daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 28th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #5321
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
They're not better as neither will win! :P Even though they are technically better, they still have problems to Iron out. .... can host, but are in similar boats with Australia, only less troublesome (We lack the lower capacity venues, they got no 80,000+ stadiums).
Oops how did, Berlin with 74,228 & Yokohama with 72,000 get to host?
Even if necessary, Japan/Korea can achieve these. Because they already have 10 stadiums with World Cup hosting capabilities, one new stadium should not be an issue for them as they dont have to deal with circular/oval stadiums to convince FIFA.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #5322
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
Even if necessary, Japan/Korea can achieve these. Because they already have 10 stadiums with World Cup hosting capabilities, one new stadium should not be an issue for them as they dont have to deal with circular/oval stadiums to convince FIFA.
I don't think its a matter of stadiums. whichever country wins will have good stadiums by the time of the cup. I dont think US, korea or japan should get it purely because they have all hosted it recently.
And having bigger stadiums doesn't make the US bid better than anyone elses. A good cup comes down to more than how many people can fit into the games.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #5323
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
I don't think its a matter of stadiums. whichever country wins will have good stadiums by the time of the cup. I dont think US, korea or ..... people can fit into the games.
Thats right, every country would deliver the required infrastructure once selected.
Presently, the matter of discussion is how good are the bids considering all the aspects; sporting infrastructure, general infrastructure, legacy leftover by the event, financial arrangements, enivronmental effects (how green), popularity of the game in the region/nation etc.
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #5324
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
Times have changed, Brazil apparently is the last host to permit 40,000+ for groups and 70,000+ for finals.
According to FFA, it's 45,000 now and 2 80,000 needed.

Korea, maybe, but Japan only if they get that 100,000 stadium.

I'm sure they'll make an exception for Qatar.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #5325
pazke

Likes (Received): 0

Does Spain needs Portugal to gain the 2018 bid ?

If everything goes as planned they can get up to 15/16 grounds of +40.000 ready by 2018.
pazke no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #5326
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Its a bit rich calling anywhere the sporting capital of the world but at least give it a fair comparison.

Athletics:
Melbourne, Olympic Park (18 000)
London, do they even have one? Temporary olympic stadium being built.

Cricket:
Melbourne, MCG (100,000)
London, Lords (29,000)

Rugby:
Melbourne, Olympic park (18,000)
London, Twickenham (80,000)

Football:
Melbourne, Etihad stadium (55,000)
London, Wembley (90,000)

Tennis:
Melbourne, Olympic park and Kooyong tennis club Rod laver arena (15,000)
London, Wimbledon, Centre court (15,000)

Other stadiums in melbourne. Flemington racecourse (150,000), Vodafone arena, (11,000) retractable roof for tennis cycling basketball, Princes park (35,000), Victoria park, etc... State of the art Football, Rugby stadium currently being built, (32,000)

Considering rugby and football are minor sports in melbourne with the main sport Australian football and the fact that melbournes population is only half of londons it can hardly be said that london outclasses Melbourne in terms of sporting Infrustructure.
I'm not having a bash at Melbourne's sporting infrastructure (it's fantastic) but your comparative list above is so woefully incomplete as to be laughable.

You've included pretty much every current or yet to be completed stadium in Melbourne yet you've included barely a tenth of London's stadiums.

For athletics - Crystal Palace (16,500) and an 80,000 Olympic stadium which will be reduced in size to accomodate 25,000 after the Olympics.

For cricket - you've failed to include the Oval (23K) - which will soon have a 25,000 capacity. You've also neglected to mention that Lords' capacity will rise to 35-40K.

For football - you've failed to mention the Emirates stadium (60,000); Stamford Bridge (42K); White Hart Lane (36K); Upton Park (35K); The Valley (27K); Craven Cottage (26K); Selhurst Park (25K); Vicarage Road (20K); Loftus Road (20K); the New Den (20K); Griffin Park (13K); Brisbane Road (10K); Underhill (6K); Victoria Road (Dagenham & Redbridge) (6K). And that's just the clubs in the Premiership and Football League.

You've also failed to mention Spurs' new 58,000 capacity stadium that will be completed within the next few years.

For rugby - there's also the Stoop (13K). And the Richmond and Rosslyn Park stadiums (both less than 5K).

For indoor events, you failed to mention the O2 Arena (23K).

Other famous indoor venues with a capacity of between five and twenty thousand that are occasionally or regularly used for sporting events include the Albert Hall, Earls Court and Olympia.

Racing: Ascot, Epsom Downs, Kempton Park, Sandown Park. Capacities at racetracks are meaningless since racegoers rarely sit. But the Derby at Epsom has attracted crowds of 200,000.

Your list also fails to take into account the intangibles of tradition and worldwide importance and repute.

Yes, the MCG is a magnificent stadium for cricket (or aussie rules) and Lords may seem a bit puny by comparison. But what Lords lacks in size, it more than makes up for in terms of its aura of history and tradition and being the home of world cricket.

Likewise, Wimbledon. There is nowhere on the tennis map that can compare with the atmosphere of Wimbledon. That is why it is considered by most to be the preeminent Grand Slam event.

Likewise, Wembley. A new stadium but still the home of the nation that gave birth to the game and therefore players from all over the world look forward to playing there one day.

And Twickenham is to rugby union what Wembley, Lords and Wimbledon are to football, cricket and tennis -the home of the nation that gave the sport to the world.

There are probably still a few stadiums / arenas that I've neglected to mention but I hope you can at least now see why your post was somewhat incomplete.
JimB no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #5327
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazke View Post
Does Spain needs Portugal to gain the 2018 bid ?

If everything goes as planned they can get up to 15/16 grounds of +40.000 ready by 2018.
I think Spain's decision to include Portugal in their bid is a tactical one.

Spain will certainly have the stadium and infrastructure to host on their own but they probably realise that they would be unlikely to be chosen ahead of England for 2018 0r 2022, simply because they last hosted the World Cup in 1982 while England haven't hosted the World Cup since 1966.

By including Portugal, they can say that their bid will bring the World Cup to cities that have never before hosted it.
JimB no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #5328
pazke

I guess that Portugal only have 3 grounds over +40.000 (2 x Lisbon, 1 x Porto), all the remaining grounds of Euro 2004 are 30.000 and less. I was just wondering that.
pazke no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #5329
mvictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I'm not having a bash at Melbourne's sporting infrastructure (it's fantastic) but your comparative list above is so woefully incomplete as to be laughable.

You've included pretty much every current or yet to be completed stadium in Melbourne yet you've included barely a tenth of London's stadiums.

For athletics - Crystal Palace (16,500) and an 80,000 Olympic stadium which will be reduced in size to accomodate 25,000 after the Olympics.

For cricket - you've failed to include the Oval (23K) - which will soon have a 25,000 capacity. You've also neglected to mention that Lords' capacity will rise to 35-40K.

For football - you've failed to mention the Emirates stadium (60,000); Stamford Bridge (42K); White Hart Lane (36K); Upton Park (35K); The Valley (27K); Craven Cottage (26K); Selhurst Park (25K); Vicarage Road (20K); Loftus Road (20K); the New Den (20K); Griffin Park (13K); Brisbane Road (10K); Underhill (6K); Victoria Road (Dagenham & Redbridge) (6K). And that's just the clubs in the Premiership and Football League.

You've also failed to mention Spurs' new 58,000 capacity stadium that will be completed within the next few years.

For rugby - there's also the Stoop (13K). And the Richmond and Rosslyn Park stadiums (both less than 5K).

For indoor events, you failed to mention the O2 Arena (23K).

Other famous indoor venues with a capacity of between five and twenty thousand that are occasionally or regularly used for sporting events include the Albert Hall, Earls Court and Olympia.

Racing: Ascot, Epsom Downs, Kempton Park, Sandown Park. Capacities at racetracks are meaningless since racegoers rarely sit. But the Derby at Epsom has attracted crowds of 200,000.

Your list also fails to take into account the intangibles of tradition and worldwide importance and repute.

Yes, the MCG is a magnificent stadium for cricket (or aussie rules) and Lords may seem a bit puny by comparison. But what Lords lacks in size, it more than makes up for in terms of its aura of history and tradition and being the home of world cricket.

Likewise, Wimbledon. There is nowhere on the tennis map that can compare with the atmosphere of Wimbledon. That is why it is considered by most to be the preeminent Grand Slam event.

Likewise, Wembley. A new stadium but still the home of the nation that gave birth to the game and therefore players from all over the world look forward to playing there one day.

And Twickenham is to rugby union what Wembley, Lords and Wimbledon are to football, cricket and tennis -the home of the nation that gave the sport to the world.

There are probably still a few stadiums / arenas that I've neglected to mention but I hope you can at least now see why your post was somewhat incomplete.
Yes london might have a large amount of football stadiums but on the other hand melbourne could nearly host an olympic games without building any new venues, no i didnt go through all of melbournes venues. In terms of history I will compare MCG to lords. the MCG was opened in the early 1850s, only 15 years after Melbourne was settled. Football was first played there in the 1850's and it was the birthplace of Australian Football. while this may not be significant to the rest of the world it is in Australia. it hosted the olympics in 56, commonwelth Games 06, Many cricket tests and is home to australian open. Melbourne is also home to Australian open Grand slam, Formula one grand prix, Melbourne cup, etc... ubove all this nearly all of melbournes sporting infrustructure is within 5 minutes walk of the CBD which can't be said for many other citys. On atmosphere at wimbledon every year without failure we hear of a bunch of australians getting kicked out for making a bit of noise.

I am not trying to say Melbourne is some sporting capital. just that it is on par with any other city in the world and it packs a massive punch for it's size.
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #5330
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazke View Post
I guess that Portugal only have 3 grounds over +40.000 (2 x Lisbon, 1 x Porto), all the remaining grounds of Euro 2004 are 30.000 and less. I was just wondering that.
They're planning on expanding Estádio Algarve to 40.000 seats just for the World Cup.
Aka no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #5331
JimB

Quote:
Yes london might have a large amount of football stadiums but on the other hand melbourne could nearly host an olympic games without building any new venues, no i didnt go through all of melbournes venues. In terms of history I will compare MCG to lords. the MCG was opened in the early 1850s, only 15 years after Melbourne was settled. Football was first played there in the 1850's and it was the birthplace of Australian Football. while this may not be significant to the rest of the world it is in Australia. it hosted the olympics in 56, commonwelth Games 06, Many cricket tests and is home to australian open. Melbourne is also home to Australian open Grand slam, Formula one grand prix, Melbourne cup, etc... ubove all this nearly all of melbournes sporting infrustructure is within 5 minutes walk of the CBD which can't be said for many other citys. On atmosphere at wimbledon every year without failure we hear of a bunch of australians getting kicked out for making a bit of noise.

I am not trying to say Melbourne is some sporting capital. just that it is on par with any other city in the world and it packs a massive punch for it's size.
Couple of points:

1. When I was talking about the atmosphere at Wimbledon, I wasn't talking about the noise generated by the crowd. I was talking about the aura of tradition and the sense of history that permeates every corner and crevice of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet club during the Championship. You don't get that anywhere else. And that is why Wimbledon is considered by most to be the preeminent Grand Slam event.

2. I didn't mean to suggest that the MCG doesn't have history or tradition. Obviously it does. But it still isn't Lords - which, as the home of the MCC, is universally considered to be the home of the world game.

3. In terms of world famous, iconic venues, Melbourne has the MCG and, to a lesser extent, Melbourne Park tennis stadium. London has Wembley, Lords, Wimbledon and Twickenham. Arguably, a number of London's club football stadiums are also iconic and world famous on account of the Premier League's massive popularity and global audience.

You're right that Melbourne does have a fantastic sporting infrastructure and punches well above its weight for its size. But it still cannot compare to London. Sorry....it's just the truth.
JimB no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #5332
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Quote:
Yes london might have a large amount of football stadiums ..... city in the world and it packs a massive punch for it's size.
Hey Hey Hey cool down buddy,
Does Melbourne have a greater than 12K indoor Swimming complex?

For Hockey, Melbourne does not have 15K main pitch.

The indoor arena at Melbourne are sufficient enough only for CWG level, cos u expect, Volleyball, Gymnastics, Basketball, Handball all greater tha 10K for finals, Note: No clubbing of venues till prelims for these events. May be u can use the indoor Velodrome for Handball finals but not the rest.

What Melbourne did in 2006 was use the Exhibition Complex thoroughly and the available Indoor arena. But for the rest of Olympic Indoor events; Judo, Taekwondo, Karate, fencing, boxing etc they need good infrastructure.

What if T20 Cricket is included in 2020 or 2024, will MCG host the Track & field events in the evening with the pitch covered and have the Cricket event in the mornings?

U could have avoided the London epic hearing, as I already warned you.

So pls don't mislead the forum by meretricrious statements. Agreed that Melbourne has good sports infrastructure, but surely not to the extent of hosting Summer Games with very low Stadium investment.

Guys, Can we go back to the original intention of the thread FIFA WC 2018/2022.
Don't seem to hear anything about the European bids for a while, anyone there?

Last edited by antriksh_sfo; September 28th, 2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #5333
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

What happened to the construction of the Perth stadium. Seems it got scrapped?
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #5334
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:

sorry mate but u started it by trying to compare Melbourne and London with a less then accurate (and rather ridiculous) list.

with regards to England 2018 if Liverpool's new stadium could just get off the ground, then the bid could ultimately have 4 stadia with over 70,000 capacity.
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #5335
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Sydney and Melbourne combined probably stack up against London better than just Melbourne itself.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #5336
mvictory

Quote:
What if T20 Cricket is included in 2020 or 2024, will MCG host the Track & field events in the evening with the pitch covered and have the Cricket event in the mornings?
I dont know. Maybe you could host it at Docklands stadium or Princes park or kardinia park or Victoria park or Moorabbin or Whitten. dont forget Australian football is played on the same dimension field as cricket. anyway this thread is not about the olympics.

Quote:
What happened to the construction of the Perth stadium. Seems it got scrapped?
That one has being dead for a while now.
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #5337
ORFAES

Bad news for Mexico:

MEXICO WITHOUT WORLD CUP OF 2018 AND 2022

Mexico will not have World of 2018 not in 2022 announced today Decío de Maria, Technical Secretary of the Mexican Federation of Football, after the meeting that he established with the Owners' Meeting of the teams of The First Division.

" The FIFA showed comprehension and was grateful for the intention of competing in the licitation " The executive it informed that after studying the topic deeply it(he,she) came near to the conclusion of which the country will not have the economic solvency to be able to shelter the holiday of the international football.

" There was analyzed the topic of the participation of Mexico in the process of licitation for the World ones of 2018 and 2022, was decided to separate of the process of licitation for World, for the economic environment and the requirements of investment ", the executive declared.

Mexico that would have to have 10 sedate mundialistas to realize the event, it(he,she) does not rely on the economic potential to remodel or to create new stadiums that the holiday of the football could shelter since like it the FIFA demands, in spite of that I Shape Territory, the new Stadium of Goatees and that of Monterrey they are an already almost a reality.

" The circumstances through that we live do not allow to establish in the short term commitments of investment that allow to finance the works for the magnitude of this event. There is needed private and public investment that today is impossible to compromise to medium term, the stadiums need important investment that cannot be had now ", he expressed.

The Mexican Federation of Football after deliberating with the owners of the national football and coming to the conclusion of which they cannot shelter the World one of Football in the next 12 years, informed to the FIFA his(her,your) retirement(withdrawal), situation that the maximum organism(organisation) took of the best way, since they catalogued the sincerity of Mexico as a symbol of "Fair Play".

" The FIFA showed comprehension and was grateful for the intention of competing in the licitation ", there pronounced the Secretary of the Mexican Federation of Football.

Only three months ago, the Mexican Federation there was day-school his(her,your) desire to organize the World one in 2018 ó 2022 and he presented in Switzerland the licitation as countries like The United States, Australia, England, Japan, Russia, Belgium, Holland, Spain and Portugal; but today due to the fact that one does not possess(does not rely on) the economic potential, the country has given a step to the side.

orfaes | aldo_riot | ferdimont | alfemat | SC492 | andrew. | thomyorke26 | pirro62 | chral2009 | Toño Ortiz | Silverhawk | charlyblogger | mekanek | Jbte | parco20 | Benjaz | Cheetoh2002 | christian15 | dmaxl | fatboyslim | HEGAVIBE | italia7890 | nesbot7 | Nin0b0nit018 | parco20

FESTIVAL CULTURAL ZACATECAS 2012
31 de marzo- 14 de abril

http://www.festivalculturalzacatecas.mx/
ORFAES no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #5338
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Do you have a link to the story?

And Mexico didn't have a shot anyways.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #5339
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5782

Mexico drops 2018 and 2022 World Cup bid
Tuesday, 29 September 2009

September 29 - Mexico has withdrawn its bid to host either the 2018 or 2022 World Cup, claiming that they could not afford it during the current economic crisis.

Mexico faced competition from their northern neighbors United States as well as England but had hoped to become the first nation to host three World Cups nonetheless.

But fading economy and a lack of resources apparently forced the Mexican Football Federation's (FMF) to scrap the bid.

They said in a statement: "The decision is based on two premises: the global economic environment and the required infusion of funds towards infrastructure.

"The global economic environment and the deadlines do not allow for the authorities from the federation, nor the local and federal governments, to secure the finances necessary for the types of construction projects necessary for an event of this magnitude."

Mexico hosted the World Cup for the first time in 1970 and stepped in as a late replacement for Colombia's ultimately failed 1986 effort.

Mexico's Estadio Azteca remains the only stadium in the world to play host to two World Cup finals.

However, Mexico's stadiums, while in working order, are not the modern facilities found throughout the US, and an enormous financial investment would likely have been necessary to match the stadiums in England.

Chivas and Santos are set to open new stadiums soon while another is in the works in Monterrey but an overhaul of existing stadiums would likely be the minimum requirement that would have boosted World Cup bid.

The statement said: "In Mexico, we have the sufficient number of stadiums to hold the event but the majority of the stadiums were built several years ago under FIFA's former standards."

In South Africa, an estimated $1.4 billion (£881 million) has been spent on constructing nine stadiums in order to host the World Cup, according to reports. Brazil will need to spend in excess of $1 billion (£629 million) to upgrade existing stadiums in order to pull off the 2014 World Cup, according to reports.

Now that Mexico have pulled out, the remaining World Cup hopes for 2018 and 2022 fall to Australia, Indonesia, Japan and Russia, along with the US and England. Belgium and Holland as well as Spain and Portugal submitted joint bids.

Qatar and South Korea have bid for the 2022 World Cup only.

FIFA are due to annouce the hosts for both the 2018 and 2022 tournaments at a meeting on December 2, 2010.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index....news&Itemid=73
TEBC está en línea ahora  
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #5340
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5782

For me 2018 will be for sure England. Maybe Spain/Portugal and Belgium and Netherlands will have a shot.

2022 will be Australia or USA.

What I know for sure is that 2018 it will be in Europe cause it will be 12 years since the last one held there.
TEBC está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup