

"After the World Cup 2002, the executive committee took a decision: never again a double candidature because it was absolutely wrong," Blatter said.

He said the way that tournament was run, with two organizing committees, different languages and budgets, made it too complex and cumbersome. But he said the Dutch-Belgian bid "is totally different," adding the bid was also a "sympathetic" one.

"The candidature like the Netherlands and Belgium shall be accepted because we have the evidence that there is only one organizing committee," Blatter said.

The two countries previously co-hosted for the 2000 European Championship, which was considered a success.

Blatter and other senior FIFA officials were invited for talks with Belgian Prime Minister Herman Van Rompuy and King Albert II at the royal palace on Monday to discuss the bid. Bid committee co-chair Alain Courtois said the candidacy "will answer all FIFA criteria."

Along with 10 other bids, Belgium and the Netherlands want to host either the 2018 or 2022 World Cup. On top of about ?1 billion ($1.42 billion) for up to a dozen stadiums, the nations would also have to improve public access through airport and highway upgrades.

Belgium, with 10 million people, and the Netherlands, with 16.5 million, are counting on a sympathy vote of other small nations worldwide to clinch the right to organize the World Cup.

Blatter said the bid from the two was welcome "because we want to show that the World Cup can still be held in smaller countries."

He also welcomed a similar co-hosting bid submitted by Spain and Portugal, but Blatter said he had not yet visited Madrid or Lisbon to get a briefing on how they plan to organize their bid. A meeting in Spain is planned for October, Blatter said.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said he was now examining all 11 preliminary bids, which also include applications by the United States, England and Russia. All candidates will have to submit a full bid book by next May.

The hosts will be chosen by the 24-member FIFA executive committee December 2010.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM   #5225
Horatio Caine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
At first I thought Russia was annexing Poland and the rest of Eastern Europe in order to have the best bid for 2018 lol
Hush! Dont give them any ideas...
Horatio Caine no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:51 AM   #5226
poxuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Caine View Post
Hush! Dont give them any ideas...
Sell this story to media. They love it. Brainwashing working very good, as I see.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM   #5227
Horatio Caine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxuy View Post
Sell this story to media. They love it. Brainwashing working very good, as I see.
Georgia yesterday, Poland tomorrow?
Trust me, I'm from Sweden. We've dealt with russians before...
Horatio Caine no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM   #5228
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

EDIT
Wezza no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:47 PM   #5229
kossia
BANNED

Likes (Received): 193

This is boolshit, yesterday Georgia? What Georgia, the fact that Georgia bombed Sout-Ossetia and that Shakashvili has said yesterday that he was wrong?!
kossia no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:34 AM   #5230
poxuy
BANNED

Quote:
LOL "oh save us from evil Russia blablabla".. 11 months after bombing S.Ossetia some people still didn't hear about it) I can write you hundreds of facts, which you never heard in media. But for what? Stupid people will not change their vision even if facts will be before their nose. Also this theme was discussed thousand times and every time were proved documentary that Georgia attacked Tskinval in the night, killing civillians. This was documented even by OSCE British members; EU and UN accepted that Russia did right. I even don't say that it's RUSSIA which called for UN emergency meeting right after Georgia began to bomb civillians.

U.S. Attacks Russia Through Client State Georgia
Documentary evidence against Saakashvili

Yes, brainwashing working very good, as I see.

But this is EXACTLY why this war was provoked - to blackmail Russia in any way, everywhere, by any pretexts.

At the same time US killing 150 civillians on wedding just in one "mistake" strike in Afghanistan, and no one cares. Pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossia View Post
This is boolshit, yesterday Georgia? What Georgia, the fact that Georgia bombed Sout-Ossetia and that Shakashvili has said yesterday that he was wrong?!
I think such "uncomfortable" facts are hiding and censoring in Poland. It explains all.

Moderators, just delete this blablabla beginning from Horatio Caine message. Some kids still live in black/white reality.

Last edited by poxuy; July 23rd, 2009 at 12:40 AM.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM   #5231
Vermeer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
As you dealt with the Nazis during WW2 (As friends I mean). With your history you should maybe keep a lower profile.
Vermeer no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM   #5232
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

INTERVIEW-Soccer-World Cup bid race is toughest yet - England

BANGKOK, July 23 (Reuters) - Competition to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups will be the fiercest ever but the home of the Premier League is the ideal venue for the tournament, according to the head of England's bid.

Andy Anson said the soccer infrastructure and huge domestic passion for the game made England the perfect choice, but he warned against complacency with nine other countries bidding hard for the right to host the tournament.

"We believe we can put on an incredibly exciting World Cup, and we strongly believe we can win this bid," Anson told Reuters on Thursday during a visit to Thailand.

"We have a very compelling case to win but it's incredibly competitive, more than there has ever been for a World Cup. You can't afford to be complacent, we have a nine countries bidding very aggressively."

Australia, Japan, Mexico, Russia and the United States have bid for both the 2018 and 2022 tournaments, along with two joint proposals from Belgium and the Netherlands and Spain and Portugal.

South Korea, Indonesia and Qatar have confirmed their interest in staging the 2022 finals. FIFA will decide on the hosts in December 2010.

BIGGEST RIVALS

England has only hosted the World Cup once, in 1966, and the former commercial director of Manchester United would not be drawn on who the biggest rivals were.

"We can't talk about individual competitors, but that's helpful, because there's no point focusing on any one competitor," he said. "There are so many in the field, it makes you more determined to do a good job."

Although England has bid for both the 2018 and 2022 finals, Anson said the target was to stage the tournament as soon as possible.

"We want 2018 and are very focused on that, we feel we have the stadium, infrastructure and fans, we believe we can put on a great World Cup in 2018 so why would we want to wait until 2022?"

England had learned from the unsuccessful "football's coming home" bid to stage the 2006 finals, Anson said, and was travelling the world to listen to the opinions of FIFA member countries.

POLITICAL INFIGHTING

Despite rumours of political infighting between different sectors of the lucrative English game, Anson said all parties involved had fully backed the bid.

"We've made it our priority, we have to communicate heavily to everyone to make sure we're all in the loop and in the decision-making process," he said.

"I've not met anyone who doesn't want to be on board or support this bid. It's hard to see why England shouldn't have it, we now have to convince the rest of the world."

Fifteen cities are aiming to earn the right to stage matches, including lesser-known soccer outposts like Hull, Bristol, Derby and Milton Keynes, alongside the traditional strongholds of London, Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle.

There will be a shortlist of 64 venues across the country, 32 of which will be selected as base camps for the teams. One aim is to spread the tournament to as many parts of the country as possible, he added.

Plans to build new stadiums for Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham Hotspur, in addition to established arenas of clubs like Arsenal, Manchester United and Newcastle meant the bid had more capital to channel into strengthening other areas.

"It's one of the attractions from this bid from an English point is we don't have to develop anything major," Anson said.

Anson said he also believed the 2012 London Olympics would serve as a launchpad.

"It's huge asset and the six years between is positive because of resources, skills and infrastructure," he said.

"We have a great showcase in the Premier League, great stadiums and fans who are committed and passionate. We have such a fantastic base to build a bid on."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:46 AM   #5233
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature...up2010&cc=5901

Just found this piece that says Qatar would make 2022 a purely indoor World Cup.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2009, 04:04 AM   #5234
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

why does that matter it's not as if they are going to hold the world cup before hell freezes over is it?
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #5235
boyerling3

If England won either bid, would they think about using venues in Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland, or possibly even Ireland? I know the differences between the areas, but does anyone think it would be considered a joint bid if they just had a couple venues outside what is technically England?
boyerling3 no está en línea  
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #5236
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerling3 View Post
If England won either bid, would they think about using venues in Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland, or possibly even Ireland? I know the differences between the areas, but does anyone think it would be considered a joint bid if they just had a couple venues outside what is technically England?
They do that in rugby but England has enough huge football stadia that they wouldn't have to. Too many there would throw a fit if games were held at Millenium or Hampden Park.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #5237
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
They do that in rugby but England has enough huge football stadia that they wouldn't have to. Too many there would throw a fit if games were held at Millenium or Hampden Park.
they do it in rugby to win votes, it wouldn't be allowed by FIFA me thinks anyway...
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #5238
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Rugby for Europe that is allows say France to have some of it's matches held in neighbouring England, Wales and Scotland because of the fact that such nations are automatic hosts.

Should England want cities from say Scotland or Wales to be a part of the bid, then that wouldn't be allowed by FIFA, as it would be seen as a joint bid even if it's just from 1 or 2 cities and that they would be required to provide the other nations such as Scotland or Wales a place in the WC.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #5239
poxuy
BANNED

Russia - Liechtenstein 3:0

Fans banner.

Quote:
MOSCOW – 5 September 2009 — The Russian Football Union is proud to officially announce Russia's unconditional commitment to compete to be named as Host Country for the 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cup. With the full backing of the national leadership, the organizational team is now in place to bring the FIFA World Cup to Russia for the first time in history and establish Russia as an international centre for football.

The privilege of hosting the World Cup will have a significant positive impact upon Russia and serve to:
Leave a lasting legacy for football; not only in world class infrastructure but in coaching, training and administration experience;
Establish football as a means of teaching both sport and life skills to millions of Russian youth;
Stimulate and accelerate economic development and general infrastructure growth throughout Russia;
Proudly welcome the world's football fans to the warmth and friendship of Russia.

Nationwide growth of the game at all levels is expected to continue. The bid is expressive of Russia's affection for football and builds off the Russian national team's strong 3rd place showing in the Euro 2008 tournament. The world's favourite sport is also Russia's favourite sport, and with more than 100 nationalities and 11 time zones stretching across the vast continent, no other country presents the chance to share this great event with so diverse a population. Russia has forever been at the crossroads of east and west. Its limitless and uniquely beautiful geography, and its ancient mixture of peoples, beliefs and customs have created a truly one-of-a-kind society in the world's largest country.

One of thirteen countries vying for a chance to host the tournament, Russia's first major milestone will be delivery of the bid book on 14 May 2010.
http://www.russia2018-2022.com/

Last edited by poxuy; September 6th, 2009 at 12:03 AM.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #5240
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerling3 View Post
No of course not, there's plenty of Venues already in England. And more being built. Any talk of using venues in neighbouring Wales, Scotland etc would constitute as a joint bid, or an excuse to use such high capacity venues without their teams having a secured place in the WC. It won't happen unless it were a joint bid. England can do it alone.
Lord David no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup