daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 29th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #5381
Big Cat

Likes (Received): 4

I know, I am just making a bold shot
Big Cat no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #5382
poxuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cat View Post
My prediction:

1. The 2018 bid will go to Europe: England or Russia.

2. The 2022 bid will go to Australia or Indonesia.
I practically agree, but with all respect to Indonesia, they are not "ready" to host biggest football event in 2022. Not because of infrastructure or finances. But because they are not among football nations on that moment (#127 in FIFA rating). But it doesn't mean that they will not host WC later. Australia, as I think, is 99% winner.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #5383
Big Cat

Ok, I am making the final correction to my prediction:

1. The 2018 bid will go to Europe - Russia.

2. The 2022 bid will go to Australia.
Big Cat no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #5384
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

I wouldn't be suprised if the US and England work out some backroom deal to get england 2018 and the usa 2022
mattec no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #5385
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

2018: England (Even if they don't have the best bid, they got the most support)
2022: Australia or US
2026: US or Australia
2030: Uruguay/Argentina
2034: Europe
2038: Asia
2042: Africa
2046: Americas
2050: Europe

With Europe hosting every third world cup, Europe would have gotten 2018 and then 2030. But the fact that it will be 100 years since the first world cup will give Uruguay the world cup in 2030. And lead Europe to wait until 2034. I also think the fact that Uruguay will need Argentina as cohosts opens for joint bids on a regular basis. And hence that either BeNeLux or Iberia will host in 2034. And with joint bids being regular I think that three way bids will be allowed under the right circumstances after a while.
Kjello0 no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #5386
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

I don't think that Uruguay and Argentina combined can build 12 WC worthy stadiums...

Only 3 stadiums can be used between Buenos Aires and Montevideo.

Last edited by hngcm; November 29th, 2009 at 08:16 PM.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #5387
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjello0 View Post
With Europe hosting every third world cup
Na. There'll be a World Cup in Europe every 8 years.
Aka no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #5388
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
as it should be...!!
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #5389
Kjello0

Quote:
FIFA has already stoped that. As you know the rules now is that no country can bid if the confederation has hosted one of the past two world cups. Meaning no confederation can host the world cup more often than every 12 years. However, as I think Uruguay/Argentina will get 2030, it will be 16 years between two world cups in Europe.
Kjello0 no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #5390
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

With time I believe even that will end, the same way as the rotation system.
Aka no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #5391
Kjello0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
I don't think that Uruguay and Argentina combined can build 12 WC worthy stadiums...

Only 3 stadiums can be used between Buenos Aires and Montevideo.
The World Cup can be hosted with 10 venues. Just like in South Africa next year.
Uruguay can host 4 venues, while Argentina take 6 or 8 venues. And when was the last time any country didn't have to renovate or build new stadiums to host the World Cup? Even Germany used 6,6 billion $ on their stadiums.
Kjello0 no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #5392
Kjello0

Quote:
With time I believe even that will end, the same way as the rotation system.
The only reason the rotation system was stoped was becouse Brazil became the only bid for 2014. With the current system that won't happen as there are always three confederations allowed to bid. Compared to only one confederation with the rotation system.
Kjello0 no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #5393
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
The World Cup can be hosted with 10 venues. Just like in South Africa next year.
Uruguay can host 4 venues, while Argentina take 6 or 8 venues. And when was the last time any country didn't have to renovate or build new stadiums to host the World Cup? Even Germany used 6,6 billion $ on their stadiums.
Uruguay has no need for even 4 45k+ stadiums.

Besides the Centenario, the next largest is a 30k stadium, followed by a couple of 25k stadiums...
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #5394
Kjello0

And does South Africa need 10 venues of 40 000 plus?
Does Poland and Ukraine need 4 venues each of 30 000 plus?
Did Switzerland and Austria need 4 venues each of 30 000 plus?
Did Portugal need 8 venues of 30 000 plus?
Did Japan and South Korea need 10 venues each of 40 000 plus?
The answer is probably no to all those questions.

If every country hosting the World Cup or Euro should need stadiums of that size on a regular basis we are limiting the number of possible hosts to a minimum.

Anyways, Uruguay and Argintina is preparing a joint bid for 2030. The bid is supported by CONMEBOL and FIFA has stated that they are positive to a such idea. And if they actually end up bidding that will probably give Uruguay the World Cup in 2030 no matter what the needs are afterwards.
Kjello0 no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM   #5395
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
And does South Africa need 10 venues of 40 000 plus?
Does Poland and Ukraine need 4 venues each of 30 000 plus?
Did Switzerland and Austria need 4 venues each of 30 000 plus?
Did Portugal need 8 venues of 30 000 plus?
Did Japan and South Korea need 10 venues each of 40 000 plus?
The answer is probably no to all those questions.

If every country hosting the World Cup or Euro should need stadiums of that size on a regular basis we are limiting the number of possible hosts to a minimum.

Anyways, Uruguay and Argintina is preparing a joint bid for 2030. The bid is supported by CONMEBOL and FIFA has stated that they are positive to a such idea. And if they actually end up bidding that will probably give Uruguay the World Cup in 2030 no matter what the needs are afterwards.
To the nearest million:

South Africa - 49 m
Poland - 38m
Ukraine - 46m
Switzerland - 8m
Austria - 8m
Portugal - 11m
Japan - 128m
South Korea - 49m

Uruguay - 3m (of which 1m is in the capital)

There is certainly more likelihood of the stadiums being supported in the the countries you mentioned, whereas in Uruguay that's not the case.

A joint bid is certainly the only way forward, even then I imagine the bid will be quite Argentina heavy.
SSE no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM   #5396
Kjello0

I'm of course aware of the size of the population in the different countries. But it still doesn't mean they need such big stadiums. And who says Uruguay will keep the stadiums that big afterwards? You know it's possible with temporary stands during a World Cup. It's no problem to build a 45 000 seat stadium and only keep 20 000 afterwards. Hell, London Olympic Stadium will only keep 25 000 out of 80 000 after the 2012 Olympics.

Stadiums won't be a problem for Uruguay regarding hosting a World Cup. Accomidation however, that will be a bigger problem.
Kjello0 no está en línea  
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM   #5397
bigbossman

well switzerland has proven it does, Young boys, Zurich and Basel get healthy crowds especially for big games. Same for Salzburg in Austria.

Ukraine and Poland have the population to suggest they do, and given the fact that the crowsds for the three clubs with newish stadiums in ukraine have shot up it's safe to say they needed them.

In Portugal the big 3 needed them, so you can argue did Braga, Guimaraes and boavista at the time. The rest not really.

South korean and japan should never have been given the world cup and South Africa does have a football culture and big games get very big crowds!
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #5398
Big Cat

2018 World Cup bidders present cases in Cape Town

The nations bidding to host the 2018 World Cup have been busy promoting their campaigns in Cape Town ahead of the draw for the 2010 tournament.

England is among the countries keen to persuade Fifa delegates that they have what it takes to stage the 2018 event.

David Beckham, a key part of England's bid team in South Africa, told the BBC: "So far it has gone well.

"The meetings I have had with delegates and officials have been very positive, but we need to carry on working hard."

Midfielder Beckham, who is hoping to be part of England manager Fabio Capello's squad for next year's finals, added: "It's just about keeping it going and not being arrogant, which is a big thing.

"Just because we are England, it does not mean that we are automatically going to get the World Cup.

"We realise that there is a lot of hard work to be done and we have to be prepared to do that."

Beckham, who admitted to being "star-struck" after meeting with Uefa president Michel Platini, added: "It would mean so much to get it.

"To have the World Cup in our country, to take my sons to the World Cup would be special and I think there are many fathers that will be thinking that."

Italian Capello also threw his weight behind the 2018 campaign, saying: "I think England is the best place to have the (2018) World Cup.

"It has fantastic stadiums and people who love football - it's the home of football."

England are one of nine bids for either the 2018 or 2022 tournaments, along with Russia, Australia, the USA, Japan, Mexico, Indonesia and joint bids from Portugal-Spain and Netherlands-Belgium. Qatar and South Korea are also making bids solely for the 2022 staging.

But there was controversy when the arrival of Luis Figo, ambassador for the Portugal-Spain campaign, interrupted the USA's video presentation of their bid.

It led to a rush of reporters and photographers leaving the USA's video right in the middle of the presentation.

"It was totally ruined," Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber said. "I think there's an element of fair-play in our sport. That was bad form."

The Portugal-Spain bid later apologised with a spokesman saying: "We are very sorry - this was not intended."

According to former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein, England's bid remains strong despite a recent series of "own goals".

"There's a year to go," Dein told BBC Sport. "We still have a great chance."

While Beckham has brought plenty of glitz to England's bid, Dein could yet to play a key role in helping to deliver vital Fifa executive committee votes, despite not having an official role at present.

Last month Dein, who has a network of worldwide contacts, travelled to Nigeria for the Under-17 World Cup - a competition where six Fifa executive members were in attendance - following an invitation from Fifa and Confederation of African Football member Amos Adamu.

And Dein, who has been attending the Soccerex conference in South Africa, signalled that he would be willing to take on a more active role if asked by the Football Association.

"Talks are ongoing and I'm ready to help my country if called upon to do so," said Dein, who was a director of Arsenal for more than 20 years.

England's 2018 bid has suffered with its public relations and internal feuding at board level, hence Dein's reference to "own goals."

The 2018 bid team has been criticised for purchasing luxury handbags, one for the wife or partner of each of the 24 Fifa voters, with Fifa vice president Jack Warner returning the gift, describing his wife as "sacrosanct".

And Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards resigned from the board just weeks after six other board members stood down, while Karen Brady, one of those to quit her post, has stated the bid could be derailed by "infighting".

"What's going on is heavy politics and that needs to be resolved," said Dein, who in the past has been on the Football Association's main board as well its international committee.

"It's not an easy situation. There have been a lot of changes and sadly a few own goals scored.

"It's important we start rowing to the same beat, but there are still a lot of goals to score against the opposition.

Fifa's 24-member ruling executive will choose the hosts next December.

Link
Big Cat no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #5399
ormey

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugenholz View Post
I don't think England will get another big event next to the Olympics in such a short time. They have the best venues atm though. The WC 2018 should be held in the low countries. For the first time a world championship tournament in the Netherlands would be a great reward for the beautifull attacking football Holland showed in the last decade.
brazil 2014 wc and rio 2016 olympics so dont rule it out
ormey no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #5400
Kenni
What?

Los Angeles, California USA

For City Council World Cup is the Goal
LA could bend it like Beckham in 2018
By ANNIE GEFFROY

The City of Angels may have lost the competition to host the Olympics, but for the City Council an international sporting event is still the goal.

This week the Budget and Finance Committee will motion for a bid to host the FIFA World Cup in either 2018 or 2022.

If the U.S. is chosen as the host country, approximately ten different venues will be selected to actually host matches. FIFA is currently considering 27 U.S. cities.

The last time the World Cup was in Los Angeles was in 1994 at the Rosebowl in Pasadena.

But even if FIFA moves on to greener fields, LA still wants a piece of the action.

Council members would also like to be the host of the International Broadcast Center if the World Cup comes to the U.S. This would mean thousands of reporters, cameras and crew members would be in town covering matches across the nation.

Media? In LA? What else is new?

If the World Cup comes to LA, locals will have more to be excited about than the invasion of soccer superstars like David Beckham. The city of Los Angeles would see millions in much needed revenue from the tournament.

The next two World Cup tournaments are set to be South Africa (2010) and Brazil (2014).
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sp...-78152287.html

LA to submit bid to host World Cup in 2018 or 2022

LOS ANGELES — The City Council has voted to submit a bid for Los Angeles to become a host city of the FIFA World Cup in 2018 or 2022.

The council voted Tuesday to submit an application but FIFA would have to choose the United States to be a host country first.

Britain, Russia and Qatar are also hoping to host world soccer's showcase event.

FIFA, the sport's international governing body, will make a decision by June 2011.

Councilman Tom LaBonge, who sponsored the motion, says Los Angeles has a great record of hosting international sporting events, including the Olympics in 1932 and 1984.

The Rose Bowl in Pasadena and Stanford Stadium in Northern California were two of six stadiums used nationwide for the 1994 World Cup.

Soccer Capsules: CONCACAF endorses U.S. bid to host World Cup

November 24, 2009 12:16 AM
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK — The U.S. bid to host the World Cup again in 2018 or 2022 has been endorsed by CONCACAF, football's governing body for North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Mexico withdrew its bid in September, leaving the United States as the lone contender from the Americas.

"The United States can count on the full support of CONCACAF," CONCACAF president Jack Warner said Monday.

Warner is a member of FIFA's 24-man executive committee, which will decide the 2018 and 2022 hosts in December 2010.

Australia, England, Indonesia, Japan, Netherlands-Belgium, Russia, and Spain-Portugal have also bid to host both World Cups, and Qatar and South Korea bid for 2022 only. England and Spain are viewed as the leading contenders to host in 2018, while the United States is viewed among the top candidates for 2022.

Brazil will host the 2014 World Cup.
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/spo...orses-bid.html
Kenni no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup