daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 6th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #5401
Kenni
What?

In L.A. the City Council is talking of either refurbishing/renovating the existing stadiums or building a new one.

The race is on!
Kenni no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #5402
OperateOnMe

Likes (Received): 8

Well, England definately don't need to build a new stadium and quite a few football clubs simultaneously will be able to fill them. Spain possibly too.

I am hoping Russia, don't get a look-in cause that artificial turf is rubbish and they will try and cheat the World Cup if they get it and don't rip-it-out and replace it with grass. It's a disgrace they use it to win against other nations by having an unfair advantage now and it would be less than 'fair-play' if they tried to use it to win a World Cup.
OperateOnMe no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #5403
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

WTF
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #5404
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjello0 View Post
Did Japan and South Korea need 10 venues each of 40 000 plus?
Japan actually makes use of all but one (Miyagi) venue. Sendai won't move to Miyagi because they like their little stadium.

South Korea on the other hand...
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #5405
r0w84

Likes (Received): 0

After a bit of crowd trouble in the West Ham and Milwall match everyonesays that would severly damage england's WC Bid. Well check this out from Brazil after a team gets relegated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqRXNKxDoTw are Brazil not holding the WC in 4 years nah?
r0w84 no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #5406
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0w84 View Post
After a bit of crowd trouble in the West Ham and Milwall match everyonesays that would severly damage england's WC Bid. Well check this out from Brazil after a team gets relegated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqRXNKxDoTw are Brazil not holding the WC in 4 years nah?
There was a rotational policy and no competition for 2014. England is facing fierce competition, but even so, I said at the time that West Ham/Milwall wouldn't affect the bid much.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #5407
magic_johnson

Likes (Received): 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9obunaoJvOo
A good vid, showcasing Australia's bid
magic_johnson no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #5408
Ceefee

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_johnson View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9obunaoJvOo
A good vid, showcasing Australia's bid
ah cool the one with nicole kidman. finally its on youtube!
Ceefee no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #5409
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

^Love it! Kept giving me the shivers down my spine.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #5410
Ceefee

keep it in the commonwealth!!!
eng 2018 (i think has it so far although sportugal and russia might prove tough but eng has it for sure you would think)
aus: 2022 (only USA could take it away from aus well have to see how it all works out but looks like aus has gotten through the 'other football codes' battle with the anz stadium upgrade and possible new stadiums in campbelltown (NSW-4th location probable this will then be used for west tigers keeping NRL happy), perth and melbourne e-gate (rumours?)).

btw should someone remove mexico from the vote i thought their bid was canned...
Ceefee no está en línea  
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #5411
Roland Brew

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
Hey Hey Hey cool down buddy,
Does Melbourne have a greater than 12K indoor Swimming complex?

For Hockey, Melbourne does not have 15K main pitch.

The indoor arena at Melbourne are sufficient enough only for CWG level, cos u expect, Volleyball, Gymnastics, Basketball, Handball all greater tha 10K for finals, Note: No clubbing of venues till prelims for these events. May be u can use the indoor Velodrome for Handball finals but not the rest.

What Melbourne did in 2006 was use the Exhibition Complex thoroughly and the available Indoor arena. But for the rest of Olympic Indoor events; Judo, Taekwondo, Karate, fencing, boxing etc they need good infrastructure.

What if T20 Cricket is included in 2020 or 2024, will MCG host the Track & field events in the evening with the pitch covered and have the Cricket event in the mornings?

U could have avoided the London epic hearing, as I already warned you.

So pls don't mislead the forum by meretricrious statements. Agreed that Melbourne has good sports infrastructure, but surely not to the extent of hosting Summer Games with very low Stadium investment.

Guys, Can we go back to the original intention of the thread FIFA WC 2018/2022.
Don't seem to hear anything about the European bids for a while, anyone there?
Jesus, in all my times in visiting this forum I've read a fair bit of stupid s**t but never as much as seems to come out of you. What's more, you have the same tones and tactics as the republicans, ha ha - You cockily insult people in a matter-of-fact, just telling it how I see it kind of a way, while at the same time you bend the truth for your own purposes.

Right then, let's start debunking your bull***t. The hypothesis was that Melbourne would be able to hold the Olympic games tomorrow if it had to.

You disagree with this premise. No wait, to disagree would actually be polite and that's not like you. You slam this notion. But you don't actually point out why nor BACK UP any of your claims with that little thing called evidence. You throw words around as if you know what you're talking about, i.e. "The indoor arena at Melbourne are sufficient enough only for CWG level, cos u expect, Volleyball, Gymnastics, Basketball, Handball all greater tha 10K for finals...".

Which Melbourne Arena are you referring to exactly? Maybe one of these:

The MCG. Capacity: 100,000

Etihad Stadium. Retractable roof. Capacity: 56,347

Olympic Park Stadium. Capacity: 18,500

Melbourne Rectangular Stadium. Capacity: 31,500. To be completed 2010. It'll look like this:

So far it looks like this:

Rod Laver Arena. Retractable roof. Capacity: 16,820

Vodafone Arena. Retractable roof. Capacity: 11,000.

I should say at this point that this is where the Basketball finals for the Commonwealth Games (held in Melbourne in 2006) were played. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Commonwealth_Games)

At the 2012 olympics the basketball and handball finals will be held at the Basketball Arena: 12,000 capacity. Only 1000 people more than Melbourne(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lympics_venues)

Here' a look at Melbourne Sports Precinct. As you can see most of the venues are walking distance from each other. And from the CBD.

Quote:
Does Melbourne have a greater than 12K indoor Swimming complex?
The Melbourne Aquatic Centre includes seating for around 5,000 with temporary seats boosting the total capacity to over 10,000 as was the case for the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

By the way, where did you get 12k figure from? Did you just pull that figure out of your ars*? What does it matter anyway if 10k would be more than enough.

The Aquatics Centre in London, which will host diving, swimming, synchronised swimming and water polo and will have a spectator capacity of 17,500 for swimming and diving. After the games it'll go back to 2.500 seats.
(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatics_Centre_(London))

Quote:
For Hockey, Melbourne does not have 15K main pitch.
Neither does London. London's Olympic Hockey Centre will be built in the Olympic Park at Stratford in East London. It will have two venues for the Olympic hockey competition at the 2012 Summer Olympics with capacities of 15,000 and 5,000 respectively. After the games the hockey centre will be scaled down to a 5,000 seat arena and a training pitch and moved north to Eton Manor. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic...Centre_(London).

For the commonwealth games hockey was played at the State Netball and Hockey Centre, Melbourne. The main Hockey pitch is surrounded by seating areas which can accommodate temporary seating for up to 8,000 spectators.

(source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_N...onwealth_Games)

Quote:
What Melbourne did in 2006 was use the Exhibition Complex thoroughly and the available Indoor arena. But for the rest of Olympic Indoor events; Judo, Taekwondo, Karate, fencing, boxing etc they need good infrastructure.
Says who? Why?

(For the London Olympics) The ExCeL Exhibition Centre [will be used] for boxing, fencing, judo, table tennis, taekwondo, weightlifting, and wrestling. Four separate arenas will be used with capacities between 6,000 and 10,000.
(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lympics_venues)

Mm... I guess using an Exhibition Centre is not such a bad idea. Certainly, if it's good enough for London then it's good enough for Melbourne...

Melbourne Exhibition Centre.

Quote:
What if T20 Cricket is included in 2020 or 2024, will MCG host the Track & field events in the evening with the pitch covered and have the Cricket event in the mornings?
Oopsy, Daisy... Now you've done it. Yep, by being so preocuppied with coming across like a person who knows what he's talking about, you've actually let the cat out of the bag, ha ha...

Out of all the cities in the world, there's probably no better city prepared to host multiple, repeat, multiple cricket matches in first rate venues with large seating capacities than Melbourne. I guess you don't know that Australian football (AFL) which was created and has its spiritual home in Melbourne is actually played on cricket ovals.

Idiot.

Quote:
So pls don't mislead the forum by meretricrious statements. Agreed that Melbourne has good sports infrastructure, but surely not to the extent of hosting Summer Games with very low Stadium investment
Mm... I guess you mean meretricious. But you know what's funny about you using that word? Check out the dictionary definition:

mer⋅e⋅tri⋅cious  /ˌmɛrɪˈtrɪʃəs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [mer-i-trish-uhs]

adjective

1. alluring by a show of flashy or vulgar attractions; tawdry.
2. based on pretense, deception, or insincerity.
3. pertaining to or characteristic of a prostitute

Sounds like a perfect description of you. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Quote:
Guys, Can we go back to the original intention of the thread FIFA WC 2018/2022
The only thing that you wrote that comes close to making any sense.

My apologies, I know that this post is a little off topic but this dude has been talking sh*t for so long that I just had to reply.

Last edited by Roland Brew; December 14th, 2009 at 11:01 PM.
Roland Brew no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #5412
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

and a good reply at that!

Anyway, why do people feel the need to compare London to Melbourne? London should have greater sporting infrastructure then Melbourne when it comes to sport. Population of 12,875,000 vs. that of 3,892,419. Last I checked, Melbourne was still the sporting capital of the world, and held the first summer games in Australia, and the Southern Hemisphere.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #5413
Ceefee

BACK TO THE BIDS!!! anyone know what the fifa regards as too close for previous cups i ask in terms of the usa bid as it hosting the 1994 cup is supposedly a major detriment to its bid proposal????
Ceefee no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #5414
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Of course it's the biggest hurdle to the USA. 24 years for a country where football is the fourth sport at best seems close for many. The USA and their bid has a huge amount going for it, but without a convincing answer as to why they should get the chance again, so soon, it might flounder.
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #5415
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4637

- 2018: must be in Europe (England or UK ?)
- 2022: North America (USA ? Canada ?)
- 2026: Australia
- 2030: Uruguay/Argentina
But 3 World Cups outside Europe.....
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #5416

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Of course it's the biggest hurdle to the USA. 24 years for a country where football is the fourth sport at best seems close for many. The USA and their bid has a huge amount going for it, but without a convincing answer as to why they should get the chance again, so soon, it might flounder.
- The best stadiums
- The biggest amount of people will be able to see it
- Best accomodations
- Best communications
- Souring market for the game

I actully can't think of a better host.
1772 no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #5417
Ceefee

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
- 2018: must be in Europe (England or UK ?)
- 2022: North America (USA ? Canada ?)
- 2026: Australia
- 2030: Uruguay/Argentina
But 3 World Cups outside Europe.....
china??? surely they would get the WC if and when they wanted it i heard they were thinking 2026... depends on where 2018/2022 go.

also on 1772 post, yes USA is a very good bet but isnt it part of fifa's 'vision' to expand the game and seeing as they will get huge money from the next few cups due to proximity to european timezone and the income from a probable european bid they will be able to overlook the financial gains of the tournament and look out to bring the game to new people in 2022. really comes down to money or spread the game? usa or aus???
Ceefee no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #5418
Capital78

Likes (Received): 3

I'm not sure about 2018, but 2022 has to be organized in Australia.
Capital78 no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #5419
RobH

Likes (Received): 10315

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
- The best stadiums
- The biggest amount of people will be able to see it
- Best accomodations
- Best communications
- Souring market for the game

I actully can't think of a better host.
Yes, that's all very well and that will always be true of the US. But that misses the point I was trying to make. The US could've said the same if they bidded for 2010, but everyone would obviously consider that too soon after '94.

Showing 2018/22 is not too soon is a question the US has to answer, not avoid, and they need to invoke more than technical criteria in answering this question. The IOC passed up a US bid (Chicago 2016) that was offering all the things you mentioned. Who's to say FIFA won't be charmed by the Ozzies for 2022, a first time host in a reasonably exotic location? Who's to say intangibles, the spirit of a world cup Down Under, won't trump the US' technical offerings? The US has a great technical base to build on, but that mightn't be enough on its own.

As for saying "I can't think of a better host", well, plenty can. Better, best etc are all very subjective.

'94 is a hurdle as well as, of course, a huge plus. The US needs to prove 2018/22 is not too soon to host again, and merely citing its technical strengths, such an obvious given for any US sporting bid, doesn't do this. Not for me anyway.
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #5420
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

2022 is 28 years after 1994, I don't think that's too close.

I think a China bid could easily trump the USA's bid, but an OZ bid full of barely 40k stadiums and a bunch of ovals...
hngcm no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup