daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #5281
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
AUSSIES IN WONDERLAND GO ENJOY UR STUPID BID
Where's Portugl?
Aka no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #5282
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
Where's Portugl?
SO U STILL BELIEVE Japan/Bahrain are stronger than Mexico.
IGNORANCE IS BLISS - Enjoy
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #5283
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Does someone have one of those cute troll gifs?
Aka no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #5284
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

CONCACAF and AFC are about equal in strength (although the US and Mexico are better than any asian team).

Although I doubt Bahrain could do what Trinidad did in the last World Cup. In all honesty I'm hoping they get killed in every game so they take away 0.5 spot from Asia. Give it to Europe.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #5285
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
CONCACAF and AFC are about equal in strength (although the US and Mexico are better than any asian team).

Although I doubt Bahrain could do what Trinidad did in the last World Cup. In all honesty I'm hoping they get killed in every game so they take away 0.5 spot from Asia. Give it to Europe.
Buddy
Europe is already over represented.
Serbia & Montenegro - do u think they add up to the challenge.
They wer almost like the whipping boys in 06.
I suppose, the present system is fine, Europe represented by the popularity & revenue, aspiring nations of Africa and developing (with huge spectator base) Asia.
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #5286
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
SO U STILL BELIEVE Japan/Bahrain are stronger than Mexico.
IGNORANCE IS BLISS - Enjoy
Don't compare Japan to Bahrain. Japan is a tier above Bahrain.

No, Bahrain couldn't beat Mexico. Japan and Mexico are on the same tier. Japan looks worse because they don't kick the snot out of St. Kitts and Nevis all the time.

Fact is, CONCACAF teams run hot and cold. On their day Costa Rica would put Brazil to the sword, but they've also lost 4-0 to Honduras. Japan is consistently above average.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #5287
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Don't compare Japan to Bahrain. Japan is a tier above Bahrain.

No, Bahrain couldn't beat Mexico. Japan and Mexico are on the same tier. Japan looks worse because they don't kick the snot out of St. Kitts and Nevis all the time.

Fact is, CONCACAF teams run hot and cold. On their day Costa Rica would put Brazil to the sword, but they've also lost 4-0 to Honduras. Japan is consistently above average.
Rightly said, those teams are highly unpredictable like almost derailed Brazil from 2002 qualification and Argentina seems to be on the same path for 2010.

Going back to 2018 & 2022 bids, r u from Japan? If so wat is the general opinion about the WC bid. Cos there is a lot of resistance for Tokyo 2016 bid though.
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #5288
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Buddy
I suppose, the present system is fine, Europe represented by the popularity & revenue, aspiring nations of Africa and developing (with huge spectator base) Asia.
Serbia, who are currently leading France at the top of their qualifying group, and qualified ahead of Spain for 2006?

They only did badly in 2006, because they were in the hardest group. Argentina and the Netherlands are always strong teams, and Ivory Coast were the strongest of the African nations at the tournament. In most other groups, Serbia may well have progressed. If they'd had France's group (Togo, Switzerland, South Korea) they would have walked through it.
SSE no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #5289
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
AUSSIES IN WONDERLAND GO ENJOY UR STUPID BID
It's not stupid! We're an emerging power in Football. What are we now? 16? We can be ready, and it's not a wonderland sort of bid. We deserve it. If you want a stupid bid, then look at Qatar or Indonesia.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #5290
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Buddy
Errm Serbia is one of the better teams in Europe, they are no minnows and infact will be a match for any team in the world on their day and are better then most teams in Asia and CONCACAF. They are top of their qualifying group for the World Cup and (as has already been pointed out) were in a tough group in 2006.
Old September 19th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #5291
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
COOL YOUR TEMPERS - TRUTH IS ALWAYS BITTER TO ACCEPT

i. 2006 WC - Tougher Group? My Phillistine buddy, USA drew against Eventual champions Italy & had Ghana the African Party Spoiler as any novice in World Football acknowledges & Czech hav been WC finalists twice though not in good form then.

ii. The concentration of the Aus Bid venues - 2 Melbourne, 1 Sydney, 1 Adelaide, 2 Brisbane (If Canberra add 1 more) isnt this concentration in one south east area (West was typo error from me). Pls go back to High School to learn Geography of ur land.

iii. Every month, Kevin Ruud goes to claim that pls dissociate Australia being racial. If v go by wat u say, Why does he need to give this justification every month? Racial attacks on Asians in Australian Cities is like a routine Page 3 story.

But you did not deny the fact Aus go out to England to play their friendlies. If u cant host friendlies why dream WC?

Chill out, there is no problem in losing few Millions in an unsuccessful bid to England, USA or China and pls prepare to face this truth from now on atleast.
1. Likely Venues. Townsville = North east, Brisbane = east, Sydney = East, Newcastle = East, Canberra = South east, Darwin = North, Melbourne = South east, Tasmania = South east, Perth = west, Adelaide = South. Although It may look like many venues are in south east the distances are massive. If you look at australias demographics and geography you will see that Australia has 22 million people on 7 692 024 Sq Km compared to Englands 60,000,000 on 240 000 Sq Km or Americas 304,000,000 on 9,161,923 Sq Km. As you can see australias population is much more sparce than most countries and our population is mostly confined to the areas mentioned above which for your information ire seperated by 000s of kms. What you were callink south east is equivelant in land mass to western Europe.

2. Racial attacks in Australia? yes there are some. Mostly carried out by racial groups. the issue is greatly blown up. there is very little crime and violence in australia compared to other countries ESPECIALY AMERICA.

3. You have shown from your threads thet you are ignorant of Football and the world in general outside of America. I feel sorry for most Americans that People like you have damaged your countries reputation so much.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #5292
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
Errm Serbia is one of the better teams in Europe, they are no minnows and infact will be a match for any team in the world on their day and are better then most teams in Asia and CONCACAF. They are top of their qualifying group for the World Cup and (as has already been pointed out) were in a tough group in 2006.
they are better than ALL teams in those regions

Quote:
If they'd had switzerland's group (Togo, France, South Korea) they would have walked through it.
that's better

Last edited by bigbossman; September 19th, 2009 at 05:11 AM.
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #5293
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Looks like Australias bid is pretty much over.

Too many ifs and maybes at this stage of the game. Too many poor, oval stadiums. If the bid succeeds I will be very, very surprised.

Lowy gave it a good shot, and it was looking promising at one stage, but with too many interest groups to please, and not enough strong support from the state and Federal governments, I think it will fall through in the end.

I think Rudd did all he could too, but its the states that let the bid down.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #5294
Lord David

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post

Too many ifs and maybes at this stage of the game. Too many poor, oval stadiums. If the bid succeeds I will be very, very surprised.

Lowy gave it a good shot, and it was looking promising at one stage, but with too many interest groups to please, and not enough strong support from the state and Federal governments, I think it will fall through in the end.

How is it over? We'll probably offer 3-4 oval stadiums at the most, compared to the 8 or so rectangular stadiums that would accompany them.

There's no ifs and maybes, once the FFA's list of stadiums are approved, then that will be the list of stadiums used in the bid.

We got a good chance, give us a shot, it's one of those "we're bound to host at least once" type of events, even if it has some unideal venues, just give us our once hosting and let it go.
Old September 20th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #5295
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Yea Australia's bid is far from over.

They're one true competitor is the USA for 2022.

Although I think they might also compete with a possible China bid in 2026...
hngcm no está en línea  
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #5296
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post

I think the following wud b better than OZ in addition to US:
i. Japan - Way ahead
ii. S korea - Way Ahead
iii. Belgium-Neth/Spain-Port - For the sheer passion n history
iv. Russia - On par demographics wise? But football history n popularity better.
iii. & iv wud b annuled if England wins 2018 (Most probably wud be the host)
The states seem highly disconcerted. No doubt which state wud like to waste such huge amounts if these efforts end up white elephants?
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #5297
MelbournesNT

Australia with either Melbourne or Sydney to host final, preferably Melbourne because they are the sporting capital of the world and they have to biggest support of Football (soccer) in the country, not to mention the biggest stadium with the most history, but my guess is Sydney will get it because the FFA are ******* retards and they just want it in there own city, oh wellzz.
MelbournesNT no está en línea  
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #5298
Lord David

No that's not the reason. The reason will be that the FFA will choose on whether they want a rectangular stadium or larger capacity to host the final. At any rate, the loser will get the opening match, that is of course assuming we get the WC in the first place!
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #5299
Vermeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbournesNT View Post
Australia with either Melbourne or Sydney to host final, preferably Melbourne because they are the sporting capital of the world and they have to biggest support of Football (soccer) in the country, not to mention the biggest stadium with the most history, but my guess is Sydney will get it because the FFA are ******* retards and they just want it in there own city, oh wellzz.
Strange that the sporting capital of the world can be that far from the rest of the world
Vermeer no está en línea  
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #5300
Lord David

Quote:
I think the following wud b better than OZ in addition to US:
i. Japan - Way ahead
ii. S korea - Way Ahead
iii. Belgium-Neth/Spain-Port - For the sheer passion n history
iv. Russia - On par demographics wise? But football history n popularity better.
iii. & iv wud b annuled if England wins 2018 (Most probably wud be the host)
The states seem highly disconcerted. No doubt which state wud like to waste such huge amounts if these efforts end up white elephants?
New stadiums will not end up as white elephants. There's always a tenant to be found. It's all a matter of costs and if the government will commit to such costs.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup