daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:31 AM   #5721
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

OZ bid

Self Delete

Last edited by antriksh_sfo; May 2nd, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM   #5722
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

OZ bid

Guys,
You are soooooo dumb.
Even the OZ bid Document just lists 8 cities and you are counting on smaller towns.

Even Geelong/Townsville/Darwin/Hobart do not have population more than 160,000 or 180,000
Will, the Oz Govt make it mandatory for the loclaities to buy one ticket per family???

Note: MCG, Perth, Adelaide are going to have stadia with lengths >170.
Std Football field max is 120 mts for clear spectator view.
Do you think such Cricket stadia will be given a go ahead by FIFA???

BTW, why so much fuss for a doomed to be losing bid.
Well, Have fun in your fall through the wonderland.
Face it OZ bid is no superior to Qatar.
Anyway all the best

Last edited by antriksh_sfo; May 2nd, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:08 AM   #5723
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
Guys,
You are soooooo dumb.
Even the OZ bid Document just lists 8 cities and you are counting on smaller towns.

Even Geelong/Townsville/Darwin/Hobart do not have population more than 160,000 or 180,000
Will, the Oz Govt make it mandatory for the loclaities to buy one ticket per family???

Anyway all the best
Lol, you have no idea what you're talking about. Stick to cricket or whatever it is you Indians are into.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:15 AM   #5724
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Guys,
You are soooooo dumb.

Anyway all the best
Lets look at this.

AUSTRALIA
Melbourne(Sporting Capital of the World)
Sydney(5th Sporting Capital of the World)
Oh where's Doha?
Brisbane
Perth
Adelaide
all over 1million population when Qatar has only 1.4 in a whole country! And the stadiums are also reconfigurable!
Aswell Australia has
Gold Coast 500k +
Newcastle 500k +
Canberra 300k +

And so many more!
Solopop no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM   #5725
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
Lets look at this.

AUSTRALIA
Oh where's Doha?
Brisbane
Perth
Adelaide
all over 1million population when Qatar has only 1.4 in a whole country! And the stadiums are also reconfigurable!
Aswell Australia has
Gold Coast 500k +
Newcastle 500k +
Canberra 300k +

And so many more!
There's 8 cities right there, plus one city can have 2 stadiums. I'm pretty sure Townsville will be in the bid as well so there's 10 stadiums.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5726
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
Lets look at this.

AUSTRALIA
Oh where's Doha?
Brisbane
Perth
Adelaide
Aswell Australia has
Gold Coast 500k +
Newcastle 500k +
Canberra 300k +

And so many more!
SOOO FUNNY
Least of all new Catsle has 280K population.
Stop misleading the forumers.

Last edited by antriksh_sfo; May 2nd, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM   #5727
Wezza
©

Quote:
SOOO FUNNY
Wow what an informed reply.... I'm yet to see anything with a bit of substance from you.

Have you looked at the poll results by the way? Australia has the second highest number of votes behind England. So obviously a few people believe Australia can host it.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM   #5728
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

+1. If they're going to start and argument, back it up, don't laugh it off.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:09 PM   #5729
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
SOOO FUNNY
Least of all new Catsle has 280K population.
Stop misleading the forumers.
Greater Newcastle is 523,662, in 2006!

Ignorance is bliss. >>
Solopop no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM   #5730
Wezza
©

Like I said, never let the truth get in the way of a good story............ L.O.L!
Wezza no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:38 PM   #5731
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrja View Post
Also, I wouldn't write off the bid so easily if I were you. Its being backed by a number of prominent figures in the football world, most importantly FIFA president Sepp Blatter.
Sepp is a genius. Perhaps we should read what he actually said:

"The Arab world deserves the World Cup and Qatar has a good chance to become the first country from the region to host it,"

Now, some people have taken that to mean FIFA is "backing" Qatar's bid for 2022. But if it is, it is about as non-committal a vote of support as I've ever seen! Nowhere did Sepp say the first Arab hosting (of which Qatar has a "good chance", not a certain chance) is to be be in 2022.

Given the limited options in the region, that's akin to him visiting New York and saying "The USA has a good chance of being North America's next host". Woop de doo, nobody would bat an eyelid if he said that!

What sounds like a big compliment, and what the Ozzie press has morphed into dreadful news for their own nation's bid (see this article), is in fact meaningless when you read it! Sepp, I take my hat off to you. Diplomacy at its very best/worst!

Last edited by RobH; May 2nd, 2010 at 01:45 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM   #5732
GideaParkHammer

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Sepp is a genius. Perhaps we should read what he actually said:

"The Arab world deserves the World Cup and Qatar has a good chance to become the first country from the region to host it,"

Now, some people have taken that to mean FIFA is "backing" Qatar's bid for 2022. But if it is, it is about as non-committal a vote of support as I've ever seen! Nowhere did Sepp say the first Arab hosting (of which Qatar has a "good chance", not a certain chance) is to be be in 2022.

Given the limited options in the region, that's akin to him visiting New York and saying "The USA has a good chance of being North America's next host". Woop de doo, nobody would bat an eyelid if he said that!

What sounds like a big compliment, and what the Ozzie press has morphed into dreadful news for their own nation's bid (see this article), is in fact meaningless when you read it! Sepp, I take my hat off to you. Diplomacy at its very best/worst!
I thought most of the world had learnt to take Sepp Blatter's words with a whole truckload of salt. Whatever country he is asked about he would say "they have a good chance"...Though, he can hardly say..."Hell No, there will never be a World Cup hosted in that shithole".

As for my "vote" on the host for the 2018 and 2012, I will go for England 2018 and Australia 2022.

Of course I am biased towards England, but I do think it is our time. By 2018, it will be over 40 years since we hosted the World Cup. I know Russia has never hosted the World Cup, I just do not think the Russian bid is strong. I am not a great lover of dual country World Cups, and I actually feel Spain would have had a stronger bid if it was just a Spanish bid.

Some people have showed concern that the World Cup could be hosted in Countries that have English as an official language 3 times in succession. However this is irrelevant, and the Finals were staged in 3 Spanish speaking countries, (78,82,86), in a row.

Australia has the infrastructure and support to host a succesful Finals.
GideaParkHammer no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM   #5733
amrja

Likes (Received): 0

I love how easily offended you Ozzies are when people are ignorant about your country, yet you're so blatantly ignorant about others. You speak of how small Qatar is, but you don't even take into account that it despite its small size it is accessible to tens of millions of people who have been dying to watch a world cup in the region.

One thing is for sure, its a hell of a lot easier and more convenient for most people to reach Qatar than Australia. Then you have the matter of an almost unlimited budget, innovative ideas which can really tilt the balance, and Qatar's proven ability to host huge events (2006 Asian Games). It says a lot that at least one of the five announced stadiums will be downsized afterwards, and the part disassembled will be put up in a poorer country to build a new 20,000 seater stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Dude if you believe anything that comes out of Sepp Blatters mouth you've got issues. He just pays lip service to whatever country he is in at the time. Besides, you have to win enough votes to host the WC, it's not just whatever the president says. I give Qatar a .01% chance of hosting either 2018 or 2022. Maybe a joint bid in the future with a neighbouring nation (UAE?) would be their best shot.
The whole point is that the bid is quite serious, and shouldn't just be brushed aside lightly. If the 2018 WC is in Europe, then I think Australia will have some serious competition. As for the votes, I think by the time the full details of the bid are revealed they will speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Do I think that construction workers or maids are the majority? No. However I am guessing they and other low paid migrant workers are a sizable minority which is rather important considering we are only starting from a number of 1 million or so to start with.
And that right there is your mistake. You are looking at a number of hundreds of millions - people from all over the Middle East and Asia will be more than glad to make the short trip to watch the World Cup. The first stadium in the video can be reached more quickly from Bahrain than Doha! Spectators will most definitely not be a problem. That is not to mention that Qatar's population is projected to exceed 3 million by that time.
amrja no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:36 PM   #5734
GideaParkHammer

To Amjra

This is a genuine question.

Would Qatar accept some of the official Fifa Partners,(sponsors), such as Budweiser? I know Qatar is fairly liberal, but would it cause offence to have advertisements from companies that provide alcholic drinks?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:39 PM   #5735
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrja View Post
I love how easily offended you Ozzies are when people are ignorant about your country, yet you're so blatantly ignorant about others. You speak of how small Qatar is, but you don't even take into account that it despite its small size it is accessible to tens of millions of people who have been dying to watch a world cup in the region.
I think you're totally missing the point here. Yes, there are plenty of nations nearby but what is the point of building 5 or 6 stadiums in the middle of nowhere? What happens after the world cup? I'm sure the FIFA officials who are voting will see this when the time comes to decide.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:48 PM   #5736
amrja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
I think you're totally missing the point here. Yes, there are plenty of nations nearby but what is the point of building 5 or 6 stadiums in the middle of nowhere? What happens after the world cup? I'm sure the FIFA officials who are voting will see this when the time comes to decide.
They'll also see this:

Quote:
The upper tier of each of the five stadiums will be removed after the tournament. They will then be donated to developing countries that lack sports infrastructure.
amrja no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:52 PM   #5737
amrja

Quote:
Originally Posted by GideaParkHammer View Post
To Amjra

This is a genuine question.

Would Qatar accept some of the official Fifa Partners,(sponsors), such as Budweiser? I know Qatar is fairly liberal, but would it cause offence to have advertisements from companies that provide alcholic drinks?
I doubt that'll be an issue, the only thing I can see as a potential problem is fans wanting to drink on the streets. Public consumption of alcohol (i.e. streets, malls, etc) is not allowed, but another poster said they were going to have fanzones in which alcohol will be served next to the stadiums.
amrja no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:31 PM   #5738
RobH

Yes, to be quite honest, I think the alcohol issue is making a mountain of a molehill. It'll be dealt with and accommodated. Visitors can't expect every world cup to be the same in all respects.

I'm still yet to be convinced, though, that building several new stadiums in such a small region is workable after the world cup, even if they are partially temporary. I'm struggling to find stats for the Qatari league's attendences but the best I could find was a list of league averages in Asia for leagues with an average attendence of more than 8000. The Qatari league was not on this list, suggesting to me their average is below 8000.
RobH no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM   #5739
GideaParkHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Yes, to be quite honest, I think the alcohol issue is making a mountain of a molehill. It'll be dealt with and accommodated. Visitors can't expect every world cup to be the same in all respects.

I'm still yet to be convinced, though, that building several new stadiums in such a small region is workable after the world cup, even if they are partially temporary. I'm struggling to find stats for the Qatari league's attendences but the best I could find was a list of league averages in Asia for leagues with an average attendence of more than 8000. The Qatari league was not on this list, suggesting to me their average is below 8000.
Sorry RobH. I was asking a genuine question, not about consumption but about sponsorship. I was not trying to make a point, or "mountain out of a molehill". As you can tell, I am fairly new to these forums, so was not aware if this has been discussed before.

I come to this forum mainly to get information, and to add my own viewpoints. In this instance, I was purely seeking information.

Perhaps trolling is so common, that even simple requests are seen as having an auterior motive.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:27 PM   #5740
RobH

No, I wasn't having a go at you for asking the question. Sorry if that's how it came across. I was just stating my opinion that something like that could easily be made into a bigger issue than it is, especially when there are much weightier questions surrounding a Middle Eastern bid (particularly to do with stadiums).
RobH no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup