daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:50 PM   #5741
Sportsfan
Registered User
 
Sportsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 132
Likes (Received): 51

Australians aren't stupid, the Australian media is. They didn't learn their lesson from when Sydney bid for the 2000 Olympics. When Juan Antonio Samaranch came to visit Sydney during the bid, he said exactly the same thing about Sydney's bid being at the front of the pack - the Aussie media practically had an orgasm over that statement and splashed the next day's front pages with headlines like "Samaranch Hints at Sydney Success". What the Aussie media at the time ignored was that he'd said exactly the same thing in Beijing, Berlin, Manchester and Istanbul.

The Blatters and Samaranches of the world have to say these things to prospective bidders to keep the interest going. They get good PR by manipulating the local media.
Sportsfan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:14 PM   #5742
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,769
Likes (Received): 10322

Exactly. And meanwhile, the US is getting on with things quietly in background. They're really Australia's biggest rival.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM   #5743
GideaParkHammer
Registered User
 
GideaParkHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 247
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Exactly. And meanwhile, the US is getting on with things quietly in background. They're really Australia's biggest rival.
No problem re the Qatar thing, I was being too sensitive lol.

As for the US, I can imagine there being a lot of governmental pressure due to not winning the last few times they have bid for the Olympics.

I just think their bid is a little lazy. There seems little on offer that is different to the 1994 finals. There has been a development in the game, with the MLS growing in popularity, however FIFA would be better served giving the finals to a country such as Australia to aid in their development of the sport.
GideaParkHammer no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:47 PM   #5744
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
I think you're totally missing the point here. Yes, there are plenty of nations nearby but what is the point of building 5 or 6 stadiums in the middle of nowhere? What happens after the world cup? I'm sure the FIFA officials who are voting will see this when the time comes to decide.
And they are not in the middle of nowhere each one is in a city/town only one which is alrayyan is on the outskirts of the city.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:38 PM   #5745
nihad
doha rulz...
 
nihad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: doha/bangalore/malappuram
Posts: 861
Likes (Received): 91

well... qatar is small by size... we all know.. no one is responsible... a small country wont be having 6 or 7 major cities obviously... and population has increased from 0.6 million in 2002 to 1.7 million in jus eight years... and looking at the upcoming investments and job opputunities, it has to increase....

we are looking forward for 2022 world cup n not the next, its doha.. n u can all expect the amazing.. everything has to happen once for the first time until it repeated... its middleast n worldcup in this part of the world will boost fifa'a vision...
__________________

lots of things are always best misunderstood.
nihad no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:14 AM   #5746
Wezza
©
 
Wezza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Townsville
Posts: 8,861
Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
And they are not in the middle of nowhere each one is in a city/town only one which is alrayyan is on the outskirts of the city.
Well fill us in about these cities that the stadiums will be in? What sort of infrastructure do they have? How big are they etc etc?
Wezza no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:56 AM   #5747
antriksh_sfo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,098
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihad View Post
well... qatar is small by size... we all know.. no one is responsible... a small country wont be having 6 or 7 major cities obviously... and population has increased from 0.6 million in 2002 to 1.7 million in jus eight years... and looking at the upcoming investments and job opputunities, it has to increase....

we are looking forward for 2022 world cup n not the next, its doha.. n u can all expect the amazing.. everything has to happen once for the first time until it repeated... its middleast n worldcup in this part of the world will boost fifa'a vision...
+ 1. But still a joint bid with some other GCC would have been better.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:00 AM   #5748
antriksh_sfo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,098
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Well fill us in about these cities that the stadiums will be in? What sort of infrastructure do they have? How big are they etc etc?
Well, much similar to OZ bid cities.
Minus the camouflage of Greater XXXXX City.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:17 AM   #5749
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,883
Likes (Received): 6445

Oh, so similar.

Australia:

Sydney - 4,500,000
Melbourne - 4,000,000
Brisbane - 2,000,000
Perth - 1,600,000
Adelaide - 1,200,000
Gold Coast - 600,000
Newcastle - 550,000
Canberra - 400,000
Wollongong - 300,000
Sunshine Coast - 250,000

vs.

Qatar:

Doha - 344,939
Ar Rayyān - 272,465
Umm Şalāl Muḩammad - 29,391
Al Wakrah - 26,436
Al Khawr - 18,923
Ash Shaḩānīyah - 8,380
Dukhān - 7,250
Al Wukayr - 5,146
Hawar Islands - 3,875
Ar Ru'ays - 3,334

So very similar! We believe in birth control, you should try it.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM   #5750
Walbanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,239
Likes (Received): 1103

I think many forumers are just shocked at the "audacity" of Qatar in bidding. Some may forget that its that daring attitude which is dictating the path of the small Gulf country for right or wrong. So its no surprise that the countries leaders aspire to host the jewel of world sport.

I do find it interesting that Qatar supporters keep mentioning the potential population of 3 million + by 2022, some how believing that this is an acceptable population base to host the whole event, while most global cities wouldn't entertain the idea of hosting suggest by themselves. Their projected population was only just large enough to host an Olympics by 2016.

Does Qatar with a massive transient expat population need 6+ 20 000 seat stadiums post games?
No way.

I truly admire the gall of the Qatar leaders but I believe this is a dream out of reach of one small gulf nation. If anything it will keep the Australian and US bid honest and high quality not that they won't be anyhow.
I have no problems with Qatar being a regular host of the World Club championships.

Quote:
Then you have the matter of an almost unlimited budget, innovative ideas which can really tilt the balance
Unlimited? Well regardless of how expensive, the Cup finals will have a finite cost which Australia and the USA can match with Qatar. What does innovative ideas even mean, just a buzz word, a stadium costs what a stadium will cost. Australia has some of the best in the world with a minimum $800 million one to be build in Perth during this decade. The USA speaks for itself.

Quote:
Qatar's proven ability to host huge events (2006 Asian Games)
Well that's just blown the US and Australia out of the water. Multible Olympics in both countries, 4 Commonwealth games and a Rugby WC in Australia, a past FIFA WC and Women's WC in the USA not to mention the host of colossal internal sporting events in the US.

Quote:
It says a lot that at least one of the five announced stadiums will be downsized afterwards, and the part disassembled will be put up in a poorer country to build a new 20,000 seater stadium.
Unlike Australia who will use the downsized Stadium parts for other cities and towns to boost Football infrastructure in its own country which is a large goal of any World Cup.

The USA already has the infrastructure for the Cup and the local league has spend the last 15 years building impressive venues for the needs of the game.

Last edited by Walbanger; May 3rd, 2010 at 11:31 AM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:18 PM   #5751
antriksh_sfo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,098
Likes (Received): 2

OZ bid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Oh, so similar.

Australia:

Sydney - 4,500,000
Melbourne - 4,000,000
Brisbane - 2,000,000
.... 3,334

So very similar! We believe in birth control, you should try it.
I understand your frustration.

As everyone understands the final standings to be:
2018 : England
2022 : USA

With China trying to work their ass out for the 2026 edition, this would mean Asia would not be able to host till 2038 again as per FIFA policy.

This is too long for Australia.
Owing to Global warming/Climate Change the annihilation of Cities like Sydney btwn 2030 to 2050, this is indeed a desparate attempt by OZ.

Anyway does this bid not seem too ambitious?
Rather OZ can try improving the security in cities like Melbourne & Sydney in first place before bidding for 2038.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:52 PM   #5752
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,883
Likes (Received): 6445

What on earth are you on about? Global warming and climate change will annihilate Sydney? Shows how much, or rather, how little you know.

Also... you mention improving the security and safety of Sydney and Melbourne. Let me tell you right now, they are a hell of a lot safer than ANY city in your country. Both Sydney and Melbourne have hosted multiple international events, all of which have gone off without a hitch? Both cities which rank extremely highly in livability, quality of life, and I can't recall the last time a terrorist attack occurred here. I know why you mention safety, and security, but you should focus on your own country before criticising others - India doesn't exactly have a wonderful reputation as being safe, nor clean.

As far as I'm concerned, you're as dumb as that guy who keeps making up lists. If Australia stood no chance, it would never have bid. England and the US are not guaranteed a WC. Stop with the useless shit, and build yourself an argument. Not some hypothetical bullshit you were taught at home school.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:10 PM   #5753
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
What on earth are you on about? Global warming and climate change will annihilate Sydney? Shows how much, or rather, how little you know.

Also... you mention improving the security and safety of Sydney and Melbourne. Let me tell you right now, they are a hell of a lot safer than ANY city in your country. Both Sydney and Melbourne have hosted multiple international events, all of which have gone off without a hitch? Both cities which rank extremely highly in livability, quality of life, and I can't recall the last time a terrorist attack occurred here. I know why you mention safety, and security, but you should focus on your own country before criticising others - India doesn't exactly have a wonderful reputation as being safe, nor clean.

As far as I'm concerned, you're as dumb as that guy who keeps making up lists. If Australia stood no chance, it would never have bid. England and the US are not guaranteed a WC. Stop with the useless shit, and build yourself an argument. Not some hypothetical bullshit you were taught at home school.
Hey, Gaga, stop attacking. you yourself said that if Australia doesn't stand a chance it would have never have bid, so does every other bid !! Qatar is also a safe country, SO?! this is not a way to show your ""Oz world's"" spirit.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:24 PM   #5754
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,883
Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Hey, Gaga, stop attacking. you yourself said that if Australia doesn't stand a chance it would have never have bid, so does every other bid !! Qatar is also a safe country, SO?! this is not a way to show your ""Oz world's"" spirit.
Obviously Qatar stands a chance... I never said it didn't. Anyone who puts their forth a bid has a chance, but there are no guarantees as to who will win. In my previous post, I was never referring to the bid from Qatar, I never said Qatar isn't safe.... antriksh_sfo said that Australia needs to work on its safety and security, thus my post was directed toward him.

What are you on about? Oz Worlds Spirit? Put down the nargileh. I shouldn't have to filter everything I say to seem nice when some idiot is making up crap.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:45 PM   #5755
antriksh_sfo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,098
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Obviously Qatar stands a chance... I never said it didn't. Anyone who puts their forth a bid has a chance, but there are no guarantees as to who will win. In..... ? Put down the nargileh. I shouldn't have to filter everything I say to seem nice when some idiot is making up crap.
It sounds beter when you start respecting other bids also.

antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:49 PM   #5756
magic_johnson
Registered User
 
magic_johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 191
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
As everyone understands the final standings to be:
2018 : England
2022 : USA
"As everyone understands"
Yeah, the poll realy shows that...

Last edited by magic_johnson; May 3rd, 2010 at 01:56 PM.
magic_johnson no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:26 PM   #5757
amrja
Registered User
 
amrja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 373
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Unlimited? Well regardless of how expensive, the Cup finals will have a finite cost which Australia and the USA can match with Qatar. What does innovative ideas even mean, just a buzz word, a stadium costs what a stadium will cost. Australia has some of the best in the world with a minimum $800 million one to be build in Perth during this decade. The USA speaks for itself.
The budget for the WC will be absolutely massive, if the Qataris are going to try to bring the cup to their country they are going to do everything in their power to get it right.

And innovative is more than just a buzz word, i'd call coming up with technology that can cool stadiums by 15-20C pretty innovative, as are the ideas to reassemble the modular tiers in other countries and the use of solar power to ensure the stadiums are carbon neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Well that's just blown the US and Australia out of the water. Multible Olympics in both countries, 4 Commonwealth games and a Rugby WC in Australia, a past FIFA WC and Women's WC in the USA not to mention the host of colossal internal sporting events in the US.
Nobody said this "blows them out of the water", it shows that they have experience and are capable of pulling off large events. I don't know why you've taken that to mean that I think them hosting the Asian Games is a one up on Australia or the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Unlike Australia who will use the downsized Stadium parts for other cities and towns to boost Football infrastructure in its own country which is a large goal of any World Cup.

The USA already has the infrastructure for the Cup and the local league has spend the last 15 years building impressive venues for the needs of the game.
Maybe i'm missing the point here, but how is Qatar donating the tiers to countries with less developed sports infrastructure a bad thing?

Look, nobody here is saying Qatar's bid is sure to win, but it has a chance. The point is that the USA and Australia can expect some healthy competition from the Qatari bid, and that what the country lacks in population and football legacy it makes up in a number of different areas.
amrja no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM   #5758
Walbanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,239
Likes (Received): 1103

^ I guess I was a bit harsh there. The way I read it, it seemed as if you were marking out a difference in the bids, such as features unique to Qatar's bid which I was disputing.

Quote:
The budget for the WC will be absolutely massive, if the Qataris are going to try to bring the cup to their country they are going to do everything in their power to get it right.
Yes it will, are the Qatari's are happy to foot the bill?

Quote:
And innovative is more than just a buzz word, i'd call coming up with technology that can cool stadiums by 15-20C pretty innovative
That expensive innovation will put you in the same place what the USA and Australia don't have to pay a cent for, a player friendly environment. If we want to talk about innovations that will be relevant to only one bid, one could mention the innovative movable tier systems for 5th generation Stadium design planned for the Perth and Sydney venues which which will ensure maximum flexibility and use through the year.

Quote:
as are the ideas to reassemble the modular tiers in other countries and the use of solar power to ensure the stadiums are carbon neutral.
Noble proposals but not unique to Qatar. Australia will also use temporary tiers for venues in smaller cities, to be reassembled in other cities and towns but also could very well end up in Oceania nations like New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji use Soccer and Rugby use.

As for solar power, thats up to the governments and power sectors. Green thinking is in vogue everywhere, many arenas have solar panels on the roofs like the Staples center in LA. Australia and the USA are major players in renewable energy such as solar and wind. Using it for the WC is pure PR considering the energy industries of Qatar (Gas, Oil), the USA (Oil, Coal) and Australia (Gas, Coal, Uranium).

Quote:
Maybe i'm missing the point here, but how is Qatar donating the tiers to countries with less developed sports infrastructure a bad thing?

Look, nobody here is saying Qatar's bid is sure to win, but it has a chance. The point is that the USA and Australia can expect some healthy competition from the Qatari bid, and that what the country lacks in population and football legacy it makes up in a number of different areas.
I'm sorry if i was too negative, it's not a bad thing at all, its generous and commendable. My point is that some of the points you have raised about the pro's of Qatar's bid are not necessarily unique to Qatar's bid.
It seems that Qatar has to spend a huge amount just to get on a level playing field with Australia who have to pay a huge amount to compete against the USA. It's a daring bid but one that just seems a very large load for such a small country. Healthy competition is great and as I said before, it will keep Australia and the US honest and on their toes.

Last edited by Walbanger; May 3rd, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM   #5759
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Well thank god the arguments in this threads are settled
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:56 PM   #5760
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,883
Likes (Received): 6445

Only until 'antriksh_sfo' comes up with some more crap.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu